• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
it uses the electrical wiring in your house to transfer signal. 1 unit in 1 room, 1 in another.

they plug in to your outlets and use your house wiring as ethernet cable

Damn, that sounds awesome. I'm assuming the connection is almost just as good as direct connection to the modem right?

So I'm trying to freshly install Windows 8 Pro on my Dell XPS 8500 (as in format internal HD completely). I downloaded Windows 8 Pro through Microsoft and made a bootable USB device through the Windows 8 downloader interface. When I boot up into the USB Device to install Windows, it says that the Product Key I have isn't matched to any images available on the device.

Is it reading my product key on the computer itself, which comes with basic Windows 8? How can I get around this?

scogoth

So I'm trying to freshly install Windows 8 Pro on my Dell XPS 8500 (as in format internal HD completely). I downloaded Windows 8 Pro through Microsoft and made a bootable USB device through the Windows 8 downloader interface. When I boot up into the USB Device to install Windows, it says that the Product Key I have isn't matched to any images available on the device.

Is it reading my product key on the computer itself, which comes with basic Windows 8? How can I get around this?

Yes it is grabbing it from your computer (a new windows 8 thing) and you can't install pro if your license is for windows 8 basic.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
it uses the electrical wiring in your house to transfer signal. 1 unit in 1 room, 1 in another.

they plug in to your outlets and use your house wiring as ethernet cable

That sounds great. My wi-fi isn't great but ethernet is out of the question as my PC is on the second floor of the house and running cable isn't an option.

So technically all I need is this?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_1348&products_id=17635

One plugs into my modem (and power point) downstairs and the other to my PC ( and powerpoint) upstairs?

mkenyon

Banned
Are talking about me, youself, kennah...who else have you dragged into this hobby?
I was just trying to finish Smokey's post above mine.

But yeah, my shopping cart right now looks pretty ridiculous because of the amount of fittings I'm having to use. 18 total comp fittings, to give you an idea.
Is Frozen CPU the place to go for looking for watercooling stuff?

I haven't given up
Dazmode is a pretty good etailer in Canada. FrozenCPU, Performance PC's, and Sidewinder PC's are the three big ones for the US.

mkenyon

Banned
Doesn't matter one lick. The water moves so quickly that it stays pretty much the same temperature. You might see a 1-2C variance from pre-radiator to post-radiator.

kennah

Doesn't matter one lick. The water moves so quickly that it stays pretty much the same temperature. You might see a 1-2C variance from pre-radiator to post-radiator.

Ah ok, that explains why I haven't been able to find an answer.

THanks for Dazmode. This guy has awesome videos and info on his website.

IMACOMPUTA

Ok I'm finally looking into overclocking my 3570k to 4.5 ghz. I got it there and stable at 1.22 vcore but I'm hitting 79c under load.

Right now I'm using a hyper 212 but I'm thinkin about upgrading. What's something that would offer a noticeable improvement? More info: I have a stormscout case with 2x6950s and my top fan isn't working. I'll be replacing that too.
Asus z77 vlk

Anyone?

scogoth

Ah ok, that explains why I haven't been able to find an answer.

THanks for Dazmode. This guy has awesome videos and info on his website.

Unfortunately also limited selection and limited stock. I often find his site out of stock of the best items. I use him when I can and frozencpu for hard to find stuff, just remember to use USPS instead of UPS because UPS charges obscene brokerage fees (like more then the worth of the shipment)

kennah

Yeah been hit by those before from UPS.

I know what block and rads I want. Now to pick pump and reservoir.

Watching Daz's videos with my wife made her a lot more interested in the build that is going on. If I can find some of the parts second hand I think I can do water this year.

wiggleb0t

Banned

If you're hitting 79*Celsius during intense benchmarks it'll only equate to like max of 60-70* during gaming I'm guessing
Prime95, LinX etc and other benchmark tools will put the cpu under more extreme demand resulting in max thermal temp than gaming or using emulators.

1.22 volts sounds reasonable(?) I'm 1.3v 3770k HT/on 4.7ghz

Pandemic

Hard to say at this point. If you want to do a drop in upgrade for Ivy-E when it's released, then X79 probably will. I don't like that Intel motherboard though. X79 is a minefield when it comes to motherboards, ASUS and ASRock are the only ones that seem to be consistently good.

PSU is crazy overkill. Get a Seasonic M12II 620/650 modular.

Enermax CPU cooler is unnecessary. Ivy has a heatwall that pretty much any CPU cooler should get you to.

Price on R4 is $50 over MSRP.

Wireless = No No. Get a powerline adapter.

Price and specific mobo = meh. Get the ASRock Extreme 4.

That should shave off quite a bit on price.

I'll need 750W if I want to do SLI, won't I?

What the heck is a powerline adapter?

If I were to get the ASRock, I'd probably get Extreme 6.

Thanks for the help.

OK PCGAF, back with another question...

So a friend of mine has a Gigabyte Radeon 6950, this model here to be precise:

1326861358.jpg

And he tells me that the fans on this beast are starting to get on his nerves. He says that all three fans are becoming noisy and it is driving him insane. So what would be the easiest way to remedy this? Would adding a bit oil to the fans work? Or what about replacement fans or a replacement cooler? What would you guys suggest?

Pandemic

Alright, so this is what I've put together for the 50th time. I don't really want any changes that will reduce the price, since money isn't an issue, but I don't want to go over $2500.
v1y0Qg3.jpg

In regards to the GPU, would I just need to get the same GPU if I wanted to go SLI?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Alright, so this is what I've put together for the 50th time. I don't really want any changes that will reduce the price, since money isn't an issue, but I don't want to go over $2500.
v1y0Qg3.jpg

In regards to the GPU, would I just need to get the same GPU if I wanted to go SLI?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Powerline adapter uses your electric lines for internet. Apparently it works really well. Better than Wireless. Don't sweat the markup on the R4 since you are in AUS

NOW STOP MAKING CHANGES FOR NO REASON or have the other people you talk to justify their shit.

Pandemic

Powerline adapter uses your electric lines for internet. Apparently it works really well. Better than Wireless. Don't sweat the markup on the R4 since you are in AUS

NOW STOP MAKING CHANGES FOR NO REASON or have the other people you talk to justify their shit.

You seem to be the most experienced so I'll just stick with what you say, my apologies with the continuous changes. I'm very, very indecisive :p

Alright, I'll change to that motherboard. Cheers mate.

Changed the cooler too, and the PSU. Hmm, I'm tempted but everyone says it won't do much for gaming, and this PC will mainly be for gaming.. :S

Never een knew powerline adapter's existed.. Does anyone recommend a good brand?
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=200_1348

mkenyon

Banned
You seem to be the most experienced so I'll just stick with what you say, my apologies with the continuous changes. I'm very, very indecisive :p

Changed the cooler too, and the PSU. Hmm, I'm tempted but everyone says it won't do much for gaming, and this PC will mainly be for gaming.. :S

Never een knew powerline adapter's existed.. Does anyone recommend a good brand?

What the PSU does for gaming is keep your system running for an indefinite period rather than shitting out and killing parts.

I mean, you need a working PC in order to play games on said PC, amirite?

Pandemic

What the PSU does for gaming is keep your system running for an indefinite period rather than shitting out and killing parts.

I mean, you need a working PC in order to play games on said PC, amirite?

That's probably why my PC has been shutting down randomly lately..

Thanks

With the wireless adapter, I'm thinking of getting this one,
http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/powerline/high-performance/XAVB5101.aspx

But I don't get how it works.. Does plug A have to be plugged into the same power board as the router...? Then plug b...? What?

Who the fuck are you talking to? Seriously :O

Hahaha, I'm going based off what the internet says (other forums, articles, etc). :p

dammit internet.

It might not seem as important but it can be since the type of stuff you want to do with gaming can affect it (single card vs multiple cards, possible crazy cooling for OCd parts, etc). Plus you dont want the rest of your parts to go down the drain because your PSU was fucking garbage.

So its not as throwaway as you wrote there

Ban Puncher

I'd get a Xornet/Spawn mouse and some keyboard combo instead.
Prefer the BP550 (modular) to the Antec HCG's

Keyboard bundle was more than half off the price and seemed like a cheap entry option. Had to work to a certain budget so cost effective accessories, sunk most into the box itself.

No BP550's in stock. Was initially going to get the Corsair GS600 but read multiple reports of quality issues and was steered towards the Antec HCG620 for similar money and positive reviews.

I am now trying to convince myself that I need a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD in my new build.

Oh god.....

LordAlu

Can I get a quick opinion? I currently have an Intel 3570k overclocked to 4.4GHz and 8GB RAM, along with an EVGA 560Ti. I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card so I can run 1080p on very high settings - my 560Ti struggles to keep a steady 60 at very high settings with some of the latest stuff (especially Crysis 3). I can get this card for £204:

XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DD

along with those games as well. Would this be a good upgrade or is there another card for what I'm after that I should be looking at?

The XFX is pretty shite, better off with the Gigabyte 7950.

Any particular reason why? I assume the Double D model I listed is poorer performing in some way? I can get the Asus model (Asus HD7950 DC2 3GB) for around £235ish. I'll have to see if I can source the Gigabyte variant to see what the price difference is.

AllenShrz

Any particular reason why? I assume the Double D model I listed is poorer performing in some way? I can get the Asus model (Asus HD7950 DC2 3GB) for around £235ish. I'll have to see if I can source the Gigabyte variant to see what the price difference is.

Save some extra money and go for the 7970. On demanding games the 7970 takes the lead by quite a bit.

But still is not enough for Crysis at 1080p 60fps, not with everything maxed out that is. You will have to play on a mix of Ultra High and High Settings, everything ultra and you will be running at 50sh fps depending on the level, 40sh on the last part.

Pandemic

dammit internet.

It might not seem as important but it can be since the type of stuff you want to do with gaming can affect it (single card vs multiple cards, possible crazy cooling for OCd parts, etc). Plus you dont want the rest of your parts to go down the drain because your PSU was fucking garbage.

So its not as throwaway as you wrote there

Wait what? The PSU to be changed is fine, what I was referring to when I said ''Hmm, I'm tempted but everyone says it won't do much for gaming, and this PC will mainly be for gaming.. :S'' was in regards to the CPU, changing from the i5 to i7, I ment a lot of people said it's not worth the extra $100 when it comes to gaming.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wait what? The PSU to be changed is fine, what I was referring to when I said ''Hmm, I'm tempted but everyone says it won't do much for gaming, and this PC will mainly be for gaming.. :S'' was in regards to the CPU, changing from the i5 to i7, I ment a lot of people said it's not worth the extra $100 when it comes to gaming.
If you are fine with upgrading your CPU later (to the i7 3770K) and selling your i5 then you may get your i5, but honestly it's in your budget and some games are starting to take advantage of it, and more should in the future. Might as well get it now imo.

Gaf! So I am still very happy with my gaming PC, it's not amazing but it can handle most games on full whack. However I was thinking of picking up a SSD, firstly would it be sensible to run a SSD along with my HDD? How easy would it be to make the SSD my main drive and switch everything I want over to it?

I am looking at: Samsung 250GB 840 Series SSD which is £127.

Pandemic

If you are fine with upgrading your CPU later (to the i7 3770K) and selling your i5 then you may get your i5, but honestly it's in your budget and some games are starting to take advantage of it, and more should in the future. Might as well get it now imo.

True.. I'll see, I most likely will but apart from that, I guess my build is complete..
GKluVJW.jpg

Way over my original budget of $2000, lol. Do I need the blu-ray writer, I probably won't even play blu-ray, I haven't needed to use blu-ray once on this current PC. Anyone know a cheaper yet good disc tray thingo?

Merovin

Stupid question incoming:

I have just bought a new graphics card, I already have an SLI set up, so I will be replacing the top one and keeping the other one as a dedicated physx card. I know when upgrading a graphics card I need to disable the one I'm replacing in device manager, however how can I confirm which card in device manager is the right one to disable if they're both the same?

Durante

Pandemic, I'm still saying you shouldn't spend that much on a PC right now and get a 2GB GPU. It would make much more sense to go with an i5 and a 4GB 680.

Pandemic

Swap the Enermax cooler for one I mentioned and get an ASUS DVD burner.

Done, trying to find an ASUS DVD Burner, can't find an ASUS one, unless I'm blind.

Thanks.

Pandemic, I'm still saying you shouldn't spend that much on a PC right now and get a 2GB GPU. It would make much more sense to go with an i5 and a 4GB 680.

Oh.. Why shouldn't I spend that much on a PC? :s

Thanks for the response.

TheD

The Detective
OK PCGAF, back with another question...

So a friend of mine has a Gigabyte Radeon 6950, this model here to be precise:

1326861358.jpg

And he tells me that the fans on this beast are starting to get on his nerves. He says that all three fans are becoming noisy and it is driving him insane. So what would be the easiest way to remedy this? Would adding a bit oil to the fans work? Or what about replacement fans or a replacement cooler? What would you guys suggest?

I would get a replacement cooler for that no matter what, that fucker of a heatsink has a chance of falling off!

The only way the heatsink is connect to the card is via a thin shim that is screwed to the PCB and then is attached to the rest of the heatsink via what looks like thermal paste!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Done, trying to find an ASUS DVD Burner, can't find an ASUS one, unless I'm blind.
Thanks.

Oh.. Why shouldn't I spend that much on a PC? :s
Thanks for the response.
Just nab some DVD burner then.

I'd agree with Durante, but still stick with the i7 since you don't have a hard budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom