• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

dabs.com

4gb card prices are freaky

When not where :p if it's in the next month or two remember that Haswell isn't far off (slated for June 2nd) and rumours are circulating that Nvidia will be updating their GPU line up in May as well.

4GB ones aren't cheap no but I feel they offer the chance for greater longevity, and if you do come to SLI then you won't be stuck with 2GB of VRAM.

iavi

Wait until it's tested with two separate cards. They use some special sauce on the 7990 to help with matching frames that might be more effective than a crossfire bridge.

Not saying that it doesn't fix the issues, but I think it's still worth waiting on something concrete.

That's a really good point.

When not where :p if it's in the next month or two remember that Haswell isn't far off (slated for June 2nd) and rumours are circulating that Nvidia will be updating their GPU line up in May as well.

Next month

Yep as you've mentioned I'll try to see how it goes on the Haswell

Read that the 7xx series is coming out in may and I bought a 680 in February D:

So this is what it feels like to be a part of the PC master race...

Addnan

Heh, there's new stuff coming out almost every year. Buy what you need when you need it and it will work fine for many years. Just not gonna be the best.

iavi

That's not exclusive to PC tech, that's just tech in general. At the end of the gen, you get to enjoy better drivers and prices, but gotta expect a new line to be right around the corner.

A card like a 680 will last you just fine for a couple years, though.

mkenyon

Banned
Can some recommend a good pc hardware podcast?
TechReport, no doubt. Anand is pretty good too. Been meaning to listen to PCPerspective's as well, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

To make you feel better, the 770 is rumored to be a rebranded 680.

The USB 3.0 ports on my rig have stopped working, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3. Is there anything that I can do to rule out me being stupid?

They were working but today I noticed that my external hard drive wasn't showing up so I plugged it into a 2.0 port and it's fine. Nothing that I plug into the 3.0 ports works, my mouse lights up for a split second when I plug it into a 3.0 port and that's it.

Did you check device manager to make sure your USB 3 drivers are installed? For your board it's fresco USB 3.0 driver(from gigabytes site)

Well, that about seals the deal; I'm getting a second 7950 when that patch drops. That about fixes everything.

Witcher 3, you don't phase me.

Even if it is as good as the GTX690 frametime-wise it's not good enough for me. Not touching CFX or SLI until the tech gets overhauled to achieve:

1. No input lag
2. No added stutter compared to single card config (stutter when you mouselook and move)
3. No microstutter (runt frames)

mkenyon

Banned
Crossfire doesn't have any input lag, that's an SLI specific thing. If the drivers are as impressive as they first seem, I wouldn't imagine much stutter, especially if playing on a 120Hz display. I've never noticed much stuttering at all on my 690, though I never really noticed it on the 7970 either.

M3z_

Definitely think I will sell off my 7970's to get a pair of 780's, just hope they don't end up more than $649 a piece.

Crossfire doesn't have any input lag, that's an SLI specific thing. If the drivers are as impressive as they first seem, I wouldn't imagine much stutter, especially if playing on a 120Hz display. I've never noticed much stuttering at all on my 690, though I never really noticed it on the 7970 either.

Perhaps the new secret CFX sauce causes input lag like SLI does? :)
Yes, I saw less stutter when I was running the GTX 690 on my 100Hz CRT compared to my Kuro, but disabling SLI on either the 100Hz or 60Hz display did result in a smoother gaming experience. Could you give that a go on your monitor?

scogoth

Anyone tried the new AMD beta drivers (13.4)? Heard they're supposed to clean up xfire stutter and maybe improve frame latency too...

Not sure about 13.4 but the preview drivers everyone used to review the 7990 are not publicly available and will not be until June at the earliest.

scogoth

It is my unerstanding that the reason crossfire never used frame metering is because it added input lag. The frame metering they are adding will add input lag much like SLI does now. Source was the bajillion pcper articles just can't remember which one specifically mentioned that.

Yeah reading the article now, frame metering in CFX adds delay which will most likely add input delay as well. Not looking good!

Also animation smoothness is a good terminology to describe the stutter that you get with current GPU rendering tech; single gpu configs so far have superior animation smoothness compared to multi-gpu set ups, frame metered or not.

scogoth

Yeah reading the article now, frame metering in CFX adds delay which will most likely add input delay as well. Not looking good!

Also animation smoothness is a good terminology to describe the stutter that you get with current GPU rendering tech; single gpu configs so far have superior animation smoothness compared to multi-gpu set ups, frame metered or not.

Its true but there needs be 15 billion transistor, 375W, 1.5GHz, 12GB monster single GPU for running crysis 3 at 5760x1080 at 120FPS consistent.

mkenyon

Banned
It is my unerstanding that the reason crossfire never used frame metering is because it added input lag. The frame metering they are adding will add input lag much like SLI does now. Source was the bajillion pcper articles just can't remember which one specifically mentioned that.

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Looks like I'll be staying single card in the future.

mkenyon

Banned
[troll]Well it's not like a game as jankie and lame as BF3 really suffers from the input lag. I'm talking about competitive games.[/troll]

scogoth

Hey maybe if you got on mumble and played with other gaffers once in awhile you might actually enjoy it! Hell we even got a guy from France who plays with us. But I digress.....PC parts, stuff and whatever we talk about here

mkenyon

Banned
The more I look at the Bitfenix Prodigy the better it looks. I wouldn't mind building a midget pc someday...
Next to a Define R4:

r0BW4l.jpg

I think it's the best gaming case available though. Large enough to house some serious hardware as well as enough fan spots to get away with quality, low RPM choices to keep noise down.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
SFF for life!
Sometimes I even think my teeny little tower is too big.

A.Romero

Does anyone know if a xfx 7950 dd (non black) is overclockable?

I'm just curious, I think is too hot here to actually do it...

Dave_6

My non OC'd 7970 runs around 58-61C temp wise while playing Crysis 3 (1080p, avg 47-60fps with mix of high/very high settings). Are those normal temps?

mr2xxx

Banned

I was going to get an SFF case to use in the living room as a HTPC but most of them were ugly or didn't have enough room. I was seriously considering an X51 but it didn't have enough hard drive space, I know NAS blah blah but still. If you want a beautiful HTPC case with enough room for a powerful card and hard drives then I suggest the Node 605. Its not small by any means, its as big as a stereo receiver but it has a great minimalist styling that doesn't stand out in a living room. It gets the wife's seal of approval.

woman-slapping-man%5B1%5D.jpg

What Kharma said above. Also, the X660 is on sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088&Tpk=seasonic x650&IsVirtualParent=1

Promo code EMCYTZT3330 for an additional 15% off, which makes it a bit cheaper than the XFX one.

To be clear, these are all pretty much the same powersupply. Seasonic is the OEM for those XFX Pro's and the Corsair AX series (though not the AX x60i, though they are still great).

Thanks guys. Ordered the XFX one on Amazon.

Hey guys, so I'm currently running this build, not overclocked yet, but I had a question about temperatures for the CPU.

Just doing basic stuff (i.e. having Steam open, Skype open, and some internet windows open) the temperature spread between the four cores is 40-44 for the first one, and then about 33-36 for the other ones.

However.

When I was running Bioshock Infinite on very high, the temperature spread (at max) was 58 celsius for the first core, 56 for the second, 53 for the third, and 54 for the last.

Should I be concerned for these temperatures at all? I'm almost a bit nervous for overclocking now since I'm a bit unsure about temperature ranges...

MisterNoisy

I think it's the best gaming case available though. Large enough to house some serious hardware as well as enough fan spots to get away with quality, low RPM choices to keep noise down.

I also love that it's extremely portable because of the handles, so you can bring it to LAN events/parties with ease. :D

mr2xxx

Banned
Looking at the alienware site, one of the configurations comes with a 2TB hdd. How much hdd space to you want?
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd.aspx

I already had 1 SSD and 3 other hard drives from my previous build. Getting the case allowed me to use the harddrives and most of my older hardware like the PSU, GPU, and Ram, so I saved money by doing that. I only ended up spending around 400 for the case, 3570K and a mb.

kharma45

Hey guys, so I'm currently running this build, not overclocked yet, but I had a question about temperatures for the CPU.

Just doing basic stuff (i.e. having Steam open, Skype open, and some internet windows open) the temperature spread between the four cores is 40-44 for the first one, and then about 33-36 for the other ones.

However.

When I was running Bioshock Infinite on very high, the temperature spread (at max) was 58 celsius for the first core, 56 for the second, 53 for the third, and 54 for the last.

Should I be concerned for these temperatures at all? I'm almost a bit nervous for overclocking now since I'm a bit unsure about temperature ranges...

No, they're fine. As long as you're below 80 it's all good.

Celcius

°Temp. member

And also looks great water-cooled:
(not my pictures)

wC8Ck2u.jpg

LBdWUie.jpg

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but fuck it. I don't like the Bitfenix Prodigy. To me, it defeats the purpose of sff or mini itx cases. It's almost big enough to be a mATX mini tower. At that point, I'd just buy a mATX case/mobo and not be as limited with the mITX form factor for gaming and high performance systems. I put the Bitfenix Prodigy in gaming laptop territory, yes they both exist for certain use cases, but give me a mid tower or better for gaming pcs/water cooling. Excuse me while I go put on my flame repellent suit.

How do you guys sell your GPUs? Ebay or Craigslist?

I sold my Asus GTX 570 CUII on Ebay when the GTX 670 came out. I sold it for $200 or $230(can't remember), probably could have sold it for more.

Edit: Bastard never gave me any feedback either. I had all the original materials and packaging and packed the 570 very well. I keep my equipment in great shape and am a non-smoker. If I knew that someone kept their items in as good as shape as mine, I would buy used parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom