• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

Installed all the drivers and checked that its in the Sata6_1 port. (SATA 3)

Now in Samsung Magician under SATA Interface it's saying "You should connect your SSD to a SATA 6Gb/s port for improved performance."

I've done a speed test and read is 280MB/s & write is 260MB/s. This is weird lol.

Are you sure it's on a Sata3 port? Sounds like its connected a Sata2 port. What MB? Can you post a picture of your MB Sata ports?

My newly built computer has been a bit unstable while installing and downloading games with Steam. It froze while downloading Borderlands 2 on Friday, and it just froze on me again a minute ago while installing Dragon Age Origins.

ASUS P8Z77-V LK
Core i5 3570K
8 GB Memory- 2x A-Data 4096 MB PC3 10700
GTX 660
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 600W PSU

Could my memory be the culprit? It is not listed in the qualified vendors list in my manual.

Is your memory correctly set in the Bios? Try running Memtest. Running SSD or HDD? What brand?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My newly built computer has been a bit unstable while installing and downloading games with Steam. It froze while downloading Borderlands 2 on Friday, and it just froze on me again a minute ago while installing Dragon Age Origins.

ASUS P8Z77-V LK
Core i5 3570K
8 GB Memory- 2x A-Data 4096 MB PC3 10700
GTX 660
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 600W PSU

Could my memory be the culprit? It is not listed in the qualified vendors list in my manual.
Memory should almost always be compatible. Run a memtest 86+ for 15 minutes to be reasonablly sure (burn to CD and boot), of overnight to be very sure.

Download an HDD diagnostic (from your brand) as well to check that.

Rubius

So I would like a new PC for in a month or two, should I wait 1 or two months before buying my parts and wait for the 770 to come out?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Are you sure it's on a Sata3 port? Sounds like its connected a Sata2 port. What MB? Can you post a picture of your MB Sata ports?

Def on Sata3. I rebooted and now its registering at Sata3 speed. My motherboard is the Rampage Extreme IV. I'll give it a few days to see how it goes and if any more problems happen I'll move it back to the Asmedia port.

Edit: Done another speed test and it's still running at 250MB/s.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Def on Sata3. I rebooted and now its registering at Sata3 speed. My motherboard is the Rampage Extreme IV. I'll give it a few days to see how it goes and if any more problems happen I'll move it back to the Asmedia port.

Edit: Done another speed test and it's still running at 250MB/s.

Keep in mind by Sata 3 he means SATA 3 @ 6.0 Gb/s. Not to be confused with SATA 2 @ 3.0 Gb/s.

Also if your running random reads/writes, those speeds sound accurate for an SSD. Sequential should be higher.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Keep in mind by Sata 3 he means SATA 3 @ 6.0 Gb/s. Not to be confused with SATA 2 @ 3.0 Gb/s.

Also if your running random reads/writes, those speeds sound accurate for an SSD. Sequential should be higher.

Yea it's plugged in the SATA 3 @ 6Gb/s. When it was working earlier I was getting speeds of 540MB/s so I'm losing a good 200-250MB/s due to some problem.

zeelman

Memory should almost always be compatible. Run a memtest 86+ for 15 minutes to be reasonablly sure (burn to CD and boot), of overnight to be very sure.

Download an HDD diagnostic (from your brand) as well to check that.

I ran Memtest 86+ for 45 minutes, and no errors were found. The HDD diagnostic tool (for my Western Digital Caviar Black HDD) came back with no issues, either.

I'm going to Google my Steam issue and see what I can find.

Hawk269

A friend of mine is now wanting to get a high res monitor since he checked out mine, but he wants a 30" instead of 27". What is the best 30" available? I also looked at almost all 30" are 16:10 format...are there any game in-compatibilities at 16:10 vs. 16:9?

Thanks!

HoosTrax

So after a few weeks with the new monitor, I just find it even more odd when people claim they can't even tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, when I can plainly see a difference between 60fps and higher framerates. Been playing the Borderlands 2 DLC, and I can immediately tell when I get to an area where my frames start dropping back down to 60-ish even without looking at MSI Afterburner OSD.

The best analogy I can think of is the difference between a regular show on TV and a documentary filmed with a high-speed camera. There's just something more life-like about motion/movement and animations.

Hawk269

So after a few weeks with the new monitor, I just find it even more odd when people claim they can't even tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, when I can plainly see a difference between 60fps and higher framerates. Been playing the Borderlands 2 DLC, and I can immediately tell when I get to an area where my frames start dropping back down to 60-ish even without looking at MSI Afterburner OSD.

The best analogy I can think of is the difference between a regular show on TV and a documentary filmed with a high-speed camera. There's just something more life-like about motion/movement and animations.

Yeah...as I game more and more on my PC it is really easy for me to tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. I can even notice when it drops to 45 or so without looking at the OSD I have running. I have not tried a 120 screen, so can't speak to that, but I know many love it. I went the resolution route instead of speed. :)

HoosTrax

Yeah...as I game more and more on my PC it is really easy for me to tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. I can even notice when it drops to 45 or so without looking at the OSD I have running. I have not tried a 120 screen, so can't speak to that, but I know many love it. I went the resolution route instead of speed. :)
I wish there was a movement to make higher resolutions readily available on 22-24" monitors, as anything larger is kind of pushing what I can comfortably have on my desk and sit in front of.

A few years ago, that looked like what the trend was going to be (1440p becoming standard for 24" monitors). Somewhere along the line, that projection sort of fell by the wayside I guess, for reasons I can only speculate at.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
A few years ago, that looked like what the trend was going to be (1440p becoming standard for 24" monitors). Somewhere along the line, that projection sort of fell by the wayside I guess, for reasons I can only speculate at.
To make and sell tens of millions of 1080p 4.3" panels for phones.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I ran Memtest 86+ for 45 minutes, and no errors were found. The HDD diagnostic tool (for my Western Digital Caviar Black HDD) came back with no issues, either.

I'm going to Google my Steam issue and see what I can find.

Run it before bed. I have seen bad RAM pass memtest for a few hours at a time. It's rare, but very possible.

Jzero

I recently built a computer for a friend and he's taking credit for building it. It was funny when someone asked him for the specs and he couldn't answer.
KuGsj.gif

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Quoting myself

Soz for the bad link: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/VcCo
Can you get an XFX, Seasonic, or HX PSU near the same price?
H100 is overkill, a $30-$50 air cooler will do the job perfectly well.
I think the C70 case is alright.

eVGA 670 is overpriced here, dunno about where you are. I'd get a different dual/tri fan model over eVGA personally, but it depends who offers good warranty support where you are. And the 7950/7970 offer much better value for single card performance.
I recently built a computer for a friend and he's taking credit for building it. It was funny when someone asked him for the specs and he couldn't answer.
KuGsj.gif
:/

eVGA 670 is overpriced here, dunno about where you are. I'd get a different dual/tri fan model over eVGA personally, but it depends who offers good warranty support where you are. And the 7950/7970 offer much better value for single card performance.

Right, I changed the h100 to an h60

United Kingdom

I'm planning on SLI'ing the 670's and I'm kinda wanting the nvdia's features (physX and whatnot). I wouldn't mind changing it in the last minute. I'm gonna be recording gameplay videos and is the build good enough? Is it optimised?

Updated 2 parts: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Vmw6

Unfortunately you won't be able that case from us at that price since we're listed as sold out, which means none of our suppliers have any. So add on another £8 since eBuyer is the next cheapest.

I wouldn't mind getting it from another seller. Does your company restock quickly? :(

LordAlu

Updated 2 parts: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Vmw6

I wouldn't mind getting it from another seller. Does your company restock quickly? :(
The website will always show any stock it can get from any supplier - if it says Sold Out it means that none of the suppliers we source from have any stock at all, nor do they have an expected restock date (it would show "More expected on..." if there was a date). The only way I could find out if we can source any more from somewhere else would be to talk to one of the purchasing guys but I'm not in work today (and it's a Bank Holiday) so I can't do that either :(

I would say that PCPartPicker is a great tool but don't rely on it's price list too much as sometimes it will look at loads of retailers and sometimes it barely looks at any! For example that H60 only shows Amazon when you can get it from Scan, Overclockers and ourselves for cheaper. It also doesn't take into account stock as I mentioned regarding your case.

Looks like a nice build! Are you sure you need it soon though with Haswell and possibly even some new Nvidia cards around soon?

The website will always show any stock it can get from any supplier - if it says Sold Out it means that none of the suppliers we source from have any stock at all, nor do they have an expected restock date (it would show "More expected on..." if there was a date). The only way I could find out if we can source any more from somewhere else would be to talk to one of the purchasing guys but I'm not in work today (and it's a Bank Holiday) so I can't do that either :(

I would say that PCPartPicker is a great tool but don't rely on it's price list too much as sometimes it will look at loads of retailers and sometimes it barely looks at any! For example that H60 only shows Amazon when you can get it from Scan, Overclockers and ourselves for cheaper. It also doesn't take into account stock as I mentioned regarding your case.

I'm just putting out a build for now. But I will be quite thorough with the pricing. Thanks for the reminder

Looks like a nice build! Are you sure you need it soon though with Haswell and possibly even some new Nvidia cards around soon?

I've only got like a £1000 budget and if the new stuff is coming out, I'm not sure how the Haswell and the new Nvdia cards will be priced. Maybe I could wait out for a while

LordAlu

I've only got like a £1000 budget and if the new stuff is coming out, I'm not sure how the Haswell and the new Nvdia cards will be priced. Maybe I could wait out for a while
Price wise the Haswell stuff should be looking very similar to the current Ivy Bridge chips, so if you're not desperate for a PC I'd certainly wait till next month and see what's what - Ivy Bridge won't be going anywhere for a while anyway. Haven't had anything from Nvidia yet though so I've got no idea what they'll be doing (if they do anything).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah, the way PCPartPicker has been handling stock has been rather annoying, but it formats parts and links correctly which makes everything tons easier, even if everyone ends up buying everything off one website.
I'm just putting out a build for now. But I will be quite thorough with the pricing. Thanks for the reminder

PSU: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...+Power+Supply+[P1-750X-XXB9]+?productId=53995

Haswell pricing will be almost exactly the same. nVidai will have a new 7xx series based on their existing tech. More info by Haswell (probably) which is June 9th.
OC potential on Haswell can affect your CPU cooler choice as well as your GPU purchase so it's good to wait if you aren't in a hurry.

MedIC86

Anyone has knowledge about 120hz? i was thinking that to have the full advantages of 120hz you need to churn out 120 fps (which, unless you are running 2 titans, seems undoable with new games and eye candy on)?

Im debating about getting 120hz or 2560x1440 (27")

musicjunkie

Neo Member
I plan on snagging the Fractal Design R4 in a few weeks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352020.

Only comes with 2 fans so was going to snag a few more.
Should I be going with the ones that comes with the case? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352007

or worth spending the extra buck a fan for Corsair AF140? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181028

Could care less about if they match. Just looking for something that pushes some air and isn't loud as hell. I'm not an OCer so don't need anything insane.

kharma45

:/

EVGA stuff is usually the cheaper end of things over here. Warranty wise this is what you'd be looking at for the different brands in the UK

2graphicscardwarrantyso.png

red731

Arma 3 low fps wall of text

Hi. I was having low fps too, so I've tried unparking CPUs and what not. Even now I have million parameters in lauch options added.

Check out this video and change two lines in one config file - did wonders for me.

I plan on snagging the Fractal Design R4 in a few weeks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352020.

Only comes with 2 fans so was going to snag a few more.
Should I be going with the ones that comes with the case? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352007

or worth spending the extra buck a fan for Corsair AF140? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181028

Could care less about if they match. Just looking for something that pushes some air and isn't loud as hell. I'm not an OCer so don't need anything insane.

I have your future case and I have added these fans into it - 2x NOCTUA NF-P14-FLX. I am happy with them, but haven't tried anything else. /case fan setup - 1x orig case fan and 1x noctua in front - 1x noctua on top back - 1x orig in the back/
I have ASROCK Z77 Extreme6 and the fan on top furthest in the back (over cpu cooler) is in close victinity of motherboard power cable - I was afraid that when I'll hear noises of fan bruising that cable that everything would burn, but pushed the powercable "under the fan" and it is okay.

Mad Max

Damn I did it again: ordered an EK full cover block for my 7950, some scythe GT's for on my rad and a bunch of alphacool 45degree angle pieces, and some other fittings since I decided I don't want any nickel in my loop. Damage=€170. Hopefully I can sell the other fittings online. :p

@The RMA chart
The part about asus is 100% correct: they take forever and sometimes they don't even repair anything. In my experience club3d has the best RMA process of all GPU brands, I bought a hd2900 when it came out, and when it died 12months later they sent me a brand new 3870OC within 2 weeks.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I think I've fixed the SSD speeds. So I noticed after having it plugged into the Intel socket it would run at 500Mb/s but then drop and nearly freeze the PC.

I changed the cable just in case it was a faulty one and it seem to stop the disk read errors upon boot but I still had the issue of speeds being at SATA II.

I looked in Intel Rapid Storage and noticed upon boot transfer rates were showing at 6Gb/s but after doing speed tests this would change to 3Gb/s. (No reboots)

So I'm thinking this must be some sort of power problem so under the performance tab it had Link Power Management enabled. After looking around it seems this can reduce performance so I disabled and rebooted. Now it's having no problems at boot and speeds are sticking to 6Gb/s.

I may have to buy some new SATA cables though since the ones I got delivered last week seem cheap as shit with loose heads.

Edit The problem came back. I decided to pull out the SSD to make sure it was all plugged in correctly when I realized what the culprit was. Hotswap Bay. I disconnected then directly plugged them how they should be and the speeds are working fine. After reading up it seems Hotswap bays can bottleneck SSDs and they should never be used for bootup disks. So solution seems done now. :p

Banned
I don't know where to post this. I'm just playing Crysis 3 now and I don't think it's using up all my GPU has to offer.

Right now on max settings, 1080p with 2xSTAA on one monitor, I get 27-35 FPS. Mostly I hover at 30. Crysis 1 and 2 I ran same settings and got 37-45 FPS.

My specs:

Core i7-920 quad core over clocked to 3.2Ghz
18GB DDR3 Triple Channel RAM
GTX 570 HD edition (2.5GB VRAM)
Asus Rampage II Extreme Motherboard.

I'm using MSI afterburner and its saying Crysis 3 on max is only using about 1.5GB of VRAM. Why isn't the game making full use of my 2.5GB and would it increase frame rate at all if it did?

Vsync is off btw, but I'm using triple buffering and max performance setting in Nvidia control panel.

Not sure how 'new' this news is. TechReport rumors on 700 series cards

Expecting a new generation of GPUs from Nvidia soon? Well, don't hold your breath. Fuad Abazovic over at Fudzilla says he's gleaned some details about high-end GeForce GTX 700-series parts due in June, and he says the new cards will be re-branded versions of existing products.

Quoting unnamed sources, Abazovic outlines specs for three offerings: the GeForce GTX 760 Ti, GeForce GTX 770, and GeForce GTX 780. He says the first of the bunch "in reality represents a rebranded GTX 670." Users can reportedly expect a GK104 GPU with a 256-bit memory interface and a board design similar to that of existing GTX 670 cards. Similarly, the GTX 770 is said to be "more or less a GTX 680 renamed for 2013," albeit with a different cooler and slightly better performance.

The GTX 780 sounds a tad more interesting, at least. Abazovic says that model will be powered by a "Titan LE" chip with a 256-bit memory interface. In other words, we may be looking at a pared-down version of the GK110-based GeForce GTX Titan. The GTX 780 could therefore have a sizable performance advantage over the existing GTX 680, despite the recycled GPU. We'll have to see how Nvidia prices the newcomer, though. The only GK110-based GeForce out today, the GTX Titan, costs about a thousand bucks right now.

If these rumors are correct and the GTX 700-series is made up of re-branded parts, then Nvidia will be in good company. A few months ago, we learned that AMD's desktop Radeon HD 8000 series, which is being sold only to PC makers, mainly comprises re-branded 7000-series graphics cards. AMD doesn't plan to have truly next-generation GPUs out until late this year.

HoosTrax

Not sure how 'new' this news is. TechReport rumors on 700 series cards

sad
Well you left off the last bit about the GTX780 (or Titan LE), which is the only one I'm personally considering anyway.

The GTX 780 sounds a tad more interesting, at least. Abazovic says that model will be powered by a "Titan LE" chip with a 256-bit memory interface. In other words, we may be looking at a pared-down version of the GK110-based GeForce GTX Titan. The GTX 780 could therefore have a sizable performance advantage over the existing GTX 680, despite the recycled GPU. We'll have to see how Nvidia prices the newcomer, though. The only GK110-based GeForce out today, the GTX Titan, costs about a thousand bucks right now.

Demon Ice

Banned
I don't know where to post this. I'm just playing Crysis 3 now and I don't think it's using up all my GPU has to offer.

Right now on max settings, 1080p with 2xSTAA on one monitor, I get 27-35 FPS. Mostly I hover at 30. Crysis 1 and 2 I ran same settings and got 37-45 FPS.

My specs:

I'm using MSI afterburner and its saying Crysis 3 on max is only using about 1.5GB of VRAM. Why isn't the game making full use of my 2.5GB and would it increase frame rate at all if it did?

Vsync is off btw, but I'm using triple buffering and max performance setting in Nvidia control panel.

Does it tell you what % of your GPUs's core is being utilized? Crysis 3 at 1080p isn't particularly VRAM hungry, it could still be maxing out your GPU's core without using all the VRAM, in that case the extra VRAM wouldn't help your performance.

ShOcKwAvE

My specs:

Using 64-bit OS right? Check that "Memory Remap Feature" or whatever it's called is enabled in your BIOS. Not sure if it will improve performance though.

I assume you're running the latest nVidia drivers?

Banned
Does it tell you what % of your GPUs's core is being utilized? Crysis 3 at 1080p isn't particularly VRAM hungry, it could still be maxing out your GPU's core without using all the VRAM, in that case the extra VRAM wouldn't help your performance.
Around 96%.
Using 64-bit OS right? Check that "Memory Remap Feature" or whatever it's called is enabled in your BIOS. Not sure if it will improve performance though.

I assume you're running the latest nVidia drivers?
I got 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate. The log shows its running the 32 bit version of the game though. I'm not familiar with that feature. And yes, latest Nvidia beta driver 320.xxx

zeelman

I'm pretty sure my Steam freezing issues had to do with MSI Afterburner. I started a download with it off today and it did not freeze. Steam's support has it in their list of programs that may have issues with Steam, so I guess I'll only turn it on when I want to record games.

Also, should I use the ASUS Update utility to update my motherboard? The other way involves creating a boot file on a usb drive.

ShOcKwAvE

I got 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate. The log shows its running the 32 bit version of the game though. I'm not familiar with that feature. And yes, latest Nvidia beta driver 320.xxx

There's no 64-bit version of the game as far as I know. I was more concerned about you having the 32-bit OS because it can't use more than ~3GB of RAM.

The feature I mentioned has to do with how RAM (both system and video) is allocated. I thought perhaps it may relate to why you're not seeing all the video RAM used.

Hi guys, my old headset broke and I'm looking for a new mic.

Will the logitech USB ones work for skyping and venting, or is there a better option? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom