• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogwai

Damn. I got a card from Sapphire. I really hope I wont ever have to deal with RMA.

How can 30-60 days ever be acceptable? I'm surprised that ASUS is so slow too.

bjaelke

Any reason to pick the Core i3 I3-3220 over the $20 cheaper I3-2120? There's a 10 watt difference (55 to 65) on the Thermal Design Point but that's about it(?)

red731

Hello guys,

I am seriously thinking about spending crazy amount of money on new computer.
This here, is the image with parts I am now decided. - I am thinking about.
I would like to hear some opinions on what should I change, what to add and other things that I've maybe missed.

I haven't build PC for more than 10 years and am on laptop now, which main function is gaming and raw photo editing (about that - it chugs).

Please leave a reply anywhere - here or pm...
When I would finaly get into buying new PC, maybe it would be great to have someone on skype hotline too, haha.

Thank a bunch

ed: nice warranty table - I will opt for Gigabyte hd7970 ultra durable then.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Final tweaks, if nothing changes my mind until the 26th. I decided against getting any HDD for now. I can deal with the limited capacity when I wouldn't benefit in speed as the 10000+ rpm HDDs are too expensive so I'll later get an SSD instead. I also added a cheap 2.1 speaker setup for when I'm showing things to others or don't care to use headphones.

Alextended said:
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced - 131,98 €
Gigabyte Z77-D3H - 114,49 €
Intel Core i7 3770K - 309,90 €
Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 2x8GB - 99,80 €
Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 3GB OC - 395,00 €

LG 1080p LED 22EA63V - 172,61 €
Microsoft 600 Black Wired Keyboard - 11,75 €
Logitech Speaker System Z323 - 42,41 €

Total: 1277,94 €

Plus my old stuff:
CoolerMaster Real Power M700 PSU
2x250GB Seagate HDDs
250GB Storejet Transcend
LG DVDRW
Logitech G400
Crypto Wireless USB Adapter (yeah, I know, but it's worked 100% fine so far)
I'm not missing any parts other than things like thermal paste, right?

By the way, will Windows 7 crap out if I just stick these HDDs from my current PC as they are in the new setup or do they deal with that kind of change elegantly enough (outside manually removing and adding drivers)? It's not a deal breaker, I'm just curious if I could skip the trouble of reinstalling everything but Steam games (which are on HDD #2).

Hello guys,

I am seriously thinking about spending crazy amount of money on new computer.
This here, is the image with parts I am now decided. - I am thinking about.
I would like to hear some opinions on what should I change, what to add and other things that I've maybe missed.

I haven't build PC for more than 10 years and am on laptop now, which main function is gaming and raw photo editing (about that - it chugs).

Please leave a reply anywhere - here or pm...
When I would finaly get into buying new PC, maybe it would be great to have someone on skype hotline too, haha.

Thank a bunch

ed: nice warranty table - I will opt for Gigabyte hd7970 ultra durable then.

I just built more or less the same thing (GTX 660 instead of the 7970, I needed CUDA for CS 5.5) and it works REALLY well with 16MP raw file in Adobe Lightroom and even just rendering previews in windows explorer. I think I can notice a nice upgrade when compared to my i7-2600k and 8gb of RAM on my work machine.

red731

I just built more or less the same thing (GTX 660 instead of the 7970, I needed CUDA for CS 5.5).....

Would CUDA help even in AcdSee Pro 6? With said raw file editation or even video rendering and processing?
Great! How is everything in 1080 with somewhat stable FPS? I am going from laptop i5 2.53ghz, 5650m and 4gb ram. I just can't imagine smooth games...
I hope this PC would be enough for Oculus Rift supported games.

Earendil

I'm getting a new work PC and was hoping it would be decent enough to run Starcraft 2. It's skewed heavily toward development instead of graphics, so I'm mainly concerned about the GPU.

Dell XPS 8500
i7-3770
32GB RAM (that's not a typo)
Radeon 7570 1GB
460W PS (according to specs)

Can the PS be upgraded? If not, would a 460W PS be ok for a 7870 or a GeForce 650Ti?

BFA

Ugh, a good online friend of mine finally decided to join the PC bandwagon, but he has been having many troubles trying to start his brand new computer up, and I am unable to help him in person. If anyone from the LA area can assist him with his first build, I will be really grateful. PM if you are willing!

Ty4on

Any reason to pick the Core i3 I3-3220 over the $20 cheaper I3-2120? There's a 10 watt difference (55 to 65) on the Thermal Design Point but that's about it(?)

Ivy Bridge seems to be around 5-10% faster clock for clock. You can see it compared to some Sandy Bridge i3s including the 2125 here. The i3 2125 has the same clock speed and performance as the 2125 , only difference is the integrated graphics is better which makes no difference if you have a GPU.

Edit:
I'm getting a new work PC and was hoping it would be decent enough to run Starcraft 2. It's skewed heavily toward development instead of graphics, so I'm mainly concerned about the GPU.

Dell XPS 8500
i7-3770
32GB RAM (that's not a typo)
Radeon 7570 1GB
460W PS (according to specs)

Can the PS be upgraded? If not, would a 460W PS be ok for a 7870 or a GeForce 650Ti?

PSU is short for power supply (unit) and while a 460W one can run a 7870 (running a 4.2Ghz 3570k and a 7870 from a 450W as we speak) it depends on how much of those 460W can go through the 12W rail. At the very minimum you could go for a 7750 as it doesn't need extra power (6/8pin PCI-e) and runs on the power from the PCI-e slot. SC2 also isn't a very GPU demanding game and can be run on low settings with integrated graphics. Games with lot's of stuff on the screen want a good CPU and the 3770 is a very good gaming CPU.

Anandtech got 65 average FPS in SC2 on ultra at 1650x1050 with the 7750, 36 at 1920x1200 with 4xMSAA so unless you need the very highest settings it should run the game fine. If it can handle a 7850/7870 though then that is a much better card for the money.

Earendil

PSU is short for power supply (unit) and while a 460W one can run a 7870 (running a 4.2Ghz 3570k and a 7870 from a 450W as we speak) it depends on how much of those 460W can go through the 12W rail. At the very minimum you could go for a 7750 as it doesn't need extra power (6/8pin PCI-e) and runs on the power from the PCI-e slot. SC2 also isn't a very GPU demanding game and can be run on low settings with integrated graphics. Games with lot's of stuff on the screen want a good CPU and the 3770 is a very good gaming CPU.

Anandtech got 65 average FPS in SC2 on ultra at 1650x1050 with the 7750, 36 at 1920x1200 with 4xMSAA so unless you need the very highest settings it should run the game fine. If it can handle a 7850/7870 though then that is a much better card for the money.

Thanks for the info. I may have to wait until the warranty expires to do anything (I'm pretty sure my boss would be pissed if I voided the warranty), so I'll see how well SC2 runs on the 7570 for now.

MisterNoisy

Wondering if anyone could help me on this?

Thinking about buying GTX 660 http://www.ebuyer.com/397601-asus-g...l-dvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-gtx660-dc2o-2gd5 but I'm a bit worried about it fitting in my case. It seems quite big.
I have the Antec All Black 302 case http://www.ebuyer.com/391870-antec-all-black-300-case-0-761345-15321-8

Anyone have this case/ card that could possibly enlighten me?

According to your second link, the case has room for a 318mm/12.5" long video card. That ASUS card is 260mm/10.2" long, so it should fit

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Put a build together. Any changes recommended? Upgrade/downgrade?

1. Intel Core i7-3970X 3.50GHz
  2. Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler
  3. EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2048MB or EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Superclocked 2048MB
  4. MSI X79A-GD65 (8D) Intel X79
  5. Crucial RealSSD M4 256GB
  6. Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
  7. Asus 24x DVD±RW
  8. Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 650W V2
  9. Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz
  10. Corsair Graphite 600T Midi Tower Case - Limited Edition White

Total = £2,001 with the GTX 670
Total = £2,109 with the Superclocked GTX 680

Would CUDA help even in AcdSee Pro 6? With said raw file editation or even video rendering and processing?
Great! How is everything in 1080 with somewhat stable FPS? I am going from laptop i5 2.53ghz, 5650m and 4gb ram. I just can't imagine smooth games...
I hope this PC would be enough for Oculus Rift supported games.

Not sure. My guess would be no for the RAW CUDA acceleration. All of those programs seem to live and die by the CPU and RAM AND the speed of your drives.

Most video editing programs do take advantage of CUDA or OpenCL acceleration in a big way though (i.e. cutting render times in half or more). Definitely make sure you you know whether your workflow is going to benefit from it or not. However, once you are taking advantage of GPU acceleration, it seems like the difference between a $200 and a $500 card is seconds.

That is why (when budget matters) the first thing I would save on is the graphics card. For me that was a 660 instead of a 660Ti, which allowed me to afford an i7-3770k. I can always upgrade my card later, but right now I have a great CPU that makes a much bigger difference to me in photo/video.

Of course that is pretty much opposite from the gaming min-max (lower CPU/RAM, higher GPU).

f3niks

I just ordered all the parts for this machine Friday. I can't wait to get to work on this

6oxDhZy.png

and this case
11-119-245-TS

mrklaw

MrArseFace
last call

PCPartPicker part list http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/JE93

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler (£46.66 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (£89.12 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£45.49 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.56 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£100.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£239.39 @ Aria PC)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case (£62.16 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Be Quiet 530W modular PSU (£65.00)
Total: £869.32

CPU cooler I went back and forth but I have a soft spot for Noctua and it should be quieter than the H60 at low speeds. Should fit that motherboard. I realise also that motherboard doesn't have CPU voltage tweaking, but it should still overclock reasonably and its £30 less than the next one up, the ASRock X77-E.

mkenyon

Banned

7. Asus 24x DVD±RW

I have a hard time recommending any X79 motherboard outside of ASUS and a few of the ASRock boards. It seems like just about everyone had a swing and a miss on X79. MSI, Gigabyte, and EVGA all have widely reported issues.

Go with one of the P9X79s, Sabertooth, or ASRock Extreme 6/9.

Also, I'd suggest a different case, something from the OP. The 600T is pretty loud and has some design flaws that make it perform much worse than the competition.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I have a hard time recommending any X79 motherboard outside of ASUS and a few of the ASRock boards. It seems like just about everyone had a swing and a miss on X79. MSI, Gigabyte, and EVGA all have widely reported issues.

Go with one of the P9X79s, Sabertooth, or ASRock Extreme 6/9.

Also, I'd suggest a different case, something from the OP. The 600T is pretty loud and has some design flaws that make it perform much worse than the competition.

How about this board - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-487-AS

And this case - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-076-NX

Zeth

I'm about to order some mod keycaps from WASDkeyboards for my CM Quickfire Pro. Will they fit? They don't have to be perfect regarding height/shape/etc.

asdad123

photo-5_zps66d0a587.jpg

It lives! Changed to a H80i instead of a H60 at the last minute.

Temps at load seem pretty good. Maxed out at 50C during load, but at idle they are around 40C. Shouldnt it be less than that at idle?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm about to order some mod keycaps from WASDkeyboards for my CM Quickfire Pro. Will they fit? They don't have to be perfect regarding height/shape/etc.
Yep. Cherry caps are cherry caps.
It lives! Changed to a H80i instead of a H60 at the last minute.

Temps at load seem pretty good. Maxed out at 50C during load, but at idle they are around 40C. Shouldnt it be less than that at idle?
Entirely depends on your OC settings. Volts? Frequency? Speedstepping? Offset?

Zeth

Yep. Cherry caps are cherry caps.

Sweet! I'm really happy with the overall value of the Quickfire Pro, but it is pretty damn ugly now that I think about it. Found some pretty amazing looking mods, but I don't know if I'll go that far. Might at least replace all or some keycaps, though that could very well bring the total cost much closer to a new keyboard :p

mkenyon

Banned
How do we like the Fractal Node? I'm not sure I like where the PSU goes
Which one? 605 or 304?

304's PSU placement is pretty smart. Similarly shaped cases put the PSU in a place to where you can't even access the motherboard with it installed. Moving it to where it's at allows for long GPUs without impeding any sort of component access.

kennah

Which one? 605 or 304?

304's PSU placement is pretty smart. Similarly shaped cases put the PSU in a place to where you can't even access the motherboard with it installed. Moving it to where it's at allows for long GPUs without impeding any sort of component access.

Yeah 304. The Orange Prodigy isn't in stock but the Black Node 304 is. Now to google to see if the 212 will fit inside.

asdad123

What's your ambient room temp?

70F so about 21C. Definitely think I messed something up. Right now im at a +.15 offeset and 4.0ghz OC and my temps are about 80C during prime95.

Wonder what it could be, the thermal paste?

Might have gotten it. I heard the H80i fans were pretty loud, so I bought different fans, guess they werent too good. Im using the fans that came with the H80i, and im idling at 28-32C and max load at 69-75C. Thats a little better. Should the H80i be used as an intake or exhaust? I have it as an exhaust in the back of the case, and then an intake in the bottom and front.

Im using a Define R4 if it makes a difference.

mkenyon

Banned
Aha :p

How about the Fractal Define R4 in Arctic White? Add two Arctic Cooling F12s as well to get the cooling up to par. Put those in the front of the case, move the stock fans to the upper rear.

kennah

Just make sure your GPU/PSU will fit together in the Node 304. If you go modular you gotta make sure the GPU won't interfere with the plugs. Side view of my 304.

Yeah, saw that. I'm pretty sure I could make mine work. It has enough plugs on the open side. I'd be opening the box in store and getting my paws all over it first anyway. Takes a few hours to properly go case shopping.

Lian Li PC-6B Midi Tower
Intel i5 3570k (3.40GHz)
EVGA GTX680 4GB SLI
Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
WD Green 2TB HD
Samsung 840series 120GB SSD
Corsair 8GB 1600mhz DDR3 Vengeance
Corsair 650W TX ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU
Coolmaster Hyper 212 EVO

Caved and added a SSD for the OS as recommended.

For the more informed posters here, will this last me for a good while into next gen, if I'm playing in 1080p only and on one monitor?

I like to run settings as high as possible and generally vsync, so that's a factor. I'm hoping aside from maybe the processor that this will last at least 2 years before it starts running into any problems. Parts are being dispatched today - can't wait!

Tattooth

I'm getting my new motherboard tomorrow and I was wondering if I need to reinstall windows after I swap the new one in. Does changing vendors matter, and is there anything I can do to keep my current windows installation.

last call

PCPartPicker part list http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/JE93

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler (£46.66 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (£89.12 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£45.49 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.56 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£100.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£239.39 @ Aria PC)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case (£62.16 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Be Quiet 530W modular PSU (£65.00)
Total: £869.32

CPU cooler I went back and forth but I have a soft spot for Noctua and it should be quieter than the H60 at low speeds. Should fit that motherboard. I realise also that motherboard doesn't have CPU voltage tweaking, but it should still overclock reasonably and its £30 less than the next one up, the ASRock X77-E.

I basically bought the exact same stuff only with the ASRock mobo (which has yet to arrive :p), and my setup cost me 920 all in all (stupid Aria PC shipping fees, should have ordered the grafx and cpu together).
Oh, and a different case, which is a secret.

kennah

I basically bought the exact same stuff only with the ASRock mobo (which has yet to arrive :p), and my setup cost me 920 all in all (stupid Aria PC shipping fees, should have ordered the grafx and cpu together).
Oh, and a different case, which is a secret.

SHARE YOUR ITX SECRETS WITH US

Oh, alright then:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...ni-ITX+Case+?productId=54731&source=skinflint

You have to be careful when selecting the GPU/PSU though (or you lose out on 1-3 hard drive cages, or end up without the GPU fitting even), but I chose this over Bitfenix Prodigy because it was within my budget and half the height (Coolermaster Elite 120 was tempting at half the price, but it seems pretty shoddy).
I'll post temperature measurements once I got everything assembled come monday.

Katyusha

Lian Li PC-6B Midi Tower
Intel i5 3570k (3.40GHz)
EVGA GTX680 4GB SLI
WD Green 2TB HD
Coolmaster Hyper 212 EVO

For the more informed posters here, will this last me for a good while into next gen, if I'm playing in 1080p only and on one monitor?

I like to run settings as high as possible and generally vsync, so that's a factor. I'm hoping aside from maybe the processor that this will last at least 2 years before it starts running into any problems. Parts are being dispatched today - can't wait!

Nice!

To answer your question, I think that would definitely last 2 years or more. 680's are very powerful cards, especially in SLI.

I mean, Square Enix's next-gen tech demo was running on 1 680 at 60 fps, and I know we probably won't be seeing that kind of optimization in PC ports but that just gives you an idea of the potential these cards have.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

7. Asus 24x DVD±RW

I'd drop to a 3930K unless you need the extra cache for something.
Drop that money towards a Titan
840 Pro over M4
TX650W? Get modular at least, what are you doing! Seasonic 550W G series is a touch more. You can spring for HX650 / X650 / AX650 or their 750W models if you like.
Lian Li PC-6B Midi Tower
Intel i5 3570k (3.40GHz)
EVGA GTX680 4GB SLI
WD Green 2TB HD
Coolmaster Hyper 212 EVO

A single or dual 680 SLi?

I'd get a better PSU for sure (see OP)... probably bump the mobo up to a $200 one like the MSI MPOWER / ASUS Gene

And yeah any GPU that costs >$250 I'm sure will be quite fine for a while.

asdad123

70F so about 21C. Definitely think I messed something up. Right now im at a +.15 offeset and 4.0ghz OC and my temps are about 80C during prime95.

Wonder what it could be, the thermal paste?

Might have gotten it. I heard the H80i fans were pretty loud, so I bought different fans, guess they werent too good. Im using the fans that came with the H80i, and im idling at 28-32C and max load at 69-75C. Thats a little better. Should the H80i be used as an intake or exhaust? I have it as an exhaust in the back of the case, and then an intake in the bottom and front.

Im using a Define R4 if it makes a difference.

Just tried switching it to an intake on the h80i. Temps are still in the 70s under Prime95 and +.15 offset at 4.3ghz.

Do I maybe screw up the install on the heatsink? Should I try to reapply it with different thermal paste.

My max after 15 minutes of prime was 74/75 on Core #0 and Core #3 and 82/80 on Core #1/Core#2

Vossler

In the midst of a bit of a rebuild, added a second 670 gtx, and new case. Question is, I just came upon some of this ram for a steal of price from a buddy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589

My motherboard is an ASrock p67 extreme gen4, which says it supports up to 2100 mhz. I have an i5-2500k O'cd to 4.5, but I am thinking that this ram is not compatible with the mobo.

Anyway, looking for a possible upgrade in Mobo, but don't want to buy a new cpu yet. Looking at the z77 boards, but not sure it would be worth the upgrade. Prefer a white/black/red color if possible. Worth it to upgrade now, or wait til I upgrade my cpu as well? Leaning towards just waiting and keeping the ram tucked until then.

mkenyon

Banned
It should be compatible. Motherboards supporting RAM speeds is a marketing deal. Anything above 1333MHz is an overclock, and anything above 1600 cannot be enabled via XMP. So, you have to tinker a bit at times to get RAM to where it needs to be, and it also depends on silicon lottery as far as your internal memory controller is concerned.

When they sell 2133MHz RAM, what they mean is that 'we have binned this RAM to run at 2133MHz', it doesn't mean, "this RAM will run a 2133MHz in YOUR setup'.

So what I'm saying is, it will most certainly work, but running at the advertised speed will depend on a number of factors, none of which is motherboard compatibility.
Just tried switching it to an intake on the h80i. Temps are still in the 70s under Prime95 and +.15 offset at 4.3ghz.

Do I maybe screw up the install on the heatsink? Should I try to reapply it with different thermal paste.

My max after 15 minutes of prime was 74/75 on Core #0 and Core #3 and 82/80 on Core #1/Core#2
Sounds like a bad mount. Did you tighten it in a X pattern? Number the screws 1-4 clockwise, and you should be going 1-3-4-2, 1-3-4-2, etc.

Try putting the stock fan on there as well, it's a better performer than the cluster

Vossler

Hmm, ok, makes sense. I tried it last night, and even ran the XMP profiles (these profiles were at 2286 and 2400 mhz, however, did not think it would work, but tried anyway) that the BIOS picked up, but it wouldn't POST correctly. I manually entered in the 10-12-12-31, and selected 2133 as well as 1866 but still to no avail. PC would turn on, but no signal would be output unless I cleared the CMOS. It would only run it at 1333, whereas my current ram runs at 1600. Also noticed that the PC upon reboot would take 2/3 times to actually power on.

Any tips/guides you guys have come across? Looked at youtube for my board, didn't see much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom