• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razetheworld is ok. They try to hard to be funny sometimes. I would never use their tests as gospel though before reading other sites findings. They don't seem very scientific the way they do things.

Pavaloo

Ah! Build is done and she is running like a beaut!

Had wayyy too many issues trying to run OS X and Windows on the same drive, so I opted to just install Windows.

Thankfully, the motherboard I got already came with decent 5.1 audio built into it, so I can return the sound card I bought and put that money towards a separate SSD for OSX to install later.

My cable management is also horrible, but it's my first time! lol. As soon as I buy that second SSD I'll make sure to re-wire everything.

Man, feels great now that I've done it!

Thanks to everyone here for their help! Special thanks to Kennah for dealing with my constant troubleshooting and general noobness!

Now to get some BF3 going..

dorkimoe

Run the game in borderless mode, and select a portion that is not quite your full screen. That's the trick.

XSplit has almost nothing to do with a videocard. That performance hit is entirely due to your CPU being taxed heavily.

An even better upgrade would be a Capture Card, which would offload the capture and encoding process to that card. Avermedia Gamer HD is the best and can stream at 60FPS.

tried everything. I have it in borderless window mode, Ive tried everything. I tried game mode, i tried screen selection. Everyone is saying ATI cards dont work with it? I have tried other programs too, not just xsplit. I have plenty of CPU power im pretty sure...

What would a good card be to upgrade though?
But i will definitely look up the capture card idea

mkenyon

Banned
tried everything. I have it in borderless window mode, Ive tried everything. I tried game mode, i tried screen selection. Everyone is saying ATI cards dont work with it? I have tried other programs too, not just xsplit. I have plenty of CPU power im pretty sure...

What would a good card be to upgrade though?
But i will definitely look up the capture card idea
Plenty of CPU power has nothing to do with it. While trying to stream T:A, I had a friend with two 680s and a 3930K @ 4.5GHz have his performance completely trashed. Same with my systems, and I tried with both a 7970 and 690. The capture card is the only way to increase the performance you are talking about.

The two games you mentioned in specific are heavily bottlenecked by CPU power. Anything that happens to the CPU is then directly removed from your game, in terms of power allocation.

What you should try in the meantime is use Dxtory for capturing, and then have that source spit it out to XSplit, rather than XSplit grabbing the image.

A noticeable upgrade from the 5850 would be a 7950 or GTX670, though I would very much be inclined towards suggesting the 7950 due to higher memory bandwidth. It'll be a great card for a longer period than the 670. In either case, upgrading the video card won't have a noticeable impact on your streaming performance in those games.

Have you overclocked your CPU?

bro1

Banned
This is a gamebug right? Playing TR 2013 on my gtx 670 w/314.22 drivers and a 3570k on stock and the screen artifacts 100% except the music keeps playing and the menus work fine. I tran 3Dmark for an hour and heaven valley for 2 hours afterwards. No problem. Temps top out at 61. Game right? FC3 ran fine on the card. I don't have anything else installed to try.

mkenyon

Banned
This is a gamebug right? Playing TR 2013 on my gtx 670 w/314.22 drivers and a 3570k on stock and the screen artifacts 100% except the music keeps playing and the menus work fine. I tran 3Dmark for an hour and heaven valley for 2 hours afterwards. No problem. Temps top out at 61. Game right? FC3 ran fine on the card. I don't have anything else installed to try.
Try rolling back drivers.

Ty4on

You know I think those videos (and the rest of his channel) are fucking balls :p At that price the 8320 has a decent niche, bang in-between the i3 3220 and the cheapest i5.

They'll have a lot of fun overclocking it, so that's one positive. It's also more powerful than any i5 in threaded tasks.

The downside with the 8320 is that you have to pay more for MB and PSU (and probably also cooler, the TIM actually works!) to overclocked it well. MBs are that cheap, but Ivy Bridge overclocks quite well with just 4pin power, 8XXX chips throttle at stock with 4pin power :p

TheD

The Detective
Plenty of CPU power has nothing to do with it. While trying to stream T:A, I had a friend with two 680s and a 3930K @ 4.5GHz have his performance completely trashed. Same with my systems, and I tried with both a 7970 and 690. The capture card is the only way to increase the performance you are talking about.

The two games you mentioned in specific are heavily bottlenecked by CPU power. Anything that happens to the CPU is then directly removed from your game, in terms of power allocation.

What you should try in the meantime is use Dxtory for capturing, and then have that source spit it out to XSplit, rather than XSplit grabbing the image.

A noticeable upgrade from the 5850 would be a 7950 or GTX670, though I would very much be inclined towards suggesting the 7950 due to higher memory bandwidth. It'll be a great card for a longer period than the 670. In either case, upgrading the video card won't have a noticeable impact on your streaming performance in those games.

CPU power does have a lot to do with streaming performance.

dorkimoe should make sure that he is not using a too heavy encoding profile (no faster than very fast, maybe try super or ultra fast).

A capture card for encoding is a very bad idea, all hardware encoders are complete shit compared to x.264, his stream will look much worse for the bitrate.

He should also try OBS before buying Dxtory, OBS is known to have much faster screen capture than xsplit.

Kharma's "I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1 of RAZETHEWORLD IS MY IDOL

Uhh, that's the fucking idiot that keeps on shilling AMD's shit CPUs.

TheD

The Detective
You're right, and I worded that poorly. I should have said "No processor is beefy enough to support quality streaming in CPU demanding games".

Avermedia Gamer HD encodes with H.264.

http://www.twitch.tv/kudochop/c/2202827

H.264 is a video format, x.264 is a software encoder that encodes video into the H.264 format, all hardware encoders (including the avermedia) that encode video into the H.264 format suck and do a much worse job for the bitrate than x.264.

that's the joke :p
Ohh.

Are leaked GPU release dates pretty reliable from wccftech? Might wait for the 780 if it's coming out this May.

I decided to build a PC instead of consoles since I'm gonna try no console gaming for a while.

mkenyon

Banned
H.264 is a video format, x.264 is a software encoder that encodes video into the H.264 format, all hardware encoders (including the avermedia) that encode video into the H.264 format suck and do a much worse job for the bitrate than x.264
I don't know man, that stream I linked looks p'good.

I'll take your word for it, but at any rate, when you're talking competitive games, slightly degraded stream quality versus consistent frame times doesn't even register as a possible conflict.

B-Dex

Ok I changed the psu since a better one was on sale:

GTX 660 Ti 2GB
i5 3570k
msi z77a-g45 mobo
samsung 840 120gb ssd
wd black 1tb hdd
samsung dvd drive
corsair vengeance 8gb ddr3 1600
cm hyper 212
bitfenix shinobi
Seasonic x750 modular
win 8 ( :( )

I think that should be good. I guess I could wait until june to see the new intel prices or should they be similar?

kharma45

Ok I changed the psu since a better one was on sale:

GTX 660 Ti 2GB
i5 3570k
msi z77a-g45 mobo
samsung 840 120gb ssd
wd black 1tb hdd
samsung dvd drive
corsair vengeance 8gb ddr3 1600
cm hyper 212
bitfenix shinobi
Seasonic x750 modular
win 8 ( :( )

I think that should be good. I guess I could wait until june to see the new intel prices or should they be similar?

For a single GPU the 650w version of that Seasonic is plenty, and it's on sale with Newegg for $80 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088. I'd change that SSD too. For 120GB look to the Kingston's or the Crucial M4 at the lower end, for 250GB+ though the standard 840 is fine.

Prices aren't going to change much when Haswell launches, your call if you want to wait or not. Nvidia will be launching the 760 Ti then too if the rumours are to be believed. One last thing, is that RAM low profile?

Motherboard wise this MSI is better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130644&Tpk=MSI Z77A-GD55&IsVirtualParent=1

B-Dex

For a single GPU the 650w version of that Seasonic is plenty, and it's on sale with Newegg for $80 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088. I'd change that SSD too. For 120GB look to the Kingston's or the Crucial M4 at the lower end, for 250GB+ though the standard 840 is fine.

Prices aren't going to change much when Haswell launches, your call if you want to wait or not. Nvidia will be launching the 760 Ti then too if the rumours are to be believed. One last thing, is that RAM low profile?

Motherboard wise this MSI is better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130644&Tpk=MSI Z77A-GD55&IsVirtualParent=1

Switched to that mobo (it was actually cheaper!) and swapped the ram for low proifle to be safe. Will save me 20 bucks. I can get a good deal on the psu. So I don't mind spending a bit extra there. Plus one less upgrade in the future (potentially).

Mandoric

Banned
I don't know man, that stream I linked looks p'good.

I'll take your word for it, but at any rate, when you're talking competitive games, slightly degraded stream quality versus consistent frame times doesn't even register as a possible conflict.

Is complete frame accuracy really important for stream viewers, after any encoder's hiccups/Twitch hiccups/connection hiccups/Flash hiccups?

x264 is amazingly better (~2x) at same quality for non-realtime compared to the reference encoder, which is in turn better at quality than most h/w implementations. This is probably the kind of thing that differs per game, though, with the wildly different threading performance of engines and the difference in image detail.

It'd probably be a really fascinating thing to benchmark for various titles, if we could decide where 59fps rather than 60fps was good enough.

HPhins54

Neo Member
I'm looking to build my first gaming PC, and came up with a rough draft build after spending a few hours reading reviews and searching on Amazon and Newegg (and this topic, of course).

I'm in the US and was looking to spend around $800, but ended up around $900 (which is okay, I don't mind spending a little extra if it's justified)

By far the biggest use will be gaming and everyday web browsing/video watching. Mainly looking to play things like Battlefield and Diablo 3 on high settings without having noticeable drops in framerate (might throw in a little WoW as well). Looking to hopefully get 60fps at 1080p with this setup in something like BF3.

I'll be buying a new monitor. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck for gaming. Something with the lowest possible input lag. Looking at spending around $200 max for the monitor. Was thinking about the 23-24 inch range.

Probably won't be building this for another 4-8 weeks. I don't know if I'll be overclocking it, but I'd like the option to.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UT7c

- i5-3570k
- Cooler Master hyper 212
- Asrock Z77 extreme4
- Corsair Vengeance 8GB (low profile)
- Crucial M4 64GB SSD
- Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB hard drive
- EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
- Cooler Master HAF 912
- Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze
- DVD writer

My biggest concerns are setting up the SSD and if 64GB is large enough. I think the CPU cooler should fit with that tower and the low profile RAM.

I'm really new to all of this and would greatly appreciate some feedback.

B-Dex

Actually I think i'll go for a 650 Ti Boost... performance difference seems to only be about 10-20 fps at 1080p compared to a 660 Ti. Plus I'll save myself about 150 dollars.

kharma45

I'm looking to build my first gaming PC, and came up with a rough draft build after spending a few hours reading reviews and searching on Amazon and Newegg (and this topic, of course).

I'm in the US and was looking to spend around $800, but ended up around $900 (which is okay, I don't mind spending a little extra if it's justified)

By far the biggest use will be gaming and everyday web browsing/video watching. Mainly looking to play things like Battlefield and Diablo 3 on high settings without having noticeable drops in framerate (might throw in a little WoW as well). Looking to hopefully get 60fps at 1080p with this setup in something like BF3.

I'll be buying a new monitor. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck for gaming. Something with the lowest possible input lag. Looking at spending around $200 max for the monitor. Was thinking about the 23-24 inch range.

Probably won't be building this for another 4-8 weeks. I don't know if I'll be overclocking it, but I'd like the option to.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UT7c

- i5-3570k
- Cooler Master hyper 212
- Asrock Z77 extreme4
- Corsair Vengeance 8GB (low profile)
- Crucial M4 64GB SSD
- Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB hard drive
- EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
- Cooler Master HAF 912
- Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze
- DVD writer

My biggest concerns are setting up the SSD and if 64GB is large enough. I think the CPU cooler should fit with that tower and the low profile RAM.

I'm really new to all of this and would greatly appreciate some feedback.

Haswell will be out by that stage so you'll likely be getting Z87 and a 4670K. Prices will likely stay as they are now.

Grumbul

All the recent talk about capture cards has somewhat piqued my interest.

I'm considering doing some live streaming but would really like to continue playing games at the highest quality I possibly can at my own end.

The talk about the Avermedia (C985) having a minimal impact on the CPU seemed to be the perfect fit but now the discussion seems to be suggesting that alternatives offer significantly better streaming quality - I'm just not sure at what cost in relation to performance.

Anyone here able to shed some light on this topic?

NIN90

Ok so I got a friend who needs a new motherboard, a new CPU and some RAM. But here is the kicker: He only wants to play CS:GO at 128 frames, nothing else. He's kinda low on cash so he really only needs something that will get him a stable ~ 128 frames, nothing more. I already got him my old 560 Ti so he's covered on that front.

Any suggestions?

I just upgraded to a i5 3470 (not K).

I overclocked it from stock 3.2 to 3.6. Temps are ok but I'd like to play on the safe side before pushing it to is max that non K version can (4ghz).

I need a cheap cooling solution that works with the 4 holes just like the intel heatsink. I don't want any brackets to install or having to take out the motherboard again.

kennah

I doubt you'll find anything better than the stock cooler that doesn't have a bracket. What case do you have? Maybe there is a cutout behind for installing coolers. Get a hyper 212. They are cheap and amazing and think of reinstalling the motherboard as an opportunity to make your wires even neater!

I just upgraded to a i5 3470 (not K).

I overclocked it from stock 3.2 to 3.6. Temps are ok but I'd like to play on the safe side before pushing it to is max that non K version can (4ghz).

I need a cheap cooling solution that works with the 4 holes just like the intel heatsink. I don't want any brackets to install or having to take out the motherboard again.

I got this cooler when I built my new rig. It just uses the pins, and I installed it once the motherboard was in the case...wasn't too difficult!

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I've wasted so much money lately lol. This is it now. All I need to do is buy some 4 pin braided fan extensions in white so I can clear those black cables up the top. The new Corsair fans are great and so quiet.

i1AQ4sdWyNcKh.jpg
ibjQLRFm242ONn.jpg

ibueegVuU9SZUh.jpg
iK0AlsaxxFxRj.jpg

ibiepZEaViDmWG.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
Is complete frame accuracy really important for stream viewers, after any encoder's hiccups/Twitch hiccups/connection hiccups/Flash hiccups?

x264 is amazingly better (~2x) at same quality for non-realtime compared to the reference encoder, which is in turn better at quality than most h/w implementations. This is probably the kind of thing that differs per game, though, with the wildly different threading performance of engines and the difference in image detail.

It'd probably be a really fascinating thing to benchmark for various titles, if we could decide where 59fps rather than 60fps was good enough.
59 vs. 60? This is why I'm saying competitive games. I want to keep my frame times below 8.3ms always. If frame times are even lower, great. I'm not talking about a fraction of a percent in performance drop, I'm talking going from 7ms frame time to barely 14-15ms frame times when you encode with the CPU.

We played around with a LOT of configurations before settling on the Avermedia HD Gamer, and I think it offers a fantastic stream while negating any impact on gameplay. Watch some vids on Kudochop's stream. That's the setup we finalized.

WWW.twitch.TV/kudochop
I've wasted so much money lately lol. This is it now. All I need to do is buy some 4 pin braided fan extensions in white so I can clear those black cables up the top. The new Corsair fans are great and so quiet.
But what about that space up top begging for a radiator? Plenty of room to the right of the motherboard for a pump too.

:p

In all seriousness, looks great!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking for a Torx set. Needs to have a T6 and T10. Any cheap and decent recommendations?

dorkimoe

I have not overclocked at all. I have tried dxtory i believe, and all the others. Soon as I start any of them the game just has a huge dip in FPS. Unplayable. Well upgrading video card for an extra 150$ or so over the capture card would be a better investment, dont care about streaming that much haha.

I will take a look at 7950 thanks!

Celcius

°Temp. member

Looks great, what are the specs?

kaioshade

I am in the market for upgrading my 560ti. Should i get a gtx 680 now, or wait for Nvidia to unveil their 700 series of cards?

I am not sure how much of an improvement they are going to be from the current 600 series of cards.

kharma45

I am in the market for upgrading my 560ti. Should i get a gtx 680 now, or wait for Nvidia to unveil their 700 series of cards?

I am not sure how much of an improvement they are going to be from the current 600 series of cards.

Up to yourself, if it was me I'd wait off as it's not far and the 560 Ti is still a fine card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom