• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
OMG i need to upgrade my three year old setup but Im soooo lost with all the new components. I just need a fast machine for Photoshop and occasional gaming. Is there anyway I can bring down the price on this? I already have a 700w PSU and an Intel 80gb 320 SSD. Not sure yet on what video card to get.

If you are looking at the Pro 3, you might as well drop down to a standard 3570. The Pro 3 doesn't really overclock.

mkenyon

Banned
Are you watching your CPU in CPU-Z as you run stress tests?

Apparently it consistently downclocks during load. Lots of reports of this happening even with insane coolers.

Jafku

Ok I've got a question for you guys. I recently built my first gaming PC and would like opinion on my build. With this build the only future upgrades I need would be a different video card and maybe an ssd right?

Core i5-3470 slight OC to 3.8 ghz
Asrock Z75 Pro 3 motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600
1.5TB WD Green HDD
Antec BP550 550 Watt PSU
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 1GB
NZXT Source 220

kharma45

Apparently it consistently downclocks during load. Lots of reports of this happening even with insane coolers.

I am yeah and I've not had that problem. I'll try again now just to double check.

Ledsen

I uninstalled my graphic driver to install a new one

As soon as i pressed uninstall the screen went black

my computer boots to a black screen, monitor doesn't even turn on but windows is working fine, I just cant see anything

Safe mode doesn't help since screen is still black

I thought all gpus had a backup low res driver?

WTF

This is on a Gtx560ti, 2500k

I have vga and hdmi ports coming from my mobo, but no such cables right now (only dvi)

Do you think it will work if I get a vga cable tomorrow and plug in directly to the mobo? I've never enabled the onboard 2500k graphics

If not...

WTF do i do?

Levyne

Banned
Hi guys. I am slowly getting into putting a gaming PC together and wanted some advice on the stuff I need before actually worrying about the tower innards..

Basically, I need a keyboard/mouse, monitor, and speakers.

Keyboard and mouse should be simple enough, but if I want a GAF-approved monitor (I'm thinking 1900x1200?), what should I be looking at?

Also are there any speaker/sound recommendations? Seems like a lot use headsets but I'd rather just have tabletop speakers. Any recommendations?

My budget isn't tight, but I'm not looking to empty my bank account either..hopefully this post isn't too generic..

Ryaaan14

Banned
Here's my follow up from my original post earlier. This was as close as I could get to my budget.

Does everything look okay? Will go ahead and pull the trigger if so.

eJts1oS.png

Thanks again for any help.

scogoth

Here's my follow up from my url="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49182024&postcount=6441"]original post[/url] earlier. This was as close as I could get to my budget.

Why a 580? Should get a 670 instead

GMM

Banned

my computer boots to a black screen, monitor doesn't even turn on but windows is working fine, I just cant see anything

WTF

I have vga and hdmi ports coming from my mobo, but no such cables right now (only dvi)

Do you think it will work if I get a vga cable tomorrow and plug in directly to the mobo? I've never enabled the onboard 2500k graphics

If not...

WTF do i do?

Try booting in low res (640x480) by pressing F8 before windows boots. Otherwise it sounds like you might be trapped with some improper driver installation.

Here's my follow up from my original post earlier. This was as close as I could get to my budget.

You definitely shouldn't get a GTX 580 at that price. I'd recommend this 7950 instead: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098HW1HG/?tag=neogaf0e-20
The 7950 will be significantly faster, has twice as much VRAM, is much cheaper after rebate ($270), and includes 2 full price games (Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 3). It seems to be an excellent deal at this price.

Ledsen

Try booting in low res (640x480) by pressing F8 before windows boots. Otherwise it sounds like you might be trapped with some improper driver installation.
Like i wrote, safe mode doesn't Work.

WAT safe mode worked suddenly

YESSSSSSS

While I understand this thread is mostly all about building a PC yourself, for something like this I'd really like to get a pre-built machine as I honestly don't have the skills or the time to do all the fiddly jobs inside an SFF case of that small size like positioning fans or routing cables or heatpipes or god knows what else, I'd much rather pay the extra for someone else to do that for me.

All it really is is just connecting things together. Plug this here, plug that there. It's much simpler than you would think.

mkenyon

Banned

WTF

If not...

WTF do i do?
Yeah, that's what you'll need to do next. Should be just fine.
Hi guys. I am slowly getting into putting a gaming PC together and wanted some advice on the stuff I need before actually worrying about the tower innards..

Basically, I need a keyboard/mouse, monitor, and speakers.

Keyboard and mouse should be simple enough, but if I want a GAF-approved monitor (I'm thinking 1900x1200?), what should I be looking at?

Also are there any speaker/sound recommendations? Seems like a lot use headsets but I'd rather just have tabletop speakers. Any recommendations?

My budget isn't tight, but I'm not looking to empty my bank account either..hopefully this post isn't too generic..
Check out the OP. Rec's on speakers are a bit hard to find, but based on your budget it would either be

A) Real speakers + receiver
B) Dig on the PC specifc speaker setups. I've heard good things about these.
BitfenixThoughts.png

What do you WC guys think of this?
More rad space. 140mm rads pretty much suck because 140mm fans pretty much suck.

The aquatube takes up a lot more space than that too. You are going to be insanely tight getting the fittings proper.

kharma45

As has been said, change the 580. 7950 would be what I go for, or if you want Nvidia get a 670.

Change your PSU too, something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

Maybe think about a different case too like the 200R http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139018&Tpk=corsair 200r

Go for low profile RAM too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

Ran prime there for 10 mins just to see, no issues.

Tweaktown got their 3770K to 4.6 in their review http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4853/asrock_z75_pro3_intel_z75_motherboard_review/index4.html

Levyne

Banned
Check out the OP. Rec's on speakers are a bit hard to find, but based on your budget it would either be

A) Real speakers + receiver
B) Dig on the PC specifc speaker setups. I've heard good things about these.

Whoa. Those speakers are huge....might have to go smaller than that..

Ok. I see the monitors in the op, will give me a place to start.

mkenyon

Banned
All it really is is just connecting things together. Plug this here, plug that there. It's much simpler than you would think.
What makes his build more complicated is the type of form factor he wants. It would take some serious planning and intelligent use of space to get that working in a DIY build.
Ran prime there for 10 mins just to see, no issues.

Tweaktown got their 3770K to 4.6 in their review http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4853/asrock_z75_pro3_intel_z75_motherboard_review/index4.html
Well that's good!

The number of issues I've read makes me a bit uneasy in giving it a thumbs up though.

Ledsen

Yeah, that's what you'll need to do next. Should be just fine.
Thanks, but safe mode suddenly worked so I'm fine. This time I held down the power button, I guess earlier I only pushed it and thus put the comp in sleep mode instead of cold boot, so I never passed the BIOS. Weird because I'm sure my comp turns OFF when I press the power button...

And all this because nfs:hp is locked in am activation loop and I wanted to try everything.

Guess what?

...NFS HP works now. That was a LOT of unnecessary stress...

kharma45

The number of issues I've read makes me a bit uneasy in giving it a thumbs up though.

It was a board I was cautious about going for since there was only one proper review but it's been flawless so far, must try pushing the OC further too, as I said it's at 4.2 with little to no increase in voltage.

kennah

More rad space. 140mm rads pretty much suck because 140mm fans pretty much suck.

The aquatube takes up a lot more space than that too. You are going to be insanely tight getting the fittings proper.

I thought they blow (hardy har har)

Probably room for a third 120mm, but that might be getting into the world of ridiculous. Could put the AquaTube next to the Pump, but then you can't see it.

mkenyon

Banned
I thought they blow (hardy har har)

Probably room for a third 120mm, but that might be getting into the world of ridiculous. Could put the AquaTube next to the Pump, but then you can't see it.
The thing about going for a third rad isn't necessarily the rad space that is taken up, it's that you'll drastically increase the cost by needing tons of angled fittings and adapters to be able to connect everything. At that point, you're pretty much cramming the thing to the brim.

Something else you could look into is using a T fitting, where one end goes to a fill port on the top. This eliminates the need for a reservoir.

Levyne

Banned
Any red flags with this monitor (ASUS PA248Q 24-Inch)?

I'm also seeing lots of people point to this (Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24")

Edit: I think I will get the Dell because they seem to be very comparible plus the dell has this compatible soundbar. I know soundbars get a bad rap for being ghetto or something but I'm not much of an audiophile....it will still be an upgrade to my laptop's built in speakers, ha

Ryaaan14

Banned
As has been said, change the 580. 7950 would be what I go for, or if you want Nvidia get a 670.

Change your PSU too, something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

Maybe think about a different case too like the 200R http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139018&Tpk=corsair 200r

Go for low profile RAM too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

Thanks a bunch. I'm going with all of your suggestions.

Is this a decent 670? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130782

kennah

The thing about going for a third rad isn't necessarily the rad space that is taken up, it's that you'll drastically increase the cost by needing tons of angled fittings and adapters to be able to connect everything. At that point, you're pretty much cramming the thing to the brim.

Something else you could look into is using a T fitting, where one end goes to a fill port on the top. This eliminates the need for a reservoir.

Oh, so a reservoir isn't 100% Necessary? But I guess not having one makes filling and draining a bitch.

How about this

BitfenixThoughts2.png

Mogwai

Thanks a bunch. I'm going with all of your suggestions.

Is this a decent 670? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130782

EVGA is a good brand but I don't think that cooler is the best from what I've read in here.

Slightly OT as I presume you want Nvidia but I didn't realise the 7950 was $100 cheaper! :eek:

I was researching a little on the GTX 670 a month ago and it seems people recommend to take the EVGA FTW Signature 2 or even an ASUS DirectCU II for GTX 670 as they have better cooling than the reference designs. The price is higher though, but it also performs around a 680.

Noob question here:

My i5 3570k just arrived and comes with what looks like a CPU cooler in the box. The guide in the OP suggests the 212EVO. Do I need it?

I guess I'll overclock at some point. Will the stock Intel cooler not cut it?

kharma45

Noob question here:

My i5 3570k just arrived and comes with what looks like a CPU cooler in the box. The guide in the OP suggests the 212EVO. Do I need it?

I guess I'll overclock at some point. Will the stock Intel cooler not cut it?

If you want to OC you really need a third party cooler, the Intel one won't cut it, no.

Mogwai

Noob question here:

I guess I'll overclock at some point. Will the stock Intel fan not cut it?

I've done some mild overclock on my 3570k with the 212 EVO myself, but it should be possible to OC with the stock cooler to some extent. I don't think it's possible to run a 3570k @ 4,5GHz with the stock cooler at least.

If you want to OC you really need a third party cooler, the Intel one won't cut it, no.

Hmmm... I don't really plan on overclocking right out the gate. Could I get by running the 3570k at stock with the stock fan until I decide to try Overclocking?

It'd be nice to temporarily shave $30 off my build.

Paradicia

Hey guys first time poster in this thread :) It's been a decent read so far!

What does everyone think of this build? Please give suggestions/critique. Btw before anyone asks I went for a standalone SSD knowing I'll have to get a storage drive soon after. I can use my two external hard-drives till then.

I'm aiming to build it in the summer with hope that several of the components in the list will be gone down in price somewhat. My price range will still be around the €1000 by the time I splurge.. it's just a matter of saving.

It's difficult to gauge when the next GPU/CPU configurations will be out but I hope sometime in June - August.

Nzlcefd.png

Any help is appreciated!

Globox_82

Banned
one quick question about 2 gpu on the moderboard thing.
what do you gain by having two GPUs gaming wise? when they are of same type or not. that's interesting.

Calidor

Hmmm... I don't really plan on overclocking right out the gate. Could I get by running the 3570k at stock with the stock fan until I decide to try Overclocking?

yes you can. My current build is like that.

I haven't bought a cooling device since I doubt that my processor is a bottleneck for anything. (Currently coupled with 8GB DDR3 and a 660ti)

Mogwai

Of course you can run the stock cooler with no OC. That's why it's comes with the processor. I did a little stress testing in prime95 with my stock cooler and I recall the max temps to reach around 71C-something. I think the highest temp it reached in a game was BF3 at 67C.

I've got a 212 EVO now and the biggest difference right away is that it less noisy. The stock cooler is a noisy bastard. My max temps under stress testing is now is ~62C. So the EVO gave around 10C temp drop.

Paradicia

what do you gain by having two GPUs gaming wise? when they are of same type or not. that's interesting.

Higher resolutions, faster frame-rates, overall generally better performance depending on the game and the driver software.

Anyone know a good mobo to go with that Xeon E3-1230 V2? Is there something a little cheaper than the Asus Z77 from the OP (since I can't overclock this)? Or is the Asus still a good board for future options?

mkenyon

Banned
It's only beneficial for extreme performance. It can be a hassle getting it to work now and then. There's ancillary issues as well such as microstuttering, additional input lag, and a host of other issues.

It's something you only do when the performance from a single card is not sufficient. Considering the Titan is $1000, that should be sufficient for 99% of setups.

Levyne

Banned
Hopefully I am not painting myself too green here, I probably am, but if I am looking at a GTX 680 and I7-3770K, what sort of power supply would I need?

Also what sort of motherboard would I need. Those I know the least about :/

appaws

Banned
Hey guys first time poster in this thread :) It's been a decent read so far!

What does everyone think of this build? Please give suggestions/critique. Btw before anyone asks I went for a standalone SSD knowing I'll have to get a storage drive soon after. I can use my two external hard-drives till then.

I'm aiming to build it in the summer with hope that several of the components in the list will be gone down in price somewhat. My price range will still be around the €1000 by the time I splurge.. it's just a matter of saving.

It's difficult to gauge when the next GPU/CPU configurations will be out but I hope sometime in June - August.

Nzlcefd.png

Any help is appreciated!

I think that generally looks pretty good. The general consensus in the thread is to get the 840 Pro SSD instead of the regular 840.

I have that Gigabyte 7950 and have it overclocked to 1100/1600 at 1.2v and it stays really cool and quiet. People also like the ASUS and the MSI Twin Frozr 7950s.

Bought 2 Samsung F3 HD103SJs back in 2010 for £34 each, and they have been, and continue to be, fantastic.

I find myself in need of more space, and wanted to know what drive to purchase. Samsung HDDs were bought out, as the OP states, so they've gone to shit. I'm not looking for an OS drive (I've got 256GB 830 for that) so is my best bet a 2TB WD Green for £70? Looking to store my photos, 1080p footage, in-game recordings, massive Bloomberg dumps and FLAC music. Or should I go for a Seagate Barracuda 2TB?

Thanks to the Thai flood two high-quality individual 1TB HDDs in 2010 costs less than a worse 2TB HDD today. Crazy.

Ok guys, two quick questions before I pull the trigger on my next set of pruchases.

1. Gigabyte HD 7950 > Sapphire one, right? I know they're supposed to be really close but I think I remember the Gigabyte one having better cooling or something, can't remember exactly.

2. Is Amazon still doing the buy the AMD HD 7950 and get Bioshock Infinite + Crysis 3 deal? I don't see it on the page but I remember seeing it on Newegg.

Any help would be appreciated just so I can know whether or not I'll be able to save a little bit of extra cash from Prime shipping or not. Thanks!

knitoe

Anyone using a Apple AirPort Extreme router? Does it run kinda warm? I bought one to replace my Linksys E4200 which also ran warm. The Linksys died shortly after the warranty. I am kinda worry the AirPort would end up doing the same. The AirPort does seem more snappy.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Help.

I think I blew up my computer.

So I was trying to change my GPU. Then when I tried booting it there were a bunch of red lights on my motherboard. I tried different configs with wires but I still cant get it to boot up. So then I just went back and got my old GPU and tried booting it back up with that. Now it just wont boot up period. :(

Posting from my laptop right now but I don't use this other than for traveling. My main PC in my PC room is the one I am talking about.

I think my new GPU is defective. It's not booting and it keeps saying DVI signal not found but I reuse my old GPU and everything is fine. I'm just going to RMA it.

Danj

Another GAFfer just ordered a Tiki, wait a couple weeks and get impressions from him ;)

Tiki is crazy overpriced. Alienware X51 is a much much better value.

Keep in mind the Tiki also weighs a TON because of the base.

Yeah but the card is full size and is user replaceable. So when the next gen 20 nm GPUs hit you should have no problem getting a similar TDP card but with much more power. The other option is the Tiki and you can put a Titan in it but it is much bigger than the x51 and much more costlier.

Well, I'm guessing the Tiki itself is probably North America only, I was wondering if there was anything similar on this side of the pond.

Also keep in mind the 660 in the Alienware X51 is not the same as the desktop one. It's closer to the 660Ti in performance.

Yes... but a 660Ti still isn't high-end, is it?

How does the 660 or 660Ti compare to a mobile Radeon 7970, for example? Just trying to figure out if the gaming laptop might be a better option after all.

kennah

Yes... but a 660Ti still isn't high-end, is it?

How does the 660 or 660Ti compare to a mobile Radeon 7970, for example? Just trying to figure out if the gaming laptop might be a better option after all.

You can have High End

Or you can have Small.

They are pretty mutually exclusive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom