• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgraded my i5-2500K/8G/6950 to replace my 1TB 7500K RPM magnetic with 4x256G SSD in a 5.25" hotswap bay. Looking at possibly moving to a GTX-690 assuming the Corsair 650W PSU can handle it properly. It's surprisingly hard to find authoritative information on wattage but the few review sites I've seen seem to indicate it should be kosher?

scogoth

*edit*

Scogoth, what happened to your avatar? Sometimes you post and I don't even realize it's you.

One drunken toronto GAF meet up I changed it to real-pic-toronto-GAF-Saturday and took it down the next. Waiting for my stuff from lutr0 then I can sleeve my cables and take some pics.

scogoth

Upgraded my i5-2500K/8G/6950 to replace my 1TB 7500K RPM magnetic with 4x256G SSD in a 5.25" hotswap bay. Looking at possibly moving to a GTX-690 assuming the Corsair 650W PSU can handle it properly. It's surprisingly hard to find authoritative information on wattage but the few review sites I've seen seem to indicate it should be kosher?

More than kosher

M3z_

Don't, Crossfire is pretty much broken right now. The increase in performance is placebo when it doesn't look strange.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...ance-Review-and-Frame-Rating-Update/Frame-Rat

Because that was the highest they could clock the panel.

Does that test state whether they are testing with vsync and hardware base vsync/frame buffering?

I have two 7979's and I play at 1440p resloution using vysnc and hardware frame buffering. The idea that the increase in frames I receive from my second card is a placebo seems crazy to me. I have had both sli 680's and crossfire 7970's at different times in this generation and I will totally admit that it took configuring to get my crossfire running without noticeable stuttering it now just fine. I have tested Sleeping Dogs with one of my 7970's then with both in crossfire and the difference did not need a frame counter to be easily noticed.

mkenyon

Banned
Can I get your help later configuring this puppy? I'm going to order one tonight.
Yeah, add me on steam or gchat.
Does that test state whether they are testing with vsync and hardware base vsync/frame buffering?

I have two 7979's and I play at 1440p resloution using vysnc and hardware frame buffering. The idea that the increase in frames I receive from my second card is a placebo seems crazy to me. I have had both sli 680's and crossfire 7970's at different times in this generation and I will totally admit that it took configuring to get my crossfire running without noticeable stuttering it now just fine. I have tested Sleeping Dogs with one of my 7970's then with both in crossfire and the difference did not need a frame counter to be easily noticed.
Nope.

But, this stuff is pretty fricken convincing. I mean, there isn't any room for interpretation on their findings. The only thing that needs to be done is have it reproduced and tested by other websites which I believe Scott Wasson is planning on.

This sort of issue has been long talked about with Radeon cards. Putting two in crossfire certainly makes sense as to compounding it. They haven't even tested for frame latency internally until about 3 months ago when all of this started to blow up. It's being worked on, but is most definitely broken right now.

Conceptor

Ok ill look through what CC offers cause that one is a really bad PSU, it's actually 430W and fails to meet the minimum voltage specs for power supplies.

This is as cheap as I would go for PSU http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_442&item_id=036731

Otherwise stick with what you have and grab a nice USB stick or something
Shoot, thanks Scogoth! Appreciate it.

sucks to see you done with dota 2 mkenyon, the trench isn't a friendly place for newcomers :(

mkenyon

Banned
It's for the best. I need to get website stuff done, and will still play when I can queue with at least 4 friends.

I also need to start playing more PS2 in prep for the #esport mode. Kudos is wanting to push zfz into that pretty hard.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
It's a really huge jump in price for a single digit % increase in performance.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/11/14/intel-sandy-bridge-e-review/5

Thats pretty nuts. I've replace the 3970X with a overclocked 3930K. Also changed the motherboard and ram.

New build - Works out at £200/$300 cheaper.

- CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.20GHz @ 4.40GHz CPU
- Motherboard: Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79 DDR3 Motherboard
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C10 1600MHz
- Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalem CPU Cooler - Black
- EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Superclocked 2GB
- Corsair Professional Series HX+ 750W
- Samsung 128GB SSD 840 PRO SATA 6Gb/s
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s
- Asus BC-12B1ST BluRay-Rom / DVD-RW Drive OEM

mkenyon

Banned
If you aren't a seasoned builder, the Rampage IV Extreme can present some challenges as it has a lot of features enabled or intended for sub-zero overclockers (as in, Liquid Nitrogen cooling).

I'd suggest the Sabertooth or P9X79.

*edit*

Or, if you aren't planning on using all 8 RAM slots, check out the Rampage IV Formula.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
If you aren't a seasoned builder, the Rampage IV Extreme can present some challenges as it has a lot of features enabled or intended for sub-zero overclockers (as in, Liquid Nitrogen cooling).

I'd suggest the Sabertooth or P9X79.

*edit*

Or, if you aren't planning on using all 8 RAM slots, check out the Rampage IV Formula.

Ok sure. In regards to overclocking how hard is it? I can give it a go but I'm worried I'll screw up and break something. The place I've been looking at parts can offer a bundles which are already done. They only offer two and this is the other.

Gigabyte X79 G1 Assassin 2 Intel X79. Would this still be a challenging one?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Thats pretty nuts. I've replace the 3970X with a overclocked 3930K. Also changed the motherboard and ram.

New build - Works out at £200/$300 cheaper.

- CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.20GHz @ 4.40GHz CPU
- Motherboard: Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79 DDR3 Motherboard
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C10 1600MHz
- Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalem CPU Cooler - Black
- EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Superclocked 2GB
- Corsair Professional Series HX+ 750W
- Samsung 128GB SSD 840 PRO SATA 6Gb/s
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s
- Asus BC-12B1ST BluRay-Rom / DVD-RW Drive OEM

All out on the CPU but gimping the HDDs? I'd go with:
1. Single 256 GB SSD.
2. Cheapo 500GB-1TB drives on RAID1 for safe storage if you don't have one of those in another PC already.
3 Add a second SSD in the future and junction steam to it if you need it.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
All out on the CPU but gimping the HDDs? I'd go with:
1. Single 256 GB SSD.
2. Cheapo 500GB-1TB drives on RAID1 for safe storage if you don't have one of those in another PC already.
3 Add a second SSD in the future and junction steam to it if you need it.

I'll probably go for the 256 GB since I've saved cash by changing cpu. Got 4 spare 1TB drives ready to go so I can use them for a RAID.

appaws

Banned
Solid. I'd suggest the Arc Midi R2 over the Switch though. You save money and it's every bit as good, if not better.

Unless you have any chance of wanting to do any custom water cooling in the future, then the switch is pretty awesome.

I have the water cooling bug....and I am regretting that I built my system into a Corsair 400r....7 months later and I am already looking to upgrade my case to something much bigger.

Ty4on

First, Kennah, apologies in advance for this.

For other folks, TripT Custom Cases just recently announced the 'Compact Splash' as available for purchase. Would make a killer ITX case even without a full loop in mind.

Sucks it can only support SFX PSUs. The ST450SF-G is pretty noisy at idle and the ST450SF fan starts off at a lower RPM, but doesn't stay there :/

Fan%20speed%20curve%20comparison%20with%20ST45SF-G%20&%20ST45SF.jpg

Lanbeast

Okay, which of those Corsair cases should I get? I'm going to be building the enthusiast variety some time after Haswell releases but I don't know that I should pass up 50% off of those.

edit: I'm leaning towards the 500R.

edit 2: Nevermind, the cases I was looking at are sold out.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Thanks. What colour should I get?

Oh geez... They have a custom color option. They just want to kill people with indecision, don't they?
Definitely white out of the three regular colors, but if you were to go custom... Well, an orange like the one they have in the picture looks really nice. Plus weren't you really wanting the orange Prodigy before? Or that Subaru blue we were talking about earlier would probably be quite nice. I could also see some crazy color like neon green working well for that case since it's so tiny... Gah. I sure hope you're better at making decisions than me, because I would never be able to decide. Haha

I have the water cooling bug....and I am regretting that I built my system into a Corsair 400r....7 months later and I am already looking to upgrade my case to something much bigger.

Or much smaller? :p

Kipp

I've been shopping for two months for this. Yeah. Colour is going to take a while.

Haha. Well best of luck.

Fake edit: Oh you've got to be kidding. I just noticed that you can choose a custom color for the side panel too. And I thought the decision was already difficult. Haha

Real edit: Oh. Just noticed they have a render of the case in a dark blue: http://www.craftograph.com/compactsplash/image/cache/data/compactsplash-06-900x600.jpg
Not really a fan of that after seeing it. If it were me buying the case, I'm pretty sure I'd go with a neon green or some shade of orange.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Friends trying to sell this tower to me for 400, only a few months old because he switched to a macbook and never uses it anymore

My laptop is shit, so I've been looking into a new desktop, and I just wanted to know if it was a decent deal and if I should upgrade anything. I'm not planning to run much on it, but like, I might do Bioshock Infinite on it, and it'll be for pc exclusives as I plan to get a PS4 at the end of the year

3.8 GHz FX-Series Quad-Core FX-4100
8 GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6670

mkenyon

Banned
Ok sure. In regards to overclocking how hard is it? I can give it a go but I'm worried I'll screw up and break something. The place I've been looking at parts can offer a bundles which are already done. They only offer two and this is the other.

Gigabyte X79 G1 Assassin 2 Intel X79. Would this still be a challenging one?
Oh oh, okay, so since someone is building it the Rampage IV Extreme is a good choice.

There's just a few things that need to be tweaked upon first installing it to even get it to run. Can be a PITA for beginners.
Unless you have any chance of wanting to do any custom water cooling in the future, then the switch is pretty awesome.

Arc Midi R2 can actually handle the same amount of radiator space as the Switch. It's *that* good.

I needed a new PC, thanks thread for providing much reading. I'm now the proud owner of a ridonkulous beast of a machine. currently trying to see how much memory I can use by loading up huge high-quality sample banks in cubase - basically, how close can I get to a full orchestra one instrument at a time? and I've still only hit about 8gb used of 32 :D Reckon I could get it up to 16 if I tried hard enough. Need more sample banks though!

First, Kennah, apologies in advance for this.

For other folks, TripT Custom Cases just recently announced the 'Compact Splash' as available for purchase. Would make a killer ITX case even without a full loop in mind.

Holy crap that is one sexy little box. Since I do a lot of audio recording around my PC I splashed out on a "quiet" case, the Fractal Design R4:

There's something delightfully monolithic about it that appeals to the 2001 fan in me.

Hey guys,

I am thinking of going with this
--
Cooler Master GeminII S524
WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive
Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB)
AS Rock LGA1155 Z77 EXTREME4 - ASRock
Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 -
Corsair Professional Series AX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX850)
Nvidia Titan
--
I'd like to lower the price a bit, but I am not sure where to lower the spec (changing the GPU is not on the table). Any suggestion of something I could maybe change to slightly lower the price point?

I also wanted to maybe upgrade to 64 GB of RAM at some point, but looking more into it, it seems the 3770k does not allow it?
The first intel CPU which allows 64GB is the 3930k? Damn. If I decided to go nuts and go with that instead, what would be a good motherboard?

Heads up for those looking for computer cases:

Corsair is having 50% off their refurbished cases. I bought a 650D for $65 and $35 shipping ($100 total) vs $170 on Newegg.

http://www.corsair.com/us/outlet-store/outlet-cases.html

use the promo : spring2013

Everything sold out :(

Also, I'm looking at upgrading my case as well and since I love quiet I was looking at the Fractal design r4 as a candidate. Can anyone tell me how the airflow is in this case? Or if there are better options in terms of airflow and noise? Currently I'm using a CM Storm Enforcer.

asdad123

Just replaced the thermal paste on the H80i with Arctic Silver 5, temps dropped a little. Its in the high 60s,low 70s under Prime with 4.3ghz at +.15 offset. Are those temps alright for this cooler?

Irobot82

Hey PC GAF, I finally got around to re-wiring my build. I also moved my water cooler to the front using a mod someone mentioned. In order to have enough room I basically gutted one 120mm fan and used its shell then screwed it onto another fan then the radiator. I think it turned out rather nice.

Sydle

I needed a new PC, thanks thread for providing much reading. I'm now the proud owner of a ridonkulous beast of a machine. currently trying to see how much memory I can use by loading up huge high-quality sample banks in cubase - basically, how close can I get to a full orchestra one instrument at a time? and I've still only hit about 8gb used of 32 :D Reckon I could get it up to 16 if I tried hard enough. Need more sample banks though!

Holy crap that is one sexy little box. Since I do a lot of audio recording around my PC I splashed out on a "quiet" case, the Fractal Design R4:

There's something delightfully monolithic about it that appeals to the 2001 fan in me.

Mmmmm, I have this case as well. I love it.

Friends trying to sell this tower to me for 400, only a few months old because he switched to a macbook and never uses it anymore

My laptop is shit, so I've been looking into a new desktop, and I just wanted to know if it was a decent deal and if I should upgrade anything. I'm not planning to run much on it, but like, I might do Bioshock Infinite on it, and it'll be for pc exclusives as I plan to get a PS4 at the end of the year

3.8 GHz FX-Series Quad-Core FX-4100
8 GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6670

Assuming it includes windows it's not a bad price, you should see if he can give you a more detailed part list though.

mkenyon

Banned
I've said it before, but I'll say it again.

The Define R4 is the best case under $200. I'd take it over anything else in that category. So classy, so quiet, so spacious.

Irobot82

Damn, I have one squirrely core. Core 3 runs about 10C hotter than the rest. Ran Prime95 torture test and max on it was 72C. The others were 65, 62, and 60.

This was a Core i5 3570K @ 4.4Ghz 1.224v

Last edit: Min temps are 28 on three cores and 27 on one. Temp is about 68F ambient.

mkenyon

Banned
Damn, I have one squirrely core. Core 3 runs about 10C hotter than the rest. Ran Prime95 torture test and max on it was 72C. The others were 65, 62, and 60.

This was a Core i5 3570K @ 4.4Ghz 1.224v

Last edit: Min temps are 28 on three cores and 27 on one. Temp is about 68F ambient.
That's Ivy for you. Here's how Scogoth fixed it:

I've said it before, but I'll say it again.

The Define R4 is the best case under $200. I'd take it over anything else in that category. So classy, so quiet, so spacious.

Sorry ahead of time if this sounds like a noobish question, but does that also mask the GPU cooler sounds as well? My card seems to make a pretty noticeable noise when it reaches over 50% fan speed so I'm wondering if this case will help mask that sound as well. This would be awesome in setting up my fan profiles. Obviously I wont be hitting 100% fan speed but I heard the sweet spot for this card is around 50-55%

Kipp

Hey guys. mkenyon is a really great guy to help spend your money for you. Just so you know.

Seconded. I think every single piece of my build is directly mkenyon approved except for my Cooler Master keyboard which was indirectly approved by being in the OP. Haha. I guess I know who to blame if I'm dissatisfied or have a problem! :p
Also, I really ought to get a "mkenyon approved" sticker to slap on my PC.

kennah

Seconded. I think every single piece of my build is directly mkenyon approved except for my Cooler Master keyboard which was indirectly approved by being in the OP. Haha. I guess I know who to blame if I'm dissatisfied or have a problem! :p
Also, I really ought to get a "mkenyon approved" sticker to slap on my PC.

Dude, probably 30% of my computer is going to be his direct hand me downs :)

Sleeping on the case before I hit order tomorrow. Look like dark subaru blue for the colour and my kid's names combined for the nameplate.

And a purple power button.

mkenyon

Banned
Little do you guys know, I'm actually just Hazaro's puppet/minion.

Thanks though, I'm blushing. :p
Sorry ahead of time if this sounds like a noobish question, but does that also mask the GPU cooler sounds as well? My card seems to make a pretty noticeable noise when it reaches over 50% fan speed so I'm wondering if this case will help mask that sound as well. This would be awesome in setting up my fan profiles. Obviously I wont be hitting 100% fan speed but I heard the sweet spot for this card is around 50-55%
It sure does. The case is lined in sound deadening material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom