• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

v0mitg0d

Prodigy is only 14" tall, I'm guessing it is depth that is the problem.

Tiki looks pretty beautiful, my only problem with the build he did is that there is no SSD. For that kinda money, you gotta get them solid states man!

Falcon makes some nice stuff. This is making me nostalgia back to the times when you had to fold IDE cables.

I'm reaching out to the sales rep to see if I can swap in an SSD. Do you like their options? I'm thinking about sending them an SSD if they'll allow it, that way they can test it/burn it in with the part.

scogoth

$200 to six core? Wat? You have to get an X79 motherboard ($100ish more), and go to the 3930K, which is $600. That's like $500 more than a Z77/3570K

Fold? Shit, I remember taking a razor blade to the IDE cables so you could bundle them up rather than have them flat. Gotta make room for the cold cathode tubes. Oh the days of early PC modding.

Guess EMI never occurred to you putting all those cables together =P There was a reason they were ribbons!

kennah

I'm reaching out to the sales rep to see if I can swap in an SSD. Do you like their options? I'm thinking about sending them an SSD if they'll allow it, that way they can test it/burn it in with the part.

Their standard SSD is the M4. It's fine.

EDIT: I'm loving the "I'm older than you are" e-peens that are coming out today.

GMM

Banned
Remove the bottom handles and put on some tiny case feet.

Too late though. By no means is that Tiki a bad build, great set of specs and it'll perform admirably. It's just really expensive. That doesn't really matter if it doesn't matter, you know what I mean?

We have people blowing 2-3K on Titans. PC's don't always have to be about $:performance

I also moved away from the iMac deal due to Apple clusterfucking up deliveries here apparently, seems like people have waited for orders since january now and have 4-6 weeks delivery, i need my rig by next week.

The rig is still pretty much the same, but i have opted for 32gb of RAM instead of 64 (4 slot, i can add another kit down the line). What attracted me to the iMac was partly the screen since i will be doing video editing and design on it.

I want the glorious panel 27" found in the iMac/Cinema Display, but looking at the Korean monitor thread i have nothing to win from the Ebay imports being recommended in there + seeing the amount of people having problems with screens aren't really helping.

I think i found a good replacement, the HP ZR2740w:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MR4P0W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As far as i can tell, it uses the same IPS panel as the one found in Apple products and it's an established brand with customer service in my country and not South Korea. The lack of on screen adjustments seems to be the big drawback, so people are recommending i drop down for a Spyder4Elite to calibrate my screen:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006TF36TM/

I don't really mind dropping the money for a Spyder device, i have tons of poorly calibrated screens around me and this unit would fix this.

Yay or nay?

Edit: Also got a 128GB Crucial M1 for 60$ for the system the other day, so it should have 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 128gb, 1 x Crucial M1 128gb and a OCZ Velociraptor 3 60 gb + 3 x 1 tb of normal storage.

LowParry

Well now that I know what I'm getting for my tax returns, I can sort of pre-plan the build I"m going for. Was just curious what GAF thought about http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Is this something good to go by? I think I saw it recommended a while back ago here but wasn't too sure.

I also moved away from the iMac deal due to Apple clusterfucking up deliveries here apparently, seems like people have waited for orders since january now and have 4-6 weeks delivery, i need my rig by next week.

The rig is still pretty much the same, but i have opted for 32gb of RAM instead of 64 (4 slot, i can add another kit down the line). What attracted me to the iMac was partly the screen since i will be doing video editing and design on it.

I want the glorious panel 27" found in the iMac/Cinema Display, but looking at the Korean monitor thread i have nothing to win from the Ebay imports being recommended in there + seeing the amount of people having problems with screens aren't really helping.

I think i found a good replacement, the HP ZR2740w:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MR4P0W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As far as i can tell, it uses the same IPS panel as the one found in Apple products and it's an established brand with customer service in my country and not South Korea. The lack of on screen adjustments seems to be the big drawback, so people are recommending i drop down for a Spyder4Elite to calibrate my screen:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006TF36TM/

I don't really mind dropping the money for a Spyder device, i have tons of poorly calibrated screens around me and this unit would fix this.

Yay or nay?

You could also look at the Dell 27" monitors, 2711 or 2713.

I have the 2713, and the iq is absolutely amazing. I went with the 2713 because I liked the anti glare coating much better than the one on the 2711.

But be aware that the screen (at least the 2713) is nothing for people playing first person shooters competitively, as it's input lag is rather high compared to gaming monitors.

ShOcKwAvE

Just know that you'll still love the PC even if you don't get the SSD. We're all just spoiled by SSD responsiveness.

GMM

Banned
You could also look at the Dell 27" monitors, 2711 or 2713.

I have the 2713, and the iq is absolutely amazing. I went with the 2713 because I liked the anti glare coating much better than the one on the 2711.

But be aware that the screen (at least the 2713) is nothing for people playing first person shooters competitively, as it's input lag is rather high compared to gaming monitors.

I keep hearing great things about those screens, they are in line with my budget and seem great, but i haven't had the chance to use one yet, so i don't really know what to expect.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well now that I know what I'm getting for my tax returns, I can sort of pre-plan the build I"m going for. Was just curious what GAF thought about http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Is this something good to go by? I think I saw it recommended a while back ago here but wasn't too sure.
It's a pretty solid guide. There's nothing bad on that sheet sans FX6300 and CX430.

I still this one is better. Better PSU/Case selection and broken down where you get the most performance per $ rather than inflating the price to match a budget.

v0mitg0d

Just know that you'll still love the PC even if you don't get the SSD. We're all just spoiled by SSD responsiveness.

Heh, yeah, thanks for the reminder of that fact ShOcKwAvE. Yeah its a really great looking system isnt it?

But I agree and will see if I can get that SSD. I think i can slip it in, however I wonder if that 256GB will fill up quikcly. I just dont want to deal with capacity headaches which is why i went with the 2TB drive.\

EDIT: Oh and another Q for you folks: HDMI or DVI cable from card to monitor?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Heh, yeah, thanks for the reminder of that fact ShOcKwAvE. Yeah its a really great looking system isnt it?

But I agree and will see if I can get that SSD. I think i can slip it in, however I wonder if that 256GB will fill up quikcly. I just dont want to deal with capacity headaches which is why i went with the 2TB drive.
Just grab an m4 or 840 Pro 256GB, tape it somewhere.

OS, main games, and programs on SSD. Shouldn't run out of room.

kennah

But I agree and will see if I can get that SSD. I think i can slip it in, however I wonder if that 256GB will fill up quikcly. I just dont want to deal with capacity headaches which is why i went with the 2TB drive.

If you're worried, add in a 2.5" 1TB laptop hard drive for Storage. You'd be able to do that yourself for well under $100 once you get it.

Hey :)

My sister is tempted to upgrade and is ready to spend up to 350€. Her actual rig is a Core 2 Duo E6550 with 4GB of DDR2 RAM and a fitting board. She upgraded the graphics card like 18 months ago to a 460GTX.

My out of the blue suggestion would be a Core i5 3570, ASUS P8Z77-V LX and 8GB of RAM.

She's no core gamer at all and her gaming is limited to Sims 3 basically. Her boyfriend want's to play GTA IV and V as good ans GTA IV runs right now (read @ ~ 20-25fps) at least though. Would this be a fitting combination when keeping the graphics card? It would be 345 bucks right now.

any suggestions are very welcome :) thx

So I just got Windows 8 for my new setup. Could someone please explain why everything is read only and how I can fix that?

Other than that I'm pretty happy with W8 though. I fixed the start menu through Start Is Back (I'd really recommend this one - it behaves exactly like the one in W7; no program is required in the background) and hopefully I'll be able to get rid of all the useless Apps soon enough.

nTVskP4.jpg

Welp Gaf, I'll let you know if I burn my house down or not in a few hours.

mkenyon

Banned
Heads up:

PDXLAN 22 is getting close to sold out. If any PAC NW or otherwise wants to go, buy soon. Good weekend of fun.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey :)

My sister is tempted to upgrade and is ready to spend up to 350€. Her actual rig is a Core 2 Duo E6550 with 4GB of DDR2 RAM and a fitting board. She upgraded the graphics card like 18 months ago to a 460GTX.

My out of the blue suggestion would be a Core i5 3570, ASUS P8Z77-V LX and 8GB of RAM.

She's no core gamer at all and her gaming is limited to Sims 3 basically. Her boyfriend want's to play GTA IV and V as good ans GTA IV runs right now (read @ ~ 20-25fps) at least though. Would this be a fitting combination when keeping the graphics card? It would be 345 bucks right now.

any suggestions are very welcome :) thx
Yup! Just get the 3570K since it usually has a $15 promo code so it's the same price as the non-K.
Really want to jump on this but I'm just seeing too many negative feedback about failing drives
Don't look at Hard Drives then.

Looking at it I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it is possibly from that firmware that wasn't fixed. Keep in mind it was/is the most popular SSD for a very long span of time. If it's bothering you get the Samsung 830 or 840 Pro instead. I'd have no qualms running an m4.

GMM

Banned
Okay, i hate looking at parts i always find something interesting. I looked at the Logical Increments site and tried to make a high end system for fun, but ended up with a somewhat unexpected result that sortwhat made sense.

The old proposed build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K
Cooler: Corsair H80 Hydro
MOBO: ASUS SABERTOOTH X79
SSD: 2 x Samsung - 840 Pro SSD
DVD Drive: Lite-On iHAS124
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
PSU: Corsair HX750
WIFI: TL-WDN4800 Wireless
RAM: G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400MHz (4x8) Trident X
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 680 - 4GB

The new adjusted build that is comparable in price if i decide to assemble it myself:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3960X
Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro
HDD: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 - 1TB
SSD: 1 x Crucial M4 128GB SSD
RAM: Kingston 16GB HyperX Beast DC DDR3-2133

Keep in mind i already have a Crucial M4 128GB SSD to put into a RAID0 array with the other M4, dumping the dual 840 Pro setup to save money. Basicly i am putting in 1/4th of the original RAM amount (2133 mHZ ram so it can be upgraded with more high speed RAM).

Would this be worth it? Opting in for a better CPU would seem like a good thing to do a sacrifice a bit on the RAM and SSD that i can upgrade in 3-4 months time.

Edit: The i7 3970X is just a factory OC 3960X, so the 3960X is a better deal.

Smokey

Cut the 3970x back to the 3930k unless you just want top dog just to have it. I know the feel. 3mb of l2 cache is the only difference between the two.. Oh and 500 dollars.

GMM

Banned
Cut the 3970x back to the 3930k unless you just want top dog just to have it. I know the feel. 3mb of l2 cache is the only difference between the two.. Oh and 500 dollars.

Just checked some CS6 benchmarks, and 5% performance increase over the 3930k isn't worth 500$ yeah.

comu

Neo Member
Hi, any difference between the following cards? I'm confused.

£173 - GTX660 2GB MSI 980MHz Cores 28nm 6008MHz GDDR5 GPU 2x DVI DP HDMI PCI-E 3.0 Graphics Card N660TF-2GD5

£185 - GTX660 2GB Asus DirectCU II 980MHz Cores 960 28nm 6008MHz GDDR5 GPU 2x DVI DP HDMI PCI-E 3.0 Graphics Card GTX660-DC2-2GD5

£190 - GTX660 2GB Evga Superclocked 1046MHz Cores 960 28nm 6008MHz GDDR5 GPU DP DVI-D DVI-I mini HDMI PCI-E 3.0 Graphics Card 02G-P4-2662-KR

£191 - GTX660 2GB Gigabyte Overclocked Windforce 2X 1098MHz Cores 960 28nm 6008MHz GDDR5 GPU DP DVI-D DVI-I HDMI PCI-E 3.0 Graphics Card GV-N660OC-2GD

or is this better than all of them?

£190 - HD7870 2GB Sapphire 1000MHz 1280 Cores 4800MHz GDDR5 28nm GPU DL DVI HDMI mDP PCI-E 3.0 Graphic Card 11199-00-20G

AnandTech says that the 7870 is better than the 660, but I don't understand the different models

Thanks in advance

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Okay, i hate looking at parts i always find something interesting. I looked at the Logical Increments site and tried to make a high end system for fun, but ended up with a somewhat unexpected result that sortwhat made sense.

The new adjusted build that is comparable in price if i decide to assemble it myself:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3960X
Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro
HDD: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 - 1TB
SSD: 1 x Crucial M4 128GB SSD
RAM: Kingston 16GB HyperX Beast DC DDR3-2133

Keep in mind i already have a Crucial M4 128GB SSD to put into a RAID0 array with the other M4, dumping the dual 840 Pro setup to save money. Basicly i am putting in 1/4th of the original RAM amount (2133 mHZ ram so it can be upgraded with more high speed RAM).

Would this be worth it? Opting in for a better CPU would seem like a good thing to do a sacrifice a bit on the RAM and SSD that i can upgrade in 3-4 months time.

Edit: The i7 3970X is just a factory OC 3960X, so the 3960X is a better deal.
Get a 3930K
I'd avoid the Seagates personally and get WD Blues instead

£173 - GTX660 2GB MSI 980MHz Cores 28nm 6008MHz GDDR5 GPU 2x DVI DP HDMI PCI-E 3.0 Graphics Card N660TF-2GD5

£185 - GTX660 2GB Asus DirectCU II 980MHz Cores 960 28nm 6008MHz GDDR5 GPU 2x DVI DP HDMI PCI-E 3.0 Graphics Card GTX660-DC2-2GD5

£190 - GTX660 2GB Evga Superclocked 1046MHz Cores 960 28nm 6008MHz GDDR5 GPU DP DVI-D DVI-I mini HDMI PCI-E 3.0 Graphics Card 02G-P4-2662-KR

£191 - GTX660 2GB Gigabyte Overclocked Windforce 2X 1098MHz Cores 960 28nm 6008MHz GDDR5 GPU DP DVI-D DVI-I HDMI PCI-E 3.0 Graphics Card GV-N660OC-2GD

£190 - HD7870 2GB Sapphire 1000MHz 1280 Cores 4800MHz GDDR5 28nm GPU DL DVI HDMI mDP PCI-E 3.0 Graphic Card 11199-00-20G

Thanks in advance
660's are all variations of each other with very (usually) minor differences. It's mostly warranty / colors / coolers.

Get the 7870.

ss_lemonade

Yup! Just get the 3570K since it usually has a $15 promo code so it's the same price as the non-K.

Don't look at Hard Drives then.

Looking at it I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it is possibly from that firmware that wasn't fixed. Keep in mind it was/is the most popular SSD for a very long span of time. If it's bothering you get the Samsung 830 or 840 Pro instead. I'd have no qualms running an m4.
I see, so there were firmware updates that improved reliability. That's good.

Is it ok to initially just have this 256gb m4 as a boot and main drive? I mean for the health of the drive. I don't plan on installing a lot of things at the moment but I do want to get my pc up and running as soon as possible with an ssd.

kharma45

AnandTech says that the 7870 is better than the 660, but I don't understand the different models

Thanks in advance

For that money get the 7870 XT

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-312-SP

It's basically a 7930 in performance levels is such a card existed.

kennah

I see, so there were firmware updates that improved reliability. That's good.

Is it ok to initially just have this 256gb m4 as a boot and main drive? I mean for the health of the drive. I don't plan on installing a lot of things at the moment but I do want to get my pc up and running as soon as possible with an ssd.

That's what it's made for friend :)

Leckan

Is there any reason to not overclock your CPU/GPU? Any drawbacks like noticably increased temperature, noise, stability or longevity if you plan on not upgrading for a few years. Will it shorten the lives of the components?

kharma45

Is there any reason to not overclock your CPU/GPU? Any drawbacks like noticably increased temperature, noise, stability or longevity if you plan on not upgrading for a few years. Will it shorten the lives of the components?

It will shorten the life but not by a whole lot, and your temps will go up but if you've good enough coolers it's not a problem.

If you've bought stuff that can OC you really should, it's free performance.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey, can anyone help me out here?

I'm trying to overclock my 570.

I set it to 900mhz, but every time that I run the Furry EVGA benchmark, the entire time it's running the clock speed runs at half of what I set it to.

This doesn't happen with tesselated benchmark.

Here's EVGA Precision X.

LXRlVxv.png

You can see at the bottom. When it's halved in the chart is when it's running.

v0mitg0d

Quick question.

Regarding video signal and image quality, do I go with HDMI or DVI regarding my new GTX680 to that S248H-P?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom