• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know roughly when new Gpu /cpu architecture /design will become available, and whether that'll make the current line of components cheaper?
I heard that the successor to the Ivybridge will become available sometime in June/July, so I'm considering waiting until then as I'm not in a rush.

Koroviev

This thread is dangerous to bank accounts! So is Frys. I'm glad the nearest one to me is an hour away. If Microcenter was nearby...

Which switch type did you end up going with?

It is! And I live pretty close to Frys... It's only a 30-minute drive. I've been there weekly for the past month.

The CM Quickfire Pro I picked up has the cherry mx brown switches.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It is! And I live pretty close to Frys... It's only a 30-minute drive. I've been there weekly for the past month.

I posted on the Spawn 2 or so days ago. I'm playing better than ever with that mouse. Serious business for gaming.

I used to live by the Frys near Woodland Hills in the valley in SoCal and near a Microcenter in Madison Heights, MI. I do miss the nearby access to PC parts.

New ASUS IPS monitor?! 27", tempting.

Newegg video showcase.

keuja

Assuming these are real, I'm going to wait for the GeForce Titan.

1VtHt

1VtJg

Courtesy of Guru3d: http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/nvidia_geforce_titan_780_3dmark_score.html

wow. But it looks too good to be true...
Does anyone know when Titan's supposed to be launched?

Ty4on

So I'm clear, your saying that bringing air via push/pull would cause my 2 GPU's more strain? I am planning on removing one of the 2 drive cages for better air directly to the cards plus I have the 200mm left side pane fan blowing right onto the GPU's.

Who knows, the rear exaust could exaust most of the hot air from the H100 before it reaches the GPUs. Test it! While most cases have exausts in the top some have intakes in the top and many have dustfilters in the top, even some with exausts in the top :p

mkenyon

Banned
Who knows, the rear exaust could exaust most of the hot air from the H100 before it reaches the GPUs. Test it! While most cases have exausts in the top some have intakes in the top and many have dustfilters in the top, even some with exausts in the top :p
This 100%

Every setup is different.

LiquidMetal14

I'm putting this up now as I just got an offer for a slightly more expensive 256gb Samsung Pro.

Selling my current and really good Vertex 4 SSD with the latest FW, 90 shipped. This is a 130USD SSD that I've only had for a little over a month. Not a lot of wear and I always keep it at over 90GB full. Have the box, 3.5" bay adapter and everything in the box. Shoot me a PM as I asked two other friends but whoever answers first will get it.

This 100%

Every setup is different.

So I will stick to my guns then :p

Honestly, if my CPU temps are around the lower to upper 70's with a good OC, I may stick with this. I'm not going to be OC'ing the reference design GPU's but I will have direct air from the front and the 200mm fan I mentioned blowing in from the side panel.

Cassius

So is the Samsung 840 Pro the best SSD on the market right now? Still have not dipped my toe into the solid state drive market.

LiquidMetal14

So is the Samsung 840 Pro the best SSD on the market right now? Still have not dipped my toe into the solid state drive market.

One of the better as the higher capacity (good SSD's) perform better over the lower capacity. I still get 520 reads and over 300 in write speeds on my Vertex 4. Boot up time is about 7 seconds.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So about an hour long session of Borderlands 2 everything at max settings gpu fan speed only set to 50% and the vid card got only to 53c and CPU to 36c.

I should probably start overclocking, huh?

LiquidMetal14

So about an hour long session of Borderlands 2 everything at max settings gpu fan speed only set to 50% and the vid card got only to 53c and CPU to 36c.

I should probably start overclocking, huh?

Yeah, especially since you have a very meager fan profile that will ramp up and keep things cooler once you really strain the parts.

ss_lemonade

Seasonic x750 has arrived and after testing it on an old computer (just mobo and cpu connectors), seems to be functioning properly. Now all I need is a proper rig lol.

I noticed something though with the mobo cable to the psu. Why is the smaller 10pin plug positioned underneath the bigger one, but the modular slots on the psu are set up the other way around. Made plugging and removing the thing harder than I thought.

Momentary

Banned
Assuming these are real, I'm going to wait for the GeForce Titan.

1VtHt

1VtJg

Courtesy of Guru3d: http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/nvidia_geforce_titan_780_3dmark_score.html

They would have had me with this if it wasn't for the fact that they slapped 780 onto the name.

IF this is real... I have my $1800 ready for 2 of these bad boys. My debit card almost burst into flames when I saw this chart at first.

wow. But it looks too good to be true...
Does anyone know when Titan's supposed to be launched?

It's rumored t be released at the end of February. They are not going to have very many of these available.

Does EVGA have some kind of preordering program?

garath

How are you liking your quick fire pro? I just got mine in the mail today. Takes a bit of getting used to. The g15 I had was a lot lower profile

I may want to get a wrist rest with mine.

Smokey

so what's so special about DAS keyboards?

trying to find one to replace my razer black widow. i really like the clicky ness of cherrymx blue switches, but they can be a bit loud. reading some user reviews on the cm quickfire keyboards their seems to be some big concerns on the QA of the boards, especially the USB cable?

Koroviev

How are you liking your quick fire pro? I just got mine in the mail today. Takes a bit of getting used to. The g15 I had was a lot lower profile

I may want to get a wrist rest with mine.

I'm liking it quite a bit. While I'm partial to blue LEDs, I think it has a nice solid look and feel to it. And my desk has wrist support built into it ;)

trying to find one to replace my razer black widow. i really like the clicky ness of cherrymx blue switches, but they can be a bit loud. reading some user reviews on the cm quickfire keyboards their seems to be some big concerns on the QA of the boards, especially the USB cable?

The USB cable required a bit of force to hook up properly, but I haven't had any issues with it since. Hasn't come out of place or anything like that. The whole unit feels very solid.

Smokey

I'm liking it quite a bit. While I'm partial to blue LEDs, I think it has a nice solid look and feel to it. And my desk has wrist support built into it ;)

The USB cable required a bit of force to hook up properly, but I haven't had any issues with it since. Hasn't come out of place or anything like that. The whole unit feels very solid.

Which model did you get?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

DAS was just one of the first larger players in the US market.

Koroviev

Hey guys, asking for my friend again...So, she put everything together on Wednesday and it seemed to be working great. She installed Windows 8 to the SSD and everything seemed peachy...until it became apparent that the 3TB HDD was DOA.

At this point she has just the 240GB Intel SSD, but her PC (3930k, GTX 680, 32GB RAM, etc.) is needed to efficiently run various media-oriented programs, particularly Autodesk Maya.

What would you guys propose as the ideal storage solution? She can still exchange the SSD if it would accommodate a more efficient alternative. Budget-friendly ideas welcome!

n0n44m

Hey guys, asking for my friend again...So, she put everything together on Wednesday and it seemed to be working great. She installed Windows 8 to the SSD and everything seemed peachy...until it became apparent that the 3TB HDD was DOA.

At this point she has just the 240GB Intel SSD, but her PC (3930k, GTX 680, 32GB RAM, etc.) is needed to efficiently run various media-oriented programs, particularly Autodesk Maya.

What would you guys propose as the ideal storage solution? She can still exchange the SSD if it would accommodate a more efficient alternative. Budget-friendly ideas welcome!

when you build a big-budget PC for serious media work there's 4 types of storage you need

A: Windows (OS) & Programs
B: Temporary Files when editing media with those programs
C: Storage for finished media files
D: Backup

personally I'd say

A: SSD , always !
B: Second (larger) SSD if the temporary files are small enough. If not, a bigger HDD, or two HDDs in RAID-0 if throughput speed is important (like 1080p uncompressed video)
C: HDD or a high-performance NAS
D: NAS, external HDD, etc

so it's really up to the size of the files you expect to be using

When buying a graphics card what's the most essential features that are a must?

well ... competitive performance and value for money ? :)

other than that

quiet, efficient cooling
enough memory (2GB at least for 1080p, more if you want to go crazy with texture mods or play at higher resolutions)
correct outputs (if your monitor uses DL-DVI, confirm that the ports on the card are actually dual-link)

garath

Awesome :)

I'm liking mine as well. I ended up going with the Cherry MX red. It is definitely sensitive. Will take some getting used to. But the action is so much better.

I actually did have a small issue with the USB cable. I thought I had it seated but the computer wasn't recognizing the keyboard. I pushed a little harder and suddenly there it was. Good enough. It's been fine since. The cable routing is very good such that once it's in, I'm not worried at all about it coming loose.

Have any of you guys ever had Catalyst report an incorrect resolution for a TV connected via HDMI? Mine is coming up as 1950x1080 or something mental like that, it's only 720p. So the output is a bit fucked up too making the image blurry.

Koroviev

Awesome :)

I'm liking mine as well. I ended up going with the Cherry MX red. It is definitely sensitive. Will take some getting used to. But the action is so much better.

I actually did have a small issue with the USB cable. I thought I had it seated but the computer wasn't recognizing the keyboard. I pushed a little harder and suddenly there it was. Good enough. It's been fine since. The cable routing is very good such that once it's in, I'm not worried at all about it coming loose.

Yep. If it makes a loud click, you're golden!

Koroviev

when you build a big-budget PC for serious media work there's 4 types of storage you need

A: Windows (OS) & Programs
B: Temporary Files when editing media with those programs
C: Storage for finished media files
D: Backup

personally I'd say

A: SSD , always !
B: Second (larger) SSD if the temporary files are small enough. If not, a bigger HDD, or two HDDs in RAID-0 if throughput speed is important (like 1080p uncompressed video)
C: HDD or a high-performance NAS
D: NAS, external HDD, etc

so it's really up to the size of the files you expect to be using

Thanks for elaborating! Your previous response was the first one I referred back to :)

kennah

840 Pro > 830 > Crucial M4 > 840 (basic)

The 840 Basic has half the lifespan of all the other drives. If you are going to get one, get the 256gig, that one is ok.

And don't get that Corsair one. You'd be better with the 840 basic

840 Pro > 830 > Crucial M4 > 840 (basic)

The 840 Basic has half the lifespan of all the other drives. If you are going to get one, get the 256gig, that one is ok.

And don't get that Corsair one. You'd be better with the 840 basic

I wish I would have the same newegg selection but sometimes you gotta make do with what you got in your local market no matter how crappy it is.

If this was for me I would've probably payed extra to buy it online + international shipping (which is what I did for my current rig) but since it is for someone else, I'll pass on the knowledge and let them decide.

Thanks for all the help.

Zeth

I'm keeping an eye out for a 256GB SSD deal, but I might just pick one up at a local Microcenter. I guess PC Part Picker is a good way to set up notifications for things like that?

Also, need to get my shit together and post pics of my build and a proper thank you to this thread! Cable management wasn't my top priority so I guess I've been a bit hesitant (first build).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom