• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

plainr_

i think it is a waste of time and money. it is not as easy to swap gpu hsf and gpu gets outdated fast.

so just buy a gpu with a ready made custom cooler if you find the default blower too loud.

What's the issue with the cooler on the card you have? FWIW though, it would have been a lot cheaper just to buy an ASUS card to begin with.

From personal experience, I'm not fond of the stick-on ramsinks you need to use in conjunction with aftermarket aircoolers. They tend to fall off and can't be reused easily anyhow.

The cards run a little too hot and too loud for my liking. Besides, I have unused Amazon credit I just want to use already. :p

Varna

Would all mid tower cases offer the same amount of space between the top of the motherboard and top exhaust area?

I have the Corsair 500R and it's an amazing case. However, I've recently switched to a push/pull setup with my H100 and there simply isn't enough room to get all for fans inside the actual case. So I have the top fans just sticking out of the case.

lmpaler

My rig is complete, no more money being thrown into this money pit(hopefully... fingers crossed.).

VGfIIvll.jpg

Love how open it is inside, nice job

Anyone know what happened to 2048x1152 monitors? My brother had got a Samsung one back in 2008 or 2009, and I hadn't seen it in a while.

It'd be a nice resolution: higher res than 1080p, while 120hz would be easy to implement.

snack

Hey guys... What's so good about these 1440p monitors? I just heard about them recently and they're literally the talk of the town.

Smokey

Hey guys... What's so good about these 1440p monitors? I just heard about them recently and they're literally the talk of the town.

Everything. The resolution jump is great for games. The colors are better than standard TN 1080p panels. There currently aren't any 2560x1440 120hz models out (without overclocking a select few Korean models), and that's the only downside. And I guess there's more input lag than the newer TN panels. I personally have a 2560x1600 monitor and it's fine to me in that area, and I play tons of FPS. Other than that they are pretty sweet for gaming.

snack

Everything. The resolution jump is great for games. The colors are better than standard TN 1080p panels. There currently aren't any 2560x1440 120hz models out (without overclocking a select few Korean models), and that's the only downside. And I guess there's more input lag than the newer TN panels. I personally have a 2560x1600 monitor and it's fine to me in that area, and I play tons of FPS. Other than that they are pretty sweet for gaming.
You can overclockers monitors?! Gah, I got so much more to learn. lol

Thanks for the info!

kharma45

XFX 7870 Core Ed: $229.99
XFX 7870 Double D: $225.99
SAPPHIRE 7870 XT: $259.99

I... am not sure what the differences are between these cards.

The XT is Tahiti based not Pitcairn like the others. If it had a proper name it'd be a 7930, I don't know why they named it a 7800 series.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What are some good AMD OverDrive settings for a Gigabyte 7970 OC with those triple fans?

By default it's at 1GHz core and 1375MHz memory. So far the GPU has never gone above 64c even when maintaining 99% load, which seems good to me considering my GTX285 was often surpassing 90c.

Should I just max it? It allows up to 1.2GHz core and 1.65GHz memory.

kharma45

What are some good AMD OverDrive settings for a Gigabyte 7970 OC with those triple fans?

By default it's at 1GHz core and 1375MHz memory. So far the GPU has never gone above 64c even when maintaining 99% load, which seems good to me considering my GTX285 was often surpassing 90c.

Should I just max it? It allows up to 1.2GHz core and 1.65GHz memory.

Don't stick memory that high but try core clock and see but it might not work without extra volts and the Gigabyte 7970 is usually locked. Try 1100 and 1450.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
Here's sort of a weird/overly complex networking question.

I live in an apt that is connected to my landlord's house. For whatever reason the cable drop and modem are in my apartment but her son ran some ethernet cable from the modem (in my apt) to a wireless router in her house. I can get the wireless signal no problem but for my desktop I obviously want to have a wired connection.

For the time being I have been running the modem ethernet cable to this Netgear switch http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-122-005 and then having 1 ethernet line run directly into my desktop and the other being the existing cable going to the wireless router. She wasn't really down with me moving the router and since I don't pay for internet i'm not going to press the issue that much.

My question is if take the ethernet cable I'm running into my desktop and put that into a new router would I be able to plug multiple devices in there via wired connection? The reason I ask is because a friend informed me the switch doesn't assign IP addresses so if I plugged two things in there wired might cause issues.

Can't think of a more simple way to explain this.

avaya

So ran a couple of OCCT tests, 3.3V rail is rock steady after 5hrs. Temps all ok, power LED blinking....probably just loose cable I hope. Reseated them and seems ok for now. Getting strange HW Monitor readings in OCCT for CPU Core 0 - either 64.5 or 77.5 degrees, shows normal temps in all other monitoring software...software glitch?

Anyway, pic's of my little build in Soho

jbo1WHb.jpg

TAqdooo.jpg

W1y2rw6.jpg

sv40Z9s.jpg

UWMgFjW.jpg

i7-3820
Rampage IV Formula
2x EVGA SC Titan
16GB Samsung 30nm RAM
Corsair H80i
Samsung Pro Series 256GB
WD Caviar Green 1TB
Define R4

brentech

I live in an apt that is connected to my landlord's house. For whatever reason the cable drop and modem are in my apartment but her son ran some ethernet cable from the modem (in my apt) to a wireless router in her house. I can get the wireless signal no problem but for my desktop I obviously want to have a wired connection.

For the time being I have been running the modem ethernet cable to this Netgear switch http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-122-005 and then having 1 ethernet line run directly into my desktop and the other being the existing cable going to the wireless router. She wasn't really down with me moving the router and since I don't pay for internet i'm not going to press the issue that much.

My question is if take the ethernet cable I'm running into my desktop and put that into a new router would I be able to plug multiple devices in there via wired connection? The reason I ask is because a friend informed me the switch doesn't assign IP addresses so if I plugged two things in there wired might cause issues.

If the other router is still in place, than yeah, there is going to be problems. 2 routers shouldn't coexist.

Dave_6

So ran a couple of OCCT tests, 3.3V rail is rock steady after 5hrs. Temps all ok, power LED blinking....probably just loose cable I hope. Reseated them and seems ok for now. Getting strange HW Monitor readings in OCCT for CPU Core 0 - either 64.5 or 77.5 degrees, shows normal temps in all other monitoring software...software glitch?

Anyway, pic's of my little build in Soho

Amazing build! :O

FWIW I just ordered a measly Sapphire 7970!

Bumhead

Banned
I hate begging for replies to old posts like this so apologies if anyone thinks I sound like an ass, but does anyone have any thoughts on the budget build in my original post below?

Been tasked with building a budget gaming PC for my younger brother. Budget is key really; over £400 is pretty much a no-no. The hopeful end result is at least better than current gen performance on modern games, and hopefully at least some future proofing on next-gen (although I'm under no illusions regarding 60/1080p next-gen games)

Managed to put together a basket for £373 all in.

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/1b307a26c64443d7a8dbf8f560493021

Started building it very loosely around the Eurogamer £300 build, which I've linked below. Took a few liberties though and stretched to what at least looks to me like a stronger build.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-introducing-the-digital-foundry-pc

Any thoughts and recommendations most welcome. I've only ever built two PC's before and they were both higher budget than this, so if I can get more for my money anywhere I'd love to hear about it. Thanks in advance.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
If the other router is still in place, than yeah, there is going to be problems. 2 routers shouldn't coexist.
It would still be there but is there any reason why I shouldn't have 2 routers going if 1 is going to be for wired purposes only?

In a nutshell, I need to have wired connections for 2 desktop and while the modem is in my apt the router is not. If there is a more simple way of doing this?

kennah

I hate begging for replies to old posts like this so apologies if anyone thinks I sound like an ass, but does anyone have any thoughts on the budget build in my original post below?
Strict budget + future proof are mutually exclusive.

The computer you linked is ok but it would already have trouble with current gen games, never mind next gen. The b75 chipset limits upgrade options (no overclocking) and the video card is pretty low end.

You might be kinda hooped. Kharma might jump in with some better advice. I'd suggest you try to find someone selling a good Sandy Bridge system and a decent video card

kharma45

Cheaper case and get better parts, like this. No need for an optical drive either

CPU: Intel Pentium G2120 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor (£59.99 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£43.58 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Kingston Blu 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£21.24 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£55.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (£154.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£31.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£36.18 @ Aria PC)
Total: £402.15
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-30 20:32 GMT+0000)
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/NitJ

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It would still be there but is there any reason why I shouldn't have 2 routers going if 1 is going to be for wired purposes only?

In a nutshell, I need to have wired connections for 2 desktop and while the modem is in my apt the router is not. If there is a more simple way of doing this?

Why do you need a 2nd router? Just use a switch.

If you happen to have a spare router, you could use that but turn off DHCP assignment so it doesn't clash with the primary router. You could then use it as an Ethernet switch and your own wireless access point

brentech

Do you actually have control over their router?
Because for it to work, it would essentially need to be set up as an access point. You'll end up having network conflicts and possibly no internet for anyone if both are hooked up as default type settings.

I think they can be set up to actually work, but it's not a desirable system

knitoe

Most times, the ISP only gives out 1 IP address. Thus, if you connect modem to switch, the first device connecting will get that IP, your computer or the other family's router. If you computer gets the IP, the other family router / network will not be able to get online. Ideally, the router should be next to the modem and only device connected to it. Thus, your only option is to run a wire from the router back to your computer.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
Do you actually have control over their router?
Because for it to work, it would essentially need to be set up as an access point. You'll end up having network conflicts and possibly no internet for anyone if both are hooked up as default type settings.

I think they can be set up to actually work, but it's not a desirable system
I don't but the more you get into this the more it seems like this isn't going to work out too well. Thanks for all the info!

plainr_

Drop the DVD drive, get a cheaper case and upgrade that video card. Look into getting the 7770 or if you can 7850. It would also be useless to get a 2GB 7750. You won't ever utilized that much ram with that card. I'd highly look into getting a 7850 at minimum. You get Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider for free. You can sell those codes for a little money back too.

Demon Ice

Banned
So I'm looking into upgrading my motherboard and processor, which is fairly uncharted territory for me. Couple questions:

1) Core i5 2500k vs 3570k, I remember reading that one of these was known to OC extremely well on the stock air cooler, which one? They're both the same price on Newegg.

2) After changing motherboards, will I have to reformat my hard drives and reinstall Windows?

kharma45

So I'm looking into upgrading my motherboard and processor, which is fairly uncharted territory for me. Couple questions:

1) Core i5 2500k vs 3570k, I remember reading that one of these was known to OC extremely well on the stock air cooler, which one? They're both the same price on Newegg.

2) After changing motherboards, will I have to reformat my hard drives and reinstall Windows?

Get the 3570K. The stock cooler OCs neither all that well.

I believe so, you'll also need to call MS to get the activation transferred over.

Demon Ice

Banned
Get the 3570K. The stock cooler OCs neither all that well.

I believe so, you'll also need to call MS to get the activation transferred over.

Gotcha, thanks. If I have to reformat I'll probably end up just getting a new HDD, my current one isn't all that large. Anyone have any experience with the Seagate hybrid drives? They're 7200 RPM mechanical drives with a small cache of solid-state memory.

Smokey

That news about IB-E kind of sucks...but was sort of expected in my eyes. I'll see how Haswell does...but looks like I might keep using the trusty 2600k for another calendar year...

Hawk269

Gotcha, thanks. If I have to reformat I'll probably end up just getting a new HDD, my current one isn't all that large. Anyone have any experience with the Seagate hybrid drives? They're 7200 RPM mechanical drives with a small cache of solid-state memory.

If you can swing it, get a SSD, even a lower capacity one for your OS and any main programs. Newegg has Samsung Pro's on Sale right now.

Demon Ice

Banned
If you can swing it, get a SSD, even a lower capacity one for your OS and any main programs. Newegg has Samsung Pro's on Sale right now.

I'll be doing this upgrade around the beginning of June so I'll check what they have on sale then. I'd love to get an SSD in there but my budget is extremely tight unfortunately, and the Mobo + CPU + DDR3 RAM is definitely the priority.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'll be doing this upgrade around the beginning of June so I'll check what they have on sale then. I'd love to get an SSD in there but my budget is extremely tight unfortunately, and the Mobo + CPU + DDR3 RAM is definitely the priority.
Wait for Haswell then (New Intel chips)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If the Haswell chips don't have the TIM problems found on Ivy Bridge I will definitely upgrade from a 2600K.
Haha, we'll see how they OC. (Used 2600K here)
I think it would be a good move as a lot of enthusiasts would upgrade to it. Leading the way and such.

I'm not too keen on upgrading for a 15-20% performance boost after OC since I'll need a new mobo.
Don't be lazy, delid Ivy or Haswell and put your own TIM.
If I had more time or income I'd actually do this.
Actually, this is the internet, I bet someone on a forum offers this as a service.

Orca

Did a couple last changes to my build...bumped up to the i7 as expected lol...and I'll be ordering things tomorrow. Starting to look forward to building something already :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom