• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Unless you need to get sound to the monitor, there are no difference in terms of quality.

Technically, if outputting higher then 1080p, aren't there difference? As in DL-DVI will be able to output higher resolutions/refresh rates/3D than HDMI is capable of?

GMM

Banned
Technically, if outputting higher then 1080p, aren't there difference? As in DL-DVI will be able to output higher resolutions/refresh rates/3D than HDMI is capable of?

I think that is correct, you would need DL-DVI or DisplayPort, though i think HDMI 1.3 can do higher res. He is using a pretty standard 1080p monitor so he shouldnt worry in his case.

mkenyon

Banned
How about DisplayPort? My GTX 680 will have one and my 1440p monitor can use it, way to go?
Yeah, DP or Dual Link DVI are what you'll want to use. I'm obsessive about tidying cables, so I like the DP a bit more as it's not quite as unweildy.

Zaph

Bad news: Upgraded to a Samsung 840 Pro only to find out that the SATA III 6Gb/s controller on my Asus Sabertooth X58 is absolute garbage as it's wired to the PCIe controller, meaning it can't even come close to real SATA III speeds (only getting 390/240 and 50k IOPS).

Good news: Who am I to ignore this obvious message the universe is sending? Time to upgrade CPU/Mobo too!

GMM

Banned
Oh, the Dell UltraSharp U2711 is actually less than the HP ZR240W, the Dell seems much better feature wise and some say they are sharing the same LG panel. Anyone who can confirm if the panel inside the U2711 is the one found in the HP and Cinema Displays?

Edit: Not same panel, but comparable panel from LG it seems, been hearing a lot of complaints on the anti glare coating.

asdad123

So here are my final specs I decided on:

i5 3570k
ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX
Define R4
2x Corsair H60 Coolers (One for CPU, One for GPU)

What I already have/ordered:
Crucial m4 256gb ssd
16gb 1600mhz memory
650w Power Supply (Dont remember the company off hand. Its been in my room for a couple months)
GTX570

Any Suggestions?

GMM

Banned
iirc, they use a matte cover, so it won't look as pretty.

So the HP ZR2740w using the LG LM270WQ1-SDDA panel would be the preferred choice right? It seems like HP did a lot of changes to the 2012 revision to the production of the ZR2740W screens, going from a matte to a more glossy cover.

It's just so hard to find panel information and up to date information on these screens. I really wish i could go to a local retailer and get one of those stupid S-IPS Korea monitors, but living in Europe marks the price up so high there is no reason to ever import it.

2San

So here are my final specs I decided on:

i5 3570k
ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX
Define R4
2x Corsair H60 Coolers (One for CPU, One for GPU)

What I already have/ordered:
Crucial m4 256gb ssd
16gb 1600mhz memory
650w Power Supply (Dont remember the company off hand. Its been in my room for a couple months)
GTX570

Any Suggestions?
I haven't tried myself, but putting a CPU cooler on a GTX570 doesn't seem like an easy job. o_O

Kingbrave

My pc is less than two years old but it's a Dell so I think I'm gonna build me a new one. I haven't done it in a while. I have a nice chunk of money coming my way...

I have no clue what I want or what to get. I'll have enough so if I really wanted to I can go crazy, but I really don't think I want to go crazy. I dunno, maybe crazytown...see? Fuck!

Katyusha

My pc is less than two years old but it's a Dell so I think I'm gonna build me a new one. I haven't done it in a while. I have a nice chunk of money coming my way...

I have no clue what I want or what to get. I'll have enough so if I really wanted to I can go crazy, but I really don't think I want to go crazy. I dunno, maybe crazytown...see? Fuck!

Go crazy...you know you want to

Koroviev

3770k /w Z77 mobo
8GB of RAM
Define R4
Closed-loop liquid cooling

harSon

Banned
I was wondering it was feasible to upgrade my system, or whether I'm better off buying a completely new system in the future. During the summer, the company my father works for was purchased by Danaher, and as a result, the building was closed (thankfully he kept his job). Danaher siphoned what they wanted from the building, and allowed the handful of employees that didn't lose their job to pocket what remained.

My dad came away with quite the load, one of which was a computer that he gave to me. It has an Intel Xeon E5405 2.0GHz CPU, 4gb of Ram and a NVidia GeForce GTX 275. I've been out of PC Gaming for a LONG time until getting this computer (I was last in it when the ATI 9800 Pro was the best video card), so I have no idea if these specs are good are not. All I know is the computer is capable of playing games like Skyrim, Dishonoured, DmC, etc. at very good settings without a hitch. This is the computer: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12849_na/12849_na.pdf

I'm assuming I could use more RAM, but unfortunately ram for this computer seems to be expensive. I'm not sure how much ram/how many ram slots the computer actually has, could someone tell me by looking at the above PDF?

Is there anything I can do to squeeze some untapped potential out of it, or should I just ride it out and purchase a new computer once I come by the money?

scogoth

I was wondering it was feasible to upgrade my system, or whether I'm better off buying a completely new system in the future. During the summer, the company my father works for was purchased by Danaher, and as a result, the building was closed (thankfully he kept his job). Danaher siphoned what they wanted from the building, and allowed the handful of employees that didn't lose their job to pocket what remained.

My dad came away with quite the load, one of which was a computer that he gave to me. It has an Intel Xeon E5405 2.0GHz CPU, 4gb of Ram and a NVidia GeForce GTX 275. I've been out of PC Gaming for a LONG time until getting this computer (I was last in it when the ATI 9800 Pro was the best video card), so I have no idea if these specs are good are not. All I know is the computer is capable of playing games like Skyrim, Dishonoured, DmC, etc. at very good settings without a hitch. This is the computer: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12849_na/12849_na.pdf

I'm assuming I could use more RAM, but unfortunately ram for this computer seems to be expensive. I'm not sure how much ram/how many ram slots the computer actually has, could someone tell me by looking at the above PDF?

Is there anything I can do to squeeze some untapped potential out of it, or should I just ride it out and purchase a new computer once I come by the money?

Its DDR2 RAM so buying more wouldn't be much worth as it would not be usable in a new computer. Ride that computer till it doesn't do what you want anymore then buy a new one. Nothing really worth investing in it.

EDIT: ohhhh also ECC RAM, yeah thats going to be pricey. Just save you money till you can build a new one. This would make a great NAS, home server, web server, torrent box, etc. if you want to use it for that

harSon

Banned
Its DDR2 RAM so buying more wouldn't be much worth as it would not be usable in a new computer. Ride that computer till it doesn't do what you want anymore then buy a new one. Nothing really worth investing in it.

EDIT: ohhhh also ECC RAM, yeah thats going to be pricey. Just save you money till you can build a new one. This would make a great NAS, home server, web server, torrent box, etc. if you want to use it for that.

We actually have two of these things. I turned the other into an XBMC HTPC/Home Server. He also came home with a box full of 1tb hard drives, and both this and that system are Raid configured with 4 1tb drives, so I definitely agree with your last point!

M3z_

Thinking about selling my ITX rig, if anyone is in the SoCal area and wants a fully built ITX rig that will play pretty much anything maxed out at 1080p let me know.

Specs:

BitFenix Prodigy
3570k 4.8 GHz
7950 Sapphire Vapor-X (Currently running stabe @ 1100 on core and 1500 on memory)
Asrock Z77e ITX Mobo
H100 Cooling w/ SP 120 High Performance Fans
600 watt CX Corsair PSU
8GB of Avexir Mpower Ram at 1600MHz
120 GB Patriot Pyro SSD

Was thinking about asking in the $900 area, 90% of the rig is brand new.

Recent 3mark 11 Run

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6105780

Well I'm up and running. Cable management got a bit sloppy, but I didn't have much of an option as most of the cords were to short to run through the back.

UJbocPh.jpg
(sorry for awful quality)

My Build:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition 120mm Fan
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

Did you burn it yourself or is it a retail disc? Maybe a bad disc burn?
Turned out to be the TV i was using, had to borrow my brother's monitor, use VGA and boot first. Then I could go back to my TV/Hdmi (I don't have a monitor yet).

20cent

Banned
I need a new graphic card, I have been waiting for the new nVidia series, but it is not coming yet.

My choice goes to a GTX 670 (specific model will depends on the shops availability I will visit later today), the question is 2GB or 4GB? I use single display 2560*1080.

I've seen some 670 iterations with 3 fans, they look very long, should I worry about that ?
My tower is a CoolerMaster HAF 912, and I don't really want to remove the HDD bay.

MisterNoisy

Thinking about selling my ITX rig, if anyone is in the SoCal area and wants a fully built ITX rig that will play pretty much anything maxed out at 1080p let me know.

Specs:

BitFenix Prodigy
3570k 4.8 GHz
7950 Sapphire Vapor-X (Currently running stabe @ 1100 on core and 1500 on memory)
Asrock Z77e ITX Mobo
600 watt CX Corsair PSU
120 GB Patriot Pyro SSD

Recent 3mark 11 Run

Heh - that's damn near what I'm in the middle of building. Still waiting on the other stick of RAM (got bit by the Newegg freebie with the motherboard, too) and some fans for the roof, but it's otherwise all together (haven't put in the 7950 yet, so the PCI-E cables are kinda running free in there):

wXtyDbt.jpg

I really wish that the switches, LEDs and other front panel crap were on the front panel of the case instead of the door, but otherwise it's been a fun build so far. :p

Ok, so i think i'm finally ready to pull the trigger on my build. I don't want to build (I don't live near a microcenter/fry's) and there is a local builder that has done right by my company for custom builds in terms of warranty replacements/labor etc. so I'd like to use them.

Anyway,

Your Current Specs: iMac Core Duo from 2004 still running Tiger
Budget: $1500 + USA
Main Use: 5-Photo and Video Editing, 3-Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Adobe Lightroom (16MP RAW Files), Premiere Pro CS5.5 for DSLR Video, Games locked at 30FPS are just fine for me.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No.
When will you build?: Right now!
Will you be overclocking?: No.

CPU i7-3820
MOBO Intel DX79TO
RAM Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (8GB x 2)
SSD Crucial M4 128GB
HDD 1TB WD Caviar Blue
Graphics Card ASUS, MSI or Gigabyte GTX 660 2GB
PSU Thermaltake TR2 TR2-700AL2NC-A ATX12V & EPS12V 700W
Case NZXT Source Elite 210
OS Win 7 Pro 64-Bit
Warranty 18 Months Parts and Labor

Total Price $1475.60

Is this an absolutely horrible deal, or am I doing ok? According to PC price picker I'm not too much over budget compared to Microcenter/Amazon/Newegg especially if you remove the warranty.

kennah

need cash money (well paypal to be more exact), please PM me if you have any questions or are interested in buying anything. i'm willing to drop prices if you buy a bunch of my stuff. shipping included in all the prices shipping to US 48 only (sorry Canada)

********** I can only ship stuff on Saturdays ***********

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

gaming PC for sale $475 pics upon request

case:
Lian Li PC-V1200 PLUS II
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=141&cl_index=1&sc_index=38&ss_index=96

gpu:
Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 DVI-I/HDMI/2x Mini-Displayport PCI-Express Graphic Card GV-R795WF3-3GD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414&Tpk=GV-R795WF3-3GD

cpu:
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

Board:
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131759

RAM:
Patriot Viper Xtreme Series, Division 2 Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220561

PSU
COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-750-ACAA-A1 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171024

WD 500GB SATA hdd
generic SATA DVD burner

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
In case people don't follow the buy sell trade thread

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

I think I'm gonna be buying it :D
It's not quite as high end as I wanted, but with all that savings, it's hard to resist. All you PC thread folks would support this decision, right?

M3z_

Specs:

BitFenix Prodigy
3570k 4.8 GHz
Asrock Z77e ITX Mobo
600 watt CX Corsair PSU
120 GB Patriot Pyro SSD

Recent 3mark 11 Run

Pics of the rig

2YSIzGZl.jpg

kT3eT2rl.jpg

bhvjxjLl.jpg

ZfVSZXPl.jpg

Has a fan controller inside the rig cause Prodigy only has 2 pcie slots, so I just turn the fans down to half way so they are quiet for regular use. If you crank the fans all the way up you get about 3 degrees better cooling underload.

Pics of the rig

2YSIzGZl.jpg

kT3eT2rl.jpg

bhvjxjLl.jpg

ZfVSZXPl.jpg

Has a fan controller inside the rig cause Prodigy only has 2 pcie slots, so I just turn the fans down to half way so they are quiet for regular use. If you crank the fans all the way up you get about 3 degrees better cooling underload.

Man that thing is nice, I bought a BitFenix case and it has been collecting dust for 3+ months, where were you then?!? Haha, sorry for that, great looking computer, I am still trying to get the nerve to start building (first time ever too).

scogoth

For those thinking of sleeving their own cables, don't it gets so expensive so quickly just like watercooling....... ughashdf and screw you customs fees

Pics of the rig

2YSIzGZl.jpg

kT3eT2rl.jpg

bhvjxjLl.jpg

ZfVSZXPl.jpg

What are your temps with that case?

Ty4on

Well I'm up and running. Cable management got a bit sloppy, but I didn't have much of an option as most of the cords were to short to run through the back.

Is the fan facing up? If that's the case and there is some breathing room underneath you can flip it to take in air from the bottom. Just remember to clean it or fit a dust filter (you can buy magnetic). That way you can improve cable management very easily. When I cleaned my brothers computer with an unmodular PSU I let the it be loose while I routed the cables behind and then screwed the PSU in which made it possible to sqeeze the 24pin behind the motherboard tray.

ss_lemonade

Wow, that's a steal right there.

I think I'm gonna be buying it :D
It's not quite as high end as I wanted, but with all that savings, it's hard to resist. All you PC thread folks would support this decision, right?

I think that's a very high end rig (7950 + 2500k) and a very good deal. Even without overclocking, that should run pretty much anything at max

Is the fan facing up? If that's the case and there is some breathing room underneath you can flip it to take in air from the bottom. Just remember to clean it or fit a dust filter (you can buy magnetic). That way you can improve cable management very easily. When I cleaned my brothers computer with an unmodular PSU I let the it be loose while I routed the cables behind and then screwed the PSU in which made it possible to sqeeze the 24pin behind the motherboard tray.

Yea I did it with the fan facing up. I don't have dust filters so I may flip it over if I get some but I am gonna roll with this for now. Thanks for the advice though, I'll prolly do that sometime!

EDIT: Anybody know any good deals on a 1080p 22"ish monitor?

M3z_

What are your temps with that case?

I did a 3dmark run with voltage(1.3) and core(1200) maxed out on my GPU and the temps never hit 70C and that's without hitting 100% on the fans.

For the CPU, during that 3dmark run the temps were in high 60's/low 70's(one core). With the fans at max after an hour of prime the CPU temps were low 80's for 3 of the cores with 1 core at 79. That's with 1.3 volts on the CPU. Ivy is built to withstand more heat than Sandy so temps are safe. If someone really wanted to keep the temps under 80 no matter what I know the CPU can do 4.6GHz on 1.25 volts stable, which means the temps would be much lower.

Really though if you are gaming you are never gonna get the temps into the 80's unless it's a hot day. Prime stresses the CPU more than even the most CPU demanding games.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Woo! Just sent the money to buy that $475 PC! So excited.

Now, that leaves me with just the peripherals. So can you actually buy a 120hz monitor for $250 anywhere right now? Like the OP says and I have found, it's very difficult to find 120hz monitors in stock.
Secondarily, is it worth spending the money on a 120hz monitor when I'm going to have a 7950? I don't need max graphics or tons of AA or anything. I mean, I've been playing on low-medium settings at 30ish fps for the past few years.

kennah

Sweet! Buy the ram off him too and send it to me :p

And yeah it should be able to take advantage of 120 fps. Might want to wait though and see what 120hz monitors become available

You are in for a treat. Hell of a deal

Woo! Just sent the money to buy that $475 PC! So excited.

Now, that leaves me with just the peripherals. So can you actually buy a 120hz monitor for $250 anywhere right now? Like the OP says and I have found, it's very difficult to find 120hz monitors in stock.
Secondarily, is it worth spending the money on a 120hz monitor when I'm going to have a 7950? I don't need max graphics or tons of AA or anything. I mean, I've been playing on low-medium settings at 30ish fps for the past few years.

120hz monitors come down to a few things.

Want 3D with glasses?
Play twitch FPS titles?
Miss the smooth motion of CRT monitors and actually remember what it was like?

If you don't find yourself answering yes to two of those questions, you're probably better off getting yourself a good quality IPS panel. IPS produces off angle colors and basically just all colors in general on a muuuuuuuuch higher level. I think your choices in panels is much better on that side of the playing field, but if you want that 120hz goodness, go with the BenQ or Asus linked in the OP. They're both pretty much available everywhere you look online for under $300.

Aaaand on that note, speaking about IPS monitors, I have been trying to research a Korean IPS panel 27" or 30" that has a built-in scaler so I can hook in a Dreamcast using VGA, and an Xbox using HDMI. I've read much about how when you introduce more than just a dual link DVI connection port, input lag becomes a major problem.

I know Microcenter sells this http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor but there are more than a few reviews talking about its poor latency performance. To me, having the ability to return to an american company, and the extra ports has me strongly considering it. The other issue I have with that particular monitor is the lack of pivot functionality. I am not sure that particular monitor supports portrait pivoting. So, any suggestions? The 27Q LED-P in the OP lacks the inputs I'd want as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom