• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-ramp

the two individual 4 pins go into the mobo 8 pin, and the other into the video card. I have the same card and psu, that 8 pin is actually a 6 pin + 2 on the end
Are you sure? I think they're both CPU connectors in his photo. Why you'd need two on a 550W PSU, I don't know.

Those cables are for the CPU power connection on your motherboard. Look for a 6-pin connector that has an extra 2-pin dangling off of it.

Muuuch appreciated!
Found the connector you were talking about and plugged it in.

Yes, I am seeing the disadvantages of a non-modular PSU, it's a jungle of cables at the moment :p
The 8-pin did not fit, so it does indeed look like I have 2 8-pin (4+4+8) connectors.

Shall I mash in the two DDR3 sticks while I'm at it?

The CPU-fan is frikking massive, so I'm thinking that it might be best to plug in most of the cables and stuff before playing around with it.

So, on the Fractal R4... is the front panel supposed to come off? Not the hinged door, but the ~1.5" plastic bit behind it.

Mine is sort of hanging detached from the aluminum part of the case, and I can't figure out how to get it to stay on. I think something might be broken. :(

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Cross posting, hope no one minds. But once that new 670 arrives, I won't have any need for my old card. It's a Zotac GTX570 AMP! Edition with 1.2GB VRAM. It's never given me issues. That said, I have over clocked it off and on over the last ~18 months I've had it. It runs fine, but it does run quite warm, which I've heard is normal, but I found weird. I have the box....somewhere. Anyhow, I'd like to offer it up, and am open to any reasonable offers if anyone is interested :) If anyone isn't interested but has a fair price in mind let me know so I can attach a price!

asdad123

Seem to be having a problem.. Built the PC two days ago, everything worked fine. Today, I turn on my PC, and the graphics cards fans are going full speed and wont detect video.

I connect the HDMI into the motherboard and it works, but the fans are still going full blast and the video card isnt detected.

Any ideas?

Its a ASRock Extreme4 and GTX570

kennah

NoRéN;50322372 said:
PSU fan started clicking. Anything to worry about?

What kinda clicking? Did the computer get jostled and a cable knocked into it? It's probably worth taking a look. How old is the PSU and what kind is it? Have you cleaned recently?

mkenyon

Banned
Seem to be having a problem.. Built the PC two days ago, everything worked fine. Today, I turn on my PC, and the graphics cards fans are going full speed and wont detect video.

I connect the HDMI into the motherboard and it works, but the fans are still going full blast and the video card isnt detected.

Any ideas?

Its a ASRock Extreme4 and GTX570
Could be that Bitcoin mining Trojan.

kennah

First post from the i5-2550K. Still at stock until I get it all warmed up and broken in. Still installing drivers.

SSDs are fast.

Now to choose which 4 of my 7 SATA devices I can continue to use....

NoRéN

What kinda clicking? Did the computer get jostled and a cable knocked into it? It's probably worth taking a look. How old is the PSU and what kind is it? Have you cleaned recently?

Clicking like something hitting plastic?

New PSU, just build this PC in December. Shutting down computer and restarting made it stop. Pretty weird.

kennah

No....

This is hype.

OHGODWHATHAVEIDONE.png

I ordered "2002 Dark Subaru Blue - 95H Blue Ridge Pearl"

and "kennah" on the nameplate.

So fucking stoked.

Salaadin

Is CrystalDiskInfo a good utility to do a quick check on an SSD?
I bought an open box SSD from newegg and Im just running some quick checks on it to make sure its good. This is what Im seeing:

I also ran a file recovery tool to view any previous files and partitions on the drive. Looks like there were 2 partitions before me, both appear to only contain system files, nothing else.

Any second opinions on this? I have 30 days to return it but Im not building until June so I have to troubleshoot now.

kennah

LOL. Maybe I should just go to bed.... Anyone else see the problem in this picture? I'm glad I noticed NOW and not in a week or two.

image.png

asdad123

Could be that Bitcoin mining Trojan.

I didn't even go on any website except for gaf on it yet. I was getting everything set up.

Looks like its a common problem with the ASRock Extreme 4 board through. The card isn't even recognized in the bios. Back to micro center tomorrow :/

So P8z77-LK or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H? Rather no go with the asrock again due to what I read up on the Troubles.

mkenyon

Banned
I didn't even go on any website except for gaf on it yet. I was getting everything set up.

Looks like its a common problem with the ASRock Extreme 4 board through. The card isn't even recognized in the bios. Back to micro center tomorrow :/

So P8z77-LK or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H? Rather no go with the asrock again due to what I read up on the Troubles.
Flash BIOS first.

Does anyone have experience with a graphics card that has one broken pci gold finger connector? Someone is offering me a good deal but not sure of I should take it if this causes some serious malfunctions.

kennah

Does anyone have experience with a graphics card that has one broken pci gold finger connector? Someone is offering me a good deal but not sure of I should take it if this causes some serious malfunctions.

Don't do it. It's worth the extra money to not live in fear.

Ah, well I've put together the PC now.
Unfortunately, nothing is showing up on the screen (and the case fans aren't working).
The CPU fan is working fine though, the power button is working, and the LEDs on the side of the case are also activating.

Have tried with an HDMI-cord in both the motherboard and GPU HDMI-out. Will check through the manual and see if there's anything I've missed.

Unfortunately, nothing is showing up on the screen (and the case fans aren't working).
The CPU fan is working fine though, the power button is working, and the LEDs on the side of the case are also activating.

Have tried with an HDMI-cord in both the motherboard and GPU HDMI-out. Will check through the manual and see if there's anything I've missed.

The case fans are powered by a molex connector. You need to connect the front and back fans to the fan controller in the back of the case. If you aren't getting video, try taking out your gpu and using the onboard HDMI/DVI output.

Guys, I'm having a bit of an issue. About a week ago, I started noticing stuttering while playing back videos and now it seems like I have some strange things going on with the video when I'm visiting web pages. Any idea what the hell this is?

JvjdcZ6.png

lPr6rLx.png

TTWdB66.png

It's very overpriced for what it is. You could do a whole lot better building one yourself (check the OP).

I would but I'm having it bought for my brother as a graduation gift so it would need to be prebuilt. I know prebuilt's come with a premium but just want to make sure I'm not getting too ripped off with this PC.

mkenyon

Banned

Reseat graphics card, unplug and replug in the power to the side of it. Ensure that your case fans are plugged in as well.
Guys can I get your input on this prebuilt? Thinking of getting it for my brother.
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=6979401&pid=1218818469722

Cheers,
Buy an X51.

mkenyon

Banned
Pics from Mr Pocket's build:

4RsZk9i.png

msMJnPZ.png

This motherboard is gorgeous. Makes me want to build one with a Lightning card and everything.

LowParry

Sooooo, my build is complete and I fail so hard taking pics here. Meh. But there is this shiney button that glows on the Sapphire 7950 card. Is this a boost feature of the card or...?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm looking at either an i5 or an i7. Mostly I just want my computer faster in general. I may play some stuff like Bioshock Infinite on it, but I intend to buy a PS4 when those come out. Should I just go with the i5?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
128GB Samsung 840 pro, or 250GB Samsung 840? Only £18 difference between the two. I realise the 840 has lower write speeds, but would it be noticable in normal use? 128GB would mean OS + apps, games would need to be installed on my HDD. 250GB would mean I could install at least some of my games on the SSD

(Steam makes it a bit easier to move games around these days?)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
couple of questions about the bitfenix prodigy case

1) if you fit an optical drive in the bitfenix prodigy, is there any way to fit the blanking plate back on the drive so its more discreet? ordered a white prodigy but the drive is black. On my previous silverstone LC17 the blanking plate had adhesive pads to stick to the front of your drive so it was hidden away.

2) is there a way to retrofit air filters on the GPU vent and front intake (and possibly the rear exhaust if the H60 is set up as intake)? Want to keep the dust down as much as possible but it seems like the only filter is on the bottom intake for the PSU

damaph

Guys, I'm having a bit of an issue. About a week ago, I started noticing stuttering while playing back videos and now it seems like I have some strange things going on with the video when I'm visiting web pages. Any idea what the hell this is?

JvjdcZ6.png

lPr6rLx.png

TTWdB66.png

Did you overclock your GPU's memory at all? Looks like some content on your VRAM might be corrupted.

Mogwai

I'm looking at either an i5 or an i7. Mostly I just want my computer faster in general. I may play some stuff like Bioshock Infinite on it, but I intend to buy a PS4 when those come out. Should I just go with the i5?

The i5-3570k is pretty much as good as i7-3770k for gaming. But for multicore processes, the 3770k has hyperthreading making it a better choice. I built myself a new rig with i5-3570k a few months ago and it works great.

In your case I'd say go for an i5. It will be fine for Infinite, assuming you have a decent GPU, that is.

Stubo

that'd be crazy until you see what the 780 needs. It might even need less power than whatever you currently have. Your current PSU will handle a Titan for example.
I should clarify, my PSU doesn't support SLI, and I'd be looking to go for SLI 780s. But I still think my upgrade itch is ridiculous this far from the launch of the product.

It's just this thread, it does something to me. So many pretty builds!

sk3tch

I should clarify, my PSU doesn't support SLI, and I'd be looking to go for SLI 780s. But I still think my upgrade itch is ridiculous this far from the launch of the product.

It's just this thread, it does something to me. So many pretty builds!

Supporting SLI is just getting certified by NVIDIA and going through their process. It doesn't necessarily mean that your PSU won't support it if it does not have the badge.

If you're going to "upgrade" - you may as well go bigger than your plan. But I say stand pat until the card you want is out, as PSU prices will likely drop and better PSUs will be available.

I know how it is, you started out with more bang/buck parts and now you have a feeling of inferiority...heh. I did it with my very first build (after being out of building PCs for years) in '09 and now I've lost my mind. So, choose your path...wisely. :)

Stubo

Supporting SLI is just getting certified by NVIDIA and going through their process. It doesn't necessarily mean that your PSU won't support it if it does not have the badge.

If you're going to "upgrade" - you may as well go bigger than your plan. But I say stand pat until the card you want is out, as PSU prices will likely drop and better PSUs will be available.

I know how it is, you started out with more bang/buck parts and now you have a feeling of inferiority...heh. I did it with my very first build (after being out of building PCs for years) in '09 and now I've lost my mind. So, choose your path...wisely. :)
My current PSU only has 2 6+2 pin connectors, not the required 4 - so it's much more than the badge unfortunately :(

While what you say is sort of true, I do have a 670 already...but the upgrade itch is a curse I must bear!

sk3tch

My current PSU only has 2 6+2 pin connectors, not the required 4 - so it's much more than the badge unfortunately :(

While what you say is sort of true, I do have a 670 already...but the upgrade itch is a curse I must bear!

Why not go SLI now? Pick up a new PSU of your choosing and nab a good priced, used, 670. If it were me (go big or go home) I'd get a Seasonic X-1250 or a Corsair AX1200i PSU. That way, you have a huge cushion should you decide to do an exotic build in the next 1-2 years.

It's not what you need, by any means - and others can help you do the bang/buck thing...but it will give you a premium part you can carry over from build to build for quite some time.

Stubo

Why not go SLI now? Pick up a new PSU of your choosing and nab a good priced, used, 670. If it were me (go big or go home) I'd get a Seasonic X-1250 or a Corsair AX1200i PSU. That way, you have a huge cushion should you decide to do an exotic build in the next 1-2 years.

It's not what you need, by any means - and others can help you do the bang/buck thing...but it will give you a premium part you can carry over from build to build for quite some time.
Oh you are a bad man! You and your tri-tans certainly aren't helping my temptation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom