• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

That's a kickass deal. I thought I made a super budget rig with a 2500k+6870 build for $600 I did last year for my brother.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Sweet! Buy the ram off him too and send it to me :p

And yeah it should be able to take advantage of 120 fps. Might want to wait though and see what 120hz monitors become available

You are in for a treat. Hell of a deal

:p
I don't know how serious you are, but if you want that RAM specifically, I probably wouldn't be opposed to trading it to you for 8GB of any other DDR3 RAM as long as you pay shipping!

And thanks for the info! Is there any news about new 120hz models coming out? I've been doing a bit of searching lately and haven't seen anything. I'm sure it's a matter of time if not though. The joy of capitalism is that if there are people that want it, there will be people to sell it. Haha

And yeah, I'm super excited! Both on the rig itself and the fantastic deal I got on it. :D
Some good timing too, as tomorrow is my birthday. Haha

120hz monitors come down to a few things.

Want 3D with glasses?
Play twitch FPS titles?
Miss the smooth motion of CRT monitors and actually remember what it was like?

If you don't find yourself answering yes to two of those questions, you're probably better off getting yourself a good quality IPS panel. IPS produces off angle colors and basically just all colors in general on a muuuuuuuuch higher level. I think your choices in panels is much better on that side of the playing field, but if you want that 120hz goodness, go with the BenQ or Asus linked in the OP. They're both pretty much available everywhere you look online for under $300.

I have no plans to do 3D, I don't play any twitch FPS titles, and I never had a CRT monitor. However, I do find the 120hz smoothness very intriguing and I'll be coming from a TN monitor, so I won't have any IPS colors to miss.
And would you mind linking to a BenQ or Asus 120hz for $300 or less? I very well could be looking in the wrong places or something.
Anyways, I really appreciate your opinion! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

That's a kickass deal. I thought I made a super budget rig with a 2500k+6870 build for $600 I did last year for my brother.

:D
I'm so happy about it. I planned to have my PC built in about a month's time when I'll finally be done with university so I've been so close to biting on a few good deals on components in these past few days specifically. So happy I waited it out. It really couldn't be more perfect how it worked out.

mkenyon

Banned
I think I'm gonna be buying it :D
It's not quite as high end as I wanted, but with all that savings, it's hard to resist. All you PC thread folks would support this decision, right?
Not kidding, that case alone is worth it.
Ok, so i think i'm finally ready to pull the trigger on my build. I don't want to build (I don't live near a microcenter/fry's) and there is a local builder that has done right by my company for custom builds in terms of warranty replacements/labor etc. so I'd like to use them.

Anyway,

Your Current Specs: iMac Core Duo from 2004 still running Tiger
Budget: $1500 + USA
Main Use: 5-Photo and Video Editing, 3-Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Adobe Lightroom (16MP RAW Files), Premiere Pro CS5.5 for DSLR Video, Games locked at 30FPS are just fine for me.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No.
When will you build?: Right now!
Will you be overclocking?: No.

CPU i7-3820
MOBO Intel DX79TO
RAM Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (8GB x 2)
SSD Crucial M4 128GB
HDD 1TB WD Caviar Blue
Graphics Card ASUS, MSI or Gigabyte GTX 660 2GB
PSU Thermaltake TR2 TR2-700AL2NC-A ATX12V & EPS12V 700W
Case NZXT Source Elite 210
OS Win 7 Pro 64-Bit
Warranty 18 Months Parts and Labor

Total Price $1475.60

Is this an absolutely horrible deal, or am I doing ok? According to PC price picker I'm not too much over budget compared to Microcenter/Amazon/Newegg especially if you remove the warranty.
It isn't that it is overpriced, it is that there is too much being spent in the wrong places. The $1K build from the OP would outperform it.
Woo! Just sent the money to buy that $475 PC! So excited.

Now, that leaves me with just the peripherals. So can you actually buy a 120hz monitor for $250 anywhere right now? Like the OP says and I have found, it's very difficult to find 120hz monitors in stock.
Secondarily, is it worth spending the money on a 120hz monitor when I'm going to have a 7950? I don't need max graphics or tons of AA or anything. I mean, I've been playing on low-medium settings at 30ish fps for the past few years.
The ASUS 144hz can be found for $300. On newegg right now

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313
120hz monitors come down to a few things.

Want 3D with glasses?
Play twitch FPS titles?
Miss the smooth motion of CRT monitors and actually remember what it was like?

If you don't find yourself answering yes to two of those questions, you're probably better off getting yourself a good quality IPS panel.
I disagree. Its better for more people than the IPS panels out there. Everyone will appreciate what feels like a lag free and extremely responsive computer that also emulates fluid motion more realistically. Not everyone wants absolutely precise colors from off angles. The latter is a far more niche category. Its just that they are far more entrenched with tech enthusiasts who haven't tried 120Hz yet.

Kipp

Not kidding, that case alone is worth it.

The ASUS 144hz can be found for $300. On newegg right now

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

Glad you approve!
What's special about the case, by the way? I know Lian-Li makes very high quality stuff, but I don't really know much about that specific case and the brief google searching I did on it didn't come up with much.

And oh, fantastic! This is probably a silly question since you just linked me to it, but would you recommend it (in terms of both that specific monitor and getting a 120hz monitor with a 7950)?

Glad you approve!
What's special about the case, by the way? I know Lian-Li makes very high quality stuff, but I don't really know much about that specific case and the brief google searching I did on it didn't come up with much.

And oh, fantastic! This is probably a silly question since you just linked me to it, but would you recommend it (in terms of both that specific monitor and getting a 120hz monitor with a 7950)?

If your deal had fallen through, I'm pretty sure I was next in line. You got a killer deal.

That case probably retailed for something like $220-250 I'd imagine. By the looks of it, it's mint. He didn't even mention he had a cooler master 212+ heatsink. That system is the definition of ballin' on a budget.

120hz if you want it for the right reasons. That ASUS on newegg for $300 is the one to get. 7950 is plenty to get your framerates right on most anything short of maxing out Crysis 3 (which wouldn't even cut the mustard on my 670 SLI's trying to hit a steady 120fps target).

Kipp

I'm only vaguely serious :) seems a lot of work to save 10-15$.

Oh, okay. Thought it might've been some super rare RAM that fit your color scheme perfectly or something along those lines. Haha. But hey, if you did want to for some reason, I'm always happy to help out!

mkenyon

Banned
Glad you approve!

It is the perfect layout, shape, and size for modders. Kind of like having the ultimate canvas. You can do anything with it from WC'd builds to extremely efficient and gorgeous air cooling.

Yeah, that 144Hz monitor is great. I'm pretty close to ordering it myself.

It is the perfect layout, shape, and size for modders. Kind of like having the ultimate canvas. You can do anything with it from WC'd builds to extremely efficient and gorgeous air cooling.

120Hz not good enough for you? :p

On a related note, I'm thinking of making a 120fps thread, anyone know if there is one already?

Kipp

If your deal had fallen through, I'm pretty sure I was next in line. You got a killer deal.

That case probably retailed for something like $220-250 I'd imagine. By the looks of it, it's mint. He didn't even mention he had a cooler master 212+ heatsink. That system is the definition of ballin' on a budget.

120hz if you want it for the right reasons. That ASUS on newegg for $300 is the one to get. 7950 is plenty to get your framerates right on most anything short of maxing out Crysis 3 (which wouldn't even cut the mustard on my 670 SLI's trying to hit a steady 120fps target).

Well, I'm sorry that I'm what was between you and getting that fantastic deal! If it makes you feel better, I'll be upgrading from a 3 year old Dell that has a GTS 240. Heh

And yeah, I was quite pleased when I saw the pic of the CM 212+. Obviously it's a great deal without it, but that's another $25 I don't have to spend!

What would you consider the right reasons? I specifically enjoy racing games and the typical FPS titles. But really when it comes down to it, I want something that's going to really impress me. Before I considered 120hz I was planning to get a 1440p Korean monitor.
Thanks again for your input. It all helps, and being as indecisive as I am, I need all the help I can get. Haha.
At the moment though, I feel pretty confident that I'm gonna go with that Asus.

Also, it might be nice to update the OP with that Asus replacing the other Asus, as the 120hz Asus is out of stock pretty much everywhere.

Kipp

Ah, gotcha. Well if you know of anyone who wants one, I don't plan to be modding it or doing any WCing so I'd feel bad hogging something like that! I'd be happy to sell it at a very fair price and just replace it with a Bitfenix Ghost or a Fractal R4 or something.

And thanks for the recommendation! I'll probably order it in a couple weeks so I can have it when I'm done with school and ready to game.
There's no reason to think it'll go out of stock, is there? I'd hate to wait just because I can and see if it goes on sale or something and then have it be out of stock when it's time for me to put in the order.

Edit: Sorry for double posting.

Kipp

No reason. If anything, I'd hope we have a whole new set of 120Hz panels on the market over the next few months.

Fantastic! Thanks again for the advice/info. I'll let you know how incredibly right you are about 120+hz being amazing in a few weeks time!

Koroviev

Do you think we're going to see more glossy 120Hz+ monitors? I don't want to wait for nothing, but I really prefer glossy over matte :\

ss_lemonade

I just noticed newegg selling the ocz vector 128gb model for $10 cheaper than the 840 pro equivalent. Does that automatically make it a better buy? Specs seem to indicate it as slightly faster but I don't know if its a better overall drive.

mkenyon

Banned
Do you think we're going to see more glossy 120Hz+ monitors? I don't want to wait for nothing, but I really prefer glossy over matte :
I very much hope so.
I just noticed newegg selling the ocz vector 128gb model for $10 cheaper than the 840 pro equivalent. Does that automatically make it a better buy? Specs seem to indicate it as slightly faster but I don't know if its a better overall drive.
If someone could tell the difference between some SSD from a year ago and the fastest of today in normal usage, I'd give it to them.

Reliability is all that matters. The jury is still out on the Vector, but I am hopeful.

Koroviev

I very much hope so.

If someone could tell the difference between some SSD from a year ago and the fastest of today in normal usage, I'd give it to them.

Reliability is all that matters. The jury is still out on the Vector, but I am hopeful.

Well, wait, does that 144Hz Asus use the same glossy/matte hybrid as my current 120Hz panel? Because I'm completely fine with that. I just don't want anything half as dark as the HDTV I'm using as a secondary monitor.

sixghost

I've got a quick question. I just had a power surge in my apartment, and the PC booted up to an ASUS bios screen saying that the MOBO detected a surge and powered down. The PC is hooked up to a surge protector, but it's pretty old, and the only specification that I could find on the thing was 150V.

Does this mean that the surge protector didn't catch the surge?

It isn't that it is overpriced, it is that there is too much being spent in the wrong places. The $1K build from the OP would outperform it.

How so? What specifically would be a better config for a video/photo workstation from the $1k build in your opinion?

That's why I have 16gb of RAM, the extra cache in the 3820 vs. the 3770K and have to go NVIDIA (premiere pro). Plus the $1k build does not include an OS.

mkenyon

Banned
How so? What specifically would be a better config for a video/photo workstation from the $1k build in your opinion?

That's why I have 16gb of RAM, the extra cache in the 3820 vs. the 3770K and have to go NVIDIA (premiere pro). Plus the $1k build does not include an OS.
I didn't see where you said no OC'ing. You can get 20-30% increased linear performance by doing so.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I have no plans to do 3D

If you do end up getting a 120hz monitor, you should get one with native 3D support.

I thought 3D was a really stupid gimmick and didn't really care about it at all.

I got a BenQ XL 2420TX at a great price so I figured I'd try it out.

It's a really, incredibly immersive experience and works so much better than I thought.

Since it's interactive, and being rendered in real time, it doesn't have the same issues that you get with a lot of movies in 3D, and it just really feels like the game comes alive.

Playing Rayman Origins in 3D converted me. It's astonishing.

Kipp

If you do end up getting a 120hz monitor, you should get one with native 3D support.

I thought 3D was a really stupid gimmick and didn't really care about it at all.

I got a BenQ XL 2420TX at a great price so I figured I'd try it out.

It's a really, incredibly immersive experience and works so much better than I thought.

Since it's interactive, and being rendered in real time, it doesn't have the same issues that you get with a lot of movies in 3D, and it just really feels like the game comes alive.

Playing Rayman Origins in 3D converted me. It's astonishing.

Ah, thanks for the info. Isn't 3D just for Nvidia cards though?

Kipp

3D vision is I believe yeah. I'm not very knowledgeable about AMD's 3D solutions so I'm not the person to ask for that though sorry.

Oh okay, well thanks anyways! I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well I'm up and running. Cable management got a bit sloppy, but I didn't have much of an option as most of the cords were to short to run through the back.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

Turned out to be the TV i was using, had to borrow my brother's monitor, use VGA and boot first. Then I could go back to my TV/Hdmi (I don't have a monitor yet).
Super solid. Just about the best performance you can get for your dollar! Enjoy :)
so, quick question. If I were to use a 9800gt alongside my 7950 for physx, would the xfx pro 550watt psu be enough power?
Should be fine if you are on just a light OC. I can't imagine PhysX is 100% load, but even then you'd be looking at 450W max probably (full stress).

Pandemic

My PC is near complete, erghhhh, so keen to just get the build completed!

Does anyone know if Seagate Barracuda 2TB is a good brand? It's much cheaper than Western Digital which makes me think that it's not as good as WD..

Any responses would be appreciated.

AllenShrz

My PC is near complete, erghhhh, so keen to just get the build completed!

Does anyone know if Seagate Barracuda 2TB is a good brand? It's much cheaper than Western Digital which makes me think that it's not as good as WD..

Any responses would be appreciated.

Never had a problem with Seagate but I did with WD.

Globox_82

Banned
These are parts that I consider getting. Of course price matters. On the bottom of the page I will write the sum that I would like not to cross. But first.

GPU Gigabyte GeForce GTX650 2GB
http://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/ko...ia-pci-e/gigabyte-gtx6502gbpci-e/180796.7063/

CPU Intel Core i5-3450
http://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/ko...el-socket-1155/intel-corei5-3450/179427.7073/

Moderboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (can CPU from above with on this one?)
http://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/kom...3/179476.7083/

RAM Corsair XMS3 16GB 1600Mhz (is it too much ram - some said in another thread, why do I need so much ?)
http://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/kom...3/181940.7060/

D-Link DGE-528T - do I need this at all?
http://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/nat...t/097236.4074/

CoolerMaster Elite 430
http://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/kom...0/178876.7055/

With these parts I am at 4500 swedish kr. and I would like to stay around there, since it is 500skr over for what I planned.. But I also need one of these, but I don't know which one would I need (how many W)
http://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/komponenter/ntaggregat
I doubt I can use the one I already have on my old PC - would be nice if I could to save money.

It seems good enough to me, but do you experts think I should change something?
I don't like to play games on PC, but SimCity and Heart of Swarm. I can't play those games on my ps3.

Pandemic

About to go crazy, hate building PC's, especially if there's 100 opinions coming my way.

Here's what I've gathered, sorry for continuously changing it, I'm sure I'm annoying half of you.
L4GUF5W.jpg

Went back to the black WD 2TB hard drive, since it'll probably be easier than 2 separate blue WD hard drives.

Also changed the cpu cooler to a enermax liquid cooler.

That's about it, but people are telling me to go for the Radeon 7970 graphics card, then if I get another one in the future, I can ''crossfire'' them, making it better than the graphics card listed above. But if I went with the nVidia GTX 680 Twin Frozr, which types of graphics cards can I ''SLI'' with it? Any nVidia graphics card?

I was also told to change to the.. ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard from the above motherboard, not sure what the difference is though other than it being a little cheaper.

Thanks, and I'll be out of t his thread soon!

GMM

Banned
Hows the concensus of the GTX Titan over the GTX 680 4GB?

Going with dual GTX 680 in SLI or a single GTX690 is not really an option due to the limited dual GPU support Adobe currently have with CS6, so having the most powerful Nvidia single GPU solution out there seems like it would be worth the near doubled pricepoint even if its only a 35%-40% in speed.

GMM

Banned
About to go crazy, hate building PC's, especially if there's 100 opinions coming my way.

Here's what I've gathered, sorry for continuously changing it, I'm sure I'm annoying half of you.

Went back to the black WD 2TB hard drive, since it'll probably be easier than 2 separate blue WD hard drives.

Also changed the cpu cooler to a enermax liquid cooler.

That's about it, but people are telling me to go for the Radeon 7970 graphics card, then if I get another one in the future, I can ''crossfire'' them, making it better than the graphics card listed above. But if I went with the nVidia GTX 680 Twin Frozr, which types of graphics cards can I ''SLI'' with it? Any nVidia graphics card?

I was also told to change to the.. ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard from the above motherboard, not sure what the difference is though other than it being a little cheaper.

Thanks, and I'll be out of t his thread soon!

Here is a small counter offer from a similar priced build from Newegg:
http://i.imgur.com/X01V938.png

Sacrificing the GTX 680 for a 7970 will give you a good amount of money to other parts of the rig while keeping similar gaming performance and you get two great games for free (If you planned on buying both, you could see this as savings).

I opted for the X79 platform and a much better CPU than the i5 you had picked and the X79 Sabertooth should be a very good performer + have tons of great features. You could go for a cheaper board and get the price lower. In order to hit your exact price i took out the Blu-Ray drive and went with a smaller SSD. Add about 200$ more and you should be able to get either the 256gb version of the SSD or another 128gb SSD for a super fast RAID0 configuration, along with a Blu-Ray drive. I would imagine the big downside here is that you have to build it yourself.

You could put a i7 3770k quad core CPU in there instead of the 3930k, completely evening out the price and features of your rig (SSD and Blu-Ray).

tipoo

Banned

scogoth

Hows the concensus of the GTX Titan over the GTX 680 4GB?

Going with dual GTX 680 in SLI or a single GTX690 is not really an option due to the limited dual GPU support Adobe currently have with CS6, so having the most powerful Nvidia single GPU solution out there seems like it would be worth the near doubled pricepoint even if its only a 35%-40% in speed.

Dual 680s, fastest
690 mostly faster
Titan with out a doubt beasting up the single GPU world. It more like 65-75% faster than a single 680

GMM

Banned
Titan with out a doubt beasting up the single GPU world. It more like 65-75% faster than a single 680

It's that much? I would gladly pay double the price for a single GPU card if i get a 50%+ increase in real world performance, seems like i should go investigate some more on that card.

noomi

For anyone with a Samsung 840 Pro SSD, what time or read/write speeds are you getting.

I'm sitting around 500/330, when I see people with 500/500, how is this possible? I'm running AHCI, Sata6GB, Intel RST drivers, and I just cant get those speeds.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Does anyone know the website, Toms Hardware is any good when it comes to providing feedback on builds?
I'd check Anandtech first, personally. The bench section is pretty useful.
EDIT: Hmm, maybe you were talking about getting feedback from their forums...I have no idea about that, there are probably some knowledgeable posters there. Same as anywhere.

These are parts that I consider getting. Of course price matters. On the bottom of the page I will write the sum that I would like not to cross. But first.

(snip)

You should probably start (over) by looking at the Standard or Enhanced builds in the OP and base your build on that, because a bunch of your parts don't really fit. Like you've got a very middling GPU but 16GB RAM which is way overkill for most purposes. I don't know shit about AMD CPUs so I have no idea how that MB/CPU combination compares but you will probably be told to go with Intel anyway, just as a heads up.

Also, wait a bit for a reply...I think the most knowledgeable posters in this thread are at work.

Ban Puncher

Just bought all this a couple of hours ago at a decent price for a friend's new build.

Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked 4-Core 3rd Gen Processor
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3 RAM CML8GX3M2A1600C9
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB Video Card
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 3.5" 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Samsung SH-224BB/BEBS 24x Internal SATA DVD OEM Burner Drive
ASUS PCE-N15 WLAN PCI-Express N300 Wireless Adapter
Corsair 200R Carbide Case
Antec 620W High Current Gamer Power Supply (HCG-620)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional DVD SP1 64-Bit OEM

ASUS VS248H 24" 2ms HDMI FHD LED Backlight Monitor
Logitech G100 Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo

This will let me get some practice in before finally replacing my ageing 5 year old rig, hopefully in the next couple of months. This thread has been an invaluable source of information and help. Subbed. Thanks duders.

Feel free to rate and berate.

So what is the state of AMD? I did research last year on AMD CPUs and ended up buying a 1090t for my current set-up but there was a lot of negative energy revolving around AMD at the time when AM3+ and Bulldozer was hitting the market, for example AMD was rumored to be sold/stop making CPUs. I see they have some AM3+ socket CPUs out now and my motherboard supports AM3+ so are they still worth looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom