• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So I'm going to AMD from Nvidia today. So just uninstall Nvidia drivers, install new GPU and then install AMD drivers?

Number45

As I can't find a general freebies thread, and it seems to fit in with this thread, here's a code for £10 off of a £69+ purchase from the Razer Store.

(quote to see)

Details:

This entitles you to a £10 discount off your order at the RazerStore with a minimum purchase of £69.

Instructions on how to activate your discount code:

• Click here to visit the RazerStore
  • Add your desired Razer product(s) into your cart.
  • Enter the discount code into the Promo Code box prior to checkout to enjoy your discount.

Need assistance? Contact us at ordersupport@razerzone.com.

Terms and Conditions:
  • Your activation or use of the discount code constitutes acceptance of these terms & conditions.
  • The discount code is only applicable for purchases made at the RazerStore, limited to 1 discount code per customer and cannot be combined with any other offers.
  • The discount code is only applicable for purchases that meet a minimum order value of £69, which excludes shipping charges, custom fees and taxes.
  • The discount code is applicable for all Razer products except the Extended Warranty for the Razer Blade or the Razer Edge.
  • Redemption of the discount code is only valid till May 31, 2013.
  • The discount code has no cash value, is non-transferable and cannot be sold or exchanged.
  • All promotions are applicable while stocks last. Razer reserves the right to withdraw, terminate or amend the terms of promotion at any time.
  • Razer has sole discretion to interpret these terms and its decision shall be final in all cases.
  • Promotion void where prohibited by law.

I assume it'll work anyway.

FireRises

I would pursue that i7 from Micro Center.

Yeah I think I might.

$229 + $135 for ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 + $55 G SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1600

total: $419

When Haswell comes out, it'll definitely be faster but I probably won't be able to buy a combo like that for anywhere near that price.

Koroviev

Yeah I think I might.

$229 + $135 for ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 + $55 G SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1600

When Haswell comes out, it'll definitely be faster but I probably won't be able to buy a combo like that for anywhere near that price.

No, and Haswell is expected to be an efficiency-minded update.

Koroviev

Gaf! So I am still very happy with my gaming PC, it's not amazing but it can handle most games on full whack. However I was thinking of picking up a SSD, firstly would it be sensible to run a SSD along with my HDD? How easy would it be to make the SSD my main drive and switch everything I want over to it?

I am looking at: Samsung 250GB 840 Series SSD which is £127.

You should do a fresh install. And it makes sense to have an ssd for the OS and programs and an hdd for data. However, I would pursue the M4 if you're on a budget. The standard 840 250gb is not terrible, but it won't last as long as a drive that uses MLC nand and it has poor write speeds.

Wait what? The PSU to be changed is fine, what I was referring to when I said ''Hmm, I'm tempted but everyone says it won't do much for gaming, and this PC will mainly be for gaming.. :S'' was in regards to the CPU, changing from the i5 to i7, I ment a lot of people said it's not worth the extra $100 when it comes to gaming.

Alright now this makes sense.

And yea it might not be worth it but we'll see if that changes when newer games come out for this new gen.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Ok, kind of an emergency and I'm having troubles reaching my PC expert buddy, so I need your guys' help with a build.

Long story short, my old iMac died a few months ago, and a potential employer wants me to start doing freelance graphics work for them to consider full-time employment. Here are my requirements...

• I have a budget of $1,100
  • It will be my first built PC, so no parts to reuse, I need all components.
  • This will be primarily used for 2D graphics, but will need to be powerful enough to do any bigger projects like multimedia if needed.
  • Monitor has be to very good as far as resolution and color/contrast.
  • This will also be my personal desktop PC as well, so I would like for it to play games, but this is strictly secondary. BUT I do want it to be easily upgraded down the line once I have income.

So yeah, I need to order this in the next day or two because I do not have a job and the clock is ticking for this opportunity. I really appreciate any help you guys can give.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Ok, kind of an emergency and I'm having troubles reaching my PC expert buddy, so I need your guys' help with a build.

Long story short, my old iMac died a few months ago, and a potential employer wants me to start doing freelance graphics work for them to consider full-time employment. Here are my requirements...

• This will be primarily used for 2D graphics, but will need to be powerful enough to do any bigger projects like multimedia if needed.
  • This will also be my personal desktop PC as well, so I would like for it to play games, but this is strictly secondary. BUT I do want it to be easily upgraded down the line once I have income.

So yeah, I need to order this in the next day or two because I do not have a job and the clock is ticking for this opportunity. I really appreciate any help you guys can give.

I don't have any specific advice for you (I'll leave that for the more knowledgeable folks in this thread), but I do know that building a decent media editing PC AND buying a nice monitor for $1,100 is going to be very tricky or impossible.

Just to clarify though, by "very good as far as resolution" do you mean 1440p or is 1080p all you're looking for? If you answer 1440p, you're going to have to rethink your budget. Also, you'll want to get an IPS monitor for good colors/contrast.

kharma45

Any particular reason why? I assume the Double D model I listed is poorer performing in some way? I can get the Asus model (Asus HD7950 DC2 3GB) for around £235ish. I'll have to see if I can source the Gigabyte variant to see what the price difference is.

ASUS is pretty good apart from being a triple slot so it would make it tight for space if you wanted to Crossfire, bar that the DCU II cooler is very good.

The reason I suggested Gigabyte was because their RMA is so good in the UK if something was to go wrong

2graphicscardwarrantyso.png

Ryaaan14

Banned
I don't have any specific advice for you (I'll leave that for the more knowledgeable folks in this thread), but I do know that building a decent media editing PC AND buying a nice monitor for $1,100 is going to be very tricky or impossible.

Just to clarify though, by "very good as far as resolution" do you mean 1440p or is 1080p all you're looking for? If you answer 1440p, you're going to have to rethink your budget. Also, you'll want to get an IPS monitor for good colors/contrast.

I could probably get by with 1080p.

alphaNoid

Banned
Looking for some general opinion GAF. Been a PC gamer now for about 25 years. Built all of my machines along the way, so this isn't new territory for me. What I'm looking to do is potentially upgrade, and was curious on timing and opinions on my parts.

Unlike the rest of my previous years as a PC gamer, I have not been connected to that industry the enthusiast hardware at all, for many ... many years. My last build was about 4 years ago with a new card thrown in a bit back. Its time for an upgrade, and I spent about a day researching the parts and price point I am comfortable with. I think I have my final parts list, but was looking for some general insight from others.

Resolution
1920x1200

Current rig
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.0Ghz
Gigabyte EP43-UD3LR
4Gb OCZ Reaper DDR2 800
AMD 5850 @ 900/1200
OCZ Vertex 2 128Gb SSD
+misc storage disc

Things to note : I'm pretty sure that despite the aging GPU, my bottleneck is actually most recently my processor. The Q6600 has been good to me, very good but its starting to show its age. Most newer games are running in the medium range, a few high ticks and I'm usually in the 30-50 FPS range depending on the game. Its not uncommon to drop into the 20s or even some games (like Planetside 2) to have most settings on Low.

Based on observation and some benchmarking I figured its time for a new GPU and CPU. CPU would be newer socket so I need a new motherboard, and my RAM is old too. PSU is a must as well, my old one is a 400w.

Thus, I came up with the following parts list. Please note, I am not looking for top tier enthusiast price/power. I never buy that high, usually 1 tier down and buy hardware that can be overclocked to add longevity. I will overclock at some point.

Potential Upgrade
Intel i5 3750k
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
Corsair Vengence 8GB (2x4Gb) DDR3 1600
Corsair Enthusiast TX750 Bronze PSU
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost 3Gb
=
$854

All prices taken from Amazon yesterday. Didn't shop much outside of using Invisible Hand Chrome extension to scrap web prices for me.

1. Do the parts look good? Anything you would do differently?
2. The 7950 is good now right? With the latest drivers?
3. Any vendor preferred over Sapphire? Also in the past I've bought GPU from companies that offer lifetime warranties, does Sapphire?

You should do a fresh install. And it makes sense to have an ssd for the OS and programs and an hdd for data. However, I would pursue the M4 if you're on a budget. The standard 840 250gb is not terrible, but it won't last as long as a drive that uses MLC nand and it has poor write speeds.

Excellent, so the Crucial M4? I'm not really on a budget but 256gb is plenty for me. I mainly have around 150gbs of games maybe a little more and then the only other thing I use is Microsoft Office.

Rest of HD is filled up with films, tv shows and music!

Would it be best to get the normal M4 or the slim? Normal seems to be £140 range, slim £160 range...

Is the OCZ Vector range any improvement on the M4? That's£180 for 256gb.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My coworker is looking to get his son a gaming tower. Normally, I'd be all over helping him, but it's been ~3 years since I've done much research and building "stuff" for my computer. He wants to be able to game on it, but is only looking to spend around $500. I told him used graphics cards are the way to go in that case, and I know some GAF folk have some for sale (BST thread seems to have them popping up all the time).

In terms of the rest of the components though, I am far too clueless at the moment to give him a strong machine for cheap. How strong does the budget machine perform in the OP? Are there better options (besides waiting for Haswell)?

kennah

I wish I could afford to buy the base build in the OP and then benchmark the shit out of it just so we have hard numbers to show people.

Shambles

My coworker is looking to get his son a gaming tower. Normally, I'd be all over helping him, but it's been ~3 years since I've done much research and building "stuff" for my computer. He wants to be able to game on it, but is only looking to spend around $500. I told him used graphics cards are the way to go in that case, and I know some GAF folk have some for sale (BST thread seems to have them popping up all the time).

In terms of the rest of the components though, I am far too clueless at the moment to give him a strong machine for cheap. How strong does the budget machine perform in the OP? Are there better options (besides waiting for Haswell)?

Personally I'd take the Standard build and drop the optical drive altogether rather than the budget build. If you can find an old case and PSU that he can use it will give him a lot more breathing room. You could also drop the memory from 8GB to 4GB if you want to cut back a bit. He can always get a 2nd 4GB dimm down the road. Those low end builds will be competent but the son might be wanting to throw some of his own money in to get something a little more powerful.

kharma45

Looking for some general opinion GAF. Been a PC gamer now for about 25 years. Built all of my machines along the way, so this isn't new territory for me. What I'm looking to do is potentially upgrade, and was curious on timing and opinions on my parts.

Unlike the rest of my previous years as a PC gamer, I have not been connected to that industry the enthusiast hardware at all, for many ... many years. My last build was about 4 years ago with a new card thrown in a bit back. Its time for an upgrade, and I spent about a day researching the parts and price point I am comfortable with. I think I have my final parts list, but was looking for some general insight from others.

Resolution
1920x1200

Current rig
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.0Ghz
Gigabyte EP43-UD3LR
4Gb OCZ Reaper DDR2 800
AMD 5850 @ 900/1200
OCZ Vertex 2 128Gb SSD
+misc storage disc

Things to note : I'm pretty sure that despite the aging GPU, my bottleneck is actually most recently my processor. The Q6600 has been good to me, very good but its starting to show its age. Most newer games are running in the medium range, a few high ticks and I'm usually in the 30-50 FPS range depending on the game. Its not uncommon to drop into the 20s or even some games (like Planetside 2) to have most settings on Low.

Based on observation and some benchmarking I figured its time for a new GPU and CPU. CPU would be newer socket so I need a new motherboard, and my RAM is old too. PSU is a must as well, my old one is a 400w.

Thus, I came up with the following parts list. Please note, I am not looking for top tier enthusiast price/power. I never buy that high, usually 1 tier down and buy hardware that can be overclocked to add longevity. I will overclock at some point.

Potential Upgrade
Intel i5 3750k
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
Corsair Vengence 8GB (2x4Gb) DDR3 1600
Corsair Enthusiast TX750 Bronze PSU
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost 3Gb
=
$854

All prices taken from Amazon yesterday. Didn't shop much outside of using Invisible Hand Chrome extension to scrap web prices for me.

1. Do the parts look good? Anything you would do differently?
2. The 7950 is good now right? With the latest drivers?
3. Any vendor preferred over Sapphire? Also in the past I've bought GPU from companies that offer lifetime warranties, does Sapphire?

If you're not going Crossfire change the PSU to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

7950 is a great card and drivers are solid. As for the preferred vendor, Sapphire does have good coolers as does ASUS and Gigabyte.

Excellent, so the Crucial M4? I'm not really on a budget but 256gb is plenty for me. I mainly have around 150gbs of games maybe a little more and then the only other thing I use is Microsoft Office.

Rest of HD is filled up with films, tv shows and music!

Would it be best to get the normal M4 or the slim? Normal seems to be £140 range, slim £160 range...

Is the OCZ Vector range any improvement on the M4? That's£180 for 256gb.

256GB Samsung 840 Pro for £170 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009LI7CTY/

I wish I could afford to buy the base build in the OP and then benchmark the shit out of it just so we have hard numbers to show people.

Get Evilore to donate some funds to us ;)

I'm actually in a very similar boat as you are (going from old iMac to PC), with a need for Photo/Creative Suite/Premiere capabilities 1st and gaming as a nice to have. I can tell you that unless you are willing to build yourself, that $1100 budget is going to come with some compromises.

My must haves for Creative Suite:
+RAM and lots of it (8GB is a minimum for working great, but 16GB is probably worth it for you) RAM and Photoshop
+Fast CPU (Clock speed matters a lot for Photoshop, an i5-3470/3570k will work great, not as great as an i7, but it will keep your budget down)
+CUDA GPU for Photoshop/Premiere (At least 1GB, compared here, basically 1GB+ and CUDA is going to give you a huge improvement over nothing, but the differences between say a 650 and a 680 aren't as big as nothing to a 650)
+SSD for OS, 7200RPM HDD for data)
+Z77 Mobo (This lets you upgrade to a 3770k down the line if you go cheaper on your CPU today)

I'm currently using this monitor, Dell S2340M, and I've been really happy with the quality of the panel compared to the price I paid for it (purely focused on colors, not gaming).

mkenyon

Banned
Alright, so this is what I've put together for the 50th time. I don't really want any changes that will reduce the price, since money isn't an issue, but I don't want to go over $2500.
Way over my original budget of $2000, lol. Do I need the blu-ray writer, I probably won't even play blu-ray, I haven't needed to use blu-ray once on this current PC. Anyone know a cheaper yet good disc tray thingo?
You confuse me.

alphaNoid

Banned
If you're not going Crossfire change the PSU to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

7950 is a great card and drivers are solid. As for the preferred vendor, Sapphire does have good coolers as does ASUS and Gigabyte.

Thanks, so is 550w PSU enough for a system like that? I suppose with Ivy Bridge and the 7950 both being 22nm (right?) power consumption is likely very low. Is that why there is no need for a 750w?

kennah

Thanks, so is 550w PSU enough for a system like that? I suppose with Ivy Bridge and the 7950 both being 22nm (right?) power consumption is likely very low. Is that why there is no need for a 750w?

Yep. I'm running a Q6600, 4gig 670 and 5 hard drives on a 520W.

I would get a replacement cooler for that no matter what, that fucker of a heatsink has a chance of falling off!

The only way the heatsink is connect to the card is via a thin shim that is screwed to the PCB and then is attached to the rest of the heatsink via what looks like thermal paste!

Well he's been using that card since 2011, when he bought it brand new. After two years of service, when I looked at it the heat sync still looked really stable and didn't appear to be showing any stress or was ready to fall off. But the noisy fans are the problem here. But if he were to get a new replacement cooler, what would be a recommended model for a card this size? What would people suggest?

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'm actually in a very similar boat as you are (going from old iMac to PC), with a need for Photo/Creative Suite/Premiere capabilities 1st and gaming as a nice to have. I can tell you that unless you are willing to build yourself, that $1100 budget is going to come with some compromises.

My must haves for Creative Suite:
+RAM and lots of it (8GB is a minimum for working great, but 16GB is probably worth it for you) RAM and Photoshop
+Fast CPU (Clock speed matters a lot for Photoshop, an i5-3470/3570k will work great, not as great as an i7, but it will keep your budget down)
+CUDA GPU for Photoshop/Premiere (At least 1GB, compared here, basically 1GB+ and CUDA is going to give you a huge improvement over nothing, but the differences between say a 650 and a 680 aren't as big as nothing to a 650)
+SSD for OS, 7200RPM HDD for data)
+Z77 Mobo (This lets you upgrade to a 3770k down the line if you go cheaper on your CPU today)

I'm currently using this monitor, Dell S2340M, and I've been really happy with the quality of the panel compared to the price I paid for it (purely focused on colors, not gaming).

This is pretty helpful and gives me a place to start. Thank you.

Mogwai

Hey my Hyper 212 arrived today!

*goes back to pricing out water cooling*

Good luck with it. I just installed the exact same yesterday. I re-installed it today though. Apparently I was putting too much paste, so the temps weren't too good. But works great now :)

Danj

I've been posting in the Laptop thread mostly, as my current gaming PC is actually a laptop and has served me faithfully for the last 3 years (I bought it at the beginning of 2010 and it was brand new technology then). I need something portable as I need to be able to take it with me for example when visiting my parents' house. However it's been suggested to me that it might also be possible to accomplish that with a small form factor PC. I looked at the SFF PC post in this thread but it all seemed to be squat cube-shaped cases which would be difficult for me to transport (I need something I can fit in a suitcase as I travel by train usually). I'd be more interested in something like this:

(taken from this article).

I've no need for anything as powerful as a Titan, but it seems like it might be a requirement for this sort of case due to being able to do 100% of its exhaust out the rear? Personally I'd prefer to use an AMD card, does anyone know if that would be compatible with this kind of form factor?

Current Specs: Acer Aspire 8942G, 18.3" full HD LED backlit screen, i7-720QM, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Mobility Radeon 5850 (1GB dedicated + 3GB shared), 750GB Seagate Momentus XT (now called Laptop SSHD)
Budget: around £1400, needs to be something that's available in the UK
Main Use: 2 (Gaming and general usage).
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080. Knocking down the resolution on a game is definitely noticeable even on a screen this size.
Specific games which need to run well: The new Tomb Raider - it's the first thing my current gaming laptop has struggled with, I want to be able to play it at 1080p with dat hair turned on and settings at least High with a smooth 30fps at least. Also it should probably play Crysis 3 too as I imagine I'll get that eventually.
When will you build: probably a few months down the line, it will take me that long to save up the money anyway. Is it likely to be worth waiting for Haswell? I'm not going to be using the onboard GPU, should I care about the other new tech in Haswell?
Will you be overclocking: No, I want something that Just Works(tm).

While I understand this thread is mostly all about building a PC yourself, for something like this I'd really like to get a pre-built machine as I honestly don't have the skills or the time to do all the fiddly jobs inside an SFF case of that small size like positioning fans or routing cables or heatpipes or god knows what else, I'd much rather pay the extra for someone else to do that for me.

Probably going to order my video card and optical drive on Newegg today after I deposit money.

For the optical drive I'll just be getting the one listed in the Enthusiast build in the OP, and for the video card I'll be getting the Gigabyte 3GB AMD HD 7950. Both of those came out to around 350$-ish when I checked yesterday.

After that, all I need is the CPU and I'll be ready to put everything together!

mkenyon

Banned
I've been posting in the Laptop thread mostly, as my current gaming PC is actually a laptop and has served me faithfully for the last 3 years (I bought it at the beginning of 2010 and it was brand new technology then). I need something portable as I need to be able to take it with me for example when visiting my parents' house. However it's been suggested to me that it might also be possible to accomplish that with a small form factor PC. I looked at the SFF PC post in this thread but it all seemed to be squat cube-shaped cases which would be difficult for me to transport (I need something I can fit in a suitcase as I travel by train usually). I'd be more interested in something like this:
Get an Alienware X51.

kennah

I've no need for anything as powerful as a Titan, but it seems like it might be a requirement for this sort of case due to being able to do 100% of its exhaust out the rear? Personally I'd prefer to use an AMD card, does anyone know if that would be compatible with this kind of form factor?

Another GAFfer just ordered a Tiki, wait a couple weeks and get impressions from him ;)

mkenyon

Banned
Tiki is crazy overpriced. Alienware X51 is a much much better value.

Keep in mind the Tiki also weighs a TON because of the base.

mr2xxx

Banned
I notice the best GPU you can get in an Alienware X51 is a Geforce 660; I need this machine to be able to last at least another 3 years, will a mid-range card like that cut the mustard?

Yeah but the card is full size and is user replaceable. So when the next gen 20 nm GPUs hit you should have no problem getting a similar TDP card but with much more power. The other option is the Tiki and you can put a Titan in it but it is much bigger than the x51 and much more costlier.

LordAlu

ASUS is pretty good apart from being a triple slot so it would make it tight for space if you wanted to Crossfire, bar that the DCU II cooler is very good.

The reason I suggested Gigabyte was because their RMA is so good in the UK if something was to go wrong

2graphicscardwarrantyso.png
Thanks for the advice! :)

mkenyon

Banned
Also keep in mind the 660 in the Alienware X51 is not the same as the desktop one. It's closer to the 660Ti in performance.

Stubo

So does anyone know if Nvidia are allowing manufacturers to put out custom cooler (and voltage) Titans in the future?

I think if I'm going to allow myself to take the plunge on such an expensive GPU I'd really like it to have a Gigabyte cooler strapped on to it for crazy sound levels and temps!

fader

ok problem... so I was playing Tomb Raider and the game froze at a part. So i turned off my computer, waited a while, came back and turned it on but nothing comes up on the screen.
Could that be the motherboard?

ss_lemonade

Yeah I think I might.

Fyi, microcenter slashes $40 off certain motherboards when purchased together with the 3570k, if ever you want to pursue the i5 instead. In this case, the extreme4 becomes 94.99

I notice the best GPU you can get in an Alienware X51 is a Geforce 660; I need this machine to be able to last at least another 3 years, will a mid-range card like that cut the mustard?

I definitely recommend the X51 from the time I've had with my friend's one.

You can easily replace the graphics card inside the X51; a GTX 670 fits in well, as might a 7950. Go to this thread for more info and advice from X51 owners.

sarcastor

OMG i need to upgrade my three year old setup but Im soooo lost with all the new components. I just need a fast machine for Photoshop and occasional gaming. Is there anyway I can bring down the price on this? I already have a 700w PSU and an Intel 80gb 320 SSD. Not sure yet on what video card to get.

iavi

Got a 'boot device not found error' this morning. Unplugging my boot ssd and plugging it back in did the trick, but I don't like this.

kharma45

OMG i need to upgrade my three year old setup but Im soooo lost with all the new components. I just need a fast machine for Photoshop and occasional gaming. Is there anyway I can bring down the price on this? I already have a 700w PSU and an Intel 80gb 320 SSD. Not sure yet on what video card to get.

Na there's not much you can do, the only thing I was going to suggest was maybe look at lower profile RAM but that'll up the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom