• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRTtoZ

Can anyone help me with temps? I Just want to know whats normal for a 680 GTX? I played a Bioshock infinite marathon session and my temps were between 60-65 degrees C. Good? Its the Twin Frozr edition. Also, is there any downside to manually settings the fan myself and letting it run at 60-70%? or should I just leave it on Auto?

mkenyon

Banned
Can anyone help me with temps? I Just want to know whats normal for a 680 GTX? I played a Bioshock infinite marathon session and my temps were between 60-65 degrees C. Good? Its the Twin Frozr edition. Also, is there any downside to manually settings the fan myself and letting it run at 60-70%? or should I just leave it on Auto?
That's good. Kepler downclocks at 70 degrees, so you'll want to keep it below that for maximum performance. If you don't mind giving a bit in that department, you can let it get in the low 80s for less noise.

SRTtoZ

That's good. Kepler downclocks at 70 degrees, so you'll want to keep it below that for maximum performance. If you don't mind giving a bit in that department, you can let it get in the low 80s for less noise.

Well that's why I was messing around with fan speed because I cant hear noise while gaming since I use a headset, so I didn't mind setting the fan at like 70% and letting it keep the card as cool as possible but I dont want to diminish the cards lifespan or anything. Otherwise, it kept the card pretty cool on Auto (autos fan speed was about 50-55%).

mkenyon

Banned
He is getting a Compact Splash from TripT, but I think your statement is accurate. There *will* be a CaseLabs build eventually I'm sure.

kennah

Not going CaseLabs friend. CompactSplash. Whole different game lol.

I ended up passing. Though might get the case anyway since it comes with the powersupply I want for the splash

Edit: mkenyon you son of a bitch (i do totally want one)

Edit 2: the case is by She Loved E and DWood

News Bot

Banned
My 7970 card is running at 90*C at load (non-overclocked) when playing the likes of Far Cry 3, Arma 3 or even Resident Evil 6.

...the fuck?

So, my old CPU PSU seems fried...I was thinking of getting a new PC anyway. I can't build on my own so looking at AVADirect. What do you guys think about:

DESKTOP PC Core™ i5 / i7 Z77 2-way SLI® / CrossFireX™ Performance Custom Computer System $1237.46 $1237.46
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 (RC-912-KKN1) Mid-Tower Case, ATX, No PSU, SECC/Plastic
SEASONIC M12II-750 Bronze 750W Power Supply w/ Modular Cables, 80 PLUS® Bronze, 24-pin ATX12V 2x EPS12V, 4x 8/6-pin PCIe, Retail
ASUS P8Z77-V LK, LGA1155, Intel® Z77, DDR3-2400 (O.C.) 32GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI CF /1+1*, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 5 /4, 6Gb/s /2, DP + HDMI + DVI + VGA, USB 3.0 /6, HDA, GbLAN, ATX, Retail
INTEL Core™ i5-3570K Quad-Core 3.4 - 3.8GHz TB, HD Graphics 4000, LGA1155, 6MB L3 Cache, DDR3-1600, 22nm, 77W, EM64T EIST VT-x XD, Retail
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler, Socket 2011/1155/1156/1366/775/FM1/AM3/AM2, Copper/Aluminum
CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) Vengeance™ LP PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD, GeForce® GTX 670 980MHz, 2GB GDDR5 6008MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, 2x DVI + HDMI + DP, Retail
WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB WD Caviar® Blue™ (WD10EZEX), SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB cache, OEM
RAID No RAID, Independent HDD Drives
ASUS DRW-24B1ST Black 24x DVD±R/RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA, OEM
NONE No Operating System (Choose OS or subject to Limited Support)
WARRANTY Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, 3 Year Labor Warranty)

I have a Samsung SSD on my current PC that I can plug in

Demon Ice

Banned
The comment system is a mess so proper discussion is hard to follow. Plus downvoting can be a pain too, I posted a thing about not going Crossfire using the FCAT data and I was told that was wrong and was downvoted so no one could see my post.

I was on Reddit's r/gamingpc once and a guy told me he would rather go TriFire 7970's than get a GTX Titan.

I almost puked imagining the frame times.

Of course, when I mentioned the frame time issues and linked to an article about them, all the Crossfire users got angry and downvoted me. Oh well.

mkenyon

Banned
My 7970 card is running at 90*C at load (non-overclocked) when playing the likes of Far Cry 3, Arma 3 or even Resident Evil 6.

...the fuck?
Dirty or your heatsink is broken/needs to be reseated.
So, my old CPU PSU seems fried...I was thinking of getting a new PC anyway. I can't build on my own so looking at AVADirect. What do you guys think about:

I have a Samsung SSD on my current PC that I can plug in
Can't say unless I see a price tag. Decent part list though.
Fuijfhajdbcijansijwndcisncoiw! mkenyon how is the MDPC ATX removal tool, the one I got from frozencpu just broke
Made by Molex, so p'good. Plus it says your name on it all fancy. Lutro0 also recommends the MDPC one in specific.
I was on Reddit's r/gamingpc once and a guy told me he would rather go TriFire 7970's than get a GTX Titan.

I almost puked imagining the frame times.

Of course, when I mentioned the frame time issues and linked to an article about them, all the Crossfire users got angry and downvoted me. Oh well.
I was banned from there for posting a link to the Inside the Second TechReport article. Not joking.

I was banned a day earlier for telling a guy to reseat his video card heatsink as he was having issues and it was out of warranty.

The moderators for that subreddit are power trippers to the extreme and hate on anyone who knows what they are talking about. I've seen three people from OCN who are amazing contributors get banned as well.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm starting to see some tiny red spots in some pics/gifs...its harder to notice in games, but im sure i saw some of them too... is that a sign that my video card is slowly dying? :(

If so, what would be the best video card when it comes to quality/value? I do not want to pay something that will cost me over 200$. What i have right now is a Geforce GTX 560 Ti and i was pretty satisfied with it, so if todays video cards under 200$ are better than this, i'll be ok with that..

Hawk269

I am thinking of making the plunge into the 2560x1440 monitors. Which is the best for gaming currently available? Looking for minimum of 27" in size, but also something with low input lag etc.

Thanks for any tips!

Dave_6

Is it ideal to leave sleep mode off on a mid/high end gaming rig? Mine just doesn't want to restart at all or restart properly so I just turned it off for now.

Piano

Banned
I have two questions, one quite simple, another more complex.

What's the smoothest way to upgrade my storage capacity? I currently have a 500GB HDD for Windows / Programs / Games and a 320GB HDD for media files.

I want to switch over to a 2TB as my primary with my current 500GB supplementing for media. I might add an SSD at some point for system files.

How do I migrate everything smoothly without having to spend days copying files and reinstalling everything?

Once I figure that out I move onto deciding whether I want a RAID 1 array.

Simpler question: do you guys build a new set up every few years or just iterate over time? I built my desktop 2.5 years ago and since then have upgraded the RAM and video card. My next big step will be a new mobo / processor once Haswell hits (I'm stuck with AMD). Not sure whether I should keep switching out parts over time or start over.

tehbible

What do you guys think of my $600 gaming rig. It's the best that I could do without sacrificing quality parts / performance

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Sqmm

CPU: Intel Core i5-3330 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($181.12 @ Outlet PC)

Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($56.98 @ Outlet PC)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.20 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($187.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Case ($40.04 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $601.30

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

tehbible

I am thinking of making the plunge into the 2560x1440 monitors. Which is the best for gaming currently available? Looking for minimum of 27" in size, but also something with low input lag etc.

Thanks for any tips!

grab the korean displays. You can get one for $287 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-27-X-ST...anel-Monitor-DVI-D-Matte-Screen-/140956704526

Their pixel policy is 5-6 dead pixel no returns. You can also get the pixel perfect version (no dead pixels) for like $30 dollars more.

Demon Ice

Banned
With old cases, they were use at the top and partial exhaust. Generally, you want airflow going from front/bottom to backtop. In new cases, the PSU sit at the bottom. You no longer need them for extra exhaust work. Having them suck air down is counter productive to the airflow. Also, PSUs last longer, perform better and are more efficient when running cooler. Thus, facing them down and getting cooler air from the outside bottom is the the better route.

How are they able to suck in cool air from the bottom when the case is upright? I've always wondered that about the bottom PSU cases. Isn't the bottom totally blocked, especially if the computer is on carpet?

What do you guys think of my $600 gaming rig. It's the best that I could do without sacrificing quality parts / performance
)

Looks good but $28 more will get you the 550 watt PSU from the OP, which I would recommend for peace of mind in regards to future GPU upgrades.

Also I'm not sure if that motherboard / CPU is capable of OC'ing, something you may want to double check if you were planning on OCing the CPU.

tehbible

Looks good but $28 more will get you the 550 watt PSU from the OP, which I would recommend for peace of mind in regards to future GPU upgrades.

Also I'm not sure if that motherboard / CPU is capable of OC'ing, something you may want to double check if you were planning on OCing the CPU.

this will be a non overclockable rig. it's meant for newbies. It's true I could spend a little more on PSU and be confident that I could use future GPU's though.

Ken

Went to the local computer store and grabbed flyers for two of their desktops. Was wondering which would be good for Photoshop. I'm outside the U.S. so buying online is limited (no Amazon or NewEgg) and shipping alone tends to be really expensive.

Desktop 1 said:
Intel Quad-Core i7-3770 3.4GHz
nVidia GeForce GT 630 2GB
16GB DDR3-1600MHz
2TB SATAIII 7200RPM
Windows 8 64-bit
$1398

Rest of the details are just ethernet, Wi-Fi, and Asus case.

Desktop 2 said:
AMD A8 5600k Quad-Core 3.9 GHz Black Editoon
Gigabyte F2A85X-D3H Motherboard
Radeon HD 7560D
8GB DDR3 Memory
Raidmax Biper CA-321WB ATX case
Coolmax V-600 600W ATX Power Supply
Windows 7
$878

I'm pretty clueless to desktops so any advice would be appreciated.

tehbible

Went to the local computer store and grabbed flyers for two of their desktops. Was wondering which would be good for Photoshop. I'm outside the U.S. so buying online is limited (no Amazon or NewEgg) and shipping alone tends to be really expensive.

lol neither of those. I'd just buy the parts themselves and build it. It's relatively easy to do and there are tons of guides and tutorials online. Give me $800 and I can build a rig way better than both of those.

I can create a build for you now. What is your optimal budget? What will your use case scenario be for the rig? Mainly Photoshop? Any gaming? Encoding?

Ken

lol neither of those. I'd just buy the parts themselves and build it. It's relatively easy to do and there are tons of guides and tutorials online. Give me $800 and I can build a rig way better than both of those.

I can create a build for you now. What is your optimal budget? What will your use case scenario be for the rig? Mainly Photoshop? Any gaming? Encoding?

I filled out the little form in post 13018. Not sure how to link to posts on mobile.

My biggest difficulty is that it seems like only TigerDirect and maybe BestBuy ship to me, and there'd probably be hefty shipping costs. Plus the potential of having to RMA stuff would take awhile.

scogoth

Given your limited access I would go 1 and buy a GPU if you want to game or option 2 if it is purely for photoshop. Both GPUs are anemic for any gaming but not really sure what LoL requirements are.

Ken

Hm I tried checking out stuff on Amazon and it looks like they can do shipping to me, at least for the CPU and GPU. Going to try adding everything one of the Hazaro builds in OP and see if I can get everything.

Edit: Couldn't get the motherboard, case, or hard drive to ship to me.

Shipping is 24 bucks for 8 items so definitely not as bad as I was expecting.

I built my kids a PC 2 weeks ago with some spare parts my brother had sitting around and had to purchase a few other parts to finish the build. The system is running an AMD A3400 CPU. They primarily play games like Minecraft, some of the browser based releases, and some Steam like Left For Dead 2. We've been running off the onboard GPU which is obviously not that great. I needed to get them a cheap GPU that can handle what they play.

I was thinking of going with the GeForce GT 620, 630, or 640? I'm trying not to spend too much, but also do not want to get them something that is underpowered. Any suggestions?

scogoth

I built my kids a PC 2 weeks ago with some spare parts my brother had sitting around and had to purchase a few other parts to finish the build. The system is running an AMD A3400 CPU. They primarily play games like Minecraft, some of the browser based releases, and some Steam like Left For Dead 2. We've been running off the onboard GPU which is obviously not that great. I needed to get them a cheap GPU that can handle what they play.

I was thinking of going with the GeForce GT 620, 630, or 640? I'm trying not to spend too much, but also do not want to get them something that is underpowered. Any suggestions?

I would go 7750 for $100 or GTX650 Ti for $130 otherwise not worth it.

kennah

Ok. There is going to be some serious paying it forward from me in this thread soon. I've been needing to clean up my stuff. Anyone need a 2.8 ghz Core 2 Duo with microatx motherboard and a couple gigs of Ddr2? I was gonna put it in my grandma's computer but I think it can find a good home here.

Can I get any input on if this is good/any changes? I based it on Hazaro's Enhanced - Best Value, but some things had to be changed (ordering everything on Amazon due to gift cards).

CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K

Motherboard
AS Rock LGA1155 Intel Z77 CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 PRO4

RAM
Corsair Vengeance White 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CML8GX3M2A1600C9W)

Graphics
Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7850 2 GB GDDR5 DVI-I/HDMI/2x mini-Displayport PCI-Express 3.0 Graphic Card GV-R785OC-2GD

HDD
WD Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD20EZRX

Power Supply
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550w Power Supply (RS550-PCARE3-US)

Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower Computer Case with High Airflow RC-912-KKN1-AMZ

Optical Drive
Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

SSD
Intel 330 Series Solid-State Drive 60 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5-Inch - SSDSC2CT060A3K5

Total: 901.25

Particularly the SSD and Power Supply, as they are different from Hazaro's build completely, and the graphics card.

Also, I am NOT planning on doing any overclocking, if that makes a big difference. I just want to be able to run games at decent settings without too much hassle on my part.

tehbible

My new ~$500 Gaming Rig. This is probably the best that I can do for a $500 constraint.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/SuCH

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($113.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: MSI H61M-P31/W8 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($47.98 @ Outlet PC)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.20 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ Outlet PC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Logisys 575W ATX12V Power Supply ($21.98 @ Outlet PC)

Total: $517.11 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

kharma45

My new ~$500 Gaming Rig. This is probably the best that I can do for a $500 constraint.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/SuCH

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($113.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: MSI H61M-P31/W8 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($47.98 @ Outlet PC)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ Outlet PC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Logisys 575W ATX12V Power Supply ($21.98 @ Outlet PC)

Total: $517.11 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Don't cheap out on the PSU, please. Go for 4GB RAM or a 650 Ti Boost and use the money saved to get a better PSU, otherwise you risk it blowing and taking out your whole system.

Can I get any input on if this is good/any changes? I based it on Hazaro's Enhanced - Best Value, but some things had to be changed (ordering everything on Amazon due to gift cards).

CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K

Motherboard
AS Rock LGA1155 Intel Z77 CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 PRO4

RAM
Corsair Vengeance White 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CML8GX3M2A1600C9W)

Graphics
Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7850 2 GB GDDR5 DVI-I/HDMI/2x mini-Displayport PCI-Express 3.0 Graphic Card GV-R785OC-2GD

HDD
WD Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD20EZRX

Power Supply
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550w Power Supply (RS550-PCARE3-US)

Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower Computer Case with High Airflow RC-912-KKN1-AMZ

Optical Drive
Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

SSD
Intel 330 Series Solid-State Drive 60 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5-Inch - SSDSC2CT060A3K5

Total: 901.25

Particularly the SSD and Power Supply, as they are different from Hazaro's build completely, and the graphics card.

Also, I am NOT planning on doing any overclocking, if that makes a big difference. I just want to be able to run games at decent settings without too much hassle on my part.

No point getting a Z77 and a 3570K if you're not going to overclock, it's a total waste of money.

Overclocking is so easy to do for both the CPU and GPU it really is worth doing.

Anyone have recommendation for quiet PSU? Only running a GTX580 with no OC and a 2600k up to like 4.2ghz

What's your budget?

Petrie

Banned
Ok. There is going to be some serious paying it forward from me in this thread soon. I've been needing to clean up my stuff. Anyone need a 2.8 ghz Core 2 Duo with microatx motherboard and a couple gigs of Ddr2? I was gonna put it in my grandma's computer but I think it can find a good home here.

How much would you be looking to get out of it? Looking to replace my g/fs families various Dells circa 2005 and anything I can get would be an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom