• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-ramp

Dude, probably 30% of my computer is going to be his direct hand me downs :)

Sleeping on the case before I hit order tomorrow. Look like dark subaru blue for the colour and my kid's names combined for the nameplate.

And a purple power button.
Did you get the 830 yet?

Katyusha

Well, AI Suite is being a little wonky. It's reporting that my CPU is at -1°C, while HW monitor and Core Temp are reporting 26°C

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Dude, probably 30% of my computer is going to be his direct hand me downs :)

Sleeping on the case before I hit order tomorrow. Look like dark subaru blue for the colour and my kid's names combined for the nameplate.

And a purple power button.

Haha. You may have me beat then. :p

And nice! I'm really looking forward to seeing how that turns out. What are you going with for the side panel?

Kipp

Colour matched steel. If I want an acrylic side I can just do it myself.

Cool!
You're not going watercooled from the start, right? Probably best not to have the acrylic side with an air setup in that case. It would probably look quite messy. Haha

kennah

Cool!
You're not going watercooled from the start, right? Probably best not to have the acrylic side with an air setup in that case. It would probably look quite messy. Haha

I'm not even sure you could do an air setup in that case, heh.

Yeah, watercooled as soon as I can manage it. I'll likely be able to buy everything before the case gets here in May. And thanks to work I probably won't have a chance to do the build until June.

Pics to come this weekend of my mitx board in the Lian Li Tower.

Kipp

I'm not even sure you could do an air setup in that case, heh.

Yeah, watercooled as soon as I can manage it. I'll likely be able to buy everything before the case gets here in May. And thanks to work I probably won't have a chance to do the build until June.

Yeah, watching the video of that watercooling build I couldn't even believe a watercooling setup fit in there. I can imagine an air setup would be a bit on the cramped side. Haha

And ah, nice. Haha. Very cool.

Sydle

Just wanted to share my final build. Thanks to Koroviev for the advice.

• ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard
  • i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz processor
  • Hyper 212 EVO heat sink
  • 8 GB Samsung DDR3 RAM
  • SeaSonic 620W M12 II power supply
  • 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
  • 1 TB WD Blue HDD
  • Sapphire 2 GB Radeon HD 7850
  • ASUS DVD RW optical drive
  • Fractal Design Define R4 case
  • CMStorm Quick Fire Pro mechanical keyboard
  • SteelSeries Sensei mouse
  • ViewSonic 27 inch LED monitor

Running beautifully and loving it. Currently researching speakers.

scogoth

Little do you guys know, I'm actually just Hazaro's puppet/minion.

Thanks though, I'm blushing. :p

I lol'd. Face it Haz is the monarch, your the guy who is too nice.
love you haz!

Yeah, I've debated that, but hammer + razer + CPU scares the crap out of me.

No hammer required. It was surprising easy. You have to push hard and make *sure* the blade is under the heat spreader otherwise you scratch it like I did which is just aesthetic. After the initial freaky moment it was really easy to work the blade through the glue.

On another note, drunk PC gaf night again >_> and listening to soca music.

Kipp

Hey guys
Bday is coming in a few days and was wondering what you guys think are the best computer speakers available under $300

For that price range, your best bet is probably going to be the Audioengine A2s or the M-Audio BX5 D2s.

Although with audio equipment it's always best to do your own research to make sure it's what you want, since audio equipment is very subjective. However, it seems those two are your best bets.

Also, it would probably be worth it to look into a DAC if you don't already have one if you are going to get a pair of good speakers.

If you play Borderlands 2 it's worth it. I went from an AMD card to an NVIDIA midway through the game and the difference was amazing.

Seconded, PhysX is great for single player/ co-op shooters, but for competitive ones; e.g. Hawken, best to turn that shit off! :)

Hey guys. mkenyon is a really great guy to help spend your money for you. Just so you know.

Hey kennah, mind sharing your build? I'd like to get a feel as to what goes into a full WC mini-ITX case.

LegoDad

What power supply calculator do you guys use? Pretty sure my 650 watt is not enough and that's why I get issues every 6 months or so. Using newegg it says I need 815 watts, how much overhead should I go if I want to overclock at all, 1000?

mkenyon

Banned
Some more pictures of my project.

Came home today to find all the parts for Mr Pocket's build had arrived as well as one for me from PPCs. It was like vicarious Christmas.

Obligatory teaser so you click the link:

4IF5PpT.png

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I just realized I own an Arc Midi instead of an Arc Mini.
TIME TO BUY SOME 140MM FANS I GUESS.
What power supply calculator do you guys use? Pretty sure my 650 watt is not enough and that's why I get issues every 6 months or so. Using newegg it says I need 815 watts, how much overhead should I go if I want to overclock at all, 1000?
Me, what are you powering?
<550W for 1 GPU, <=750W for 2 GPUs. More for headroom or if you are spending more than $750 on GPU.

Addons like HDDs use 10W load, fans like 3W, it's all mostly a non issue. OCing an Intel adds like 50W maximum, same for GPU.

red731

If gfx card has 600W min requirement and I want to buy it with i7 3770k on 620W PSU, I will have a bad time right?
Should I aim for atleast 750W in this case or would M12II 620W be enough? I guess the question is asnwered.

TheD

The Detective
If gfx card has 600w min requirement and I want to buy it with i7 3770k on 620W PSU, I will have a bad time right?
Should I aim for atleast 700w in this case or would M12II 620W be enough? I guess the question is asnwered.

Ignore the wattage that the GFX card says it needs, Nvidia and AMD overstate what is needed to take into account all the illegal PSUs with false wattage floating ratings around.

LegoDad

I just realized I own an Arc Midi instead of an Arc Mini.
TIME TO BUY SOME 140MM FANS I GUESS.

Me, what are you powering?
<550W for 1 GPU, <=750W for 2 GPUs. More for headroom or if you are spending more than $750 on GPU.

Addons like HDDs use 10W load, fans like 3W, it's all mostly a non issue. OCing an Intel adds like 50W maximum, same for GPU.

Was running a 650 for an i7-970, 12gb of ram, 1 SSD, 2 HDDS, 2 x 460's, 5 case fans, 1 LED, 1 Blu-ray, 1 DVD/CD combo, 1 PCI TV card, CM Hyper 212 (w/2fans). and wasn't overclocked because i had random shut off issues until I got PSU replaced. Now having same issues again, and thinking after so long the PSU just can't handle the load because I need too much power, but I only see if after a couple of months because i'm never pushing the 2x 460's to their max.

For now, I took out a 460 to at least keep the computer running, was my first build over 2 years ago and now looking like I skimped on my PSU. (460 was also an add on later after intial build, but I knew I was going SLI.)

Guessing at least an 850 if not a 1050, just to future proof myself on better GPU's.

If an 850, I might as go for the HX or AX and get modular to cut down on the extra cords I have with the non modular TX650.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How is the prodigy for dust build up? Thinking about the white case but it has a solid front and doesn't seem to have any filters on any intakes except the PSU. The front and GPU vent seem unprotected. Not sure you can even get magnetic filters that big (front is huge, GPU vent is wide)

If I want to stream media to my TV would it be better to build a HTPC or just buy a Boxee Box or one of the other media boxes? I already have my gaming PC hooked up to the TV, so this second box wouldn't need to be games capable, and I'll be streaming files up to 720p in size, but it's mostly my DVD collection.

Boxee Boxes are about $200 here in Australia. Would I be able to build a small form factor PC for that much or should I just not even consider it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If the file formats are compatible, and you ca have iTunes running somewhere, an appleTV is wok choice. Otherwise a boxee box, roku or WDTV.

But if you already have your PC connected, why not use that with eg PLEX? Or does it need to be used at the same time?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Was running a 650 for an i7-970, 12gb of ram, 1 SSD, 2 HDDS, 2 x 460's, 5 case fans, 1 LED, 1 Blu-ray, 1 DVD/CD combo, 1 PCI TV card, CM Hyper 212 (w/2fans). and wasn't overclocked because i had random shut off issues until I got PSU replaced. Now having same issues again, and thinking after so long the PSU just can't handle the load because I need too much power, but I only see if after a couple of months because i'm never pushing the 2x 460's to their max.

For now, I took out a 460 to at least keep the computer running, was my first build over 2 years ago and now looking like I skimped on my PSU. (460 was also an add on later after intial build, but I knew I was going SLI.)

Guessing at least an 850 if not a 1050, just to future proof myself on better GPU's.

If an 850, I might as go for the HX or AX and get modular to cut down on the extra cords I have with the non modular TX650.
Hmm... technically a 650W should do it. I guessed around 500W draw in my head and http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine confirmed it's around that ballpark.
For reliable power and add in capacitor aging I could see it being a touch iffy.

For perspective a GTX 460 uses the same power load as a GTX 670 if you were wondering about all the low power requirements.

Also note that the good 650/750/850 units today are all much better with efficiency, ripple, and voltage delivered. With many being able to be overdrawn 100W extra at acceptable power (Just making a note).

If you really want to make sure I'd grab a nice 80+ Gold 850W unit like the AX850/X850 or a NZXT unit if that is cheaper. All good choices.
*Seasonic X 850 is $140 AR. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102

54-46!

qtMuJOh.jpg

Anything that looks out of place here? should probably note that I already own the GPU and the 750W PSU is for upgrades further down the line.

I'm also wondering what kind of fans I should add to the case? preferably Noctua ones.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
qtMuJOh.jpg

Anything that looks out of place here? should probably note that I already own the GPU and the 750W PSU is for upgrades further down the line.

I'm also wondering what kind of fans I should add to the case? preferably Noctua ones.
Solid. Just know the WD Black will probably be the loudest thing in your machine by far.

On fans... posting your case will help. Gotta match colors :p
I don't think Noctua makes any bad fans so if you want to match the scheme, grab some of those.

bjaelke

It's 10% faster roughly. For such a small price difference go IB.

Ivy Bridge seems to be around 5-10% faster clock for clock. You can see it compared to some Sandy Bridge i3s including the 2125 here. The i3 2125 has the same clock speed and performance as the 2125 , only difference is the integrated graphics is better which makes no difference if you have a GPU.

Cheers guys. Might just have to pick it up although I'm trying to assemble a decent PC on a tight budget.

Current specs:

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3
CPU: Core i3 I3-3220
Cooler: Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Pro
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 650 (1 GB)
Ram: Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 4 GB
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro (700W)*
Case: Antec New Solution VSK-4000E
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2 TB**
Optical Drive: LiteOn IHAS124​

*Slight overkill but it's currently on sale at 50% off.
**I have a spare 60 GB SSD which I'll add to the setup.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cheers guys. Might just have to pick it up although I'm trying to assemble a decent PC on a tight budget.

Current specs:

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3
CPU: Core i3 I3-3220
Cooler: Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Pro
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 650 (1 GB)
Ram: Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 4 GB
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro (700W)*
Case: Antec New Solution VSK-4000E
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2 TB**
Optical Drive: LiteOn IHAS124​

*Slight overkill but it's currently on sale at 50% off.
**I have a spare 60 GB SSD which I'll add to the setup.
Buy used if it's really tight. Certainly on the GPU. Nab a 6850/6870 or maybe a 560. Might be able to get a used 2500K in there even.

I've got a 2120 + 460(Faster than shitty nVidia reboot 650) + ASRock whatever (H61, no overclocking) + VP450 + Source 210 +DVD burner lying around here I meant to use for benching and I can't be arsed to find the time to use it. $275 + shipping.

Don't bother with that heatsink either, go stock or get a 212+.

bjaelke

Buy used if it's really tight.

All the parts I listed are used with the exception of the case and the psu. I appreciate the input - haven't finalized any of the deals yet.

And I'm in Europe, so shipping cost might exceed product cost. Thanks for your offer though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
All the parts I listed are used with the exception of the case and the psu. I appreciate the input - haven't finalized any of the deals yet.

And I'm in Europe, so shipping cost might exceed product cost. Thanks for your offer though.
Awesome! It'll certainly handle a lot you toss at it. It's very capable.

54-46!

Solid. Just know the WD Black will probably be the loudest thing in your machine by far.

You don't think the Define R4 negates some of the noise? how does the Blue compare to the Black performance wise?

Edit: I might buy a noise reduction kit and put the HDD in a 5.25" bay instead.

Vestal

A question to throw out there. Yesterday and went ahead and did a very serious cleaning of the internals of my system, removed everything and put it back together. I came across something kinda odd that then again could just be a bad sensor since I haven't checked temps on the CPU in a long time but I wanted to see if others have seen it.

I have a core i7 2600k with a H100 corsair cooler. Since I had to clean up and reapply Thermal paste I haven't OCed it again, however when running Prime95 core2 shows an average of 4-5 degrees Celsius higher under full load compared to the cores. Under no load they all go to normal. But this core records up 53 degrees under full load as opposed to the other cores that sit at around 47-48. Has anyone encountered this?

I am kinda tempted to clean up the CPU/Cooler and reapply the ArticSilver.

Thanks.

54-46!

A question to throw out there. Yesterday and went ahead and did a very serious cleaning of the internals of my system, removed everything and put it back together. I came across something kinda odd that then again could just be a bad sensor since I haven't checked temps on the CPU in a long time but I wanted to see if others have seen it.

I have a core i7 2600k with a H100 corsair cooler. Since I had to clean up and reapply Thermal paste I haven't OCed it again, however when running Prime95 core2 shows an average of 4-5 degrees Celsius higher under full load compared to the cores. Under no load they all go to normal. But this core records up 53 degrees under full load as opposed to the other cores that sit at around 47-48. Has anyone encountered this?

I am kinda tempted to clean up the CPU/Cooler and reapply the ArticSilver.

Thanks.

Maybe the cooler isn't screwed on evenly?

Vestal

Maybe the cooler isn't screwed on evenly?

nope thats fine. the H100 is pretty easy to screw on.. 4 risers are set in against the back plate and screwed to max tightness. the actually Cooler screws in and there is a max as to what you can screw each of the 4 screws to.

Fox the Sly

So...

Here's my system.

MOTHERBOARD: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
CPU: i5 2500k (was OC'd to 4.5, but I dialed it back to stock for now)
COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: G.Skill Low Profile 8GB (2 DIMMs)
GPU: PNY 8800GT (lol...)
SOUND CARD: Creative Audigy SE
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 380
CASE: Cooler Master Centurion 5
MONITOR: Westinghouse L2410NM (1920x1200)

This build was a partial upgrade that I made early last year when I got some income tax money. I couldn't upgrade everything. Now that time has rolled around again and I just ordered a Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 to replace my old 8800GT. The performance gains for games will be incredible. O_O

Next upgrade (hopefully with my next check) will be the PSU, then later an SSD, then a better case. I can't wait for my 670 to show up! I'll finally be able to play newer games with the settings "maxed" or at least on high. :)

So...

Here's my system.

MOTHERBOARD: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
CPU: i5 2500k (was OC'd to 4.5, but I dialed it back to stock for now)
COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: G.Skill Low Profile 8GB (2 DIMMs)
GPU: PNY 8800GT (lol...)
SOUND CARD: Creative Audigy SE
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 380
CASE: Cooler Master Centurion 5
MONITOR: Westinghouse L2410NM (1920x1200)

This build was a partial upgrade that I made early last year when I got some income tax money. I couldn't upgrade everything. Now that time has rolled around again and I just ordered a Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 to replace my old 8800GT. The performance gains for games will be incredible. O_O

Next upgrade (hopefully with my next check) will be the PSU, then later an SSD, then a better case. I can't wait for my 670 to show up! I'll finally be able to play newer games with the settings "maxed" or at least on high. :)

Shouldn't you get the PSU first? Says you need a 550W PSU for that bad boy.

Fox the Sly

Shouldn't you get the PSU first? Says you need a 550W PSU for that bad boy.

I thought about that too, but in terms of getting an expensive item like this, I have to strike while the irons hot. If I wait then I won't be able to lol. But yeah, I definitely need to upgrade that too asap. If I start having problems with the 670 then I'll just switch back to the 8800GT until I get another PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom