• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shambles

So what is the state of AMD? I did research last year on AMD CPUs and ended up buying a 1090t for my current set-up but there was a lot of negative energy revolving around AMD at the time when AM3+ and Bulldozer was hitting the market, for example AMD was rumored to be sold/stop making CPUs. I see they have some AM3+ socket CPUs out now and my motherboard supports AM3+ so are they still worth looking at?

Not for any sort of gaming or encoding system. For a browsing/video/emailing machine they perform adequately. Intel is streets ahead of AMD in performance. But if you just need a budget barebones system the low end AMD stuff is probably a little more compelling $/performance wise.

mkenyon

Banned
As I said in your thread, Please read the best gaming CPUs for the money and the best gaming GPUs for the money, and select according to your price bracket

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Yes :p
Please don't link Tom's as a place to go for information and advice. Heck, even as much as I love them otherwise, even those Anandtech relative performance charts are more or less worthless these days.

kharma45

So what is the state of AMD? I did research last year on AMD CPUs and ended up buying a 1090t for my current set-up but there was a lot of negative energy revolving around AMD at the time when AM3+ and Bulldozer was hitting the market, for example AMD was rumored to be sold/stop making CPUs. I see they have some AM3+ socket CPUs out now and my motherboard supports AM3+ so are they still worth looking at?

I'd stick with your 1090T unless you get a great deal on say the 8350. It's still a good CPU and with an overclock it'll perform very well.

Not for any sort of gaming or encoding system. For a browsing/video/emailing machine they perform adequately. Intel is streets ahead of AMD in performance. But if you just need a budget barebones system the low end AMD stuff is probably a little more compelling $/performance wise.

With games becoming more highly threaded AMD might actually not be as bad as has been made out, look at the Crysis 3 CPU benches.

What are you GPU/CPU. It depends on what you have.

Like my good old i7-930 with GTX470s, 85C CPU and 103C GPUs. Nothing like a space heater for a computer.

i5 3570K and 7870 XT

I was benchmarking last night using heaven 4.0 and the GPU was hitting 71 C. Not sure if thats high or not

v0mitg0d

Gentlemen...

No SSD in that machine is a crime.

...especially with the lack of an SSD.

You should try to get a SSD asap, especially with a PC so powerful. The difference is amazing. Once you try it you can not go back.

mkenyon said:
OMG WTF are you doing no SSD?!?!?
^^^^^mkenyon never said this, I just assumed it's what he was thinking.

I'm happy to inform you I discussed this with the family's CFO (read:My wife) and agreed to move from that WD 2TB HDD to a Crucial M4 256GB. I can not spend a penny more, so that's the biggest drive I can afford. I have to admit I'm slightly nervous I'll fill that up quickly once I get Steam/Origin going, however I suppose I'll just have to plan my installs more carefully.

I'm SOOOOOOOO excited to play some of these games! :D

kennah

Gentlemen...

^^^^^mkenyon never said this, I just assumed it's what he was thinking.

I'm happy to inform you I discussed this with the family's CFO (read:My wife) and agreed to move from that WD 2TB HDD to a Crucial M4 256GB. I can not spend a penny more, so that's the biggest drive I can afford. I have to admit I'm slightly nervous I'll fill that up quickly once I get Steam/Origin going, however I suppose I'll just have to plan my installs more carefully.

I'm SOOOOOOOO excited to play some of these games! :D

I'm proud of you son. Start saving up for an USB 3 drive or 2.5" 1TB, or 512gig SSD :) (there are 1tb ssds coming out soon for around $600)

mkenyon

Banned
What CPU/MOBO combo is going to give me the longest lifespan? 3770K or 3820/x79?

Thanks for all of the opinions and help!
Hard to say at this point. If you want to do a drop in upgrade for Ivy-E when it's released, then X79 probably will. I don't like that Intel motherboard though. X79 is a minefield when it comes to motherboards, ASUS and ASRock are the only ones that seem to be consistently good.
About to go crazy, hate building PC's, especially if there's 100 opinions coming my way.

Here's what I've gathered, sorry for continuously changing it, I'm sure I'm annoying half of you.
L4GUF5W.jpg

Went back to the black WD 2TB hard drive, since it'll probably be easier than 2 separate blue WD hard drives.

Also changed the cpu cooler to a enermax liquid cooler.

That's about it, but people are telling me to go for the Radeon 7970 graphics card, then if I get another one in the future, I can ''crossfire'' them, making it better than the graphics card listed above. But if I went with the nVidia GTX 680 Twin Frozr, which types of graphics cards can I ''SLI'' with it? Any nVidia graphics card?

I was also told to change to the.. ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard from the above motherboard, not sure what the difference is though other than it being a little cheaper.

Thanks, and I'll be out of t his thread soon!
PSU is crazy overkill. Get a Seasonic M12II 620/650 modular.

Enermax CPU cooler is unnecessary. Ivy has a heatwall that pretty much any CPU cooler should get you to.

Price on R4 is $50 over MSRP.

Wireless = No No. Get a powerline adapter.

Price and specific mobo = meh. Get the ASRock Extreme 4.

That should shave off quite a bit on price.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Wireless = No No. Get a powerline adapter.

Oh! I've been thinking since last night about how I'm gonna get internet from the living room into my bedroom. I had no idea that powerline adapters were a thing.
Do they work exactly how they seem like they would work? AKA I plug one into the modem and an outlet on one end and then I plug the other end into an outlet and connect it via ethernet to my PC and voila, I have the same internet speeds I'd have if I connected straight into the modem?
This is very cool. You just solved one of my only major issues I needed to figure out.

Also, any specific one you recommend or do all of them pretty much do the job just fine?

scogoth

Oh! I've been thinking since last night about how I'm gonna get internet from the living room into my bedroom. I had no idea that powerline adapters were a thing.
Do they work exactly how they seem like they would work? AKA I plug one into the modem and an outlet on one end and then I plug the other end into an outlet and connect it via ethernet to my PC and voila, I have the same internet speeds I'd have if I connected straight into the modem?
This is very cool. You just solved one of my only major issues I needed to figure out.

Also, any specific one you recommend or do all of them pretty much do the job just fine?

Its not as fast as Ethernet not even close, but way better then wireless. The two plugs should be on the same circuit breaker. It can work across breakers but not very well and sometimes not at all.

My NVIDIA drivers keep dying, man. The screen will go black, and it'll reset itself. What's the deal with that? I tried old drivers, new drivers, beta drivers. I running out of ideas here. Should I just disable the damn thing when I'm not gaming?

mkenyon

Banned
My NVIDIA drivers keep dying, man. The screen will go black, and it'll reset itself. What's the deal with that? I tried old drivers, new drivers, beta drivers. I running out of ideas here. Should I just disable the damn thing when I'm not gaming?
The order of this is important:

Delete everything in C:\NVIDIA. Delete all of the downloaded drivers (the installers). Go into Add/Remove Programs and uninstall everything that says NVIDIA. Restart computer.

If your resolution and everything look fine, you didn't do something listed above. Make sure you do all of it. Restart system until you boot into windows and the resolution is super low.

Download last known stable drivers, and install those.

The order of this is important:

Delete everything in C:\NVIDIA. Delete all of the downloaded drivers (the installers). Go into Add/Remove Programs and uninstall everything that says NVIDIA. Restart computer.

If your resolution and everything look fine, you didn't do something listed above. Make sure you do all of it. Restart system until you boot into windows and the resolution is super low.

Download last known stable drivers, and install those.

Alright, gonna try this. It's seriously happening every 5-10 minutes now

Do you see a process named iehighutil.exe in the Task Manager?

Yeah I do

It's a trojan. Someone is stealing your GPU-bandwidth and makes money of it. Kill it with fire and remove everything in the folder where the .exe is located. Run Malwarebytes as well.

I'm not sure how it spreads, but I heard Reloaded included it in one of their recent releases.

It's a trojan. Someone is stealing your GPU-bandwidth and makes money of it. Kill it with fire and remove everything in the folder where the .exe is located. Run Malwarebytes as well.

I'm not sure how it spreads, but I heard Reloaded included it in one of their recent releases.

Son of a bitch

My brother is ALWAYS downloading all kinds of shit on here, I guess this was inevitable. MalwareBytes didn't pick up last time around.

Thanks for the help, ya'll

mkenyon

Banned

As in APB reloaded?

I think Reloaded is one of those pirate groups like Skidrow or some shit

I just chewed my brother out about these damn downloads. This shit was seriously scaring me.

Son of a bitch

My brother is ALWAYS downloading all kinds of shit on here, I guess this was inevitable. MalwareBytes didn't pick up last time around.

Thanks for the help, ya'll

The .exe itself is the official "mining" application from Bitcoin and that's probably why Malwarebytes isn't picking it up. The only (presumable) difference is that it sends all the calculated data to one specific person.

If you remove it and all the related files with it I'd say you're pretty safe.

GMM

Banned
I think i have finally settled on a build i can agree on in a Titan build one.

Updated Titan build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX Titan - 6GB
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X79
RAM: G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400MHz (4x8) Trident X
SSD: Crucial M4 - 128gb
Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i
Case: Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl
PSU: Corsair HX750

This build would also contain the following i already have:

1 x Crucial M4 - 128GB (RAID0 with the new one)
1 x OCZ Velociraptor 3 - 60gb
2 x 1 TB HDD's (One Seagate and one Western Digital, mass storage only)
1 x BlackMagic Intensity Pro

I don't think i can really get a better single GPU solution than this for the moment being without going into the insanely expensive specialized GPU solutions.

Deepo

I certainly can't fault your RAM choice. That looks like a great build, though you could maybe future proof a bit more with a stronger PSU. Never know when you feel the need for those two additional Titans!

Edit: I see you're getting a Blackmagic Intensity as well. Are you aware of Durantes PtBi application? Sounds like fun if you want to enhance PS3 and 360 games a bit.

mkenyon

Banned
I think i have finally settled on a build i can agree on in a Titan build one.

Updated Titan build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX Titan - 6GB
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X79
RAM: G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400MHz (4x8) Trident X
SSD: Crucial M4 - 128gb
Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i
Case: Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl
PSU: Corsair HX750

This build would also contain the following i already have:

1 x Crucial M4 - 128GB (RAID0 with the new one)
1 x OCZ Velociraptor 3 - 60gb
2 x 1 TB HDD's (One Seagate and one Western Digital, mass storage only)
1 x BlackMagic Intensity Pro

I don't think i can really get a better single GPU solution than this for the moment being without going into the insanely expensive specialized GPU solutions.
I like it. That's pretty much exactly what I would pick out for an encoding/multimedia machine. Seriously, part for part.

What I would do is move one of the 140mm fans to the bottom front intake, and one to the floor next to the HDD cage/PSU. Remove the middle HDD cage. Have the H100 exhausting out of the top. This will still leave you with negative pressure unless the H100 is on low, but it's pretty close to even. It will also give some nice direct airflow to your Titan to help keep it cool (which means quiet).

You could further add an additional 140mm Fractal fan to the front, or use Cosair AF 120 Quiet Editions/Noiseblocker eLoops/Arctic Cooling F12's in those intake spots. That would ensure positive pressure through dust filters.

*edit*

Also Pro Tip: You can stick SSD's anywhere with some double sided mounting tape from 3M.

GMM

Banned
I certainly can't fault your RAM choice. That looks like a great build, though you could maybe future proof a bit more with a stronger PSU. Never know when you feel the need for those two additional Titans!

Edit: I see you're getting a Blackmagic Intensity as well. Are you aware of Durantes PtBi application? Sounds like fun if you want to enhance PS3 and 360 games a bit.

The idea is to put in the strongest single GPU in order to get the best possible performance in single GPU tasks, so unless Adobe suddenly moves into multiple GPU support i have no reason to ever go with a multi GPU setup. Out of curiosity, how much extra would i have to dump down for a PSU?

And yes, i know PtBi, quite a nifty tool that i use some times.

cryptic

Gaf I'm building an htpc, mini-itx asrock mobo, and am now looking for a power supply. Any cheap suggestions of quality?

mkenyon

Banned
The idea is to put in the strongest single GPU in order to get the best possible performance in single GPU tasks, so unless Adobe suddenly moves into multiple GPU support i have no reason to ever go with a multi GPU setup. Out of curiosity, how much extra would i have to dump down for a PSU?

And yes, i know PtBi, quite a nifty tool that i use some times.
That PSU could handle an additional Titan on top of what you have already. It's plenty.

LordAlu

Can I get a quick opinion? I currently have an Intel 3570k overclocked to 4.4GHz and 8GB RAM, along with an EVGA 560Ti. I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card so I can run 1080p on very high settings - my 560Ti struggles to keep a steady 60 at very high settings with some of the latest stuff (especially Crysis 3). I can get this card for £204:

XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DD

along with those games as well. Would this be a good upgrade or is there another card for what I'm after that I should be looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom