• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
katyusha said:
To answer your question, I think that would definitely last 2 years or more. 680's are very powerful cards, especially in SLI.

I mean, Square Enix's next-gen tech demo was running on 1 680 at 60 fps, and I know we probably won't be seeing that kind of optimization in PC ports but that just gives you an idea of the potential these cards have.

Cool. Well, optimisation is my biggest worry as the CPU obviously will be quite different from the new consoles, also didn't go with 16GB DDR3 as I thought it's easy to upgrade when it's being more widely used. Can't wait to benchmark with Nvidia's New Dawn.
A single or dual 680 SLi?

I'd get a better PSU for sure (see OP)... probably bump the mobo up to a $200 one like the MSI MPOWER / ASUS Gene

And yeah any GPU that costs >$250 I'm sure will be quite fine for a while.

It's a single SLI. The GTX 680 4GB FTW edition.
I thought i'd gone with a pretty decent PSU, is there something wrong with that particular model. Also went with a recommended Motherboard from the OP.

mkenyon

Banned
Single SLI?

As in, two cards, yes?

The motherboard is kind of the low-end spectrum on the Z77 platform. It's limiting in a lot of ways.

You will be pulling somewhere between 400-500W during gaming, so the PSU is fine spec wise. It's that it is not modular, which means you will have cables coming out everywhere.

The PC-6B is going to be pretty limiting on airflow too. Should have gone for the PC-7HX.

Single SLI?

As in, two cards, yes?

The motherboard is kind of the low-end spectrum on the Z77 platform. It's limiting in a lot of ways.

You will be pulling somewhere between 400-500W during gaming, so the PSU is fine spec wise. It's that it is not modular, which means you will have cables coming out everywhere.

The PC-6B is going to be pretty limiting on airflow too. Should have gone for the PC-7HX.

OK the PSU is one of the few items that has not yet dispatched, I've cancelled it and will order a better fit for this design. What would you suggest? Thanks for the help.

EDIT - went with the AX650 from Corsair as recommended in the OP.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yessssss. The Asus 144hz is in stock at B&H! It should arrive exactly on the day that I finish school. Amazing.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I'd drop to a 3930K unless you need the extra cache for something.
Drop that money towards a Titan
840 Pro over M4
TX650W? Get modular at least, what are you doing! Seasonic 550W G series is a touch more. You can spring for HX650 / X650 / AX650 or their 750W models if you like.

I'll be doing a lot of daily H.264 video encoding. What CPU would you recommend?

How about the HX+ 750W? I've also replaced the M4 with the 840 Pro.

4xS6ScQ.png

mkenyon

Banned
Yessssss. The Asus 144hz is in stock at B&H! It should arrive exactly on the day that I finish school. Amazing.
Serendipitous.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/michalius/

Add me on Steam, looking to put together a GAF in-house weekly Warsow game. Perfect to test your new 144Hz on. :p
I'll be doing alot of daily H264 video encoding. What CPU would you recommened?

How about the HX+ 750W? I've also replaced the M4 with the 840 Pro.
It's a really huge jump in price for a single digit % increase in performance.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/11/14/intel-sandy-bridge-e-review/5

catmincer

Question...

Would a Seasonic S12II 620W 80Plus be enough if I wanted to add another 7950 to my system?

Currently have

FX8350 w/ Noctua NH-C14 cooler
Sapphire 7950
2x8gb ddr3
SSD + WD Blue HDD

mkenyon

Banned
Question...

Would a Seasonic S12II 620W 80Plus be enough if I wanted to add another 7950 to my system?

Currently have

FX8350 w/ Noctua NH-C14 cooler
Sapphire 7950
2x8gb ddr3
SSD + WD Blue HDD
Don't, Crossfire is pretty much broken right now. The increase in performance is placebo when it doesn't look strange.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...ance-Review-and-Frame-Rating-Update/Frame-Rat
Why is it 144hz, seems like such an odd number. 30-60-120-144?
Because that was the highest they could clock the panel.

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, about to order my "standard" computer (the one in the OP. I like it, reasonably priced for what I want to do).

One last question though.

Windows 7 or 8?

Mogwai

I just upgradede to Win8 and it so far it works fine in all games I've come across (newer ones such as TR, MP3 and Crysis 3).

lmpaler

Is PhysX even worth it? I've found conflicting opinions on the net. I do want to play some of the games that have it, Batman, Mafia 2. Basically will I miss out by not having it and going Radeon?

Irobot82

Is PhysX even worth it? I've found conflicting opinions on the net. I do want to play some of the games that have it, Batman, Mafia 2. Basically will I miss out by not having it and going Radeon?

Well I can say for Batman: AA, if you like mist, large men kicking paper, and flags, then yes it is worth it. For Batman: AC if you like mist, one scene with and ice gun, flags, sparks, and more paper, then yes it is worth it.

kennah

Well I can say for Batman: AA, if you like mist, large men kicking paper, and flags, then yes it is worth it. For Batman: AC if you like mist, one scene with and ice gun, flags, sparks, and more paper, then yes it is worth it.

If you play Borderlands 2 it's worth it. I went from an AMD card to an NVIDIA midway through the game and the difference was amazing.

Irobot82

70F so about 21C. Definitely think I messed something up. Right now im at a +.15 offeset and 4.0ghz OC and my temps are about 80C during prime95.

Wonder what it could be, the thermal paste?

Might have gotten it. I heard the H80i fans were pretty loud, so I bought different fans, guess they werent too good. Im using the fans that came with the H80i, and im idling at 28-32C and max load at 69-75C. Thats a little better. Should the H80i be used as an intake or exhaust? I have it as an exhaust in the back of the case, and then an intake in the bottom and front.

Im using a Define R4 if it makes a difference.

I have a Thermaltake Water 2.0 and it's an exhaust right now, but I am working on modding it to put in the front. The was I see it it is better to pull in cold air then exhale warm air.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Woo! Just picked up a 4GB 670 that's been a slut the last few weeks!

Irobot82

If you play Borderlands 2 it's worth it. I went from an AMD card to an NVIDIA midway through the game and the difference was amazing.

I heard that with BL2 you can turn it on the CPU with AMD cards and the hit to performance is less than move nVidia cards. What is in BL2? Some water effects and some particle blasts?

kennah

Woo! Just picked up a 4GB 670 that's been a slut the last few weeks!

When you want to sell it, let me know, maybe then I can reunite the twins.

I heard that with BL2 you can turn it on the CPU with AMD cards and the hit to performance is less than move nVidia cards. What is in BL2? Some water effects and some particle blasts?

Fabric. And you can only enable 'some' of it with CPU. It completely changes the effects of the corrosive guns. Adds lots of effects to other guns and adds fabric (flags, dropcloths, et cetera) all over the game. Huge differences. A friend with a GTX260 couldn't even turn everything on. When he upgraded to my 660 he was impressed as well.

Irobot82

When you want to sell it, let me know, maybe then I can reunite the twins.

Fabric. And you can only enable 'some' of it with CPU. It completely changes the effects of the corrosive guns. Adds lots of effects to other guns and adds fabric (flags, dropcloths, et cetera) all over the game. Huge differences. A friend with a GTX260 couldn't even turn everything on. When he upgraded to my 660 he was impressed as well.

Sweet. I'll get around to playing it one day, not with the PhysX though. This proprietary stuff is so dumb.

lmpaler

That game is what me second guess going ATI. Those corrosive weapon effects and vortex grenad eeffects are sexy

scogoth

Ah, I think that's because I have overclocked RAM, something like 2400mhz, I think. Or am I getting something wrong? (Somewhat clueless to overclocking).

Could be. 1.65v was used for nehalem and westerner processors and went down to 1.5v for sandy bridge and ivy bridge. Nothing wrong with other than it can, rarely, cause some issues. Just something to keep in mind.

mkenyon

Banned
First, Kennah, apologies in advance for this.

For other folks, TripT Custom Cases just recently announced the 'Compact Splash' as available for purchase. Would make a killer ITX case even without a full loop in mind.

http://www.craftograph.com/compactsplash/index.php?route=common/home

$170.00

This was originally a one-off case for a guy on OCN who wanted a custom ITX case.

LL

For reference, this is the same guy who made my custom test bench which I love to death:

t-ramp

First, Kennah, apologies in advance for this.

For other folks, TripT Custom Cases just recently announced the 'Compact Splash' as available for purchase. Would make a killer ITX case even without a full loop in mind.

http://www.craftograph.com/compactsplash/index.php?route=common/home

$170.00

This was originally a one-off case for a guy on OCN who wanted a custom ITX case.

For reference, this is the same guy who made my custom test bench which I love to death:
Damn, that's nice. Only about two more weeks to order, though, so hop on it if anyone is interested.

scogoth

About $25. Not looking to spend a lot on it, just that the older PSU sitting in the PSU is a no-name 425W about 5 or so years old..

Ok ill look through what CC offers cause that one is a really bad PSU, it's actually 430W and fails to meet the minimum voltage specs for power supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom