• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
:(

I have no idea. It has to be cable (as in DVI) or power related. Did you try different outputs from the back of the card? Try using a displayport adapter to DVI?

Yeah. I tried every connection I can think of. Don't know what's up. I mean it boots up all the way to my desktop, just that I can't see anything. You don't think the monitor themselves are set so that it doesn't detect the GPU signal or something? I am using a dual monitor setup.

Jburton

Banned
May want to sell my PC so building this new one doesn't hurt the pocket very much.

Realistically, how much do you guys suppose I could get for

i72600K
GTX 570
Asus Sabertooth MOBO
Hyper 212 CPU Cooler
8GB Vengeance RAM
Cooler Master HAF 922 Case

I would be interested in the i7 if the price is fair.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I know this thread encourages us to build our own, but how about this from overclockers UK:

- Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Mini ITX Case - White
- Power Supply: Corsair GS 600W PSU
- CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz Ivybridge Processor Overclocked to 4.00GHz
- Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 mini ITX Motherboard
- Cooler: Corsair H60 CPU Cooler
- RAM: Patriot Viper Red 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- SSD: 128GB Samsung 840 Primary drive
- Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
- Graphics Card: MSI Twin Frozr 3GB 7960 boost edition
- Optical Drive: pioneer 207DBK bluray ROM drive
- Internet: Built In 802.11N WIFI

£1037

My parts list was about £960 for about the same spec

Shambles

I've been looking at 512GB class SSDs and the 500GB Samsung 840 (Non-Pro) can be price matched for about $330 is making me twitch. Now I'm very leery of the longevity of the TLC drives, especially on such an expensive device. I want it to last me long into the future. Has anyone else dived into the high-capacity TLC territory and how confident do you feel about your purchase?

mkenyon

Banned
I know this read encourages us to build our own, but how about this from overclockers UK
I'd use that myself. Very legit.
Have you tried using the integrated GPU on your processor? Unless you are on the SB-E platform, then disregard.
P67 board.
I've been looking at 512GB class SSDs and the 500GB Samsung 840 (Non-Pro) can be price matched for about $330 is making me twitch. Now I'm very leery of the longevity of the TLC drives, especially on such an expensive device. I want it to last me long into the future. Has anyone else dived into the high-capacity TLC territory and how confident do you feel about your purchase?
I was in the same boat! I caved and got one. With a lifespan of 5-7 years or more, I'm pretty confident in it. It's the smaller ones you'd want to avoid.

Perhaps someone could help me with an issue I've been having.
Dishonored has been randomly crashing to desktop, with little more than an error saying that windows detected a problem and tries to search for a solution, as to which it finds none.
I ONLY have this issue with Dishonored, but I just this past weekend built my new gaming PC.
Doing a google search shows a problem with CTD relating to ATI cards, but this is with a Geforce GTX 670. The game isn't very taxing, and runs flawlessly when it isn't crashing.
Is this a known problem at all?

Running Windows 7 64 bit.

Thank you!

So I'm relatively new to the PC gaming scene and I guess I just don't get Vsync. You lose frames with it on, but if you have it off it's screen tear city. Most people say they never turn it on... What do you guys do?

mkenyon

Banned
So I'm relatively new to the PC gaming scene and I guess I just don't get Vsync. You lose frames with it on, but if you have it off it's screen tear city. Most people say they never turn it on... What do you guys do?
So much input lag with it on.

How about a 120Hz monitor? :p

Madridy

Perhaps someone could help me with an issue I've been having.
Dishonored has been randomly crashing to desktop, with little more than an error saying that windows detected a problem and tries to search for a solution, as to which it finds none.
I ONLY have this issue with Dishonored, but I just this past weekend built my new gaming PC.
Doing a google search shows a problem with CTD relating to ATI cards, but this is with a Geforce GTX 670. The game isn't very taxing, and runs flawlessly when it isn't crashing.
Is this a known problem at all?

Running Windows 7 64 bit.

Thank you!

What is the brand/model of your GPU? And is it factory OCed?

I ask because my ASUS DCUII GTX 670 has a bad factory OC and causes it to CTD under extended periods of high load.

kennah

Thought I would post this here. Long story made short, I need to sell this EVGA 4GB 670 that I bought from mkenyon a few weeks ago. I've had other things come up and building a PC is not in the cards right now so I need to unload the couple things I have bought. The only thing I have done with it since I got it is take it out of the box and check it out. Been sitting on my kitchen table ever since.

I'll take what I paid for it which is $300 shipped (Paypal only). Thanks guys.

I wish I could afford to reunite the twins.

kharma45

I know this read encourages us to build our own, but how about this from overclockers UK:

- Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Mini ITX Case - White
- Power Supply: Corsair GS 600W PSU
- CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz Ivybridge Processor Overclocked to 4.00GHz
- Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 mini ITX Motherboard
- Cooler: Corsair H60 CPU Cooler
- RAM: Patriot Viper Red 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- SSD: 128GB Samsung 840 Primary drive
- Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
- Graphics Card: MSI Twin Frozr 3GB 7960 boost edition
- Optical Drive: pioneer 207DBK bluray ROM drive
- Internet: Built In 802.11N WIFI

£1037

My parts list was about £960 for about the same spec

PSU isn't the best and I'd try to get something else other than the 840. Either go Pro or another brand like the Crucial M4 or Kingston V300.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/JvS0

That worked out at £978 but changing the SSD could save £20-30 (from the 840 Pro to the V300) and bring it down to a better level. It has better quality RAM than the build from OCUK, better PSU and you'll get the free games from AMD (from participating retailers) in it too which I don't think you get with their pre-builds but I could be wrong. Another plus to building yourself is each component will have its own retail warranty too rather than just 1 year from OCUK in their builds.

V300 change for example takes it down to £953

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/JvV9

What is the brand/model of your GPU? And is it factory OCed?

I ask because my ASUS DCUII GTX 670 has a bad factory OC and causes it to CTD under extended periods of high load.

It's an EVGA Signature II and *I* haven't overclocked, though it may be factory.
I've only started the game, I'm still in the process of escaping in the early levels.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
OMG OMG OMG, I got it working. You have no idea how happy I am. Looks like the BIOS was the culprit. I updated it and now everything seems fine. Thanks MK for helping me out.

Now I just need an HDMI to DVI adapter. I tried using my 360 HDMI cable to hook up the second monitor but it's not working.

Oh. It looks like I have the GHZ edition. The stock clock is 1000mhz.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PSU isn't the best and I'd try to get something else other than the 840. Either go Pro or another brand like the Crucial M4 or Kingston V300.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/JvS0

That worked out at £978 but changing the SSD could save £20-30 (from the 840 Pro to the V300) and bring it down to a better level. It has better quality RAM than the build from OCUK, better PSU and you'll get the free games from AMD (from participating retailers) in it too which I don't think you get with their pre-builds but I could be wrong. Another plus to building yourself is each component will have its own retail warranty too rather than just 1 year from OCUK in their builds.

V300 change for example takes it down to £953

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/JvV9

Ok, I wasn't sure about whether it was the standard 840 or the pro, and the PSU I was unsure about. Plus free crysis 3 (already have bioshock preordered). Can't seem to find the MSI twin Frozr anywhere else - sapphire a good alternative?

Lastly, I've had a noctua cooler before, would that be a good alternative to the H60, or even dropping down to a hyper 212 to save another £20. Would like to overclock a decent amount but not crazy levels

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ji1e

Ditched the optical drive, don't really need one (it was free in that overclockers build anyway)

OS I still need to figure out whether to use my update voucher from my laptop or just buy another one.

kharma45

Ok, I wasn't sure about whether it was the standard 840 or the pro, and the PSU I was unsure about. Plus free crysis 3 (already have bioshock preordered). Can't seem to find the MSI twin Frozr anywhere else - sapphire a good alternative?

Lastly, I've had a noctua cooler before, would that be a good alternative to the H60, or even dropping down to a hyper 212 to save another £20. Would like to overclock a decent amount but not crazy levels

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ji1e

Ditched the optical drive, don't really need one (it was free in that overclockers build anyway)

OS I still need to figure out whether to use my update voucher from my laptop or just buy another one.

Make sure any coolers you choose can fit inside the Prodigy as space is tight remember, that'd be my only concern.

Sapphire is a good alternative yeah although Gigabyte has the best warranty for RMAs in the UK so would be my choice for a 7950.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh my goodness! I got my SSD in the mail today. I had no idea it was so small and so light! I obviously knew it was smaller than a HDD, but man, that thing is TINY!

Also, that's a great deal on that 4GB 670. If anyone wants to buy a used 7950 that I'll be getting in the mail on Friday... Haha

mkenyon

Banned
Make sure any coolers you choose can fit inside the Prodigy as space is tight remember, that'd be my only concern.

Sapphire is a good alternative yeah although Gigabyte has the best warranty for RMAs in the UK so would be my choice for a 7950.
In addition to that, you have to worry about specific z77 ITX and cooler compatibility. They are so tightly crammed with stuff even near the cutouts on the backside that make some backplates incompatible.

That was the difficulty in getting my SFF guide out, everything else was a breeze.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Stick with H60 then - intake on rear as mentioned before?

Will check the gigabyte too and make sure to buy from someone doing the free games offer.

kharma45

Stick with H60 then - intake on rear as mentioned before?

Will check the gigabyte too and make sure to buy from someone doing the free games offer.

This is a rough guide to how the different companies perform with regards to RMA service in the UK

2graphicscardwarrantyso.png

Of course YMMV but it's handy to at least take note of.

asdad123

May want to sell my PC so building this new one doesn't hurt the pocket very much.

Realistically, how much do you guys suppose I could get for

i72600K
GTX 570
Asus Sabertooth MOBO
Hyper 212 CPU Cooler
8GB Vengeance RAM
Cooler Master HAF 922 Case

If you're gonna part out, I may be interested in the 570.

Steam seemed to reinstall some Direct X elements for whatever reason when launching Dishonored, and I didn't have a crash to desktop for quite awhile, so I thought it was fixed.
Then it happened again. :(

I am thinking of building a new PC. It's mostly for scientific computing / work. Since I like to keep my desk clear it will probably be away from me, connected to the TV (a waste for the graphics card.. :) ), and i will vnc/ssh into. And occasionally run the game/benchmark for the eye candy.

Here's what I got so far:

Cooler Master GeminII S524
WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive
Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) - might upgrade to 64.
AS Rock LGA1155 Z77 EXTREME4 - ASRock
Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 -
Corsair Professional Series AX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX850)
Nvidia Titan

Case undecided, but I would like something nice but not tacky (i.e. not an ugly random box, and even less an extreme fatalyt1 hardcore gamerz box ++). Cheap does not hurt either.

It's a bit on the expensive side (seems like it would total at least 2k, more with more ram, and the inevitable extra drive to backup the first).

What do you think I should throw to lower price a bit? The CPU? The GPU is not option - I will primarily do GPU computing and I'd like to push things a bit. (for the same reason, RAM not really an option either). I don't think I care about the extra speed percent on the RAM, but I would fucking hate it if wasn't reliable. Ideally the computer would not be super fucking loud, since it will be next to the TV and running all the time.

I am considering adding an extra graphics card someday, I assume I should boost the psu a bit?

Steam seemed to reinstall some Direct X elements for whatever reason when launching Dishonored, and I didn't have a crash to desktop for quite awhile, so I thought it was fixed.
Then it happened again. :(

Then after a crash at start, tried again, and was able to play quite awhile with no issue. Hmph

EDIT: Yowzas, it could have been my fault all along. I went into the BIOS settings and realized I set the "automatic" overclock to 4.4 GHz, so perhaps that is the culprit if it isn't running quite stable. I don't know what it set the voltage at or whatever but perhaps I should manually overclock it rather than letting the BIOS do some quick and dirty changes.

EDIT #2: Hmm... BIOS reports it at 4.4, while Windows control panel > system reports it as 3.4 (stock)

Ah, my budget build is moving forward. What I got

Case - Corsair Carbide 200R - $54.99 (was $44.99 but Canada Computers raised just I when I decided to order it, but still cheaper than the $69.99 it cost everywhere else.)
CPU- Intel Core i5-3570K - $229.99
Heat Sink- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $34.99(also missed the CC deal on this one, bah!)
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - $141.99
HDD- 500GB WD Black w/ 64MB cache - $74.99
Optical Drive - Lite-On DVD burner - $17.97 (because I still use dvds for doing some back ups and blu-ray drives cost more...maybe later )

About $627.06 total(including HST tax)

What I'm keeping/transferring from my current PC
RAM - Corsair XMS3 8GB(4x4) 1333MHz
HDD - WD Blue 500GB and WD Black 640GB
Graphics - Geforce GTX 460 1GB
PSU - Corsair TX650W PSU

Some of those can be upgraded at a later time, but they'll do just fine for now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I need a storage drive to go along with my SSD. The OP part list just suggests WDs straight. Are they really pretty much it for good HDDs now?

Been thinking about picking up another 8 GB of the Samsung memory too, waiting and waiting for it to come back into stock at NewEgg... and now I see it shows discontinued. :/
Bounces around, gonna be hard to find sadly. Knew I shoulda stocked up.
Ah, my budget build is moving forward. What I got

Case - Corsair Carbide 200R - $54.99 (was $44.99 but Canada Computers raised just I when I decided to order it, but still cheaper than the $69.99 it cost everywhere else.)
CPU- Intel Core i5-3570K - $229.99
Heat Sink- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $34.99(also missed the CC deal on this one, bah!)
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - $141.99
HDD- 500GB WD Black w/ 64MB cache - $74.99
Optical Drive - Lite-On DVD burner - $17.97 (because I still use dvds for doing some back ups and blu-ray drives cost more...maybe later )

About $627.06 total(including HST tax)

What I'm keeping/transferring from my current PC
RAM - Corsair XMS3 8GB(4x4) 1333MHz
HDD - WD Blue 500GB and WD Black 640GB
Graphics - Geforce GTX 460 1GB
PSU - Corsair TX650W PSU

Some of those can be upgraded at a later time, but they'll do just fine for now.
Yeah, just a GPU drop in away from excellence. A small SSD down the line will do wonders as well.
Thanks again for everyone's help! The R4 looks fantastic and the whole build is running super fast.
Looks great :)

ziadoz

Neo Member
I finally completed my build last week, once all my parts arrived. It went pretty smoothly and everything seems to be running fine.

Mwreha2l.jpg

I'm excited to get back into PC gaming again. I just need a decent power line ethernet adapter now, so I don't have to have 30ft of cable strewn across the house.

Oh my goodness! I got my SSD in the mail today. I had no idea it was so small and so light! I obviously knew it was smaller than a HDD, but man, that thing is TINY!

Also, that's a great deal on that 4GB 670. If anyone wants to buy a used 7950 that I'll be getting in the mail on Friday... Haha

Same here, I had no idea SSD's were so small. I was kinda wondering why they don't just ducttape two SSD's together to double the storage :p

Arsenic

Asking one more time, cause im about to pull the trigger (I need this built and tested before Passover)

For use with CAD softwares:

Should I get the 7970?
Or splurge a little more on the 680?

Every website seems split on the cards, but nothing says anything specific for 3Dmax, Rhino, etc. What should I look for? Help me, I'm a little tipsy, and I dont want buyer's remorse tomorrow morning!

Thanks

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Asking one more time, cause im about to pull the trigger (I need this built and tested before Passover)

For use with CAD softwares:

Should I get the 7970?
Or splurge a little more on the 680?

Every website seems split on the cards, but nothing says anything specific for 3Dmax, Rhino, etc. What should I look for? Help me, I'm a little tipsy, and I dont want buyer's remorse tomorrow morning!

Thanks
lol

I've always though of nVidia's support for that stuff as being better, but maybe AMD has made tons of strides recently? I'm not the best person to ask, do you have links to those forums where people are talking about using the cards?

And what specific software would you be using?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Thought I would post this here. Long story made short, I need to sell this EVGA 4GB 670 that I bought from mkenyon a few weeks ago. I've had other things come up and building a PC is not in the cards right now so I need to unload the couple things I have bought. The only thing I have done with it since I got it is take it out of the box and check it out. Been sitting on my kitchen table ever since.

I'll take what I paid for it which is $300 shipped (Paypal only). Thanks guys.

PM'd! I'll take it if it's still available. I can pay immediately :)

Arsenic

Which specific software?

3D Max, Rhino, AutoCAD, Photoshop and Starcraft 2 lol.

lol

I've always though of nVidia's support for that stuff as being better, but maybe AMD has made tons of strides recently? I'm not the best person to ask, do you have links to those forums where people are talking about using the cards?

And what specific software would you be using?

I've read them days ago, let me see if I can pull them up again.

EDIY:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/366170-33-7970-edition-nvidia
&
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/395867-33-7970-edition-physx-help

And maybe I should mention that my friend, who is the one to use this setup, is running a double 900p monitor setup and doesn't seem to care to upgrade anytime soon! Help me understand, though, does the VRAM only benefit what is going on at that screen in that particular time? Can it also affect the computing of whatever the hell this guy would be modeling? Man I need to go back to school.... :(3

EDIT2:

Cry me a river :(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195116

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
3D Max, Rhino, AutoCAD, Photoshop and Starcraft 2 lol.

I've read them days ago, let me see if I can pull them up again.

EDIY:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/366170-33-7970-edition-nvidia
&
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/395867-33-7970-edition-physx-help

And maybe I should mention that my friend, who is the one to use this setup, is running a double 900p monitor setup and doesn't seem to care to upgrade anytime soon! Help me understand, though, does the VRAM only benefit what is going on at that screen in that particular time? Can it also affect the computing of whatever the hell this guy would be modeling? Man I need to go back to school.... :(3

EDIT2:

Cry me a river :(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195116
Yo, just buy a Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom