• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTKT

I ran it for 4 hours, but you should do it for at least 10 hours apperantly (ideally, 24).

Played some Planetside 2 at maximum settings/vsync/etc and it ran butter smooth. CPU was at 43C and GPU at 60 C.

That good?

Need to check how to enable FPS-counter in-game.

Alt-F for Planetside show the FPS and what is currently bottle necking the game near the bottom left of your screen. And yes, those are good temps.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I wouldn't run that long. Run 10 minutes on Prime95, then 30 minutes with linpack with AVX (OCCT has this, but doesn't work with Windows 8).

Then you can do something overnight. Why? Because one may hit instability in minutes while the other runs hours.

kennah

in other news - the CM Storm Spawn a good deal for$20 after rebate? (30 before)? Or should I just save up for a Sensei Raw

I wouldn't run that long. Run 10 minutes on Prime95, then 30 minutes with linpack with AVX (OCCT has this, but doesn't work with Windows 8).

Then you can do something overnight. Why? Because one may hit instability in minutes while the other runs hours.

Oh h cool I just passed the 10 minute mark with no errors at 4.5GHz. Awesome.

Alt-F for Planetside show the FPS and what is currently bottle necking the game near the bottom left of your screen. And yes, those are good temps.

It showed me 59FPS, dipping to 49FPS in certain scenes, and said GPU (though it might have said CPU, wasn't looking closely).
Is that on-par for a HD 7950?

I guess I'll wait with overclocking until I want to see more performance, a la console power unlocks mid-gen.

MY7ID5q.jpg

teh_pwn

I guess motherboards do matter (when they work anyway). Z77 Sabertooth got Ivy to 4.6 GHz with 1.22V VCore without a single hick and the absolute max temp was 70C. I'm too tired to try any faster, probably doesn't matter. That or I won the CPU lottery hard.

kennah

Probably both. MOtherboards do make a big difference. The Sabertooth series has serious power regulation features. Allows further clocks. Really 4.5 out of an ITX... I can't complain about that. Could probably push it a bit further, but I leave my computer on 24/7 so no point. This'll be a massive upgrade from my Q6600 anyway :D

Edit:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6202161
P8484

My previous score was P5870.

iqubal

Banned
When I build my comp, what do i do with the ssd? install windows on there or install games on there?

Most ppl install the Operating system on the SSD (Windows), and have another regular HDD for games etc. You could also install some games on the SSD depending on storage space etc.

So I got my new PC today, these are the specs:

CPU:Intel i7 3770
GPU:AMD Radeon 7570
RAM:8GBs
Storage: 1TB Hard-Drive
PSU:600 Watts

Does this seem fine to you guys? I plan to upgrade to Windows 8 later, and maybe buy an SSD and definitely getting a new GPU, I plan to go with either an AMD 7950 or a Nvidia 670.

This isn't really for gaming, but I will game on it, I mostly bought this for Video and Photo editing, and After Effects (and for the hopefully real, Halo 3 Steam Port)

I also want to ask, are SSD's really worth it? I'm fine with a long/longer start up and loading times, do SSD's give any other benefits aside from that? If it makes editing better, I'll definitely get one.

And, is there any way to still get Windows 8 for cheap? I got Windows 8 for my laptop for $15 through some promotion, would love to get it for that again, or even for $40, anything but $100+

clav

Such a bad time to want to build a PC right now.

My 2007 build died earlier this year, and I've been waiting for the new AMD and Intel CPUs.

Been staring at the Intel i3-3220T (35 W TDP) for the whole week.

Yes power consumption is important to me.

dat electricity bill

I also want to ask, are SSD's really worth it? I'm fine with a long/longer start up and loading times, do SSD's give any other benefits aside from that? If it makes editing better, I'll definitely get one.

It's mostly loading times, but that makes your PC feel faster in ways you wouldn't necessarily expect. Opening any program, opening/copying/moving files, multitasking, etc. My home PC feels a lot snappier than my work PC due to the SSD, even though the work PC has a pretty recent i5 in it.

I don't have any screws in my flat, they're all back in my parents' house. Is there any way I can attach my HDD to one of those HDD trays from Fractal without 6-32 screws? I don't feel like like trekking to my nearest PC shop on a Sunday to buy overpriced screws...

Trays look like this:

fractal_design_define_xl_hdd_bay.jpg

LowParry

So I'm a bit confused on my setup when it comes to configuration. Just to give you a quick nitty gritty on my new rig,

CPU: 3750K
GPU: 7950 Boost
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
SDD
RAM: SSkill Sniper DD3 1866

Loaded up Crysis and the game runs extremely sluggish from the beginning. Even at the lowest settings. So there's something I'm missing and I needed help. I'm pretty sure I did an update with all my bios and everything is on the latest drivers. I'm not sure where to go from here.

clav

I don't have any screws in my flat, they're all back in my parents' house. Is there any way I can attach my HDD to one of those HDD trays from Fractal without 6-32 screws? I don't feel like like trekking to my nearest PC shop on a Sunday to buy overpriced screws...

Trays look like this:

fractal_design_define_xl_hdd_bay.jpg

What size hard drive are we mounting here?

There's always tape, and you don't have to go to a PC shop for screws as there are hardware stores.

I would prefer that you mount hard drives with screws.

teh_pwn

Such a bad time to want to build a PC right now.

My 2007 build died earlier this year, and I've been waiting for the new AMD and Intel CPUs.

Been staring at the Intel i3-3220T (35 W TDP) for the whole week.

Yes power consumption is important to me.

dat electricity bill

I welcome Haswell knocking it out of the park, but realistically I'm guessing 10-30% over Ivy. The real gains should be in the new GPUs coming out in Q3-Q4. 1.5 years will be a full Moore's law 2x, or so we can hope.

Guys, I'm wondering, what's considered "hot"?

My CPU is at 60c right now, and my motherboard at 28c, playing Battlefield 3. Is that bad? Not sure what's considered bad. :p

DTKT

At what point should I be worried? I remember one time my Laptop got to 90c haha.

I'm also getting these temperatures from Speccy, is there anything better for getting temperature then Speccy?

Anything over 70 without overclocking is kind of suspect and if you are using the stock Intel cooler, you will be probably hit higher temperatures. I've been using CoreTemp for a while now.

It showed me 59FPS, dipping to 49FPS in certain scenes, and said GPU (though it might have said CPU, wasn't looking closely).
Is that on-par for a HD 7950?

I guess I'll wait with overclocking until I want to see more performance, a la console power unlocks mid-gen.

Looks good, Planetside 2 is definitely CPU bound. My 670 is barely used while my i5-750 is struggling even when OC'ed to 3.7. I really need to change my MB and get a 3570k.

teh_pwn

My CPU is at 60c right now, and my motherboard at 28c, playing Battlefield 3. Is that bad? Not sure what's considered bad. :p

I generally aim for 70C max under stress tests, though 80C should be fine. 90C is dangerous.

Anything over 70 without overclocking is kind of suspect and if you are using the stock Intel cooler, you will be probably hit higher temperatures. I've been using CoreTemp for a while now.

I am using the stock Intel Cooler. Haven't bought one myself. Maybe I should. Any recommendation?

Ty4on

Tjmax (when they shut down automatically to prevent damage) is around 100C on most chips. You'll be fine, you can even remove the heatsink while the CPU is stressed and it will just shut down automatically.
I am using the stock Intel Cooler. Haven't bought one myself. Maybe I should. Any recommendation?

K series CPU? If not then a different cooler is useless unless you find the stock cooler noisy. The CoolerMaster Hyper 212 is commonly recommended here for its low price.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I'm a bit confused on my setup when it comes to configuration. Just to give you a quick nitty gritty on my new rig,

CPU: 3750K
GPU: 7950 Boost
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
SDD
RAM: SSkill Sniper DD3 1866

Loaded up Crysis and the game runs extremely sluggish from the beginning. Even at the lowest settings. So there's something I'm missing and I needed help. I'm pretty sure I did an update with all my bios and everything is on the latest drivers. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Are you running in 1080p? Crysis might be running at 24Hz, can you check your screen refresh rate?

teh_pwn

this reminds me of a article i real awhile back....

Why Moore's Law, not mobility, is killing the PC

"Even counting a modest boost for the new Sandy Bridge CPU, performance is increasing at just 10 percent per year for desktops"

Okay, that's just wrong. Sandy Bridge was a massive jump over westmere. It was Ivy that was a mere 10%, but that was expected. What wasn't expected is Haswell, but it's not due to Moore's Law ending. All of the new transistors are going into the integrated graphics. If Intel had high performance x86 CPU competition, we'd have 8 core desktops. If software was being pushed on desktops instead of mobile, we'd have a need for 8 core desktops.

I work in software, and it's depressing how many applications are still single core intensive. The worst offender is Xilinx, which is a suite to compile FPGA designs. It takes hours, and it uses 1 core basically to compile a design for a chip that's about parallelism.

And the irony is I'm reading an article designed for 600x800 or 1024x768 resolution while the lastest smartphones are 1080p and iPad is some higher resolution and it's talking about computing being good enough for general use.

But I'm not holding my breath for the new GPUs. I might even just go to console land for a year with PS4 and return for AMD 9000 series when we get a die shrink. I upgraded last time with 6000 series and I feel like I'm in the tick of GPU releases and want to align with tocks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
"Even counting a modest boost for the new Sandy Bridge CPU, performance is increasing at just 10 percent per year for desktops"

Okay, that's just wrong. Sandy Bridge was a massive jump over westmere. It was Ivy that was a mere 10%, but that was expected. What wasn't expected is Haswell, but it's not due to Moore's Law ending. All of the new transistors are going into the integrated graphics. If Intel had high performance x86 CPU competition, we'd have 8 core desktops. If software was being pushed on desktops instead of mobile, we'd have a need for 8 core desktops.

I work in software, and it's depressing how many applications are still single core intensive. The worst offender is Xilinx, which is a suite to compile FPGA designs. It takes hours, and it uses 1 core basically to compile a design for a chip that's about parallelism.

And the irony is I'm reading an article designed for 600x800 or 1024x768 resolution while the lastest smartphones are 1080p and iPad is some higher resolution and it's talking about computing being good enough for general use.

But I'm not holding my breath for the new GPUs. I might even just go to console land for a year with PS4 and return for AMD 9000 series when we get a die shrink. I upgraded last time with 6000 series and I feel like I'm in the tick of GPU releases and want to align with tocks.

I realise that intel are investing in the gpu to make laptops etc good enough for gaming without needing a discrete GPU, and lack of competition means no need for more than 4-6 cores on the CPU, but would it kill them to have some variety? Those of us that use a separate GPU in our PCs are just wasting the IGP. Intel could have a gamer sku that cuts out the GPU and sells for less as a result, or allows them to give us 6-8 core CPUs at a premium price.

kharma45

It was a good jump but I wouldn't call it massive across the board

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/191?vs=288

longdi

Banned
seems ram prices are climbing upwards steadily, better get your pc built for those still on the fence, or at least grab on to some ddr3 ram. ddr4 is still some ways off.

I remember when I build my PC and did the first boot it never loaded because I was connecting my GPU via HDMI to a monitor. Try hooking your computer up using a dvi to a monitor or a dvi to vga to a monitor/tv.
Yeah, I'll try that before anything else. I'll hook up to my monitor and see if that works.

red731

Guys,

I need a nod from someone, that can tell me, if I have everything and what should I change - if I should change something or add something.

I want this PC to last me looong time, so that is why there are components that are there.
Is there room for OC with that 620W? Minimum gfx wattage is written as 600W.

2v81NL7.png

Thanks

stanley1993

Neo Member
Does anyone know what might be the problem with my browser. Every time it loads a new page on another tab, it doesn't immediately load the page. What it does is show the image of the page from the previous tab when i switch to the new tab. I know that the page is loaded behind the page i am seeing but i cannot access until i switch to the old tab and switch back to the new. When the new tab loads and shows the page image of the previous tab, it is unresponsive. Just an image. I can not scroll or interact with anything on the page but when i switch tabs back and fourth to get to the new page, it is fixed. I do know that i have incredibar, which i can not completely remove, installed to my browser, but that is the only add-on i think would be able to affect my browser in such a way. I have been dealing with it for a while but it has gotten more annoying.

Im using google chrome most of the time. I did try re-installing it once to get rid of incredibar but it just came back.

kharma45

Guys,

I need a nod from someone, that can tell me, if I have everything and what should I change - if I should change something or add something.

I want this PC to last me looong time, so that is why there are components that are there.

2v81NL7.png

Thanks

Where are you buying from? That 620w is plenty of headroom for overclocking.

knitoe

Guys,

Thanks

Pay more for a good PSU. You might want to go CF/SLI later on. I don't know why people always try to save money here. First, a good PSU can be reuse for many new builds. You can't say that for any other component. The added cost comes out to be little overtime. Secondly, PSU are most efficient and last longer running ~50% load. After 7+ years and many CF/SLI builds, my 1000W PSU is still going strong.

kharma45

Pay more for a good PSU. You might want to go CF/SLI later on. I don't know why people always try to save money here. First, a good PSU can be reuse for many new builds. You can't say that for any other component. The added cost comes out to be little overtime. Secondly, PSU are most efficient and last longer running ~50% load. After 7+ years and many CF/SLI builds, my 1000W PSU is still going strong.

That is a good PSU.

kharma45

Or just buy a new one if you really need it down the line, no point spending more money now for something that might never be done.

So I got my new PC today, these are the specs:

Does this seem fine to you guys? I plan to upgrade to Windows 8 later, and maybe buy an SSD and definitely getting a new GPU, I plan to go with either an AMD 7950 or a Nvidia 670.

This isn't really for gaming, but I will game on it, I mostly bought this for Video and Photo editing, and After Effects (and for the hopefully real, Halo 3 Steam Port)

And, is there any way to still get Windows 8 for cheap? I got Windows 8 for my laptop for $15 through some promotion, would love to get it for that again, or even for $40, anything but $100+

1) BUY MORE RAM. 8gb is the absolute minimum for AE.

2) SSD's are something to be experienced. Definitely upgrade eventually.

3) Look at Nvida GPU's if you're using Creative Suite (better GPU acceleration on PC).

knitoe

Or just buy a new one if you really need it down the line, no point spending more money now for something that might never be done.

Yeah. That's brilliant. Save some money to spend more later on. The guy is already spending close to $1000, $50 more is going to break the bank. Did you miss the part about most efficient and last longer keeping PSU around 50% under load?

Doesn't make sense to me, but hah, do whatever they want.

Anyone have experience with the Lenovo y500? I am thinking of picking it up vs a 15" Macbook pro as I need to leave the desktop behind when I move to Tokyo in a few months. Mostly will be for video editing but some Steam gaming would be a plus.

Seems like it has gotten very good reviews and is a nice looking laptop.

IdeaPad-Y500-Laptop-PC-Front-Back-View-1L-940x475.jpg

Jburton

Banned
Upgrade to an 1155 i7 or wait on Haswell / new socket mobo?

Running an i5 and a z77 at the moment, being CPU limited in Arma 3 is not acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom