• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a look at the graphs above to see the jumps for example in Crysis 3 and FC3. I'm glad it worked well for you, your CPU is much less of a bottleneck now. You can overclock too but I would stay away from that unless you upgrade your PSU and have a good cooler.

At least you can now look for a GPU. Did you say you were based in Japan? One last thing about your CPU, did the L3 cache get unlocked OK?

I really lucked out choosing this processor. Thanks for giving me a hand with this.

As for the L3 cache, it says there's a total of 6144K, but I don't know what that was before. Does that mean it was unlocked?

kharma45

Luck wasn't with me for once for good deals, missed out on a KFA2 GTX 660 for £100 by a few mins. Would've probably bought two at that price and went SLI.

Edit - Found more for £120, this is tempting.

I really lucked out choosing this processor. Thanks for giving me a hand with this.

As for the L3 cache, it says there's a total of 6144K, but I don't know what that was before. Does that mean it was unlocked?

Yeah that means it has been unlocked successfully, sometimes the cores are duds and won't work and you just end up with a slightly better X2.

The unlocking will be a decent upgrade for you until you've more money about you to change your system fully.

Luck wasn't with me for once for good deals, missed out on a KFA2 GTX 660 for £100 by a few mins. Would've probably bought two at that price and went SLI.

Yeah that means it has been unlocked successfully, sometimes the cores are duds and won't work and you just end up with a slightly better X2.

The unlocking will be a decent upgrade for you until you've more money about you to change your system fully.

Cool. If I can get away with just paying $100 for a video card and have that last me for the next year or two, I'll be very happy. If I'm liking how everything is working out I'll pay the money to build a good gaming PC then.

BTW, I found a used GTX 560 1GB for less than $80. I'm thinking of jumping on it.

Edit: I forgot to answer you before. Yes, I live in Japan.

XShagrath

Gonna finally be asking for a new vidcard for my birthday that's coming up soon. I've decided on the 7950, which should keep my going for a while.

Is there any real preference on cardmaker? I keep going back and forth between the Gigabyte and Sapphire models. The Gigabyte is so big that it'll probably creep into the empty hard drive bays on my case, but three fans is cool. Sapphire has good reviews too. Any input would be awesome!

GHG

If you can get them cheap do it. 660 sli is a beastly setup. I got mine for £300 in total a few months back. Far better deal than a single 670 andboth cheaper and faster than a 680. Gives pretty similar gaming performence to a single titan. These puppies will last me a long while.

Ps. Get the 3gb versions if you can.

kharma45

It says it's "junk". I guess it's broken.

I'm actually trying to stick to nvidia since I'll be dualbooting with linux. Radeons have crappy Linux drivers. I doubt I'll be using Linux for gaming much, but it'd be nice to have the option just in case.

560 Ti that you linked seems to be the best so far but I'll keep scanning through.

If you can get them cheap do it. 660 sli is a beastly setup. I got mine for £300 in total a few months back. Far better deal than a single 670 andboth cheaper and faster than a 680. Gives pretty similar gaming performence to a single titan. These puppies will last me a long while.

Ps. Get the 3gb versions if you can.

3GB is almost twice the price though. I was only really looking at these 660s as they're such a bargain at £100, I've no real need to upgrade the machine I'm thinking of as the 7770 in it still is fine for 1280x1024.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Right, I've got my 3570k at 4.4Ghz at 1.29 voltage on air. I got a max temp of 88c running Prime95 and just played a game and the max temp was 71c with the other cores in the high-60 range for their max.

Does that seem ok?

Dizzan

MINI Member
Hi guys

If I win lotto this Thursday (20million), what is the dream setup right now and how much approx would it cost?

MedIC86

Right, I've got my 3570k at 4.4Ghz at 1.29 voltage on air. I got a max temp of 88c running Prime95 and just played a game and the max temp was 71c with the other cores in the high-60 range for their max.

Does that seem ok?

How long did you run prime? since its a pretty high oc, and i dont know if you want to use that oc 24/7? if you do then i recommend running 24 hours of prime first before you consider something stable. I once had an oc crap out on me after 23hrs of prime.

kharma45

It says it's "junk". I guess it's broken.

I'm actually trying to stick to nvidia since I'll be dualbooting with linux. Radeons have crappy Linux drivers. I doubt I'll be using Linux for gaming much, but it'd be nice to have the option just in case.

Overbudget but how does this look?

http://used.dospara.co.jp/sale/detail.php?serialno=83210000028683

It is a better cooler than the one you've linked, should be cool and quiet like all Gigabyte cards. If there is something wrong/don't want to go over budget then that 560 Ti you've found is probably a solid shout.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
How long did you run prime? since its a pretty high oc, and i dont know if you want to use that oc 24/7? if you do then i recommend running 24 hours of prime first before you consider something stable. I once had an oc crap out on me after 23hrs of prime.

Ran it for 6 hours. Maybe I'll leave it for a day then.

GHG

560 Ti that you linked seems to be the best so far but I'll keep scanning through.

3GB is almost twice the price though. I was only really looking at these 660s as they're such a bargain at £100, I've no real need to upgrade the machine I'm thinking of as the 7770 in it still is fine for 1280x1024.

When you give it context like that id say don't bother at all unless you get a new monitor or use a hdtv. Definatley dont get 2 at that res!

I managed to get my 2 3gb's for 300 so if you shop around you can definately find them cheaper than that.

kharma45

When you give it context like that id say don't bother at all unless you get a new monitor or use a hdtv. Definatley dont get 2 at that res!

I managed to get my 2 3gb's for 300 so if you shop around you can definately find them cheaper than that.

I'm toying with the idea of the 660 and a new 1080p IPS monitor for around £200, would be decent.

Cheapest 3GB 660 is £175 delivered roughly.

Overbudget but how does this look?

http://used.dospara.co.jp/sale/detail.php?serialno=83210000028683

It is a better cooler than the one you've linked, should be cool and quiet like all Gigabyte cards. If there is something wrong/don't want to go over budget then that 560 Ti you've found is probably a solid shout.

Thanks for looking! It looks like this one is mislabeled :-/. I know it says it's GTX560Ti at the top but in the description it says GTX560 OC. Also the box art looks like just the normal 560.

This website has an actual store kind of near me. I think I might go and just see what they have there. They'll probably have more stuff than is up on their site. So would you recommend I look for one of these Gigabyte 560Tis? Since I'll have this computer next to my TV and also use it as a HTPC, it'd be nice to have a quiet GPU.

kharma45

Thanks for looking! It looks like this one is mislabeled :-/. I know it says it's GTX560Ti at the top but in the description it says GTX560 OC. Also the box art looks like just the normal 560.

This website has an actual store kind of near me. I think I might go and just see what they have there. They'll probably have more stuff than is up on their site. So would you recommend I look for one of these Gigabyte 560Tis? Since I'll have this computer next to my TV and also use it as a HTPC, it'd be nice to have a quiet GPU.

Good spot.

Yeah if you want quiet go for one with a good cooler like the Gigabyte, MSI Twin Frozr or the ASUS DCUII. They're all solid brands and should be reliable.

This is as quiet as they come without an aftermarket cooler but it's a triple slot due to the size of the cooler

http://used.dospara.co.jp/sale/detail.php?serialno=83290000014230

What is your full system too? Just to double check your PSU can handle it.

It's a 400W PSU, 2 HDD (one is a WD Green), USB DVD drive, and 2 sticks of 1gb DDR2. I think that's everything that draws power besides the CPU.

I just noticed that last link I posted, the Gigabyte 560Ti, according to the Gigabyte website I need a 500W PSU :(
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3707#ov

kharma45

It's a 400W PSU, 2 HDD (one is a WD Green), USB DVD drive, and 2 sticks of 1gb DDR2. I think that's everything that draws power besides the CPU.

I just noticed that last link I posted, the Gigabyte 560Ti, according to the Gigabyte website I need a 500W PSU :(
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3707#ov

They over-estimate what you actually need, the 560 Ti uses 270w or so under full load.

According to this calculator recommended wattage for that system is 364 watts which with a PSU that's a few years old I would think about changing that too, or we look at some lower powered cards.

ShOcKwAvE

I realize the CPU almost never gets to P95 levels of heat during normal use/gaming, but I wouldn't be comfortable with 88C. My i2500k didn't get that hot until I pumped 1.5V into it the other day, and I immediately stopped the program and backed down to around 1.4V.

They over-estimate what you actually need, the 560 Ti uses 270w or so under full load.

According to this calculator recommended wattage for that system is 364 watts which with a PSU that's a few years old I would think about changing that too, or we look at some lower powered cards.

Would it be dangerous to use the 400W, or would it just shut down if it went over capacity? I'm wondering if I can get away with just the card for now, and get a new PSU in a couple months.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hi guys

If I win lotto this Thursday (20million), what is the dream setup right now and how much approx would it cost?

I threw this together but you could still improve it

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/kharma45/saved/1pys

Dual GTX 690's instead of 3 or 4 Titans? Only 16GB ram? A $140 case instead of a custom painted Silverstone Temjin TJ11B-W? A $110 pre-built water kit and for the cpu only?
If I get some spare time today I may spec out my dream build...

kharma45

Would it be dangerous to use the 400W, or would it just shut down if it went over capacity? I'm wondering if I can get away with just the card for now, and get a new PSU in a couple months.

I believe it should but I'd want someone else to back me up on that or correct me if I am wrong.

Dual GTX 690's instead of 3 or 4 Titans? Only 16GB ram? A $97 case instead of a Silverstone Temjin TJ11B-W?
Madness!

Ah fuck that's the one I did before I noticed the mistake of the 690s, should be this build instead

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/kharma45/saved/1oC1

And that case is almost $150 in your money :p Edit - Actually looking it up on Newegg we don't get screwed too abdly with the prices http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352029

HoosTrax

Anyone know if the Prodigy can take an 2x120mm rad in the top without modification? Thinking XSPC AX240 specifically. Typical air CPU coolers look out of the question for most mini-ITX socket layouts...

I think I might go with a Haswell upgrade and chalk it up to the "I'm a software developer, I can justify it" thing.

kennah

Prodigy can take most air coolers without problem. Hyper 212 will fit with room to spare.

You could probably fit that rad but you would need to remove the 51/2 bay.

HoosTrax

Prodigy can take most air coolers without problem. Hyper 212 will fit with room to spare.

You could probably fit that rad but you would need to remove the 51/2 bay.
It's not the case I'm worried about, it's the location of the CPU socket in relation to the RAM and PCIe slots.

HoosTrax

Which motherboard? The asus and gigabyte both have lots of clearance.
Heh, well that's up in the air until we see some actual Haswell boards right? The Z77 Deluxe looks like it has decent clearance -- some of the others have the CPU slot right up next to the PCIe and look like they'd would be a pain to work with.

Edit: I'm picking out some parts that I can get right now while we wait for Haswell. Including the case. I most likely will need a new PSU as well. Putting a HX1000 in there is going to look absurd, and my HX520 is cutting it close.

Edit: Corsair's warranty is 7 years now? I could have sworn it was 5 years when I bought those two PSUs.

Foofaraw

Hello PCGaf,

I need the best options for a wireless router and a way to use wireless with my desktop. What are my best options? My new house does not allow wired access to both a tv and my computer room.

v0mitg0d

Got a few quick question for you fine folks.

1. What program can I use to actively monitor the temps of my CPU, GPU and mobo. I prefer something nested in the system tray, or even a widget. Just something I can glance at to get a quick read.
  2. What are the acceptable temperature ranges from the CPU, GPU and mobo in Celsius.
  3. My 3770K is overclocked by Falcon-NW and the clock speed can vary depending on the CPU load (at least, I think that's how it works with the i7s), but without going into the BIOS how can I determine how much it's been overclocked?

Note: System specs are i7 3770K, 8GB and GTX 680 2GB.

MedIC86

Got a few quick question for you fine folks.

1. What program can I use to actively monitor the temps of my CPU, GPU and mobo. I prefer something nested in the system tray, or even a widget. Just something I can glance at to get a quick read.
  2. What are the acceptable temperature ranges from the CPU, GPU and mobo in Celsius.
  3. My 3770K is overclocked by Falcon-NW and the clock speed can vary depending on the CPU load (at least, I think that's how it works with the i7s), but without going into the BIOS how can I determine how much it's been overclocked?

Note: System specs are i7 3770K, 8GB and GTX 680 2GB.

1. HWmonitor is pretty nice
2. Kinda depends on the stuff you got but i think you should keep them at least below 60-70 on load (maybe someone else knows more of this)
3. erm i think you can run prime95 (which makes it full load) and then run CPU-z to read out the ghz?

lmpaler

1. HWmonitor is pretty nice
2. Kinda depends on the stuff you got but i think you should keep them at least below 60-70 on load (maybe someone else knows more of this)
3. erm i think you can run prime95 (which makes it full load) and then run CPU-z to read out the ghz?

I've read 75C is the most for OC temps, but the throttle is in the 90s so it depends on how much you want to push it.

Also, never, EVER, let me go back to console only gaming. Seeing all my games at amazing settings and 60 fps is just beautiful.

Hi GAF, best graphics card for < £100 ? My CPU will probably be a bottleneck ( Intel dial core 2.93ghz ) but something to makeover games 2 years or older playable? ( Steam sales ).

Looking at a Radeon 7750 or 7770 at the moment, but what offers best value for money?

kharma45

Hi GAF, best graphics card for < £100 ? My CPU will probably be a bottleneck ( Intel dial core 2.93ghz ) but something to makeover games 2 years or older playable? ( Steam sales ).

Looking at a Radeon 7750 or 7770 at the moment, but what offers best value for money?

Ah damn, if only you'd asked earlier there was a 660 for just over £100. If you could stretch to £120 I could give you some other options for it?

Haha, I appreciate it. This one looks good to me.

Oh, got an akihabara nearby?

bro1

Banned
What does CPU-Z say?

Not the speed in BIOS. Bios says 4.2 and I am getting 3.8 in CPUZ. I think I might not have things set up right in BIOS. It was working fine yesterday but then when I tried doing it manual (not using the OC Tuner) is when the problem started. I'm betting it's user error.

Ah damn, if only you'd asked earlier there was a 660 for just over £100. If you could stretch to £120 I could give you some other options for it?

Oh, got an akihabara nearby?
Yup, Akihabara is close. Actually that site you were helping me look for cards on has a big store in Akihabara. I'm going to go there, wander around, and see if I can find some deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom