• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Globox_82

Banned
This one stands out, particularly if you're using it as a main drive. Even if you're not, it's a fair bit slower than the Black if you're using the drive for games.

so I should change it? Yes that will be my main one and for games. What should I look for then?

kharma45

You can overclock on 75 it's just not recommended.

But yes, do that.

And get a http://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/ko...kylning/coolermaster-hyper212evo/179090.7058/

Is it not just base clock though?

550w is plenty for a single GPU and an overclocked 3570K

Can I get a quick opinion? I currently have an Intel 3570k overclocked to 4.4GHz and 8GB RAM, along with an EVGA 560Ti. I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card so I can run 1080p on very high settings - my 560Ti struggles to keep a steady 60 at very high settings with some of the latest stuff (especially Crysis 3). I can get this card for £204:

XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DD

along with those games as well. Would this be a good upgrade or is there another card for what I'm after that I should be looking at?

The XFX is pretty shite, better off with the Gigabyte 7950.

Deepo

The idea is to put in the strongest single GPU in order to get the best possible performance in single GPU tasks, so unless Adobe suddenly moves into multiple GPU support i have no reason to ever go with a multi GPU setup. Out of curiosity, how much extra would i have to dump down for a PSU?

And yes, i know PtBi, quite a nifty tool that i use some times.

That PSU could handle an additional Titan on top of what you have already. It's plenty.

Yeah, listen to mkenyon. You could get a HX 850 for just a little more, but that wouldn't be much point. And from there on the price starts rising rapidly. Anyway, it looks like a beast.

GMM

Banned
I like it. That's pretty much exactly what I would pick out for an encoding/multimedia machine. Seriously, part for part.

What I would do is move one of the 140mm fans to the bottom front intake, and one to the floor next to the HDD cage/PSU. Remove the middle HDD cage. Have the H100 exhausting out of the top. This will still leave you with negative pressure unless the H100 is on low, but it's pretty close to even. It will also give some nice direct airflow to your Titan to help keep it cool (which means quiet).

You could further add an additional 140mm Fractal fan to the front, or use Cosair AF 120 Quiet Editions/Noiseblocker eLoops/Arctic Cooling F12's in those intake spots. That would ensure positive pressure through dust filters.

*edit*

Also Pro Tip: You can stick SSD's anywhere with some double sided mounting tape from 3M.

I don't really feel like going all McGyver on it (taping SSD's and whatnot). I plan to have the H100i exhaust out the top and keep the rest as stock, but that's not good enough?

mkenyon

Banned
Nope. You'll have extreme negative pressure which means lots of dust build up and poor GPU cooling.

Moving fans around is literally the easiest thing you can do.

SSD's can be taped anywhere because they don't get hot (as long as they aren't next to something that gets hot), and they don't have moving parts. Behind the motherboard tray is a great place for them.

It doesn't look sloppy or anything:

eYJIRh.jpg

Those are my SSD's on the side of the optical bay.

gilljoy

Heatsink for an i7 930? I've got a True and its a loud beast :( if the true is good enough replacement fan recommendations?

GMM

Banned
Nope. You'll have extreme negative pressure which means lots of dust build up and poor GPU cooling.

Moving fans around is literally the easiest thing you can do.

SSD's can be taped anywhere because they don't get hot (as long as they aren't next to something that gets hot), and they don't have moving parts. Behind the motherboard tray is a great place for them.

It doesn't look sloppy or anything:

Those are my SSD's on the side of the optical bay.

That looks quite good actually, what fans are you using there?

So for my 2 mass storage HDD i assume i could buy some mounting frames for 3.5" -> 5.25 and mount them at the top. My 60gb SSD is already in a 3.5" mounting frame, so i guess i could mount that with the normal HDD's. The two crucial SSD's could then be on the side of the 5.25" case as seen in your picture.

Edit: How noise is that setup?

mkenyon

Banned
Those are BitFenix Spectre Pro's

They're good, but not quite as good as the Arctic Cooling F12s which are the same price. Same with the Swiftech Helix.

*edit*

I would generally spin my fans at 800-1000RPM, so the build was ambient noise or lower. The loudest part was the pump, and when I switched that to internally mounted, I couldn't hear a thing.
Heatsink for an i7 930? I've got a True and its a loud beast :( if the true is good enough replacement fan recommendations?
$10 - Arctic Cooling F12, Swiftech Helix
$15 - Corsair SP 120 Quiet Edition
$15-20 - Gentle Typhoon AP14/AP15
$20+ - Noiseblocker eLoop

GMM

Banned

They're good, but not quite as good as the Arctic Cooling F12s which are the same price. Same with the Swiftech Helix.

*edit*

I would generally spin my fans at 800-1000RPM, so the build was ambient noise or lower. The loudest part was the pump, and when I switched that to internally mounted, I couldn't hear a thing.

So 3 Arctic Cooling F12's would do the job? 1 for the back and two for the front? Should i change the fans on the 100i (if possible)?

Edit: Aren't the back and front fans 120mm?

mkenyon

Banned
The stock Fractal Fans are pretty quiet, and if you wanted to save some scratch, just get an additional one. That would give you pretty optimal temps while maintaining a really quiet build.

The H100i fans are basically highly variable Corsair SP120s which are fantastic fans. If you set them on low, you'll have excellent temps even with a healthy 4.5GHz OC. If you plan on keeping it at stock speeds, then there's zero reason to go above low.

*edit*

Nope, stock fans are 140s.

*edit 2*

Here's how I set up my R4. With the H100 as exhaust, you'd esentially be having the same setup but the exhaust would all be on the top rather than split between the rear/top. Then put the other fan on that spot next to the PSU. Lots of fresh air right at that Titan which is *also* an exhaust fan for all intents and purposes.

I really feel i should have went with that 7970 that was on sale for $360 on NCIX. I didn't realize my roommates monitor was as good as it was(Dell 27in U2711 1440p). I expected to play all my games at 1080p max but 1440p looks so damn nice.

So far my 7870 XT is playing games at max setting at 1440p pretty damn well(Tomb Raider 28fps avg, Sim City5 30fps locked) but i know the more graphically intensive stuff is probably going to be unplayable.

shit!

gilljoy

*edit*

$10 - Arctic Cooling F12, Swiftech Helix
$15 - Corsair SP 120 Quiet Edition
$15-20 - Gentle Typhoon AP14/AP15
$20+ - Noiseblocker eLoop

I've heard good things about a Noctua NF-F12. What do you think of those?

GMM

Banned
The stock Fractal Fans are pretty quiet, and if you wanted to save some scratch, just get an additional one. That would give you pretty optimal temps while maintaining a really quiet build.

The H100i fans are basically highly variable Corsair SP120s which are fantastic fans. If you set them on low, you'll have excellent temps even with a healthy 4.5GHz OC. If you plan on keeping it at stock speeds, then there's zero reason to go above low.

*edit*

Nope, stock fans are 140s.

I meant to write 140mm, sorry. Aren't the F12 only 120mm fans? They fit fine on the casing?

mkenyon

Banned
I meant to write 140mm, sorry. Aren't the F12 only 120mm fans? They fit fine on the casing?
Yeah, it accepts 120s or 140s anywhere.
I've heard good things about a Noctua NF-F12. What do you think of those?
Overpriced. Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition performs on par for $7 less. Noiseblocker eLoops are better than them at the same price.
I really feel i should have went with that 7970 that was on sale for $360 on NCIX. I didn't realize my roommates monitor was as good as it was(Dell 27in U2711 1440p). I expected to play all my games at 1080p max but 1440p looks so damn nice.

So far my 7870 XT is playing games at max setting at 1440p pretty damn well(Tomb Raider 28fps avg, Sim City5 30fps locked) but i know the more graphically intensive stuff is probably going to be unplayable.

shit!
How is 28-30 FPS and "playable" the same thing? :p

GMM

Banned
Yeah, it accepts 120s or 140s anywhere.

Great! So to break it down.

I purchase 3 x Arctic Cooling F12 fans (one for the back and two for the front) all taking in air for the H100i and GTX Titan to exhaust.

What model of the F12's should i go for? I see a number of different ones availible:

F12
F12 TC
F12 PWN
F12 Pro
F12 Pro TC
F12 Pro PWM
F12 PWM

The normal F12 is the cheapest, but i don't know if these other models give any advantage.

For the SSD/HDD setup. I mount my three SSD disks in the bottom cage like seen on your picture and then i mount my two standard 1 tb HDD's in the top case using mounting adapters.

Good?

Edit: No, it doesnt seem like i would be able to fit a DVD drive in the top of the case with 2 standard size HHD's.

Sorry! Just reposting my question:

Guys, I have currently have a ASUS HD7850 installed, but with the recent new releases, I've got the itch to upgrade. What graphics card could I purchase to give me a significant increase in FPS and IQ?

mkenyon

Banned
Great! So to break it down.

I purchase 3 x Arctic Cooling F12 fans (one for the back and two for the front) all taking in air for the H100i and GTX Titan to exhaust.

What model of the F12's should i go for? I see a number of different ones availible:

F12
F12 TC
F12 PWN
F12 Pro
F12 Pro TC
F12 Pro PWM
F12 PWM

The normal F12 is the cheapest, but i don't know if these other models give any advantage.

For the SSD/HDD setup. I mount my three SSD disks in the bottom cage like seen on your picture and then i mount my two standard 1 tb HDD's in the top case using mounting adapters.

Good?

Edit: No, it doesnt seem like i would be able to fit a DVD drive in the top of the case with 2 standard size HHD's.
If you have the F12's in the front, you can go ahead and leave the full drive cage in there and use it.

Fans, in addition to CFM (airflow) and dB, are rated by static pressure (mm/H2O). This is essentially a measurement of how well the fans work when obstructed by something. The stock fractal fans have an abysmal static pressure rating. Removing the middle HDD cage allows it to breathe a bit more and put some good air through.

The F12s have really good static pressure, and as such, won't be overly affected by the front HDD cages. The standard F12s are what you want, because you'll be able to control them with the built in fan controller.

kharma45

Sorry! Just reposting my question:

Guys, I have currently have a ASUS HD7850 installed, but with the recent new releases, I've got the itch to upgrade. What graphics card could I purchase to give me a significant increase in FPS and IQ?

You'd have to go up to a 7950 or a 7970, although if you've got a good chip then you can O your 7850 to around stock 7950 levels.

GMM

Banned
If you have the F12's in the front, you can go ahead and leave the full drive cage in there and use it.

Fans, in addition to CFM (airflow) and dB, are rated by static pressure (mm/H2O). This is essentially a measurement of how well the fans work when obstructed by something. The stock fractal fans have an abysmal static pressure rating. Removing the middle HDD cage allows it to breathe a bit more and put some good air through.

The F12s have really good static pressure, and as such, won't be overly affected by the front HDD cages. The standard F12s are what you want, because you'll be able to control them with the built in fan controller.

Great, keeping the full HDD bay does save me quite some money on mounting adapters.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So the Samsung 840 120GB is $95
Do you think it would be a noticeable upgrade going to the 128GB 840 Pro or the 250GB 840?
According to Anandtech, the write speeds are about half of the 250GB and the cache is half as well. I'm not really sure what that translates to in real life situations though.
Also, I don't really plan to do much constant writing to it or anything like that, so I don't think the shorter lifespan of it would be much of an issue for me.

Thanks in advance!

How is 28-30 FPS and "playable" the same thing? :p

lol :(

This is my first PC in like 7 years or something crazy. Right now i am amazed i can run tomb raider at the setting i am and its still so much smoother than PS3. If i dropped down to 1080p I average over 43fps(60fps w/o tressfx but eff that) but i fell in love with 1440p :(

I see a quick GPU upgrade in my future :/

kennah

Options are:

Q6600
P4 2.4
Amd 4200 (Grandma's)
POS C2D in my work machine (wouldn't that be hilarious for IT to randomly find one day)

Or in the interest of blasphemy I could try to force it to fit on your 670

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
About to go crazy, hate building PC's, especially if there's 100 opinions coming my way.

Here's what I've gathered, sorry for continuously changing it, I'm sure I'm annoying half of you.
L4GUF5W.jpg

Went back to the black WD 2TB hard drive, since it'll probably be easier than 2 separate blue WD hard drives.

Also changed the cpu cooler to a enermax liquid cooler.

That's about it, but people are telling me to go for the Radeon 7970 graphics card, then if I get another one in the future, I can ''crossfire'' them, making it better than the graphics card listed above. But if I went with the nVidia GTX 680 Twin Frozr, which types of graphics cards can I ''SLI'' with it? Any nVidia graphics card?

I was also told to change to the.. ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard from the above motherboard, not sure what the difference is though other than it being a little cheaper.

Thanks, and I'll be out of t his thread soon!
You are changing shit again for no reason other than you are listening to what some other person says. I already gave you what feedback you needed.
Seasonic G-650 80Plus Gold 650W or X660 or X750 for PSU. At least something modular.
3770K doesn't do much for gaming now, but honestly I can't see someone spend 2 grand and not get the i7, especially buying a liquid cooler.
DG or DGX for sound card to save some $ unless you know you need something the D1 has.
ASUS GTX680 if it's in stock (MSI one isn't)
Just bought all this a couple of hours ago at a decent price for a friend's new build.

Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked 4-Core 3rd Gen Processor
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3 RAM CML8GX3M2A1600C9
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB Video Card
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 3.5" 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Samsung SH-224BB/BEBS 24x Internal SATA DVD OEM Burner Drive
ASUS PCE-N15 WLAN PCI-Express N300 Wireless Adapter
Corsair 200R Carbide Case
Antec 620W High Current Gamer Power Supply (HCG-620)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional DVD SP1 64-Bit OEM

ASUS VS248H 24" 2ms HDMI FHD LED Backlight Monitor
Logitech G100 Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo

This will let me get some practice in before finally replacing my ageing 5 year old rig, hopefully in the next couple of months. This thread has been an invaluable source of information and help. Subbed. Thanks duders.

Feel free to rate and berate.
I'd get a Xornet/Spawn mouse and some keyboard combo instead.
Prefer the BP550 (modular) to the Antec HCG's

Need one last piece of advice: Which motherboard?

http://microcenter.com/product/387627/Z77_Pro3_1155_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

or

http://microcenter.com/product/393422/P8Z77-V_LK_LGA_1155_Z77_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

Obviously Id prefer the cheaper one, but if the asus is a lot better, I wouldnt mind paying the extra cash.
ASrock Pro3 will do you fine. ASUS quality on their lower end (aka under $180) isn't as good compared to what other brands are offering imo.
Pro 4, V-LK and Extreme 4 would be the minimum I'd recommend if you get a K processor. The Pro 3 doesn't quite cut it.
I mean the 4 is better, but it's still a fine Z77 board you can OC on. Given how the low power draw and small voltage boost I don't think it's THAT big a deal.
*Reading further it seems some have odd OC issues. I guess go for the Pro 4 or LK.

FireRises

hey GAF,

I searched this thread for relevant information and advice on Haswell and it seems the consensus is:

- we don't know how well it will overclock
- assumed to be a 10% increase in speed overall
- might be more beneficial to laptops due to the reduced power consumption

My current PC is this:
Intel Q9550 @ 3.8GHz
4GB of DDR2 800
Gigabyte MB
nVidia MSI 660Ti PE 2GB
Vertex4 SSD

This machine handles everything well at 1080p now that I recently upgraded the card but I'm sure it's being bottlenecked by the slow ram and processor.

Would you wait for Haswell if you had my machine? If you were to recommend a current gen cpu, what would it be? I don't really plan to overclock so I guess that's something to consider as well. The main purpose is gaming followed by photo/video editing.

Thanks!

mkenyon

Banned
It's tough to say for sure because of how much we don't know. Gut instinct says it's not going to be huge unless you are the person who likes to push their parts to the limit.

What's your budget and how important is video/photo editing? I ask as SB-E is still a great option for people who do a lot of that, and will give you a socket you can upgrade the CPU later on to some octo-core IB-E.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I pretty much understand everything when it comes to the components of my PC. But theres one part I just have no clue about.

the Motherboard.

I sort of understand what it does, but I don't know what the difference is between certain motherboards, what benefits you get from having one that's better than the other, or pretty much anything else.

I just got my motherboard because it was recommended and I knew it worked with my CPU.

Can anyone help me understand what exactly a motherboard does, what the benefits of a "better" one are, and how I know which I should get?

FireRises

It's tough to say for sure because of how much we don't know. Gut instinct says it's not going to be huge unless you are the person who likes to push their parts to the limit.

What's your budget and how important is video/photo editing? I ask as SB-E is still a great option for people who do a lot of that, and will give you a socket you can upgrade the CPU later on to some octo-core IB-E.

Photo editing is something I do on the regular, but video editing not so much but I do know I'll be doing more of it down the road, within the next year or so.

My budget is whatever it takes to get quality stuff that will last me at least 3 years or so. I have a microcenter near me so I can get the i7-3770k for $289 or the i5 3570K for $189. I guess at that point I would just need some ram and a new motherboard...the rest of my stuff should transfer over nicely.

Or I could wait for Haswell :-| lol

mkenyon

Banned
I pretty much understand everything when it comes to the components of my PC. But theres one part I just have no clue about.

the Motherboard.

I sort of understand what it does, but I don't know what the difference is between certain motherboards, what benefits you get from having one that's better than the other, or pretty much anything else.

I just got my motherboard because it was recommended and I knew it worked with my CPU.

Can anyone help me understand what exactly a motherboard does, what the benefits of a "better" one are, and how I know which I should get?
They're insanely complex. I only have a really really beginner's idea of everything going on. Though he pretty much focuses on Gigabyte boards, check out Sinhardware.com. He goes into insane detail. This guy can tell you what each tiny chip on the motherboard does.

To give you a rough beginning idea though there's a couple things you want to look at with current motherboards.

1) Voltage Regulator - The quality of this device and how well it is cooled can drastically alter OC results.

2) Power delivery (i.e. "8 Phase PWM!") - Tied with voltage regulation, will determine how clean the power delivery is to the CPU.

3) Component quality - If the capacitors are crap, then the motherboard will blow up. If it is 3 layers of thin PCB, you might have interference/feedback with the onboard sound. That sort of thing.

4) Chips to multiply PCI-E Lanes - Socket 1155 chips only have 16 PCI-E lanes so they rely on chips to multiply these in order to allow things like x16/x16 Crossfire/SLI

5) Add ons - Things like the onboard soundcard, what kind of NIC you are getting, extra SATA ports, extra USB 3.0 ports, etc etc etc
Well mkenyon, you should be pleased with me!
Just ordered the Asus 144hz from B&H for a final price of $264.99!
It is backordered though, although it says it's expected March 7th. But I don't need it for another couple weeks anyways.

Here's the link in case you or anyone else is interested: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=orderHistory&A=details&Q=&sku=917361&is=REG

Seems like quite a good deal!
F yeah.

Koroviev

Photo editing is something I do on the regular, but video editing not so much but I do know I'll be doing more of it down the road, within the next year or so.

My budget is whatever it takes to get quality stuff that will last me at least 3 years or so. I have a microcenter near me so I can get the i7-3770k for $289 or the i5 3570K for $189. I guess at that point I would just need some ram and a new motherboard...the rest of my stuff should transfer over nicely.

Or I could wait for Haswell :-| lol

I would pursue that i7 from Micro Center.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh man. My monitor is "On order"
Guess it wasn't backordered after all?

Also, what's the mouse to get for palm grip in the $40-$50 range?

scogoth

They're insanely complex. I only have a really really beginner's idea of everything going on. Though he pretty much focuses on Gigabyte boards, check out Sinhardware.com. He goes into insane detail. This guy can tell you what each tiny chip on the motherboard does.

You weren't kidding. Click reviews > sub categories, only GIGABYTE

But yeah for 90% of computer builders, motherboard features are all that matters.
For 9.9% BIOS layout and 'overclocking' ability
0.1% Being able to pump 1000W of power with a +-0.1mV tolerance. I was surprised I can actually change the frequency and phase variance of power delivery on the M5E

EDIT: For people looking to learn a little bit more in depth about how computers work check out this book http://www.amazon.com/dp/0789747103/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Covers a lot of the basics that most people will know here but also covers some more advanced stuff like PLL, VRMs, etc. Great intro book

Smokey

lol :(

This is my first PC in like 7 years or something crazy. Right now i am amazed i can run tomb raider at the setting i am and its still so much smoother than PS3. If i dropped down to 1080p I average over 43fps(60fps w/o tressfx but eff that) but i fell in love with 1440p :(

I see a quick GPU upgrade in my future :/

mmmmmmhmm

first you get the PC
now you have experienced the great valley beyond 1080p
then you'll get a new graphics card
then you'll get a ssd

asdad123

Pro 4, V-LK and Extreme 4 would be the minimum I'd recommend if you get a K processor. The Pro 3 doesn't quite cut it.

Okay thanks. I tried going to Microcenter today since I read the P8Z77V Pro was on clearance for $105, but my microcenter was sold out =/

Guessing Im gonna go with the LK Model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom