• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
But what about that space up top begging for a radiator? Plenty of room to the right of the motherboard for a pump too.

:p

In all seriousness, looks great!

Cheers man. For now I'll stick with this but I'll probably pull out the 120 rad and replace it with a 360 and place on top later in the year.

Looks great, what are the specs?

Thanks man.

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • CPU: i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz
  • Ram: Patriot Viper 16Gb 1866Mhz
  • GPU: Asus GTX 680 Directcu II Top 2GB
  • SSD: Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB
  • HDD: Hitachi 1TB Deskstar HDD
  • HDD: 2x Hitachi 1TB Deskstar HDD in RAID 0 @ 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60
  • Fans: 5 x Corsair AF140's, 4 x Corsair SP120's

Demon Ice

Banned
Was browsing over at HardOCP and I saw this beauty, had to share it...WOW. One day I will own a system like that.

sideviewopen.jpg

tritoncloseup.jpg

I am in the market for upgrading my 560ti. Should i get a gtx 680 now, or wait for Nvidia to unveil their 700 series of cards?

I am not sure how much of an improvement they are going to be from the current 600 series of cards.

I have a 560ti also and I'm holding out for 700 series or AMD equivalent. We're not -that- far away, and the 560ti is still doing just fine with the few games I do play at 1080p. Just my two cents.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
guys what do you think xfx radeon 7850(cross fire) or a single xfx radeon 7950 or 7970? wich is better?
Crossfire is broken. Go single card until they fix it.
SLi does not seem to have these issues nearly to the same degree.
I've wasted so much money lately lol. This is it now. All I need to do is buy some 4 pin braided fan extensions in white so I can clear those black cables up the top. The new Corsair fans are great and so quiet.
Looks super great.

Just bundle the fan power cables and organize your 24 pin power.
Was browsing over at HardOCP and I saw this beauty, had to share it...WOW. One day I will own a system like that.
Horrid

demented

Here are two pics of PC inside and behind it
http://imgur.com/xpJ5YGv
http://imgur.com/rXUztUM
It looks dirtier than it is in the pictures due to flash, on bottom I think it's just smudges from fingers but who cares.
I haven't gotten around to tying up cables because there aren't that many and dont' really bother me.

Both my CPU and graphics card seems to be running little hotter than I expected and it's annoying me, CPU isn't really overclocked beside BIOS profile that boosts it by ~400mhz but with that heatsink I thought it would be like 20c lower.
My cpu runs in mid 40s up to 50s when I'm just browing and doing pretty much nothing, my graphics card on auto settings gets to 50s and over... I should note that my room is very hot, no aircoinditioning and with over 30c outside, yeah.. Gonna buy something this week, this is probably main culprit but it was like this few weeks ago when temperatures were in lower 20s during day and even lower at night.

So I have that fan on heatsink blowing air and rear one blowing it out, I turned my psu fan down because there's opening for air down there and so it doesn't compete with graphics card for air. There are two fans on top but I have them turned off because they are making annoying noises, also removed one that was right of PSU because I don't know what it would do and with cables in the way what's the point. I keep the case bit sideways, not straight toward the wall so it can get as much room, can't really do it any other way without losing too much space in the room.

Any advice for improvements, temperatures or anything in general?

Spec related to question:
i5-3570K, 3.40GHz
COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 case
Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 heatsink
MSI 7970 vga
And just 1 monitor

looking to upgrade my sound.. and browsed the Creative Sound Blaster Z SBX - then noticed it was in the OP so passes the initial test.

I was planning on the Senn PC 360s but I noticed that the card has a mic that comes with it.. ? Never seen that before, then again i havent bought a sound card for about 7 years :p

Should I consider getting headphones as opposed to a headset and use the bundled mic? Anyone have it and can comment on the quality?

Edit: Now im seeing the Senn 363D that come with a usb sound card for about $100 more - which is the same as the 360s and the SB Z.

Any input? I thought I had it set and have now confused myself.

Van Owen

Banned
Just noticed the fans on my 6970 aren't spinning. No wonder I kept getting hiccups in Tomb Raider.

Now I need to decide if I should just buy a new GPU or try and get this one replaced from MSI...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Here are two pics of PC inside and behind it
http://imgur.com/xpJ5YGv
http://imgur.com/rXUztUM
It looks dirtier than it is in the pictures due to flash, on bottom I think it's just smudges from fingers but who cares.
I haven't gotten around to tying up cables because there aren't that many and dont' really bother me.

Both my CPU and graphics card seems to be running little hotter than I expected and it's annoying me, CPU isn't really overclocked beside BIOS profile that boosts it by ~400mhz but with that heatsink I thought it would be like 20c lower.
My cpu runs in mid 40s up to 50s when I'm just browing and doing pretty much nothing, my graphics card on auto settings gets to 50s and over... I should note that my room is very hot, no aircoinditioning and with over 30c outside, yeah.. Gonna buy something this week, this is probably main culprit but it was like this few weeks ago when temperatures were in lower 20s during day and even lower at night.

So I have that fan on heatsink blowing air and rear one blowing it out, I turned my psu fan down because there's opening for air down there and so it doesn't compete with graphics card for air. There are two fans on top but I have them turned off because they are making annoying noises, also removed one that was right of PSU because I don't know what it would do and with cables in the way what's the point. I keep the case bit sideways, not straight toward the wall so it can get as much room, can't really do it any other way without losing too much space in the room.

Any advice for improvements, temperatures or anything in general?

Spec related to question:
i5-3570K, 3.40GHz
COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 case
Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 heatsink
MSI 7970 vga
And just 1 monitor
Remount your CPU heatsink if you are getting 40-50C idle. <65C load from utilities in the OP is good. Check your CPU voltage. Auto voltage VASTLY overshoots and it's probably driving your temps way up. See OC guides in the OP (First paragraph, links)
GPU idling at 60C is fine. Just keep load temps under 90C (I prefer under 80C).

Dust off your heatinks on CPU and GPU. Add a side, front, or bottom intake in that order if needed.
looking to upgrade my sound.. and browsed the Creative Sound Blaster Z SBX - then noticed it was in the OP so passes the initial test.

I was planning on the Senn PC 360s but I noticed that the card has a mic that comes with it.. ? Never seen that before, then again i havent bought a sound card for about 7 years :p

Should I consider getting headphones as opposed to a headset and use the bundled mic? Anyone have it and can comment on the quality?

Edit: Now im seeing the Senn 363D that come with a usb sound card for about $100 more - which is the same as the 360s and the SB Z.

Any input? I thought I had it set and have now confused myself.
I can't really comment on the Z apart from the fact it seems good from a few people.
Mic is probably crap.
Just noticed the fans on my 6970 aren't spinning. No wonder I kept getting hiccups in Tomb Raider.

Now I need to decide if I should just buy a new GPU or try and get this one replaced from MSI...
Dust it and unplug/replug the fan connector if you can without voiding the warranty.
Hopefully you can do an Advanced RMA.

I know this is mainly a build-your-own system, but I'm looking at a relatively think laptop from Samsung called the Series 7 Chronos. What do you guys think of the AMD 8870m? This particular model has that GPU with 2gigs of memory, a 256 gig SSD, and a 1920 15.6 inch touchscreen. From the few reviews I've read, it apparently can run all the latest games at high settings. Anything I need to worry about with that particular GPU?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I know this is mainly a build-your-own system, but I'm looking at a relatively think laptop from Samsung called the Series 7 Chronos. What do you guys think of the AMD 8870m? This particular model has that GPU with 2gigs of memory, a 256 gig SSD, and a 1920 15.6 inch touchscreen. From the few reviews I've read, it apparently can run all the latest games at high settings. Anything I need to worry about with that particular GPU?
More so problems with the laptop.

Main things:
Battery life
Switching between Integrated / GPU for games
Build Quality
Internal Wireless
Is the 15" model available in the US?

Wait for release, see what's up, then ask. What are you really wanting from your purchase?

More so problems with the laptop.

Main things:
Battery life
Switching between Integrated / GPU for games
Build Quality
Internal Wireless
Is the 15" model available in the US?

Wait for release, see what's up, then ask. What are you really wanting from your purchase?

The version I want I'd need to get from a relative in Europe. It appears that Samsung downgrades the US version's GPU and doesnt offer it with SSD. Battery life is said to be great. I have heard about driver issues with the GPU/Integrated switching. And it's a Samsung, so it's going to have wireless issues until I upgrade the driver. What I'm looking to get out of this is a means to play newer games cheaper than on console, and also have a portable Win 8 machine. I've been a Mac-only user since Vista came out, but Win 8 has won me over. So rather than go Macbook Pro Retina, I'm looking at the Samsung.

I'd go with the MacBook Pro just for the display.

The display is nice, but for games it's pretty shit. And the 1920 screen on the Samsung is beautiful. And it's also a touch screen, which going forward is what I want on any laptop I buy. Completely changes how I use a laptop (in a good way). Definitely going to wait and see what other changes Apple announces with the Haswell upgrade in June. Hopefully a better GPU with more memory.

mkenyon

Banned
I'd look into that touchscreen monitor's performance before buying if you want to play games on it. Most touchscreens have horrid input lag and refresh rates.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The version I want I'd need to get from a relative in Europe. It appears that Samsung downgrades the US version's GPU and doesnt offer it with SSD. Battery life is said to be great. I have heard about driver issues with the GPU/Integrated switching. And it's a Samsung, so it's going to have wireless issues until I upgrade the driver. What I'm looking to get out of this is a means to play newer games cheaper than on console, and also have a portable Win 8 machine. I've been a Mac-only user since Vista came out, but Win 8 has won me over. So rather than go Macbook Pro Retina, I'm looking at the Samsung.
Sounds like you know what you want then.

I'd look into that touchscreen monitor's performance before buying if you want to play games on it. Most touchscreens have horrid input lag and refresh rates.
Screen is well received. I don't want to play touchscreen games on it. It's just nice to have for navigating the OS. I mainly just want a Win 8 laptop that I can connect a 360 controller to and play the latest games. From the feedback I've seen, this appears to be a good option. The question mark right now is driver issues with the 8870m.

JayDub

Are we allowed to post what we're selling?

Im looking to sell my rig, taking offers.
L

Fractal R4
Asrock Extreme4
3570k OC'd 4.4ghz
Corsair H100i
8GB Corsair Ram, 1600mhz
2x GTX 670 (SLI), EVGA Superclocked
Corsair AX 750 watts
Asus DVD RW

No HDD

I'll post pics soon.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What's the latest on 2013 GPU releases?

IIRC Haswell is due out relatively soon, will there be a big lag between CPU and GPU releases this year?
Signs point to decent lag, although a cutdown Titan / 780 / 770 may be nearish Haswell's release.
AMD has been mum, probably Q3/Q4. Nothing on midrange updates last I heard (been a while though).
Are we allowed to post what we're selling?

Im looking to sell my rig, taking offers.
I'll post pics soon.
Hasn't been a problem before. Could cross post to the B/S/T thread as well

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Ran into a problem. So I noticed my SSD was running 40% slower than it should be. After checking out the cables and mobo I noticed I had it plugged into sata6g_e1 which don't perform as well compared to sata6g_1.

Pulled it out and placed in sata6g_1 but now Windows wont start all the time and when it did disk speeds were running at 35Mb/s which then led to Windows crashing.

Now when I try to boot Windows its freezing on Starting Windows screen.

Edit: I replugged back into sata6g_e1 and the PC started up fine.

MedIC86

So im looking to get a new screen, thing is i have a dell 23" now, pretty happy with it.
But recently i wanted to go bigger, now i narrowed it down to 2 options.

The dell 29" (2913wm)
Or the dell 27" (2713hm)

Im leaning more towards the 27 because the 29" resolution is not really supported by all games. But now im wondering if an upgrade from 23 to 27" is worth the 500 euros (okay its a huge resolution change, but that comes at a cost performance wise).

Also, 120hz would be nice but i cant use TN panels anymore im so used to IPS now.

Im hoping anyone has some advice.

Van Owen

Banned
Dust it and unplug/replug the fan connector if you can without voiding the warranty.
Hopefully you can do an Advanced RMA.

Tried that. The fans spun half an inch and stopped, and now the card doesn't output a signal at all.

Broke down and ordered a Saphire 7950.

*sigh*

knitoe

Ran into a problem. So I noticed my SSD was running 40% slower than it should be. After checking out the cables and mobo I noticed I had it plugged into sata6g_e1 which don't perform as well compared to sata6g_1.

Pulled it out and placed in sata6g_1 but now Windows wont start all the time and when it did disk speeds were running at 35Mb/s which then led to Windows crashing.

Now when I try to boot Windows its freezing on Starting Windows screen.

Edit: I replugged back into sata6g_e1 and the PC started up fine.
After switching the sata port, did you go into the Bios and set the SSD as the bootup (priority #1) device?

So im looking to get a new screen, thing is i have a dell 23" now, pretty happy with it.
But recently i wanted to go bigger, now i narrowed it down to 2 options.

The dell 29" (2913wm)
Or the dell 27" (2713hm)

Im leaning more towards the 27 because the 29" resolution is not really supported by all games. But now im wondering if an upgrade from 23 to 27" is worth the 500 euros (okay its a huge resolution change, but that comes at a cost performance wise).

Also, 120hz would be nice but i cant use TN panels anymore im so used to IPS now.

Im hoping anyone has some advice.
Get the 2713HM. I have the monitor and like it. It's 16:9 ratio so every game will work correctly.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Woohoo!

My buddy is getting Google Fiber installed in the next couple weeks. Looks like I'll be going over there with a brand new 4TB HDD and will be installing all 345 of my Steam games. I've never once had even 1/10th of my games installed, as I've run them off a 300GB 10K RPM drive. But now that you can select the install location, I'll have them all on the 4TB drive except my most played games, which I'll throw on the SSD - TF2, L4D2, Witcher 2, and for now ARMAIII.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
After switching the sata port, did you go into the Bios and set the SSD as the bootup (priority #1) device?

Yea, I also downloaded the Samsung Magician to fix anything which may be corrupted. I'm gonna go ask on the ROG forums see if its a common thing with the R4E.

kennah

Woohoo!

My buddy is getting Google Fiber installed in the next couple weeks. Looks like I'll be going over there with a brand new 4TB HDD and will be installing all 345 of my Steam games. I've never once had even 1/10th of my games installed, as I've run them off a 300GB 10K RPM drive. But now that you can select the install location, I'll have them all on the 4TB drive except my most played games, which I'll throw on the SSD - TF2, L4D2, Witcher 2, and for now ARMAIII.
Hah. Awesome. You have to let us know the final folder size

Hawk269

Woohoo!

Steam mover is your friend! You could have used it to move games. I still use it even though I have SSD's and HDD's. I typically will put older games or games that don't benefit much from SSD speed on the HDD.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Absurdly high VCore (wouldn't this destroy the CPU?), but if that's doable with an engineering sample and an awesome cooling setup, then a highish end closed loop cooler at 5.5 GHz may be widely possible. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

If it is possible, I'll be building tons of PCs at work that do this.

If it is possible, why doesn't Intel productize it as an i9 processor and sell it for 2x? There has to be extremely high demand for significant increases in compute speed (per core) in busineses.

Hawk269

Yea, I also downloaded the Samsung Magician to fix anything which may be corrupted. I'm gonna go ask on the ROG forums see if its a common thing with the R4E.

I have the Samsung 840 Pro 512g and I get top speed out of them. My 3rd SSD did not however, but that was due to it being connected to one of the ASMEDIA Sata 6 ports. I have a Rampage IV Extreme in my rig and 2 of the ports are Intel and 2 are ASMEDIA. Just ensure you are connecting to the Intel ports to maximize speed. Ensure you have the latest Intel Sata Drivers and that the MOBO Bios is up to date.

On my 3rd SSD just to ensure it was not something else I plugged it into one of the Intel Sata ports and it ran just as fast as the other SSD's. So ensure they are in the Intel ports.

Hawk269

Need recommendations for a headset to communicate with others while gaming. I am NOT looking for a headset that outputs the games audio or anything like that. I just need a simple device that allows me to communicate to my fellow gamers and am looking for something wireless.

Thanks for any tips/ideas.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I have the Samsung 840 Pro 512g and I get top speed out of them. My 3rd SSD did not however, but that was due to it being connected to one of the ASMEDIA Sata 6 ports. I have a Rampage IV Extreme in my rig and 2 of the ports are Intel and 2 are ASMEDIA. Just ensure you are connecting to the Intel ports to maximize speed. Ensure you have the latest Intel Sata Drivers and that the MOBO Bios is up to date.

On my 3rd SSD just to ensure it was not something else I plugged it into one of the Intel Sata ports and it ran just as fast as the other SSD's. So ensure they are in the Intel ports.

I've deleted the ASMedia driver which someone suggested on the ROG forums and this seems to have done the trick. But now and then upon boot its saying Disk Read Error then if I hit the reset button it boots.

Can you remember what Intel Sata drivers you installed? I've downloaded this one but I don't know if this is the correct one. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility&ProdId=816&LineId=1090&FamilyId=42

Hawk269

I've deleted the ASMedia driver which someone suggested on the ROG forums and this seems to have done the trick. But now and then upon boot its saying Disk Read Error then if I hit the reset button it boots.

Can you remember what Intel Sata drivers you installed? I've downloaded this one but I don't know if this is the correct one. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility&ProdId=816&LineId=1090&FamilyId=42

I downloaded the latest one off of ASUS site as I do with all drivers related to my motherboard. In your manual for your board, did you verify that you are plugged into the first Intel Sata 6 port?

knitoe

Intel Sata drivers are call Rapid Storage Technology (RST). You should also download those other drivers. Use Intel website driver scan.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/De...Rapid+storage+Technology+(Intel+RST)&lang=eng
I downloaded the latest one off of ASUS site as I do with all drivers related to my motherboard. In your manual for your board, did you verify that you are plugged into the first Intel Sata 6 port?
The ones from Intel are better. Just like how you get the latest video drivers directly from Nvidia / AMD.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I've now put about 7hrs into it - and I still have absolutely no clue what I'm doing. I'm just now finally getting all the keyboard shortcuts mapped out in my head, and I struggle the second I get in a helicopter. I don't understand the objectives, the map, or heck... even the point, yet. I find myself wandering aimlessly most the time, often getting sniped or killed from the abyss...

But man, ARMAIII is a freaking blast, and I'm enjoying every second of it. I played a couple hours today with a less-pretentious team than most. A guy told me to mark myself on the map - and showed me how. A few minutes later he arrived in a helicopter to pick me up and he carried me back to a make-shift base where another four or five guys were hanging out. Slowly they were building up resources - extra aircraft, a vehicle or two, weapons, etc. Hours of this - not even once did I see an enemy. He carried me and another guy to a weapons house to gather some supplies; but the the chopper started taking fire. Me and the other fellow were already out of the vehicle, so we hunkered down in the house. Slowly peeking out of the window and surveying the stairs. About twenty minutes of this until I saw two people slowly creeping their way toward us from the distance. BOOM BOOM - I got my first two "real" kills.

Anyway, lots of fun and a really great change of pace.

But man, is it poorly optimized. Sometimes I'm getting just 20fps; yet I'll only be using 50-70% of my GPU. Other times it just clocks my GPU at like 700Mhz. Maybe I need a better CPU? I don't know - but hot dog if this doesn't motivate me to get going on a new build.

A few screenies I took and a quick video:

8712393404_71e41c6710_b.jpg

8712387780_281bfe94b6_b.jpg

8711257057_14f90e3787_b.jpg

http://youtu.be/B3P4AQRMY_o

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Intel Sata drivers are call Rapid Storage Technology (RST). You should also download those other drivers. Use Intel website driver scan.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/De...Rapid+storage+Technology+(Intel+RST)&lang=eng

The ones from Intel are better. Just like how you get the latest video drivers directly from Nvidia / AMD.

Installed all the drivers and checked that its in the Sata6_1 port. (SATA 3)

Now in Samsung Magician under SATA Interface it's saying "You should connect your SSD to a SATA 6Gb/s port for improved performance."

I've done a speed test and read is 280MB/s & write is 260MB/s. This is weird lol.

zeelman

My newly built computer has been a bit unstable while installing and downloading games with Steam. It froze while downloading Borderlands 2 on Friday, and it just froze on me again a minute ago while installing Dragon Age Origins.

ASUS P8Z77-V LK
Core i5 3570K
8 GB Memory- 2x A-Data 4096 MB PC3 10700
GTX 660
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 600W PSU

Could my memory be the culprit? It is not listed in the qualified vendors list in my manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom