• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Thank you :). That helps a lot. There's just so much info I wasn't sure where to start.

Budget is less than $100 I guess.

No problem. First thing I would do before spending money is try to unlock your X2 to an X4 B45.

For $100 I'd suggest looking at used GPUs but as I said see first about unlocking your CPU.

No problem. First thing I would do before spending money is try to unlock your X2 to an X4 B45.

For $100 I'd suggest looking at used GPUs but as I said see first about unlocking your CPU.
I'll give unlocking a shot. Btw, why do you say I should look into unlocking first? Would that affect what card I should buy?

It'll just mean then we can see how much of a bottleneck your CPU will be, and I'm curious to see if you can or not as well :p
This sounds really easy to do! Hopefully I'll be lucky and the disabled cores are good. It's almost 2am where I am so I'll have to give it a shot tomorrow.

As far as my budget goes, I was planning on buying a PS3, but now I'm thinking if I can get away with just buying a new graphics card then I could save some cash.

kennah

Koroviev is selling a 650 Ti for $110. Better card than anything you'd find for $100 at the store.

However, is your powersupply up to the task of running a video card and such?

Koroviev is selling a 650 Ti for $110. Better card than anything you'd find for $100 at the store.

However, is your powersupply up to the task of running a video card and such?
Off the top of my head I think it's 300w, but I have to check. I live in Japan so that might be a prob with shipping.

Giggzy

Is it bad to keep your computer on the floor on carpet? How do you folks handle dust? I have an air can that I use on it but it doesn't get everything out. I have my room window open nearly 24/7 so my room is naturally very dusty.

Akai__

Delidding first and second gen Core i CPUs will destroy them because they're welded together :p
It only works with Ivy Bridge and some other CPUs because they tried to save money and used thermal paste instead. Ivy should be even colder than Sandy Bridge due to the lower power consumption.

I don't feel like delidding untill 4.4/4.6Ghz is too little, but it does at least look a lot easier than unlocking chips...

That's the reason, why I ask, before doing something like this. Thanks :lol

demented

So I decided to switch 7950 with 7970 in my build because the price difference isn't that big after all at few shops here and it will suit me better in a long run (+ another later) so I'm wondering if it's worth switching i5 3570k with i7 3770k for longevity purposes? 80 eur upgrade hm

And as for the ram, I see 1600 mhz recommended only, why not faster? 1833, 2k+ ?

Irobot82

So I decided to switch 7950 with 7970 in my build because the price difference isn't that big after all at few shops here and it will suit me better in a long run (+ another later) so I'm wondering if it's worth switching i5 3570k with i7 3770k for longevity purposes? 80 eur upgrade hm

And as for the ram, I see 1600 mhz recommended only, why not faster? 1833, 2k+ ?

RAM won't get you much more FPS. The CPU, it's debatable. With the new consoles you can expect new games to be n threaded so the i7 may have longer legs.

For those of you that have the define r4, what kind of fan setup are you using?

I'm thinking about buying an h80i cooler for the CPU so that the 7950 is the only one blowing hot air into the case which i hope will help a lot with temps. On top of that i already have two noctua 140mm fans in the front as intakes and the stock fractal fan on the top rear as exhaust. I'm planning on using the h80i fan as a rear exhaust and putting the rear exhaust fractal fan in the second 140mm spot in the top as exhaust.

Does that sound like a good plan?

Sorral

Is it bad to keep your computer on the floor on carpet? How do you folks handle dust? I have an air can that I use on it but it doesn't get everything out. I have my room window open nearly 24/7 so my room is naturally very dusty.
I wouldn't leave it straight on the carpet. Get some solid surface underneath it and just open it up to clean it every now and then. I remember taking my old PC apart to clean it up, but it was always more trouble than its worth. Ended up using an air blower which was a bit extreme I guess..but it got it done. :|

Oh nice. Do you have it overclocked? The sapphire I am looking at doesn't have as good cooling system as the Vapor-X, but I am not going to overclock much if at all.

It seems I am going to end up with this:

i5-3470 3.2GHz
ASRock H77M Micro ATX
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB 100352-2L
Rosewill Blackbone ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Ns8r
Wattage is at 366. Hoping to run most things on at least high 60fps and 1080p. It seems I may be able to ultra now though with the 7950. Anything to change or replace?

demented

RAM won't get you much more FPS. The CPU, it's debatable. With the new consoles you can expect new games to be n threaded so the i7 may have longer legs.

In that case amd's stuff would be even better but until then.. Think I'll stick with i5, oc it and see how it goes

Oh nice. Do you have it overclocked? The sapphire I am looking at doesn't have as good cooling system as the Vapor-X, but I am not going to overclock much if at all.

It seems I am going to end up with this:

i5-3470 3.2GHz
ASRock H77M Micro ATX
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB 100352-2L
Rosewill Blackbone ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Ns8r
Wattage is at 366. Hoping to run most things on at least high 60fps and 1080p. It seems I may be able to ultra now though with the 7950. Anything to change or replace?

Yep, this card is a good overclocker. I was able to get it stable at 1100/1500. My 3dmark11 graphics score was over 10,000. Temps never go above 70c while gaming but the fans do go a bit loud. So since in still finding airflow solutions for my case i have a lower overclock for now.

Sorral

Yep, this card is a good overclocker. I was able to get it stable at 1100/1500. My 3dmark11 graphics score was over 10,000. Temps never go above 70c while gaming but the fans do go a bit loud. So since in still finding airflow solutions for my case i have a lower overclock for now.

I see. Thanks! Really good to know that there is a lot of headroom to OC on the card. I have a nag for load constant noise though, so unless I get a much better case to reduce fan noise, I will skip on overclocking it much for a long while until I want to prolong the card.

Ty4on

For those of you that have the define r4, what kind of fan setup are you using?

I'm thinking about buying an h80i cooler for the CPU so that the 7950 is the only one blowing hot air into the case which i hope will help a lot with temps. On top of that i already have two noctua 140mm fans in the front as intakes and the stock fractal fan on the top rear as exhaust. I'm planning on using the h80i fan as a rear exhaust and putting the rear exhaust fractal fan in the second 140mm spot in the top as exhaust.

Does that sound like a good plan?

If you have a regular tower cooler it will just blow air back to the exaust and not heat up the rest of the case.

Varna

Anyone have any experience with those touch fan controllers?

I went to frys on Saturday and they had one on display and it sure did look nice. But nearly ever single one has mixed reviews.

Ty4on

What do you mean by a regular tower cooler?

Tall heatsink with a fan blowing air in one direction parallel to the motherboard, in other words something like this.
212.jpg
Your case looks a lot better than that one, but as you can see pretty much all the hot air is exausted because it's blown towards the rear exaust.

Hello, my wife wants to buy a computer, something that is not to expensive. Would be used for school work mostly, but I would like for it to able to have some light gaming aspects (Would like to play games such as Amnesia, Half-Life 2) and some media options.

I talked to her about building one, but we aren't 100% confident. Anyways, we have the option to buy one from Costco and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I haven't really been keeping up with computer tech and don't know too much.

We were thinking about getting something under $700.
Can anyone give us any advice? We only need the desktop, no need for a laptop.

http://www.costco.com/cpu-only.html...r=cpu-only&categoryId=30383&sortBy=PriceMin|0

What do you think is our best option?

Tall heatsink with a fan blowing air in one direction parallel to the motherboard, in other words something like this.

Your case looks a lot better than that one, but as you can see pretty much all the hot air is exausted because it's blown towards the rear exaust.

Ah gotcha. Yeah that's what i have now, i have a hyper 212+ on my CPU. I was afraid having that and my GPU blowing hot air into the case would be bad which is why i was thinking of a closed loop system.

Ty4on

Hello, my wife wants to buy a computer, something that is not to expensive. Would be used for school work mostly, but I would like for it to able to have some light gaming aspects (Would like to play games such as Amnesia, Half-Life 2) and some media options.

I talked to her about building one, but we aren't 100% confident. Anyways, we have the option to buy one from Costco and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I haven't really been keeping up with computer tech and don't know too much.

We were thinking about getting something under $600.

http://www.costco.com/cpu-only.html...r=cpu-only&categoryId=30383&sortBy=PriceMin|0

Light gaming? It'd look at AMD APUs. They're pretty cheap with the most expensive costing 120$, have enough performance for regular people (that "expensive" chip is a 4Ghz quadcore) and pretty decent integrated graphics that can play some modern games on low.
Part 1 of Anandtechs review testing GPU performance and part 2 which covers CPU performance. You can also go for a pretty small case, just need 200W PSU and space for the CPU cooler, top end APU is 100W TDP. There are small mATX and tiny ITX mobos for FM2 which is the socket.

AndyBNV

Nvidia

All of the systems below $700 lack proper GPUs, so you wouldn't even be able to play HL2 :/ If you can find someone who can help you build a system, you can make something a lot better for a lot less money. For example, http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...ft-ii-heart-of-the-swarm-pc-for-less-than-450

For $700 you could have yourself a system far nicer than that.

kharma45

Build build build.

You can get this for $2 under your budget

CPU: Intel Core i5-3330 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($46.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($69.00 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($42.39 @ Amazon)
Total: $698.32
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-31 16:47 EDT-0400)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Nwx7

Of course you could fiddle around, for light gaming and office work an i3 3220 would probably suffice and would save you a decent amount of cash. I just went straight for your top end budget :p Or you could go for an AMD APU like the A10 5800K as that would be perfect for light gaming and would more than suffice for office work.

Sorral

Yeah, I agree with all the posts above about just building it over a pre-built. All good advices.

Build build build.

Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)

Just a quick question, kharma45: Was there any major reason for picking this motherboard over the H77M micro ATX one from ASRock? Or just because it is not a micro?
It is what I am going to use in my build. The small SSD is something I should reconsider too..

kharma45

I need to order a new power supply for my 7850. Its currently running on my 350w in my computer and I'd like to remedy this right away. Tiger direct seems to have 3 or 4 viable choices in my price range.

I ordered this guy.

http://m.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=899123&SRCCODE=MDOTTD

Do think I should cancel and save a few bucks for this one?

http://m.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4465483&Sku=C283-1220

Stick with what you have, that Cooler Master is pretty poor http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/728

Yeah, I agree with all the posts above about just building it over a pre-built. All good advices.

Just a quick question, kharma45: Was there any major reason for picking this motherboard over the H77M micro ATX one from ASRock? Or just because it is not a micro?
It is what I am going to use in my build. The small SSD is something I should reconsider too..

I picked it simply because it was slightly cheaper than most of the H77 boards I'd been looking at like this one. In hindsight though since the H77 has two Intel 6Gb/s ports, and RAID support whilst the B75 has one Intel 6Gb/s port, and no RAID support the H77 is probably the better buy for a few bucks more but I was just trying to stay within budget.

I generally try to go ATX over Micro ATX unless you need a small board.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hi guys I'm need of some assistance.

I have an i5 3330 + a 560 ti running on a PSU from my old build (corsair 550vx, bought around 2008) but I'm having some issues. These past couple of days, whenever I had the computer doing some intensive 3D work (usually games, but not necessarily) the computer would freeze, then restart after a while. Sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 3 hours, in the end just on powering it up did it. When I first built it about a month ago (mobo, processor, memory and SSD are all new) I had the same problem but after fiddling with some cables I put it down to me connecting something wrong. I even tested it using Prime95 and other similar utilities like free 3D Mark and it worked without a hitch then, but the way the issue started happening again led me to believe it wasn't down to me connecting stuff wrong anymore.

After some troubleshooting I disconnected the 560ti and have it running on integrated graphics, and it is as stable as it was before, although I'm not really stressing it that much now as the main power draw would come from the GFX card, wouldn't it?. I'm suspecting it is the PSU because I put an old 9800GT card in there to test (great card btw :p) and ran FurMark and the PC froze twice, but I don't really have another PC to test it (got rid of my old build) and be sure.

- Is there anything else I could do to see if the PSU is indeed the problem? (I know its kind of old now, so might as well replace it now, but it would suck if that won't fix the issues I'm having). I've googled extensively and the cause for a particular random freeze is pretty hard to lock down, with problems ranging from audio driver issues to a bad windows install, etc.

- I'm probably going for a Corsair CX 600W due to convenience reasons (price, availability, etc.) so I guess my question is what are your thoughts on this? I hear a 500W one should be enough, and I could even get a modular for the same price. The processor is locked anyway, so I'm not going to do OCing or anything like that, but no damage in getting the 600w I guess.

Thanks in advance for any help =)
Run an OCCT / FURMark test and check the temps (Might be good to clean out CPU and GPU fans and heatsinks)
I'd inspect your motherboard for any burst or bulging capacitors
Then unplug and replug everything (PSU power, wall plug, 24 pin, 8 pin, GPU, RAM, HDD power, SATA, etc.)
Run a memtest 86+ for RAM and a SMART diagnostic for your HDD

Work from there as your PSU should be MORE than capable.

the licensee

Neo Member
Hi guys. I've decided it's upgrade time - gonna replace my i5 750 & 560ti with the following:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.79 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500 AT Ball Bearing CPU Cooler (£31.30 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£149.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£240.98 @ Dabs)
Total: £589.05
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-31 23:49 BST+0100)

I currently have a Corsair 450W VX Series PSU. I'm gonna try some overclocking this time so should I be looking at replacing that as well?

Zaru

Hey guys. Are there any major new hardware generations coming out next year that will probably be worth waiting for? I am thinking of replacing my 2009 PC sooner or later, but I wanna postpone it as long as possible (can't play all new games on max anymore)

kharma45

Hi guys. I've decided it's upgrade time - gonna replace my i5 750 & 560ti with the following:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£149.98 @ Amazon UK)

I currently have a Corsair 450W VX Series PSU. I'm gonna try some overclocking this time so should I be looking at replacing that as well?

You'd be better off sticking with your i5 750 and overclocking it and if that doesn't still fulfil you needs wait for Haswell.

Just upgrade your GPU and your PSU, and if you get a good one it could be carried into a new build. I'd rather not chance a new GPU and an overclock on a PSU of that age as they of course deteriorate over time.

Hey guys. Are there any major new hardware generations coming out next year that will probably be worth waiting for? I am thinking of replacing my 2009 PC sooner or later, but I wanna postpone it as long as possible (can't play all new games on max anymore)

Intel is launching Haswell in June, new AMD/Nvidia GPUs are expected at the end of the year.

the licensee

Neo Member
You'd be better off sticking with your i5 750 and overclocking it and if that doesn't still fulfil you needs wait for Haswell.

Just upgrade your GPU and your PSU, and if you get a good one it could be carried into a new build. I'd rather not chance a new GPU and an overclock on a PSU of that age as they of course deteriorate over time.

Thanks!

brentech

I need to order a new power supply for my 7850. Its currently running on my 350w in my computer and I'd like to remedy this right away. Tiger direct seems to have 3 or 4 viable choices in my price range.

I ordered this guy.

http://m.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=899123&SRCCODE=MDOTTD

Do think I should cancel and save a few bucks for this one?

http://m.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4465483&Sku=C283-1220
Obviously up to you, but I have the ThermalTake 700W TR2 that I'll be pulling out of my system tomorrow when I receive my Corsair AX 750. Just replacing for it for a quality gold efficiency modular supply, but no problems with it.
The TR2 has only been in this system since I built in on 3/20. Will sell for the same price you're buying the other one with rebate already reduced. Will ship for free if you're in the US. Still have box, just cut the UPC for when I sent my rebate out...

Up to you. Just thought I'd throw that out there since I'm switching out.

Katyusha

So I've got a question regarding fans and airflow.

Should I have put my AF 140 on the top as an exhaust fan for my R4, or put it in as an intake in the front?

Because I mounted it as an exhaust and it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference.

Ty4on

Ah gotcha. Yeah that's what i have now, i have a hyper 212+ on my CPU. I was afraid having that and my GPU blowing hot air into the case would be bad which is why i was thinking of a closed loop system.

I wouldn't really change. An exaust will exaust a lot less air through a radiator because it has a ton of metal in the way, so I think your case temps could be even lower than with a H80.

Sorral

I picked it simply because it was slightly cheaper than most of the H77 boards I'd been looking at like this one. In hindsight though since the H77 has two Intel 6Gb/s ports, and RAID support whilst the B75 has one Intel 6Gb/s port, and no RAID support the H77 is probably the better buy for a few bucks more but I was just trying to stay within budget.

I generally try to go ATX over Micro ATX unless you need a small board.

Ah, I see. Thanks! Kind of got a bit worried that there was something wrong with it.
I actually don't need a small one. Just that it is one of the cheapest H77's around at $70 and it happened to be a good one although a micro and two ram slots.

Ty4on

Ah, I see. Thanks! Kind of got a bit worried that there was something wrong with it.
I actually don't need a small one. Just that it is one of the cheapest H77's around at $70 and it happened to be a good one although a micro and two ram slots.

Unless you need more than one extra PCI thingy over the GPU go for the cheaper mATX board. Can't use multiple GPUs on H77 anyways.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Don't upgrade your CPU/Mobo yet.

Avoid Zalman 9500/9900, get 212 EVO or other cooler.

7950 will be a very nice upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom