• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorral

First, awesome thread Hazaro. Always a good read and to read the posts around.

avoid XFX as anyone would tell you.

Wait, why?
I have been putting together this tight budget build and I was about to buy the XFX 7870 DD(A sapphire 7870 is also available it seems). Here is the whole build:

i5 3470 (Amazon got this for over $36 cheaper than a 3570k and I'll not OC)
ASRock H77M Micro ATX (-_-)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
WD Cavier Blue 500GB
Corsair Builder 500W 80

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NgHz

Originally, I was worried about the PSU being meh/not up to the snuff(the MB too I guess), but now avoid XFX? Would love to hear some thoughts on this and the build.

kharma45

Wait, why?
I have been putting together this tight budget build and I was about to buy the XFX 7870 DD(A sapphire 7870 is also available it seems). Here is the whole build:

WD Cavier Blue 500GB
Corsair Builder 500W 80

Originally, I was worried about the PSU being meh/not up to the snuff(the MB too I guess), but now avoid XFX? Would love to hear some thoughts on this and the build.

Their coolers are pretty meh and, at least in the UK, their RMA service is dire.

You can get a Tahiti 7870 for that money too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...006662&isNodeId=1&Description=7870+le&x=0&y=0

Sorral

scogoth

If I had more time or income I'd actually do this.
Actually, this is the internet, I bet someone on a forum offers this as a service.

I've seen a couple on OCN for sale.

I've built and upgraded computers for as long as I can remember, but even I would be nervous to delid. One tiny mistake and you can kiss several hundred bucks/euros/pounds goodbye.

I was surprised how easy it was. Temp drops were a good 30C. Just takes patience and the right tools.

Any good guides, which you can recommend?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1309867/short-and-direct-delid-guide-ivy-bridge

There are lots of youtube vids as well. I only used razor blades, some people use x-acto knives, pen knives, vice grips, 2x4s, hammers(yikes!), etc

scogoth pls

lol it was worth it. 4.6GHz at 78C to 5.0Ghz at 50C. I'm waiting till I get more temp sensors and all my sleeving done before I really try and push it.

Yay! You are back! I got a little worried.

I've been busy with school and family stuff at easter. I really need to find the time to finish sleeving. I'm also waiting on a molex distribution board and internal USB hub but the package got held up at customs. I really wish I could just take a boat across lake Ontario to FrozenCPU and pick up parts.

I'm not really sure if this is a common problem or not but is something that has always plagued me and wireless keyboards. Sometimes my KBs will stop typing until I move them, which makes me think its a singal issue. This is the third keyboard i've had over the years and it does it too and I don't know how its still possible 2013 for KBs to be doing this. On my iMac I never have this issue, but that is bluetooth and I guess these use RF. Its a Logitech K750. Anyone else have similar issues?

Oxn

Wait, why?

WD Cavier Blue 500GB
Corsair Builder 500W 80

I dunno why people are so against XFX now. I got a XFX 6870 almost 1.5yrs ago snd it still works great, never given me any problems.

Also they have lifetime warranty.

scogoth

I dunno why people are so against XFX now. I got a XFX 6870 almost 1.5yrs ago snd it still works great, never given me any problems.

Their current generation (7000s) GPUs have cooling systems that are louder and worse than stock. Their previous stuff was fine.

Hi everyone,

I have an HTPC which I built a couple years ago. My main goal was something inexpensive that could play HD video. For that, I succeeded. But recently I've been thinking it'd be nice to be able to play some games on it. I am far from being a graphics whore, and really only care about games running at playable levels.

Keeping in mind I went the cheap route, this is my mobo: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4N78_PRO/

I stuck two gigs of ram in there. CPU is an AMD Phenom II X2 545, which I'm assuming is super crappy for gaming.

I guess my question is, could I get away with just slapping a new GPU in there? Would I then be able to play, say, Skyrim even at low settings?

Thank you :)

Well shit something happened. I just installed a new fan to my PC and when i switch the PSU on...it doesn't start. The motherboard doesn't even light up nor does anything turn on. Did i just mess up my PSU??

LordAlu

Well shit something happened. I just installed a new fan to my PC and when i switch the PSU on...it doesn't start. The motherboard doesn't even light up nor does anything turn on. Did i just mess up my PSU??

Check to make sure you're plugged in at the wall that cable is securely connected to the PSU. Does your PSU have a switch for on/off on the back? If so, make sure that's on. Check your motherboard/CPU connectors to ensure they're all tightly connected, and that the power switch for your case is correctly connected to the motherboard (in case you knocked any cabling whilst fitting the fan).

Check to make sure you're plugged in at the wall that cable is securely connected to the PSU. Does your PSU have a switch for on/off on the back? If so, make sure that's on. Check your motherboard/CPU connectors to ensure they're all tightly connected, and that the power switch for your case is correctly connected to the motherboard (in case you knocked any cabling whilst fitting the fan).

Ah yeah I just figured it out, apparently I plugged something into the wrong spot and it wouldnt power up. Got it working again.

I was scared for a second that I would have to take a trip to Microcenter for a PSU (which is bad news cause whenever I go there I always wind up buying more shit than what I actually went in for)

Sorral

Their current generation (7000s) GPUs have cooling systems that are louder and worse than stock. Their previous stuff was fine.

Worse than stock is very disappointing to hear. Was going to ask Oxn on the heat/noise, but the 6870 is a generation behind.

Then, the sapphire 7870 should be good? I might just suck it up and get a 7950 at this rate. Thanks for replies btw.

Artanisix

Loving my sapphire 7950, highly recommend it. Highest temps I've seen it go is 48c while playing Bioshock Infinite all cranked up. Seemed to be harder on my videocard than Crysis 3 for whatever reason. Had some problems with black/grey screens the first few days but a quick download of sapphire trixx + disabling ULPS fixed that right away.

eot

Banned
I'm tempted to buy a new PC. Got my last one in 2008 (with sporadic upgrades since) which was kind of the sweet spot for getting one that can run console ports pretty decently for a surprisingly long time. Getting one right now might be the opposite with new consoles just around the corner. I don't want to spend too much money on it again in 18 months. At the same time they're so cheap for decent performance :D

Bumhead

Banned
Cheaper case and get better parts, like this. No need for an optical drive either

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/NitJ

Drop the DVD drive, get a cheaper case and upgrade that video card. Look into getting the 7770 or if you can 7850. It would also be useless to get a 2GB 7750. You won't ever utilized that much ram with that card. I'd highly look into getting a 7850 at minimum. You get Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider for free. You can sell those codes for a little money back too.

Strict budget + future proof are mutually exclusive.

The computer you linked is ok but it would already have trouble with current gen games, never mind next gen. The b75 chipset limits upgrade options (no overclocking) and the video card is pretty low end.

You might be kinda hooped. Kharma might jump in with some better advice. I'd suggest you try to find someone selling a good Sandy Bridge system and a decent video card

Nice one, thanks for the feedback guys.

I've made some adjustments based on your feedback, such as going up to a 7850. I'm keeping the disc drive in there as I already have a Windows 7 CD around and not sure how to get it on there otherwise. Also gone for a Z68 motherboard, a cheaper case and a stronger AMD CPU. Cost has gone up to £440 but I'm going to help him out with the extra. For the sake of £40 this looks a much stronger build.. in my very limited experience, anyway. When it comes to actually buying I will shop around for the same parts anyhow.

Feedback much appreciated again.

EDIT: Updated basket

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/2993e05f321346f0b34897a96a837054

Addnan

I've made some adjustments based on your feedback, such as going up to a 7850. I'm keeping the disc drive in there as I already have a Windows 7 CD around and not sure how to get it on there otherwise. Also gone for a Z68 motherboard, a cheaper case and a stronger AMD CPU. Cost has gone up to £440 but I'm going to help him out with the extra. For the sake of £40 this looks a much stronger build.. in my very limited experience, anyway. When it comes to actually buying I will shop around for the same parts anyhow.

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/76a6e6ac13c14b87ab01c3d0237157ec
I can't comment on how good the part are, but that CPU will not work with that motherboard. You will need a AM3+ socket. Z68 is 1155

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

You want an i3 3220 for the CPU, or a used 2500K / 3570K if you can find one.

Assuming your Windows 7 DVD comes with a key, you can use this easy USB method and save on the cost of a DVD drive.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I'm tempted to buy a new PC. Got my last one in 2008 (with sporadic upgrades since) which was kind of the sweet spot for getting one that can run console ports pretty decently for a surprisingly long time. Getting one right now might be the opposite with new consoles just around the corner. I don't want to spend too much money on it again in 18 months. At the same time they're so cheap for decent performance :D

Wait until June. Haswell will be out, MS will announce Xbox Whatever at E3, and we'll have final specs for both it and PS4.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Here's how mine ended up.

ibgnqe0D0Iixwm.JPG
ic6H66QmAZOvf.JPG
itd0YdDLde4IE.JPG
i1wNbY0Kn6upo.JPG

Probably the messiest build seen here but compared to my last one this is perfect.

I was hoping it would turn out a bit better but that's the best I could do with the available cables.

The biggest issue was the double ended 8pin GPU power cable, if I had one like the ATX one it'd work.

By the way, are only AMD branded graphics cards eligible for Never Settle: Reloaded or just any Radeon?

kharma45

Go with kharma's build. Stretch to i3 3220 if possible.

Though I'm wondering if an AM3+ build would be a perfect fit here, Intel's fast dual core makes me wonder.

The FX 6300 could be a viable option, it's near as makes no difference the same price as the i3 3220.

By the way, are only AMD branded graphics cards eligible for Never Settle: Reloaded or just any Radeon?

Radeon HD 7800 series gets you Tomb Raider + Bioshock Infinite
Radeon HD 7900 series gets you Crysis 3 + Bioshock Infinite

Loving my sapphire 7950, highly recommend it. Highest temps I've seen it go is 48c while playing Bioshock Infinite all cranked up. Seemed to be harder on my videocard than Crysis 3 for whatever reason. Had some problems with black/grey screens the first few days but a quick download of sapphire trixx + disabling ULPS fixed that right away.

I have the same card and I'm looking at ways on lowering temps. If you don't mind sharing, what are your:

-Clock speeds
-Voltages
-Power Limit (board limit)
-case fan setup
-PSU
-ASIC rating?

Akai__

http://www.overclock.net/t/1309867/short-and-direct-delid-guide-ivy-bridge

There are lots of youtube vids as well. I only used razor blades, some people use x-acto knives, pen knives, vice grips, 2x4s, hammers(yikes!), etc

I'm thinking of delidding my (I supose Lynnfield) i7-860 CPU, because I decided to wait until Haswell. Is it the same method for Lynnfield or is it somehow different? Is it even possible or better, will it be worth it on an old CPU?

Edit: Thanks for the guide :)

Sorral

I have the same card and I'm looking at ways on lowering temps. If you don't mind sharing, what are your:

-Clock speeds
-Voltages
-Power Limit (board limit)
-case fan setup
-PSU
-ASIC rating?

That's good to hear. Which ones do you guys have? I am looking at this one right now and I think it is the cheapest one available with an 850 core clock while the asus one is at 900:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Edit: This reminds me. The wattage is at 366 now. I don't think the PSU(500W)'s fan will be cranked up high now will it? when they are really 450~480W PSUs.
I haven't built a PC since like 2002 and the one I bought last was pre-built and I just installed a 7800GS in it, so excuse my silly questions. @_@

kharma45

This is probably the worst build I've ever seen on r/buildapc http://bit.ly/16bjaDg

If I get this motherboard http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RQ0HSA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

will it have the proper connections for the speakers? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAHYTG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I cant use headphones for long, thanks!

it will yes, the cluster to the far right are the audio connectors on the mobo

31zZHxyV5CL.jpg

From a quick look you'll be connecting them through the green port on both which is a 3.5mm one

Alexios

Radeon HD 7800 series gets you Tomb Raider + Bioshock Infinite
Radeon HD 7900 series gets you Crysis 3 + Bioshock Infinite
Yes, I'm asking if it has to be an AMD card or any brand like Gigabyte, Asus, etc.

Unless you meant yes with that. I got cheated I guess. I've e-mailed the store but they don't open in the weekend so I gotta wait to call.

Alexios

Yeah they had the Never Settle Reloaded banner stuff on the product page at the store, that's what made me ask, since I got no coupon or anything with it.

They're not in that list of stores but surely that's false advertising in that case, if it's not just an omission (or they get supplied by the two listed there from my country).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is probably the worst build I've ever seen on r/buildapc http://bit.ly/16bjaDg

it will yes, the cluster to the far right are the audio connectors on the mobo

31zZHxyV5CL.jpg

From a quick look you'll be connecting them through the green port on both which is a 3.5mm one

I just bought this Genius SW-G2.1 1250 2.1 Speaker System last month.

Best 2.1 speaker set I've found and it has all the connections but the VGA that the Logitech one there has. Super convenient since I can route my PC audio to it and also use my console AV out to plug into it. Before hand I had to use male to female plugs and splitters to be able to get multiple audio streams to the speakers.

brentech

Yes, I'm asking if it has to be an AMD card or any brand like Gigabyte, Asus, etc.

Unless you meant yes with that. I got cheated I guess. I've e-mailed the store but they don't open in the weekend so I gotta wait to call.
I don't seem to be able to get my shitty Nvidia $150 after buying mine at micrometer. They haven't responded to my contact and sure didn't give me anything in store. I just thought it's be on my receipt somewhere.

Ty4on

I'm thinking of delidding my (I supose Lynnfield) i7-860 CPU, because I decided to wait until Haswell. Is it the same method for Lynnfield or is it somehow different? Is it even possible or better, will it be worth it on an old CPU?

Edit: Thanks for the guide :)

Delidding first and second gen Core i CPUs will destroy them because they're welded together :p
It only works with Ivy Bridge and some other CPUs because they tried to save money and used thermal paste instead. Ivy should be even colder than Sandy Bridge due to the lower power consumption.

I don't feel like delidding untill 4.4/4.6Ghz is too little, but it does at least look a lot easier than unlocking chips...

I don't seem to be able to get my shitty Nvidia $150 after buying mine at micrometer. They haven't responded to my contact and sure didn't give me anything in store. I just thought it's be on my receipt somewhere.

I remember when I bought a 7950 at Microcenter and the dude was about to bring it up to the register and I was like "wait wait, wheres my free games coupon". Thankfully he gave me the coupon for the 7800 series because I already had Crysis 3.

But yeah either they dont give it to you unless you ask or it just slips past them so you gotta remind them. But that happened also when I bought my 560ti last year and had to ask for the Batman Arkham City coupon as well.

That's good to hear. Which ones do you guys have? I am looking at this one right now and I think it is the cheapest one available with an 850 core clock while the asus one is at 900:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Edit: This reminds me. The wattage is at 366 now. I don't think the PSU(500W)'s fan will be cranked up high now will it? when they are really 450~480W PSUs.
I haven't built a PC since like 2002 and the one I bought last was pre-built and I just installed a 7800GS in it, so excuse my silly questions. @_@

I have this one: Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950

comu

Neo Member
I bought a 7870 at a store that wasn't listed as participants of the games promotion and had to ask for it. Doubt they would have given it had I not asked IMO.

They first said that they didn't have any left for the 7800, but I replied that I wouldn't be buying unless I got the coupon, so they gave me the 7900 coupon ;)

comu

Neo Member
Hey guys,

I wrote earlier (http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=52120932), but let me simplify my question.
I'm trying to turn an older PC into one good enough to play this past gen's games (Skyrim etc.). I've really been out of the loop recently on GPU tech. What card would you recommend to throw into this mobo? http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4N78_PRO/
I know it sucks :-/.

Thank you!
sorry for asking twice

Something that fits into your budget

inky

Hi guys I'm need of some assistance.

I have an i5 3330 + a 560 ti running on a PSU from my old build (corsair 550vx, bought around 2008) but I'm having some issues. These past couple of days, whenever I had the computer doing some intensive 3D work (usually games, but not necessarily) the computer would freeze, then restart after a while. Sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 3 hours, in the end just on powering it up did it. When I first built it about a month ago (mobo, processor, memory and SSD are all new) I had the same problem but after fiddling with some cables I put it down to me connecting something wrong. I even tested it using Prime95 and other similar utilities like free 3D Mark and it worked without a hitch then, but the way the issue started happening again led me to believe it wasn't down to me connecting stuff wrong anymore.

After some troubleshooting I disconnected the 560ti and have it running on integrated graphics, and it is as stable as it was before, although I'm not really stressing it that much now as the main power draw would come from the GFX card, wouldn't it?. I'm suspecting it is the PSU because I put an old 9800GT card in there to test (great card btw :p) and ran FurMark and the PC froze twice, but I don't really have another PC to test it (got rid of my old build) and be sure.

- Is there anything else I could do to see if the PSU is indeed the problem? (I know its kind of old now, so might as well replace it now, but it would suck if that won't fix the issues I'm having). I've googled extensively and the cause for a particular random freeze is pretty hard to lock down, with problems ranging from audio driver issues to a bad windows install, etc.

- I'm probably going for a Corsair CX 600W due to convenience reasons (price, availability, etc.) so I guess my question is what are your thoughts on this? I hear a 500W one should be enough, and I could even get a modular for the same price. The processor is locked anyway, so I'm not going to do OCing or anything like that, but no damage in getting the 600w I guess.

Thanks in advance for any help =)

kharma45

Hey guys,

I wrote earlier (http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=52120932), but let me simplify my question.
I'm trying to turn an older PC into one good enough to play this past gen's games (Skyrim etc.). I've really been out of the loop recently on GPU tech. What card would you recommend to throw into this mobo? http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4N78_PRO/
I know it sucks :-/.

Thank you!
sorry for asking twice

Take a look into this for your CPU as you might be able to unlock it http://www.overclock.net/t/535501/amd-k10-5-core-cache-unlocking-guide

What is your GPU budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom