• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

Sit at their webpage during release day spamming F5 like a motherfucker.

This! lol. That is what I had to do for my 580 and my 680's when they released. Basicallly just spam F5 pretty much all day. Waiting for the Email Notify will be too slow even.

I will wait for Titan Water Blocks before getting one/two of them...hopefully stock will be much easier to get them...well if this is all true! :)

Koroviev

Another keyboard question. Asking for my boss ;)

He'd like to get in on this mechanical keyboard thing, but he isn't sure what kind he needs. He would be using it at work, where he is the IT director. 99% of the time he will be typing emails and doing other similar tasks, but he does play Mine craft, Deus Ex:HR, etc. during lunch breaks.

Any recommendations? Noise doesn't matter since there's always loud music playing anyway.

kharma45

So... time to build?

ibcLxX9QAZp9tY.png

Fox1304

Hey there PC-Gaf.
I wasn't planning on upgrading anything but I scored two SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 7750 for 40€ both, so I thought " hey, why not build a crossfire rig out of this to get back a bit in PC Gaming ? ".
Naturally, managed to buy a MSI Z77A G45 motherboard for 20€, and I'm now looking for the rest.
It'll be mainly used for Dolphin and (reasonable) PC Gaming on a 1080p TV. I plan on overclocking a bit to fit my needs.
So, now the questions :
- will I be able to use a GT430 that I already have for something like a PhysX engine or equivalent ?
- would a i5-460M be a smart choice for a budget proc ( it would cost me about 40€ ) and my needs ?
- if not, should I look for Ivy or Sandy for best price-efficiency ratio ( keeping in mind a budget as tight as possible ).
- what power supply should I consider ( i have a 350 for now, would that be enough ) ?
- would DDR2 ram be compatible with my mobo ? ( trying to cut all costs as you can see ).

Sorry if those questions seem stupid, but as you can see I've been out of the loop for a while and that's not really my domain :)

mkenyon

Banned
Another keyboard question. Asking for my boss ;)

He'd like to get in on this mechanical keyboard thing, but he isn't sure what kind he needs. He would be using it at work, where he is the IT director. 99% of the time he will be typing emails and doing other similar tasks, but he does play Mine craft, Deus Ex:HR, etc. during lunch breaks.

Any recommendations? Noise doesn't matter since there's always loud music playing anyway.
Browns, Blues, or Greens.
Yeah, I figured. What are some good fans to throw in a BitFenix Shinobi? How many and what sizes should I be looking at? I'm willing to pay extra to keep it quiet.
Depends on what you have inside to keep cool. Two Arctic F12s, Swiftech Helix, BitFenix Spectre Pros, Cougar Vortex are all $10 each and good.
Hey there PC-Gaf.
I wasn't planning on upgrading anything but I scored two SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 7750 for 40€ both, so I thought " hey, why not build a crossfire rig out of this to get back a bit in PC Gaming ? ".
Naturally, managed to buy a MSI Z77A G45 motherboard for 20€, and I'm now looking for the rest.
It'll be mainly used for Dolphin and (reasonable) PC Gaming on a 1080p TV. I plan on overclocking a bit to fit my needs.
So, now the questions :
- will I be able to use a GT430 that I already have for something like a PhysX engine or equivalent ?
- would a i5-460M be a smart choice for a budget proc ( it would cost me about 40€ ) and my needs ?
- if not, should I look for Ivy or Sandy for best price-efficiency ratio ( keeping in mind a budget as tight as possible ).
- what power supply should I consider ( i have a 350 for now, would that be enough ) ?
- would DDR2 ram be compatible with my mobo ? ( trying to cut all costs as you can see ).

Sorry if those questions seem stupid, but as you can see I've been out of the loop for a while and that's not really my domain :)
1) Nope.
2) That's a laptop processor. You will need a 2500K or 3570K.
3) See above.
4) Check the OP, 350 no good.
5) DDR3, <1.5V

iavi

Man oh man, I really hope that 3770k at Microcenter is still on sale when I get the chance to hit Fry's first thing tomorrow morning for the price-match. I didn't think I'd end up with an I7, but the hyper-threading would actually be nice with all the DAWs and assorted VSTs I'm going to load this thing up with.

Also, loud music playing always and an IT director? Where do you work? It sounds marvelous!

Lol seriously. Tech AND loud music? Hook me up with a job Koro!

mkenyon

Banned
Man oh man, I really hope that 3770k at Microcenter is still on sale when I get the chance to hit Fry's first thing tomorrow morning for the price-match. I didn't think I'd end up with an I7, but the hyper-threading would actually be nice with all the DAWs and assorted VSTs I'm going to load this thing up with.

Lol seriously. Tech AND loud music? Hook me up with a job Koro!
Wait wait. Fry's price matches Microcenter!?

iavi

Wait wait. Fry's price matches Microcenter!?

That's what I was told in here only a day or two ago, by multiple peeps. It blew my mind too. All this time I've been lamenting the fact that I don't live next to a Microcenter but a Fry's, and Fry's would have done the work for me all this time.

I'm actually going to test it for myself tomorrow.

Fox1304

Browns, Blues, or Greens.

Depends on what you have inside to keep cool. Two Arctic F12s, Swiftech Helix, BitFenix Spectre Pros, Cougar Vortex are all $10 each and good.

1) Nope.
2) That's a laptop processor. You will need a 2500K or 3570K.
3) See above.
4) Check the OP, 350 no good.
5) DDR3, <1.5V

Thanks ;)

Post some pictures of the build!

Im on the train to the pub now, didnt have time to get any pics after installing windows but will grab some tomorrow.

Thing is a beast though, first time boot and W8 boots in 5-7 seconds. Didnt leave it running for too long but the cpu was sitting at 21-23 celcius at idle, the Phanteks is pretty great.Cant wait to throw some games at it tomorrow

mkenyon

Banned
Extremely noob question but 9/10, to get 120 fps, all you really need to do is disable vsync correct?
Nope.

ANY UE3 game, you have to go into the BaseEngine.ini file and change FrameSmoothing to true, and then the max value to 120. Lots of other oddities too.

Koroviev

That's what I was told in here only a day or two ago, by multiple peeps. It blew my mind too. All this time I've been lamenting the fact that I don't live next to a Microcenter but a Fry's, and Fry's would have done the work for me all this time.

I'm actually going to test it for myself tomorrow.

Yep, Frys definitely price-matches Microcenter. I was there on Wednesday helping my friend select parts for a $2600 build and we had them match a $500 3930K at Micro Center right out of the gate. It was pretty awesome ;)

Rosewill is hard to beat for the price.

Also, loud music playing always and an IT director? Where do you work? It sounds marvelous!

How about this Das? My boss is fond of the idea of having no lettering since he is a Dvorak user.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003F7WXTG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any comparable models for less (blue/brown switch type)?

I work for the IT Department serving an auto group. It's a pretty cool place to work!

Hey, minor suggestion for the OT, in the cases switch out the Source 210 for the Source 210 elite. It costs 10 more, but you get, Toolless Drive bays, an extra fan, and USB 3.0 instead of 2.0.

Kind of regretting ordering the standard, even if I got it for a song (32, free shipping).

Ordering PSU, Storage HD and cooler soon, I AM EXCITE :).

Noaloha

Nope.

ANY UE3 game, you have to go into the BaseEngine.ini file and change FrameSmoothing to true, and then the max value to 120. Lots of other oddities too.

Can I take it from this that buying a 120Hz monitor isn't a plug&play sort of paradigm gaming shift? Is there a lot of tweaking that goes with the purchase to enable its capabilities? If so, any guides you could link to? Or summaries if you have the time?

I'm saving money this month with a view towards grabbing a 120Hz picturemaker at the end of Feb. Now I'm wondering if I'm savvy enough to make it worthwhile. :p

EDIT:
DAS ist gud.
I see what you did there! etc.

Except it's 'gut'. : ]

scogoth

And there aren't any others of comparable quality that don't have the lettering? If so, I'll tell him to go with that. It seems like a good deal, but I'm not that familiar with the mechanical keyboard landscape, lol.

You could (slowly and painstakingly) move the keys around to a dvorak layout on any other mechanical keybaord. As for no keys Das is the only one I've heard of.

mkenyon

Banned
Can I take it from this that buying a 120Hz monitor isn't a plug&play sort of paradigm gaming shift? Is there a lot of tweaking that goes with the purchase to enable its capabilities? If so, any guides you could link to? Or summaries if you have the time?

I'm saving money this month with a view towards grabbing a 120Hz picturemaker at the end of Feb. Now I'm wondering if I'm savvy enough to make it worthwhile. :p

EDIT:

I see what you did there! etc.

Except it's 'gut'. : ]
Yeah yeah. Been awhile since my intensive german class in college.

120hz is pretty much plug and play MOST of the time. There's a few games where there will be a maximum frame cap (UE3) or some random setting that needs to be disabled. They are in the minority though.

Also, VG236HE for $220 on OCN. - http://www.overclock.net/t/1355890/asus-vg236he-23-120hz-nvidia-3d-monitor

kaskade

Sort of related here. I have a Western Digital External drive that I don't really use. I pretty much bought it to do some backup stuff before I built my PC. It seems like it's pretty easy to open up. There shouldn't be any problem putting it in my PC right? I was thinking of transferring my steam games over to it.

Noaloha

Ah cool, that's good to know. If UE3 oddities are in the minority I'm happy to dive in. I just wasn't looking for a yet another PC-configuration concern to apply to 90% of all games before they could be played as wanted. I get miffed enough with juggling keybinds, ini. adjustments, AMD AA settings and tearing considerations as it is.

I'm really hoping the market for 120Hz has cleared up a bit by the end of Feb, it's all weird-looking in the UK right now. And I hope I didn't come across as arsehole-petty in my edit! I was trying to be helpful, I assure ye. The 'DAS ist gut' line was too neat to not correct for the benefit of future usage. : ]

kennah

This is the first of a few I need a new PC Thread Giveaways. GAF has been kind to me so I'd like to pay it forward.

I have up for grabs a Powercolor AMD 6850 1gig card.

This can't go to just anybody however, there are a couple stipulations.

1. You need to prove that you currently have a worse video card. This could be a picture of the inside of your case with your username on a piece of paper, a screenshot of your Device Manager over GAF, or some other such method.

2. Helps if you've posted in the thread before.

3. Write a short bit why you deserve this card and what the first game you're going to play with it will be.

Winner will be chosen from a panel of judges, I'll cover shipping to a reasonable amount, but help with the shipping would be awesome. Deadline is noon EST on Sunday Feb 3rd. Winner will be announced in the week following.

Entrys through PM. I only have one so far!

scogoth

This is the first of a few I need a new PC Thread Giveaways. GAF has been kind to me so I'd like to pay it forward.

This can't go to just anybody however, there are a couple stipulations.

1. You need to prove that you currently have a worse video card. This could be a picture of the inside of your case with your username on a piece of paper, a screenshot of your Device Manager over GAF, or some other such method.

2. Helps if you've posted in the thread before.

3. Write a short bit why you deserve this card and what the first game you're going to play with it will be.

Winner will be chosen from a panel of judges, I'll cover shipping to a reasonable amount, but help with the shipping would be awesome. Deadline is noon EST on Sunday Feb 3rd. Winner will be announced in the week following.

Entrys through PM. I only have one so far!

1) No way I can prove that
2) yes!
3) I don't deserve it

Related note I will have pretty much my entire old setup for sale soon with a ton of fans and accessories. Have to decide what to keep and what to sell first.

Noaloha

Neat pics M3z_. :]

As odd as it seems, and probably purely from a photographic standpoint, I really like how the oranges, yellows and blues (and grey) of the keyboard marry up with the same in the case shot. Tie a red ribbon to one of those H100 tubes!

I always find it weird to compare different territory keyboards to my own too. Something weird's going on with your enter key and I have no idea where your backslash(\) key is! That enormous left-shift has swallowed it up.

ink4n3

So I was just plugging in a USB cable into my desktop when the thing just shut off. When I tried to turn it back on the SSD wasn't being recognized at all. I threw on a new motherboard cable and changed ports and it magically reappeared.

Could there be some type of short by my power button or usb slots? I had a mini freak out moment that I zapped my SSD.

Koroviev

So I was just plugging in a USB cable into my desktop when the thing just shut off. When I tried to turn it back on the SSD wasn't being recognized at all. I threw on a new motherboard cable and changed ports and it magically reappeared.

Could there be some type of short by my power button or usb slots? I had a mini freak out moment that I zapped my SSD.

Yeah, I would test that USB port a bit more.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey, minor suggestion for the OT, in the cases switch out the Source 210 for the Source 210 elite. It costs 10 more, but you get, Toolless Drive bays, an extra fan, and USB 3.0 instead of 2.0.

Kind of regretting ordering the standard, even if I got it for a song (32, free shipping).

Ordering PSU, Storage HD and cooler soon, I AM EXCITE :).
The 210 is there exactly because it's a solid case for dirt cheap. When you go up to $50, you are only $10 away from a variety of much better $60 cases.
I've used the 210 Elite and like it, but for $10 more to get a Shinobi? No brainer.

DJ_Lae

I've done that a few times with my old PC - though the Sonata III case I used was notorious for front port grounding problems.

You probably have a similar short between the USB and power button cabling.

ink4n3

I've done that a few times with my old PC - though the Sonata III case I used was notorious for front port grounding problems.

You probably have a similar short between the USB and power button cabling.

Alright thanks. I'll take a look. I built it back in September but have only used the USB ports a couple of times.

Akai__

The Cougar Vortex (120mm) case fans are 7$ off at Newegg. I have 2 of them. They are very silent and they are looking very cool. If I was only in the US...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom