• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

demented

So I've put together my new PC and came upon first problem: when my sound card drivers and program that comes with them is installed (xonar dg) booting takes over a minute, hangs on starting windows logo, I see it flashing so it's not frozen, but when I remove it it boots up in matter of seconds.

What do?

brentech

Will have to wait and see what happens with upcoming games and such.
If new cards do release in the next few months, I think I'll be waiting till 800 series unless I truly start to feel the need within a game I'm playing.

I have a little dip here and there, but playing BF3 on the MSI OC version of the 660 I'm able to stay pretty stable at 60FPS. That's all I really ask for.

Probably let the console stuff pan out and see where cards go from there.

So I've put together my new PC and came upon first problem: when my sound card drivers and program that comes with them is installed (xonar dg) booting takes over a minute, hangs on starting windows logo, I see it flashing so it's not frozen, but when I remove it it boots up in matter of seconds.

What do?
If you've installed a sound card, go into your BIOS and ensure that your on-board sound is disabled. Otherwise they will conflict.

Ty4on

Money isn't really a problem. I'm hesitant to get anything Corsair now, haha - are the lower wattage ones more quiet? I don't even mind springing for a Platinum rated one if it means its quieter/better.

With a lower wattage PSU the efficiency at lower wattage goes up relative to overall efficiency.
In other words:
10005-1.jpg
And that is why going overkill with PSU isn't worth it. Dual 690 and a 2011 CPU still doesn't (at least in the time to live customs vid) hit 1000W and Ivy Bridge uses a lot less juice.
I also feel most forget that the computer isn't running 100% most of the time and it's in idle/low load I want my rig to be efficient and quiet. Heck even in gaming you rarely hit 100%. Really hope fanless modes will become more common with CPU and GPU coolers when there is just 10W heat to remove.

Edit: But this is the biggest difference:
The AX1200 is a flextronics. The AX660 is a Seasonic with a Nidec-Servo fan, which is the quietest kind out there.

mkenyon

Banned
Good recommendation for a $100 or less gaming headset?

anyone have a thought on the

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826816005

my wireless one has to much crackle and its driving me nuts.
The OP. Steelseries Flux.
Money isn't really a problem. I'm hesitant to get anything Corsair now, haha - are the lower wattage ones more quiet? I don't even mind springing for a Platinum rated one if it means its quieter/better.
The AX1200 is a flextronics. The AX660 is a Seasonic with a Nidec-Servo fan, which is the quietest kind out there.

Argyle

fuck it really dun want to make a new thread...
I had a Vizio HDTV 720p <-awesome tv... had it for 5 years but it quit a few days ago, it had a DVI PC hook-up and on 1280X768 my PC looked fucking fabulous on it... well. I got a new HDTV today.. not really new, but its an Toshiba 1080p LED 3d.... it has the same DVI on the back.. but my pc has terrible blurry text.. everything looks great but the text... my card is a R5870 but I don't have the option for 1080p nor does it have a hdmi hook-up on the back.. I got these res options used them all and not sure what to do...
pretty sure this is a 240Hz tv not sure if that is the problem....
iblhZKogtBi9X.png

ans please help me and not just say to get a pc monitor it worked perfect with my other hdtv... :( I mainly use it for my PC... D3 looks terrible text wise its so blurry

Try getting a DVI to HDMI adapter and hooking up to your TV that way, some TVs do not support their native resolution over VGA/DVI.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thinking about Updates:

CPUs to Ivy
Replacements for the VP450 and BP550 (Since they are hard to find now it seems) [Possibly CX430M, something else]
Taking a look at some of the new boards like MSI Gaming

Thoughts?

pixelpushr

Neo Member
How is this build? It's largely based on the enthusiast build in the OP with a few changes.

I'll use it mainly for gaming (MMOs) and that's it, no video editing or streaming.

The two main things I'm not sure about are the Motherboard and sound card so any suggestions for those would be helpful. I feel like I could probably go with a cheaper sound card.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)

Motherboard: AS Rock LGA1155 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 Quad CrossFireX and Quad SLI A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 EXTREME4

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster ZX SBX PCIE Gaming Sound Card with Audio Control Module SB1506

Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series AX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX850)

HDD: WD Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD20EZRX

Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series Black 650D Mid Tower Computer Case

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5, DVI, DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort, 4-way SLI Ready Graphics Card

Damnit. I just built my computer, and the new shit's on the way.

Ah well. It's not that big of a deal. My current rig is way above my last one, and I still need to pick up my video card.

The USB 3.0 ports on my rig have stopped working, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3. Is there anything that I can do to rule out me being stupid?

They were working but today I noticed that my external hard drive wasn't showing up so I plugged it into a 2.0 port and it's fine. Nothing that I plug into the 3.0 ports works, my mouse lights up for a split second when I plug it into a 3.0 port and that's it.

kharma45

Thinking about Updates:

CPUs to Ivy
Replacements for the VP450 and BP550 (Since they are hard to find now it seems) [Possibly CX430M, something else]
Taking a look at some of the new boards like MSI Gaming

Thoughts?

well newegg still has the BP550 but I do remember seeing it was out of stock before that and it looks like the price went up

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016&Tpk=bp550&IsVirtualParent=1

VP 450 available too. CX 430M is a decent alternative though if the VP isn't available for the budget build, can be had for $35 atm after MIR.

It'd be worth updating the G860 to a G2020. Is the AMD Athlon X4 750K available in the USA? Would be a potential option for the budget build. It's essentially the AMD A10 5800K sans the iGPU.

How is this build? It's largely based on the enthusiast build in the OP with a few changes.

I'll use it mainly for gaming (MMOs) and that's it, no video editing or streaming.

The two main things I'm not sure about are the Motherboard and sound card so any suggestions for those would be helpful. I feel like I could probably go with a cheaper sound card.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)

Motherboard: AS Rock LGA1155 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 Quad CrossFireX and Quad SLI A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 EXTREME4

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster ZX SBX PCIE Gaming Sound Card with Audio Control Module SB1506

Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series AX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX850)

HDD: WD Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD20EZRX

Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series Black 650D Mid Tower Computer Case

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5, DVI, DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort, 4-way SLI Ready Graphics Card

Where are you buying from? PSU wise the Seasonic and XFX versions of that PSU are usually cheaper, I'd go for them and put the money towards an SSD as you don't want to be using a WD Green as your boot drive.

Get low profile RAM too.

The USB 3.0 ports on my rig have stopped working, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3. Is there anything that I can do to rule out me being stupid?

They were working but today I noticed that my external hard drive wasn't showing up so I plugged it into a 2.0 port and it's fine. Nothing that I plug into the 3.0 ports works, my mouse lights up for a split second when I plug it into a 3.0 port and that's it.

Fixed.

Rektash

Planning to buy a new rig next week - any thoughts/suggestions on this one:

• CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 4x 3.40GHz
  • CPU Cooling: Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A
  • Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
  • RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black DDR3-1600
  • GPU: 2048MB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC
  • Power Supply: 620 Watt Seasonic M12II Bronze Modular
  • SSD: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro Series
  • Case: Fractal Define R4 Midi Tower
  • ChFan: Fractal FD Silent 140mm (Total of 3x in Case)

-> ~1200&#8364;

My goal was to build a PC that can be overclocked to about 4-4,2Ghz without sacrificing a lot to sound/heat level. Stable allrounder with plenty of processing power for games/watching streams/surfing gaf/pcsx2 and dolphin emulation, more or less. Don t need a lot of storage so single SSD with 256Gb should be enough for me. Only thing i am unsure of is the CPU fan. According to various internet forums the Macho will fit into the Fractal Define R4 with the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 but it seems to be a tight fit.

Demon Ice

Banned
HD 7990 reviews are starting to pop up, PC Perspective has a frame rating analysis of it.

I'll save your guys' time, HD 7990 frame times are very slightly improved over Crossfire 7970s but still nowhere near as good as Nvidia's stuff.

Which is a shame, because the HD 7990 comes with $400 worth of free games, every game in the Never Settle Bundle is included.

www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-HD-7990-6GB-Review-Malta-Gets-Frame-Rated

Edit: But wait! There's hope! AMD also gave PCPer a beta driver that addresses Crossfire frame time issues on single display configurations, will be released to the public this summer. Results:

www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-AMD-Improves-CrossFire-Prototype-Driver

Fantastic improvement, it ends up matching the GTX 690 in terms of frame times. It's a shame this fix doesn't extend to multi monitor setups YET.

Anton668

Why a sound card? are you a audiophile? Onboard sound has come along way to the point that unless your doing audio work and such, you really dont need it.

and last I knew MMO's arent really pushing the boundarys in the sound department.

Ty4on

Edit: But wait! There's hope! AMD also gave PCPer a beta driver that addresses Crossfire frame time issues on single display configurations, will be released to the public this summer. Results:

www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-AMD-Improves-CrossFire-Prototype-Driver

Fantastic improvement, it ends up matching the GTX 690 in terms of frame times. It's a shame this fix doesn't extend to multi monitor setups YET.

It's not perfect, but it's getting there. Will be huge if they can nail this and get it working for multi monitor. Dat dual 384bit bus will be put to great use for triple screen.
Why a sound card? are you a audiophile? Onboard sound has come along way to the point that unless your doing audio work and such, you really dont need it.

and last I knew MMO's arent really pushing the boundarys in the sound department.
AFAIK if you have a very (?) high end headset you might want a sound card that has enough wattage to power it. Otherwise like you said onboard is good enough for most.

Demon Ice

Banned
It's not perfect, but it's getting there. Will be huge if they can nail this and get it working for multi monitor. Dat dual 384bit bus will be put to great use for triple screen.

Yep. Plus that massive games bundle really helps to offset the cost.

Unsurprisingly, the clowns over at r/gamingpc are downvoting / banning any mention of AMD Crossfire frame time issues. Dipshits.

demented

I have 8 gb of ram and my page file is 7.9 at the moment (iirc) which is annoying on 128 gb SSD so I'm wondering if I should move it to HDD or just shrink it?
Is there any reason to keep it over 1/2 gb besides full memory dumps on BSOD ?

Dave_6

Since I'm new to all this, is it usually better to run V-Sync with something like Radeon Pro rather than use the in-game V-Sync? I'm gaming on a plasma TV if it matters.

MedIC86

My motherboard has an onboard xfi chip, but when i added a xonar card i heard a big difference. But then again i have pretty good quality speakers, maybe it doesnt matter if you are running logitech or something.

Trying to decide on a GPU is giving me a headache. If the 700 series isn't out till this June, should I just wait till Fall for it or settle with 7970 Ghz? I was also tempted to get a 690/7990 but people were saying buying a "relatively" mid-range card would allow more financial flexibility to upgrade down the road.

I don't wanna get a $500 GPU then upgrade a year later when Maxwell is out, that'd be dumb.

Settle? Thats a hell of a card to settle with!

Are you running a multimonitor setup?

JB1981

Are there any LCD monitors on the market that have actual good black levels? Like, if I value a display with good blacks, should I even bother doing the research or are most of these LCDs basically the same?

brentech

I have 8 gb of ram and my page file is 7.9 at the moment (iirc) which is annoying on 128 gb SSD so I'm wondering if I should move it to HDD or just shrink it?
I shrunk mine to 1024MB

Considered building yourself?

I've thought about it but the problem is if I might miss to include some kind of hardware ie. cables

I've looking for a decent build that's capable of recording game play without any hiccups. This would be the first time I'm building a PC

Same budget £1000

kharma45

I've thought about it but the problem is if I might miss to include some kind of hardware ie. cables

I've looking for a decent build that's capable of recording game play without any hiccups. This would be the first time I'm building a PC

Same budget £1000

Everything you need will come with your parts as long as you don't buy anything OEM.

I'll throw you something together quickly. Is it just for gaming?

Xdrive05

Anyone tried the new AMD beta drivers (13.4)? Heard they're supposed to clean up xfire stutter and maybe improve frame latency too...

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for input, very helpful. However, can't find the AX660 on Newegg or Corsair; is 750 good?
What Kharma said above. Also, the X660 is on sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088&Tpk=seasonic x650&IsVirtualParent=1

Promo code EMCYTZT3330 for an additional 15% off, which makes it a bit cheaper than the XFX one.

To be clear, these are all pretty much the same powersupply. Seasonic is the OEM for those XFX Pro's and the Corsair AX series (though not the AX x60i, though they are still great).

kharma45

Yes, thanks

Could you please get a mobo that is capable of SLI? Thanks

Yep

Right got you something sorted as a starting point http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/SL2m

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£105.35 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£53.56 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£77.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£51.08 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB Video Card (£263.59 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£75.54 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£112.00 @ Ebuyer)

Total: £931.59

Plenty of dosh left over too if you wanted to upgrade to a 670 instead of the 660 Ti, which I would be inclined to do as the 7950 is a better buy at the price point that the 660 Ti inhabits. I would imagine though if you are asking for an SLI compatible motherboard you'll be wanting to go for an Nvidia card though.

Right got you something sorted as a starting point http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/SL2m

Plenty of dosh left over too if you wanted to upgrade to a 670 instead of the 660 Ti, which I would be inclined to do as the 7950 is a better buy at the price point that the 660 Ti inhabits. I would imagine though if you are asking for an SLI compatible motherboard you'll be wanting to go for an Nvidia card though.

Yep gonna go with the 670

Cheers for the help

Might edit a few bits and will post one as well

iavi

HD 7990 reviews are starting to pop up, PC Perspective has a frame rating analysis of it.

I'll save your guys' time, HD 7990 frame times are very slightly improved over Crossfire 7970s but still nowhere near as good as Nvidia's stuff.

Which is a shame, because the HD 7990 comes with $400 worth of free games, every game in the Never Settle Bundle is included.

www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-HD-7990-6GB-Review-Malta-Gets-Frame-Rated

Well, that about seals the deal; I'm getting a second 7950 when that patch drops. That about fixes everything.

Witcher 3, you don't phase me.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, that about seals the deal; I'm getting a second 7950 when that patch drops. That about fixes everything.
Wait until it's tested with two separate cards. They use some special sauce on the 7990 to help with matching frames that might be more effective than a crossfire bridge.

Not saying that it doesn't fix the issues, but I think it's still worth waiting on something concrete.

kitch9

Banned

Page file is best left untouched on a ssd. Your other alternatives will slow your system down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom