• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk3tch

Antec, but by your answer I'm assuming that it's cutting it close and therefore a 650 would be more appropriate.

Personally, if you're going to be doing some OC'ing, I would always go minimum 600w

Agreed.

Yeah, if you have not already purchased one, I'd say go 650 or higher. This site is the premium source for PSU reviews:

http://www.jonnyguru.com

If they review it highly, you are set.

The PSU is such an important part and one of the easiest to move from build to build without worrying about future changes...if you can swing a few extra bucks and get a better unit...do it.

Irobot82

I didn't even go on any website except for gaf on it yet. I was getting everything set up.

Looks like its a common problem with the ASRock Extreme 4 board through. The card isn't even recognized in the bios. Back to micro center tomorrow :/

So P8z77-LK or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H? Rather no go with the asrock again due to what I read up on the Troubles.

The ASRock BIOS is easy to updated, you can do it inside the BIOS itself.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I'm having doubts to whether I've gone for the correct graphics card. I've got on order the Asus GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP.

Would I be better going for the Asus GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II 4096MB? I'll be playing on a single monitor at 1080p. I'm thinking of further down the road with Battlefield 4 and others. Or should I stick with the 680 and later in the year pickup a second one for SLI?

680 : Core: 1137MHz, Memory: 2048MB 6008MHz GDDR5, Stream Processors: 1536, Shader Clock: 2274MHz

670 : Core: 915MHz, Memory: 4096MB 6008MHz GDDR5, Stream Processors: 1344, Shader Clock: 1830MHz

sk3tch

I'm having doubts to whether I've gone for the correct graphics card. I've got on order the Asus GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP.

Would I be better going for the Asus GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II 4096MB? I'll be playing on a single monitor at 1080p. I'm thinking of further down the road with Battlefield 4 and others. Or stick with the 680 and later in the year pickup a second one?

For 1080p you won't need to worry about the 2GB VRAM in that 680...and that's a sweet 680. If you decide to go higher resolution down the road, you're probably better serviced by selling your 680 at that time and upgrading to a newer card. The 680 is faster and, if anything, that is what you need at 1080p, not more VRAM.

kennah

Excite.

Ordernumber.png

Now to get the rest of the WC parts... Too bad I can't post a WTB on overclock.net. Heh.

Ty4on

couple of questions about the bitfenix prodigy case

2) is there a way to retrofit air filters on the GPU vent and front intake (and possibly the rear exhaust if the H60 is set up as intake)? Want to keep the dust down as much as possible but it seems like the only filter is on the bottom intake for the PSU

There are magnetic fan filters for sale some places. Silverstone make some, but I don't know what would be the best fit for the GPU intake. The top fanmounts on the Prodigy case is also filtered, most put exhausts there, but using it as an intake doesn't make much of a difference (fans>law of thermodynamics). You could put the H60 as an intake there and put an exhaust fan in the rear that would exhaust most of that hot air along with the GPU air.

Mokubba

Just ordered the parts for my first build and I'm pretty excited.

DesktopBuild_zpsdc3dbb29.jpg

Is there anything that looks out of place or anything else I should get or look to get?

Just ordered the parts for my first build and I'm pretty excited.

DesktopBuild_zpsdc3dbb29.jpg

Is there anything that looks out of place or anything else I should get or look to get?

Hmm is your mobo an ATX or mATX? Cause it looks like you're trying to get an ATX motherboard for an mATX case. Unless i read that wrong

outsidah

Bah.

Just replaced my 560Ti which was giving me issues with a Sapphire 7950. I have an issue where every time the monitor goes to sleep it stays that way. Stays black. Apparently this seems to be an issue with some of the current AMD cards?

I saw some resolutions to remove power saving modes down to the PCIE, but short of removing the monitor shutdown function, is there any confirmed fix?

I don't have the time for this so I'm thinking of just returning the card if this is a nagging issue.

What card would you all recommend that isn't more than $300? 660Ti?

asdad123

Okay.. I am officially at a loss. I built my PC Tuesday morning, everything was great. Then out of nowhere, when I turned on my computer yesterday morning, the fan on the graphics card begins blasting 100% and there is no signal.

Everything works fine when I plug the HDMI into the motherboard, but the card is not recognized anywhere (Bios, Device Manager). I first thought it was my motherboard since there were problems online that PCI cards werent recognized sometimes on an ASRock Extreme4, so I went to exchange is for an Asus P8Z77-V, and still nothing.

As i speak, the graphics card is blasting 100% fan, and Im plugged into the motherboard for video. Any idea?

I have a GTX570 and my Power Supply is this..

I bought the card on here so its not like I can return it to the store. I put it into my brothers computer, and theres no signal from it, but the fans dont blast 100% on his computer for some reason.

Any ideas?

img_2138jpucv.jpg

Parts came today. Aside from the cooler. Thinking of building monday. Is the Coolmaster 212 strictly necessary if I'm running the i5 3570k stock?

I'm a little bit daunted fitting that, and I only picked one up as it was very cheap recently on Amazon.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
img_2138jpucv.jpg

Parts came today. Aside from the cooler. Thinking of building monday. Is the Coolmaster 212 strictly necessary if I'm running the i5 3570k stock?

I'm a little bit daunted fitting that, and I only picked one up as it was very cheap recently on Amazon.

That looks like an excellent build. Lots of quality parts in that pic.

You'll be okay with the stock cooler at stock speeds. But you should definitely install the aftermarket cooler when it arrives; keeps temps in check - and will give you room to OC down the line.

kharma45

img_2138jpucv.jpg

no need for the 212 at stock.

That looks like an excellent build. Lots of quality parts in that pic.

You'll be okay with the stock cooler at stock speeds. But you should definitely install the aftermarket cooler when it arrives; keeps temps in check - and will give you room to OC down the line.

Cool I'll probably just install the Cooler anyway, I'm sure it can't be that hard. Really looking forward to breaking into my old backlog of Steam games, and Bioshock obviously. I think Steam Sales and Indie Community were the two biggest reasons for wanting a new build, rather than the obvious graphical advantages.

asdad123

Need some quick advice.

Corsair TX750M
Corsair HX750
Silencer MKIII

Which one of these power supplies would be the best? In at the store right now lol

mkenyon

Banned
Okay.. I am officially at a loss. I built my PC Tuesday morning, everything was great. Then out of nowhere, when I turned on my computer yesterday morning, the fan on the graphics card begins blasting 100% and there is no signal.

Everything works fine when I plug the HDMI into the motherboard, but the card is not recognized anywhere (Bios, Device Manager). I first thought it was my motherboard since there were problems online that PCI cards werent recognized sometimes on an ASRock Extreme4, so I went to exchange is for an Asus P8Z77-V, and still nothing.

As i speak, the graphics card is blasting 100% fan, and Im plugged into the motherboard for video. Any idea?

I have a GTX570 and my Power Supply is this..

I bought the card on here so its not like I can return it to the store. I put it into my brothers computer, and theres no signal from it, but the fans dont blast 100% on his computer for some reason.

Any ideas?
The 570 requires 38amps on the 12V rail. Your PSU is a multi rail with 20 on one and 23 on the other. It might be the culprit.

asdad123

The 570 requires 38amps on the 12V rail. Your PSU is a multi rail with 20 on one and 23 on the other. It might be the culprit.

Okay thanks. I just picked up a silencer MK III 850w power supply so hopefully it works.

Edit:

Looks like its the graphics card... Replaced the mobo and the power supply and it still doesn't work.

I just bought myself an SSD and holy shit. I think it's the best thing I've bought for my PC yet. The difference between my new SSD and my old HDD is beyond what I was expecting.

I just bought myself an SSD and holy shit. I think it's the best thing I've bought for my PC yet. The difference between my new SSD and my old HDD is beyond what I was expecting.

It's the best investment you can make for general computer use. There is nothing that improves your PC experience as much.

I'd like to make my PC a bit quieter, what are some good case fans that are low-noise? And is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 generally quieter than the stock cooler that comes with the intel CPUs? I think I might get one of those too.

Akai__

I'd like to make my PC a bit quieter, what are some good case fans that are low-noise? And is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 generally quieter than the stock cooler that comes with the intel CPUs? I think I might get one of those too.

The Hyper 212 is more quite, than the stock cooler, yes. It also let's you OC your CPU, if you want to do that.

I don't really know about case fans, but someone else will help you with that.

Got my PC and putting in the rest of the build. HDD okay though the HDD caddy on the Phantom 410 was a bitch to use. Not a good case I feel except for the fan options.
Anyway, I have a big problem. When I get the Bios up it is oversized; that's to say all I see is the middle of it, the rest is 'outside' the frame. I'm plugged in via the HDMI on the mobo to my TV (via a Sony A/V amp which isn't on at the moment). The mobo is an Asus P8Z77-V LK, which seems pretty popular. And I have never had this problem with the 4 PC's I've built before.

Obviously I need to see the bios properly, particularly as I need to tell the bios to go to the PCI for my GTX670 to work otherwise I don't get a picture from it as the Intel HD 4000 is the current choice. All I get when I try to use the GTX670 is a black screen (the driver went in flawlessly).
So what do I do? Should I try connecting to a monitor via VGA? Should I turn off the Maintain Disply Scaling? Should I disable the HD 4000 vie device manager wth my card in and ready?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

asdad123

So since the card I bought seems to be dead, Im looking for a new card. Are the next generations of cards coming out any time soon? I dont want to buy a $300 card and then new ones come out two-three months later.

The rest of my specs are:

i5 3570k
16gb ram
P8Z77-V
Silencer MK-III 850Watt PSU

Any good deals going on right now?

kharma45

So since the card I bought seems to be dead, Im looking for a new card. Are the next generations of cards coming out any time soon? I dont want to buy a $300 card and then new ones come out two-three months later.

The rest of my specs are:

i5 3570k
16gb ram
P8Z77-V
Silencer MK-III 850Watt PSU

Any good deals going on right now?

The new range of GPUs is due out starting from Q4 2013.

So, on the Fractal R4... is the front panel supposed to come off? Not the hinged door, but the ~1.5" plastic bit behind it.

Mine is sort of hanging detached from the aluminum part of the case, and I can't figure out how to get it to stay on. I think something might be broken. :(

Anyone have any ideas on this?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Does anyone have the Hydro H60? I want to put a fan on the rear but I'm not going to have any room with the H60.

I've noticed on some other builds they have the fan facing in with the radiator to the outside but others with the fan outside and the rad inside.

So does the fan basically behave the same as any other fan but has the additional effect of being connected for liquid cooling to the CPU?

Would this fan setup be ok?

Sorry for the noobish questions. My first build. >_<

t-ramp

Now to get the rest of the WC parts... Too bad I can't post a WTB on overclock.net. Heh.
I could make one if you wanted.

Does anyone have the Hydro H60? I want to put a fan on the rear but I'm not going to have any room with the H60.

I've noticed on some other builds they have the fan facing in with the radiator to the outside but others with the fan outside and the rad inside.

So does the fan basically behave the same as any other fan but has the additional effect of being connected for liquid cooling to the CPU?

Would this fan setup be ok?

Sorry for the noobish questions. My first build. >_<
Yeah, that looks fine. You can put the fan on either side of the H60's radiator, or both if you have an extra fan.

kennah

I could make one if you wanted.

Yeah, that looks fine. You can put the fan on either side of the H60's radiator, or both if you have an extra fan.
That'd be awesome! I'll pm you the details. Wasn't sure if something like that breaks protocol

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned

Thats great. Luckily I ordered an extra 120mm led fan to replace the one which came with the H60 so now I'll use the original on the outside and the led inside.

I'm looking so forward to building this. All the contents is in the warehouse and should be with me Tuesday. I might post progress pictures so you guys can see if I'm doing the right thing lol.

It was a pain in the ass to build though due to the non-modular PSU, and some incompatibility issues between the CPU cooler and MOBO (buy another CPU cooler, like any of the H60/80/100 ones, if you wish to replicate this build).

Oh, and I should have installed the CPU Fan bridge thingy before I had installed most of the other components :p

IMG_20130316_010514.jpg

A nest of snakes:

IMG_20130316_040626.jpg

But, it's all working just fine now, windows 8 got installed in just a matter of minutes really - so all I got to do now is to keep it running and check the temperature.

IMG_20130316_192030.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can't you install that cooler turned 90 degrees? Ideally you want to have it in line with the airflow.

Don't think you can avoid a rats nest with that case though - maybe bundle some together or like you say, a modular PSU with a short cable kit.

If your tv doesn't have it you can fake it once your drivers are installed
Well, when my GTX670 is installed the Bios shows up fine. However I can not get my 670 working. The start up screen shows and the windows icon but then nothing. I change the graphic device from the iGpu \9which I believe is the Intel HD4000) to PCI-E but the screen is black. I tried with PCI and the screen is black. I really doubt my card is dead, the fan runs and it's only 6 months old and only been moved once. So I'm kinda' at a loss.
I appreciate the help so far. Never had this kind of problem before.

kennah

Well, when my GTX670 is installed the Bios shows up fine. However I can not get my 670 working. The start up screen shows and the windows icon but then nothing. I change the graphic device from the iGpu \9which I believe is the Intel HD4000) to PCI-E but the screen is black. I tried with PCI and the screen is black. I really doubt my card is dead, the fan runs and it's only 6 months old and only been moved once. So I'm kinda' at a loss.
Weird. You've tried different ports/a monitor?

Can't you install that cooler turned 90 degrees? Ideally you want to have it in line with the airflow.

Don't think you can avoid a rats nest with that case though - maybe bundle some together or like you say, a modular PSU with a short cable kit.

Unfortunately it wouldn't fit at that angle (GPU in the way) I am hoping for the airflow going in an L-shape.
So far my GPU is at 58'C (actually, 36 C right now) resting, am installing Witcher 2 to check the temperature during slightly more intense usage.
Gonna install some general temp. measuring programs.

Took me some time to figure out how to get into desktop mode on Windows 8 btw :p

EDIT: Realtemp is giving me four numbers of 25-35 C. I guess that's the four CPU cores?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Most likely. Try stressing your CPU and keeping an eye on temps

You can always put a H60 on in place of the rear exhaust fan if it comes to it.

Unfortunately it wouldn't fit at that angle (GPU in the way) I am hoping for the airflow going in an L-shape.
So far my GPU is at 58'C (actually, 36 C right now) resting, am installing Witcher 2 to check the temperature during slightly more intense usage.
Gonna install some general temp. measuring programs.

Took me some time to figure out how to get into desktop mode on Windows 8 btw :p

EDIT: Realtemp is giving me four numbers of 25-35 C. I guess that's the four CPU cores?

Yep

Get Prime95 to push it so you can see how well your cooler is doing and later on do some OCing

DTKT

Alright, will give prime95 a go once I've finished updating all the drivers.
What sorta temperatures should I be looking for?

Prime95 doesn't represent real-life. No game will max out every core, you'd need some 1080P encoding for that. It's just a tool to simulate max load and check if the OC or the cooler is able to withstand the heat. If it's okay with Prime, it's going to be fine for pretty much anything else. As for numbers, I guess it depends on the CPU, your OC and the cooling solution. Between 60-70 seems like a reasonable goal for a mild OC and a good cooler.

Irobot82

I remember when I build my PC and did the first boot it never loaded because I was connecting my GPU via HDMI to a monitor. Try hooking your computer up using a dvi to a monitor or a dvi to vga to a monitor/tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom