• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Semi-related to my previous query then, this is what I am debating right now. I just want to get NeoGAF's final sign off on it, and, since I came in about $80 under-budget with shipping, make sure that there are no minor changes that I could make that could increase performance.

asdad123

For anyone with a H80i and ASRock Extreme 4, word of advice..

You're going to need a set of four washers to hold the bracket in securely. I guess the Extreme4 is a little thinner than other mobos and the bracket wont secure correctly. I was getting temps of 70-75c under load at 4.3ghz with a +.15 offset, and once I put the washers in, I am now gettin a max temperature of 54C under Prime 95 while the fans are on quiet mode. Love it!

mkenyon

Banned
Semi-related to my previous query then, this is what I am debating right now. I just want to get NeoGAF's final sign off on it, and, since I came in about $80 under-budget with shipping, make sure that there are no minor changes that I could make that could increase performance.
Unless you absolutely need a DVD drive, I'd say drop that. If you can throw money at it, then go ahead and add more SSD space :p

mkenyon

Banned
They're generally the same fan as 120mms, but just scaled up in size. This creates all sorts of strange issues that end up with fans which produce greater noise at similar CFM levels compared to their 120mm counterparts. They need to be designed *as* 140mm fans in order to get the same kind of performance and noise characteristics that good 120s have.

The only 140mm fans that are recommended often are BGears Blasters with in-line voltage limiters to get them around 800RPM, Rosewill Hyperboreas, and Cougars.

kharma45

Gigabyte 7970 is voltage locked fyi, if you want to get one of theirs try to get the 1100MHz one.

I'd swap the PSU to this too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119 - Also worth noting too if you want a more silent unit then there is these two options (both are identical internally bar brand name and wattage)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207029

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

XFX is a great price if the MIR goes through ok, although truth be told you'll probably be more than happy with the G-550 unit as those two are overkill power wise unless you really want a quiet unit. I would also change the RAM to low profile stuff http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233280 and look about getting a bigger SSD as mkenyon said.

Unless you absolutely need a DVD drive, I'd say drop that. If you can throw money at it, then go ahead and add more SSD space :p

Unfortunately, I do. Thought's on upgrading to a gtx 680, since more and more I have been pondering (eventually) going sli, and with crossfire issues being what they are right now...
Gigabyte 7970 is voltage locked fyi, if you want to get one of theirs try to get the 1100MHz one.

I'd swap the PSU to this too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119 - Also worth noting too if you want a more silent unit then there is these two options (both are identical internally bar brand name and wattage)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207029

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

XFX is a great price if the MIR goes through ok, although truth be told you'll probably be more than happy with the G-550 unit as those two are overkill power wise unless you really want a quiet unit. I would also change the RAM to low profile stuff http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233280 and look about getting a bigger SSD as mkenyon said.

I chose that card because mkenyon recomended it to me... Seeing as how it would just fit within budget, in your opinion, would a 680 be a better selection?

Also, looking at the PSU's, yes, it's overkill right now, but it is the same price because of newegg sales, and since I may be tempted to sli in the future...

IMG_20130315_220202.jpg

Ooookay, I think I got everything I need.
Just gonna turn an USB-stick into a Windows 8 boot disc.
Got my CPU paste, got a screw driver kit, and got all the components.

See you guys in 5-6 hours!

MisterNoisy

IMG_20130315_220202.jpg

Ooookay, I think I got everything I need.
Just gonna turn an USB-stick into a Windows 8 boot disc.
Got my CPU paste, got a screw driver kit, and got all the components.

See you guys in 5-6 hours!

Looks like it's going to be a very sweet lil build. I'm curious as to how tight the Node case is.

kennah

Yep, Node 304.
Didn't get a nice box shot out of it cause I had to take it out to see if it was small enough.
It's fat and long, but height is fine so I'm all good.

This is just like putting together a lego set hopefully.

Awesome. Almost bought one of those before deciding to throw my life away on the Splash lol. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

KBm.jpg
(Actual items)
Looking to sell these two together if possible, both components were used for about... 3 or 4 weeks.

1x used i5 3570k (Batch#3221C033 for anyone looking for specific batches). Although it's an unlocked CPU it was never overclocked. Includes original box and unused stock cooler (An aftermarket cooler was used when it was active)
1x used Seasonic 80+ M12II 620W PSU. No longer has original box, but module cables, bag, power plug included.

$225 (Paypal) shipped for both items to US addresses

Hell of a deal in the BST thread right now.

Oxn

Good for entertainment things, but not good for gaming. Is there a specific model, which you have in sight?

Dell, or Sony ones.

I don't really plan on buying one, but it just seems sooo neat. Its compact, touch screen, relatively good price for everything included, and with Haswell itll have a good internal IGP.

I was thinking of maybe buying it as a present.

kharma45

Unfortunately, I do. Thought's on upgrading to a gtx 680, since more and more I have been pondering (eventually) going sli, and with crossfire issues being what they are right now...

I chose that card because mkenyon recomended it to me... Seeing as how it would just fit within budget, in your opinion, would a 680 be a better selection?

Also, looking at the PSU's, yes, it's overkill right now, but it is the same price because of newegg sales, and since I may be tempted to sli in the future...

Na stick with the 7970 but get the Gigabyte one clocked at 1100MHz not 1000MHz if you can.

brentech

Finished connecting the PC together. Successful POST.
Do need to order a DVI-DVI cable since the brand new monitor did not supply it >.<

Also ordering a new mouse and maybe keyboard and then I gotta wait on an NFL GAF friend to see if he can land me Win8 from a MS friend. Will post some pictures of the system later tonight or this weekend.

If you can stomach the price difference yes. Being voltage locked you're limited with overclocking.

Nope, still within my price range, though I will admit that I panicked when I added it to the list, turns out I had forgotten to remove the other card first. Any other thoughts about my PSU question from earlier?

Guys... which of these are the "stand-offs" that I put the motherboard on? :p

IMG_20130315_234207.jpg

These came with my case, it says in the instructions "Mount the motherboard using the provided motherboard standoffs and screws". Are they referring to the stuff in the pic or should I check what came with the motherboard?

This is going go be fine!

kharma45

Nope, still within my price range, though I will admit that I panicked when I added it to the list, turns out I had forgotten to remove the other card first. Any other thoughts about my PSU question from earlier?

It's up to yourself. I'd definitely change to the G 550 at, same price as the one you'd listed but it's a Gold rated one. As for the other two I posted, they're extremely good units and are semi passive (at idle they are silent and I think up until 30% load there is still no fan) but of course cost a lot more relatively than the G series. You'll not go wrong with either, just depends on whether you want to pay more for silence and more headroom (which isn't really needed on a single GPU set up).

I've actually one last suggestion too, this Seasonic 80+ Platinum unit, works out at the most expensive after MIR by $5 but is another option

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151121

Awful lot of DOA reviews here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131471

Are the stock fans in a Shinobi XL case good enough, or do I need extra fans? It comes with two 230mm fans and a 120mm fan. If I need extra fans, what brand do you all recommend? For reference, the case will have a 650W power supply, GTX670, and i5-3750k in it

Very interested in making this PC quiet.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
Guys, I need to buy a PC but I can't into PCs. I want a PC gaming rig. Basically I want to be able to run any game until now at high-ultra settings. I will have it for 2 years only, so there is no need to future-proof beyond that (if such thing is even possible). I have been looking through the OP and I think the "enhanced" build in Hazaro's spreadsheet fits my needs. Do you see it ok? Too much? Too little? What's the difference between a 660Ti and a 670? Worth the extra $? Do I need to buy speakers or do monitors have them built-in (I'm asuming not)?

In order to make things easier for all of you I filled the required info:

Price range: anything that gets the job done, preferably not above 800-900$
Main Use: Light Gaming:1, Gaming:5, Emulation (PS2/Wii):5, Video Editing:1, HD Streaming:3, 3D/Model work:1, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback):5.
Monitor: I have no clue here. I would be getting a new one, but I don't know where is the difference between the budget, standard and enhanced picks. I don't care about 120Hz, just want decent image quality and reliability.
Games I need to run well: The witcher 2. Able to keep steady 30 fps, 60fps if possible.
No part reusing
When will you build?: As soon as possible, but I could hold off a month
Will you be overclocking?: No

Thanks for your replies!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I tweaked my intended buy a little more...

Please let me know if something looks off with it...

I'm not sure about the case, motherboard and monitor...

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced 131,98 &#8364;
Mobo: Gigabyte Z77-D3H 114,49 &#8364;
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K 309,90 &#8364;
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600 99,80 &#8364;
GPU: Gigabyte HD7970 OC 395,00 &#8364;

Theral paste: Basic Coolermaster IC Value V1 2,39 &#8364;

Keyboard: Microsoft 600 Wired 11,75 &#8364; (I don't like fancy keyboards, just looking to replace my old MS Multimedia)
Speakers: Logitech Z323 2.1 42,41 &#8364;

Monitor: LG LED 22EA63V 172,61 &#8364;

Total: 1280,33 &#8364;

Mouse: keeping Logitech G400.
Optical: keeping some LG DVDRW.
PSU: keeping CoolerMaster Real Power M700.
HDD: keeping 2x250GB Seagates + 250GB Storejet.
I will get an SSD and a surround headset later at some point.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Guys, I need to buy a PC but I can't into PCs. I want a PC gaming rig. Basically I want to be able to run any game until now at high-ultra settings. I will have it for 2 years only, so there is no need to future-proof beyond that (if such thing is even possible). I have been looking through the OP and I think the "enhanced" build in Hazaro's spreadsheet fits my needs. Do you see it ok? Too much? Too little? What's the difference between a 660Ti and a 670? Worth the extra $? Do I need to buy speakers or do monitors have them built-in (I'm asuming not)?

In order to make things easier for all of you I filled the required info:

Price range: anything that gets the job done, preferably not above 800-900$
Main Use: Light Gaming:1, Gaming:5, Emulation (PS2/Wii):5, Video Editing:1, HD Streaming:3, 3D/Model work:1, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback):5.
Monitor: I have no clue here. I would be getting a new one, but I don't know where is the difference between the budget, standard and enhanced picks. I don't care about 120Hz, just want decent image quality and reliability.
Games I need to run well: The witcher 2. Able to keep steady 30 fps, 60fps if possible.
No part reusing
When will you build?: As soon as possible, but I could hold off a month
Will you be overclocking?: No

Thanks for your replies!
Enhanced with a 7870 will suit your needs.

Monitor you could nab this since it's a bit cheaper than $150: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117

They're generally the same fan as 120mms, but just scaled up in size. This creates all sorts of strange issues that end up with fans which produce greater noise at similar CFM levels compared to their 120mm counterparts. They need to be designed *as* 140mm fans in order to get the same kind of performance and noise characteristics that good 120s have.

The only 140mm fans that are recommended often are BGears Blasters with in-line voltage limiters to get them around 800RPM, Rosewill Hyperboreas, and Cougars.

Huh, good to know.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
If you can stomach the price difference yes. Being voltage locked you're limited with overclocking.

In my experience overclocking a video card is pretty pointless. The gains are extremely small. 10% if your lucky... if the game is already struggling at 30 fps, that's 3 additional frames for all the trouble. A cpu sure, but a video card... just never saw the payback!

t-ramp

Installing Windows 8 on my Phenom II X4 945 + 4830 rig I put together at the moment. Hopefully I can get everything working okay, planning on hooking it up to my TV and maybe replaying Skyrim on lowish settings if I can. If something goes amiss I might just swap one of my 6870s into it from my main PC, seeing as CrossFire is apparently fucked.

Thanks a lot for your fast answer. Another question, that monitor has a vertical 1080 resolution. Is that a standard resolution for a PC? I ask you this because I keep seeing 1050 in benchmarks.
Yes, 1920 x 1080px is probably the most popular resolution.

DeVeAn

I currently have a GTX 570. What card can I get that gives the best performance per dollar that is better than the 570? I am on i5 2500K cpu.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Installing Windows 8 on my Phenom II X4 945 + 4830 rig I put together at the moment. Hopefully I can get everything working okay, planning on hooking it up to my TV and maybe replaying Skyrim on lowish settings if I can. If something goes amiss I might just swap one of my 6870s into it from my main PC, seeing as CrossFire is apparently fucked.

Just make sure you install this :

http://www.classicshell.net/

That metro interface is just too ghetto...

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Hmm Well since I want to stay away from AMD I guess waiting is the best option.

The 680 is faster but its not a HUGE upgrade. The real successor to the 580 is more in line with the Titan.. but the price performance ratio is ridiculous. If the performance was 3 times the 580 I would bite, but its not even close... So yeah waiting for next gen.

Ty4on

Thanks a lot for your fast answer. Another question, that monitor has a vertical 1080 resolution. Is that a standard resolution for a PC? I ask you this because I keep seeing 1050 in benchmarks.

1080p is the most common res in the Steam Survey. 1650x1050 was a very common 16:10 resolution so it's just benchmarkers being lazy with upgrading hardware.

Eugh, I think I got myself an incompatibility between PSU and GPU:

The graphic card had two power slots, one which is 6 pins and one that is 8 pins, and I managed to fit a PSU cable into the 6-pin one, leaving the 8-pin:

IMG_20130316_022840.jpg

Square, Rhombus, Rhombus, Rhombus
Rhombus, Rhombus, Square, Square

These are my two remaining ones (and I presume one of them goes into the 8-pin power slot I got on my mobo):

IMG_20130316_023013.jpg

1: Square, Rhombus, Rhombus, Square
Rhombus, Square, Square, Rhombus

2 (which are two 4-pin cables):
Rhombus, Rhombus, Rhombus, Square
Rhombus, Rhombus, Square, Rhombus

Do I need another PSU (if so, which one should I get?), or is there an adapter of sort I could order?

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card

Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

t-ramp

Eugh, I think I got myself an incompatibility between PSU and GPU:

The graphic card had two power slots, one which is 6 pins and one that is 8 pins, and I managed to fit a PSU cable into the 6-pin one, leaving the 8-pin:

Square, Rhombus, Rhombus, Rhombus
Rhombus, Rhombus, Square, Square

These are my two remaining ones (and I presume one of them goes into the 8-pin power slot I got on my mobo):

1: Square, Rhombus, Rhombus, Square
Rhombus, Square, Square, Rhombus

2 (which are two 4-pin cables):
Rhombus, Rhombus, Rhombus, Square
Rhombus, Rhombus, Square, Rhombus

Do I need another PSU (if so, which one should I get?), or is there an adapter of sort I could order?

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card

Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Those cables are for the CPU power connection on your motherboard. Look for a 6-pin connector that has an extra 2-pin dangling off of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom