• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentech

Fuck it, I'm buying the Corsair AX750. $134 doesn't seem bad. I'll just ebay the PSU I have in here currently. At least I'll feel safer, even though it doesn't seem all that bad.

Varna

You try disabling each GPU and trying them individually? Also try uninstalling Precision and re-installing. There should be a option for K-Boost, which will make your cards run at the boost clocks 24/7. You could try that too and see if it clocks up.

How would I go about testing each GPU individually?

Tried K-Boost and uninstalling Precision X. GPU1 just refuses to clock up an it's reading some ridiculous power % usage (300+). Tried different PCI-E slots.. no change. :(

Smokey

How would I go about testing each GPU individually?

Tried K-Boost and uninstalling Precision X. GPU1 just refuses to clock up an it's reading some ridiculous power % usage (300+). Tried different PCI-E slots.. no change. :(

Disable SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel. It will cut off GPU2 when you do that. Then try a game and see what happens. What drivers are you running?

Pandemic

Hi, regarding the location of putting a PC tower, is it bad to put it on the floor? Or better off putting it on the actual table? This is in terms of collecting dust and breathing, etc.

M3z_

My rig is complete, no more money being thrown into this money pit(hopefully... fingers crossed.).

VGfIIvll.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Fuck it, I'm buying the Corsair AX750. $134 doesn't seem bad. I'll just ebay the PSU I have in here currently. At least I'll feel safer, even though it doesn't seem all that bad.
That's the spirit!
Hi, regarding the location of putting a PC tower, is it bad to put it on the floor? Or better off putting it on the actual table? This is in terms of collecting dust and breathing, etc.
Every place I've lived has been dust central, but I prefer the floor for noise.
My rig is complete, no more money being thrown into this money pit(hopefully... fingers crossed.).

VGfIIvll.jpg
Beautiful.
Now replace the rear fan.

At 1080P is there any advantage to go for the higher end cards?

Yes, I think so. I'm using a Titan on a 1080p Kuro HDTV (60Hz).

1. Better fps/frametimes.I don't use VSync so I run my games higher than my refresh rate. The higher the fps, the higher rate my mouse and keyboard polls, the more responsive the game is. Pro CS players run their game at 240 fps.
2. More AA e.g. 4xSGSSAA - 8xSGSSAA
3. Downsampling
4. You get more consistent 60fps in Crysis 3.

My goal is to move to a 120Hz monitor at 1080p, so as you can see 1080p can max out a Titan or Titans and other higher end cards plenty. But really it depends on how you want to game. PC gaming is scalable.

Pandemic

That's the spirit!

Beautiful.

So there isn't much difference/concern when putting it on the floor? I have wooden floor panels, so I'm just worried about dust..

Thanks.

I wound up purchasing a mint 7850 today off craigslist for 125. I'm powering off of my terrible 350w PSU. Thankfully I only play one game that doesn't really push its capabilities. I plan on buying a new PSU this weekend. Is the sale on tiger direct for the 420w corsair sufficient?

What games should I get to see what this can do?

I wound up purchasing a mint 7850 today off craigslist for 125. I'm powering off of my terrible 350w PSU. Thankfully I only play one game that doesn't really push its capabilities. I plan on buying a new PSU this weekend. Is the sale on tiger direct for the 420w corsair sufficient?

thats a very nice price for that card especially a mint version but yea get a new PSU quickly (check the ones in the OP like the BP550 plus).

some games

Trine
Trine 2
Sleeping Dogs
Batman AA
Crysis
and others

thats a very nice price for that card exspecially a mint version but yea get a new PSU quickly (check the ones in the OP like the BP550 plus).

some games

Trine
Trine 2
Sleeping Dogs
Batman AA
Crysis
and others
yea, i think it worked out this way better than I could have imagined. Dude only lived about 30 minutes away. I took my tower over to his place. He was going to give me a 380W PSU for $5 but for some reason it wouldn't power my board. Hooked everything up for me and I wound up talking with him for another hour afterwards.

Playing PSO2 with max settings at 60FPS is ridiculous. Its almost impossible to compare it to what I was dealing with.

I played the first Trine and liked it, but I don't think I could play it enough to beat it. Sleeping Dogs definitely seems like something I could get into after playing it for an hour so far (console)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

430w you mean?
VP450 is better, but the CX430 will do if you save a lot on the rebate (They are both effectively ~380W supplies). BP550 for the future + modular.

430w you mean?
VP450 is better, but the CX430 will do if you save a lot on the rebate (They are both effectively ~380W supplies). BP550 for the future + modular.

I'm sure you're correct. I wasn't confidant with that number I posted, but it sounded close lol

I think its 35 total after rebate. Really don't want the Mrs. throwing to many arguments my way.

I don't see me doing much of anything to my current machine. I still have yet to purchase/build my own tower. I just get hand me downs. This one just happened to have an i7 at 2.67 so I was very fortunate.

Smash88

Banned
Anyone got any news on GTX 770/780 at all? Usually they release end of March, obviously that is not the case. Building a new computer in June and I don't want to wait any longer. I could've built the computer back last August, but I decided to wait for Haswell.

I tried googling, but nothing relevant is showing up.

kharma45

Anyone got any news on GTX 770/780 at all? Usually they release end of March, obviously that is not the case. Building a new computer in June and I don't want to wait any longer. I could've built the computer back last August, but I decided to wait for Haswell.

expected in Q4.

Danj

Aren't the mobile versions of these expected to show up around the same time as Haswell (i.e. June)? I know I've seen a couple of leaked spec sheets of laptops with both Haswell and a 7XX mobile GPU.

Smash88

Banned
Aren't the mobile versions of these expected to show up around the same time as Haswell (i.e. June)? I know I've seen a couple of leaked spec sheets of laptops with both Haswell and a 7XX mobile GPU.

Well if the 700M's are coming out in June then the desktop versions should be around June as well.

expected in Q4.

From what I saw that is not the case. ATI's GPU is Q4. Nvidia never said anything, yet...

brentech

That's the spirit!
LOL, yeah.
I also purchased some new case fans as well. Mostly because I'd prefer not to use the molex type that this case came with pre-installed.

Might still upgrade the case down the road, but it's really hard to argue with this thing considering the temps I'm getting. Maybe when I feel the need to upgrade my video card from the MSI 660/OC to something more powerful I'll have another look at the case situation. But for $37 this thing is pretty nice.

longdi

Banned
That's the spirit!

Beautiful.

but why?
thats a gentle typhoon, one of the best in sound signature and build quality.

anyway it seems like ram prices have almost doubled since the beginning of the year

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That's the spirit!

Beautiful.
I admit, I lol'd too.

I mean, there is surface not being covered by another exhaust. Total OCD after just adding filters that mkenyon recommended. I had the one rear exhaust filter and read that I shouldn't do that so I modded another fan on the front below my DVD drive to intake so that keeps me at 6 intakes and one rear out.

mackattk

When I got my PSU a year or two back i got an ax850, even though I provably will never use the full potential of it. Way I figure it is CPU's change, motherboards change, video carts change. Petty much the only thing that stays static is the PSU. So get a nice one that is more than your needs now so you will be good for the future.

brentech

When I got my PSU a year or two back i got an ax850, even though I provably will never use the full potential of it. Way I figure it is CPU's change, motherboards change, video carts change. Petty much the only thing that stays static is the PSU. So get a nice one that is more than your needs now so you will be good for the future.

Yeah. My system runs great as it is, but looking at all this PSU information and it's apparently very low grade. Figured I should buy this thing and hope motherboards don't adopt different mainboard connectors =D

diaspora

I'm going to be incrementally upgrading my PC this year. One part at a time every month. Right now I'm going to start with an SSD, and in April I'm shooting for a new GPU, which brings me to my question. Right now I'm running a 5770, is the 7870 worth the $230 to upgrade?

kharma45

I'm going to be incrementally upgrading my PC this year. One part at a time every month. Right now I'm going to start with an SSD, and in April I'm shooting for a new GPU, which brings me to my question. Right now I'm running a 5770, is the 7870 worth the $230 to upgrade?

try and find a 7870 XT or a 7870 LE for that price.

plainr_

Would anybody recommend the Arctic Accelero Xtreme 7970 cooler? And what is the difference between that and the Xtreme III. Other than the cheaper price of the 7970 version, they look absolutely identical. And aren't they both universal? I want to use this on the Titan or the Tahiti based 7870 I just bought.

plainr_

try and find a 7870 XT or a 7870 LE for that price.

I don't know if the deal still works but you can buy a Powercolor 7870 Myst which is the Tahiti chip for $209 shipped to your door from Newegg. It was sold out the other day but it seems they've restocked it again. The promo code is PWCHD7870

Just received mines in the mail the other day but I haven't really played with it yet. Doing an HTPC build with this bad boy.

longdi

Banned
Would anybody recommend the Arctic Accelero Xtreme 7970 cooler? And what is the difference between that and the Xtreme III. Other than the cheaper price of the 7970 version, they look absolutely identical. And aren't they both universal? I want to use this on the Titan or the Tahiti based 7870 I just bought.

i think it is a waste of time and money. it is not as easy to swap gpu hsf and gpu gets outdated fast.

so just buy a gpu with a ready made custom cooler if you find the default blower too loud.

HoosTrax

What's the issue with the cooler on the card you have? FWIW though, it would have been a lot cheaper just to buy an ASUS card to begin with.

From personal experience, I'm not fond of the stick-on ramsinks you need to use in conjunction with aftermarket aircoolers. They tend to fall off and can't be reused easily anyhow.

Katyusha

So I have Kingston Hyper X blu RAM that runs at 1600 @ 1.65 v and I didn't realize until now that I've been running it at that speed with my 2500k. And apparently only 1.5 v are supported by Sandy Bridge, so should I just change it back to 1333 @ 1.5 v, or will I be fine?

longdi

Banned
So I have Kingston Hyper X blu RAM that runs at 1600 @ 1.65 v and I didn't realize until now that I've been running it at that speed with my 2500k. And apparently only 1.5 v are supported by Sandy Bridge, so should I just change it back to 1333 @ 1.5 v, or will I be fine?

i think you should be able to run it at 1600 at 1.5v. try it.
i got 1333 @ 1.5v ram that runs at 1600 @ 1.5v.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom