• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some pics of my rig

LL

Looks very nice.

What case is this? Can you post a picture of the whole thing?

Ok, PC guys, I've been waiting for this moment. My taxes are filed, and I officially have a budget for my long overdue first build ever. My current computer is an aging laptop running Ubuntu, and I'm sorely in need of a Windows desktop. I'm starting from scratch and looking to keep it under $900. It'll be for gaming as well as a digital audio workstation. I don't want to overclock.

My monitor's got a native resolution of 1366 X 900. I don't mind having to dial down graphical details on demanding games, I just want something that will allow me to play them for a few years before I need to upgrade. I won't be pushing the DAW aspect to an extreme or anything, and I already have an external sound card I'll be using.

Here's what I'm looking at:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 (Newegg, $200)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 (Newegg, $110)

Graphics: HIS H785F2G2M Radeon HD 7850 2GB (Newegg, $190)

Memory: G.SKILL Value 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (Newegg, $45)

Storage: WD Blue 1TB (Newegg, $85)

Power supply: Antec VP-450 (Newegg, $39)

Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Newegg, $66)

Together with around $110 of other parts and accessories (wireless adapter, 360 pad, mouse/keyboard, optical drive, bluetooth adapter), I'm sitting at pretty much $845.

My main concern with this is ease of assembly. It's going to be my first build ever, so I don't want to have to deal with anything too intimidating. Because it's to be used for recording, please tell if I picked an especially loud part. Finally, is there a ~$50 addition or substitution I could make to improve overall performance?

Thanks for the fantastic thread.

Koroviev

Ok, PC guys, I've been waiting for this moment. My taxes are filed, and I officially have a budget for my long overdue first build ever. My current computer is an aging laptop running Ubuntu, and I'm sorely in need of a Windows desktop. I'm starting from scratch and looking to keep it under $900. It'll be for gaming as well as a digital audio workstation. I don't want to overclock.

My monitor's got a native resolution of 1366 X 900. I don't mind having to dial down graphical details on demanding games, I just want something that will allow me to play them for a few years before I need to upgrade. I won't be pushing the DAW aspect to an extreme or anything, and I already have an external sound card I'll be using.

Together with around $110 of other parts and accessories (wireless adapter, 360 pad, mouse/keyboard, optical drive, bluetooth adapter), I'm sitting at pretty much $845.

My main concern with this is ease of assembly. It's going to be my first build ever, so I don't want to have to deal with anything too intimidating. Because it's to be used for recording, please tell if I picked an especially loud part. Finally, is there a ~$50 addition or substitution I could make to improve overall performance?

Spend an extra $20 to get the 3570K. Go for low-profile Samsung RAM. Consider a 128GB SSD.

I am pretty sure that is a tiny bit overkill if you're playing at 900p.
You could probably shave off $100-200 by downgrading the CPU and GPU, and still be able to play maxed out games.

Does someone have a couple of direct links to the Samsung 30nm RAM btw?
All I can find is laptop RAM, so some product name/number would be kinda useful.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P SE14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£49.81 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (£141.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£43.98 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£54.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£54.60 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£161.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case (£64.99 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£85.42 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £819.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-01 23:31 GMT+0000)

Is the above RAM the good stuff?

I've been playing around with Mkenyon's mini-PC builds, and think I got something reasonable balanced. I think I can downgrade the PSU to a 420-520W version, but I'm not sure about what alternatives would fit the Bitfenix Prodigy without too much difficulty. Similarly, the mobo looks a tiny bit overpriced, but I read some reviews and found it to fit the case and be pretty decent when it comes to overclocking.

Looks nice and tidy!

How's the sound levels on the BeQuiet?
Also, it looks modular - is it?
Did it come with a UK/EU plug?

I am kinda considering the 420W BeQuiet PSU.

kharma45

Looks nice and tidy!

How's the sound levels on the BeQuiet?
Also, it looks modular - is it?
Did it come with a UK/EU plug?

I am kinda considering the 420W BeQuiet PSU.

It's as tidy as I can get it with this case tbh, might try a bit more work at it tomorrow.

The Be Quiet! lives up to it's name, I couldn't hear any noise off it. It's a semi-modular one, I got the 430w L8 version although not through Amazon as it wasn't available for immediate dispatch when I was buying it. Yeah it did come with a UK plug despite what the Amazon reviews say, maybe it's just a batch that they had that didn't have it but my one from Ebuyer had it.

Good review on the unit here http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/bequiet-pure-power-l8-430w-cm-psu-review/

histopher

Need some help here, I originally followed the Enthusiast build but since showed it to some coworkers etc and now my build has changed. Although the guys I got advice off are in IT, they're not as involved with this stuff so I trust the judgement more here.

Cheers

Your Current Specs: Intel Quad Core / 4GB DDR2 / GIGABYTE EP43 / GEFORCE 9600GT 1GB / 500W P4 ATX HUNTKEY
Budget: $2000 or less + Australia
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming 5, Gaming 5. Emulation (PS2/Wii) 3, Video Editing 5, HD Streaming 5, 3D/Model work 3, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 5.
Monitor Resolution: Will be buying new monitors later on. Probably in the 23" range.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? Will you use CUDA accelerated software? Would just like to run games comfortable for a few years without trouble. However the money I've set aside if it will allow me to up the quality I'm all for it. My current build dies when playing certain games after random amounts of time.
Looking to reuse any parts?: 1 x 2TB Western Digital HDD.
When will you build?: What time frames are doable? Are you building this weekend? Do you need it in a week or so? Can you wait a month or two? Would like to start soon but no serious rush.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe...

So the current build I have is:

PSU: Corsair HX-650 V2 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD Retail Box
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 Overclocked 2GB

Still haven't settled on a case either.

I'm sure this might be overkill in a lot of areas, but I have the cash aside so why not?
I tend to do a bit of everything, animating, video editing, modelling, design work, coding etc, and lots of multitasking.

If there's any part I should swap please let me know (and why).

Thanks for any help!

Does anyone know if 16GB of ram would be a significant improvement over 8GB if you don't do video editing or 3D-stuff?

Multitasking wise, I only see myself having twenty-odd tabs open, maybe running winamp in the background, while playing some game at high-max settings at a rez from 1336x768 to 1920x1080.

8GB would be enough for that right?

scogoth

Gunmetal Gray NZXT Switch 810

Are those scratch marks on the window?

Does anyone know if 16GB of ram would be a significant improvement over 8GB if you don't do video editing or 3D-stuff?

Multitasking wise, I only see myself having twenty-odd tabs open, maybe running winamp in the background, while playing some game at high-max settings at a rez from 1336x768 to 1920x1080.

8GB would be enough for that right?

8GB is probably enough. I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure video editing and 3D modelling will use as much RAM as you throw at it. Gaming makes no difference.

Also remove all HDDs from OP. They suck. God damn WDD Black can't handle downloading movies to it while copying movies to it while watching movies from it.

mkenyon

Banned
Also remove all HDDs from OP. They suck. God damn WDD Black can't handle downloading movies to it while copying movies to it while watching movies from it.
I knew you'd come around.

If I came across a large pool of money, I'd seriously consider building a NAS/Fileserver out of nothing but 500GB SSDs.

I am pretty sure that is a tiny bit overkill if you're playing at 900p.
You could probably shave off $100-200 by downgrading the CPU and GPU, and still be able to play maxed out games.

Does someone have a couple of direct links to the Samsung 30nm RAM btw?
All I can find is laptop RAM, so some product name/number would be kinda useful.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P SE14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£49.81 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (£141.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£43.98 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£54.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£54.60 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£161.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case (£64.99 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£85.42 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £819.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-01 23:31 GMT+0000)

Is the above RAM the good stuff?

I've been playing around with Mkenyon's mini-PC builds, and think I got something reasonable balanced. I think I can downgrade the PSU to a 420-520W version, but I'm not sure about what alternatives would fit the Bitfenix Prodigy without too much difficulty. Similarly, the mobo looks a tiny bit overpriced, but I read some reviews and found it to fit the case and be pretty decent when it comes to overclocking.

You're using different currency, both the cpu and gpu you quoted are more expensive than he ones he has listed.

kennah

really? is it good playing games maxed out?
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.

'Maxed out' and '$600 or less' do not belong together. Even going AMD. Price to performance even low end intel beats them with better upgrade options.

Edit: I also forgot "when you buy cheap you buy twice"

Koroviev

Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.

'Maxed out' and '$600 or less' do not belong together. Even going AMD. Price to performance even low end intel beats them.

Edit: I also forgot "when you buy cheap you buy twice"

Yep. When it comes to PC parts, if the better part is within $20 of your budget, man up and get it. Otherwise, you will get it later. (Seriously, you will.)

I'm already contemplating cards $100+ above my original "budget" of $200 (with which I bought the 2GB TF 7850). And I'm looking at my case (Enermax Ostrog), too...

In what games is the 7850 going to struggle @1080p?

mkenyon

Banned
Need some help here, I originally followed the Enthusiast build but since showed it to some coworkers etc and now my build has changed. Although the guys I got advice off are in IT, they're not as involved with this stuff so I trust the judgement more here.

Cheers

Your Current Specs: Intel Quad Core / 4GB DDR2 / GIGABYTE EP43 / GEFORCE 9600GT 1GB / 500W P4 ATX HUNTKEY
Budget: $2000 or less + Australia
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming 5, Gaming 5. Emulation (PS2/Wii) 3, Video Editing 5, HD Streaming 5, 3D/Model work 3, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 5.
Monitor Resolution: Will be buying new monitors later on. Probably in the 23" range.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? Will you use CUDA accelerated software? Would just like to run games comfortable for a few years without trouble. However the money I've set aside if it will allow me to up the quality I'm all for it. My current build dies when playing certain games after random amounts of time.
Looking to reuse any parts?: 1 x 2TB Western Digital HDD.
When will you build?: What time frames are doable? Are you building this weekend? Do you need it in a week or so? Can you wait a month or two? Would like to start soon but no serious rush.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe...

So the current build I have is:

PSU: Corsair HX-650 V2 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD Retail Box
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 Overclocked 2GB

Still haven't settled on a case either.

I'm sure this might be overkill in a lot of areas, but I have the cash aside so why not?
I tend to do a bit of everything, animating, video editing, modelling, design work, coding etc, and lots of multitasking.

If there's any part I should swap please let me know (and why).

Thanks for any help!
Solid as hell.

If you want to maximize $:performance, I'd swap out the motherboard for an ASRock Extreme 4, and the HX650 for Seasonic whatever, or even the Antec BP550. HX650 is good though, don't get me wrong. Super super solid.

any advice on a good program to transfer my os into another ssd? my 40 gig is almost out of space and can barely handle Windows updates and now I'm looking to put Windows on another sdd I bought. all my other programs are already on my data drive so it's just Windows I'm looking to migrate over.

Koroviev

any advice on a good program to transfer my os into another ssd? my 40 gig is almost out of space and can barely handle Windows updates and now I'm looking to put Windows on another sdd I bought. all my other programs are already on my data drive so it's just Windows I'm looking to migrate over.

I would just do a fresh install...transferring data files is cake, but program files usually give me issues. And it helps me weed out the programs I actually use. But then, I'm partial to spartan storage...I have a 1TB HDD + 256gb SSD and the inferiority of the HDD bothers me.

Ty4on

See for yourself. They measure how much time it takes for the rig to calculate a frame, 16.7ms is 1/60 (60fps) and 33.3ms is 1/30 (30fps).

The reason has to do with threaded performance because a CPU with eight cores is great when they all have something to do. Unfortunately it is hard to make games threaded, many are barely threaded and lot's of slightly older or indie games are just running on one thread which will only tax one CPU. That's why it is important with beefy cores that can provide great single threaded performance, but even though AMD intended for this the Bulldozer architecture was rushed and even performed slightly worse then the outgoing Phenom II CPUs in single threaded performance.

With Intel their naming for desktops with 1155 (consumer socket) usually means this:
Pentium - Dual core
i3 - Dual core with hyper threading*
i5 - Quad core (K can be overclocked to 4+Ghz)
i7 - Quad core with hyper threading* (K can be overclocked to 4+Ghz)
*hyper threading means each core can handle two threads at once, increases threaded performance by 20-40%.

For gaming the i5 3570k (or 2500k, weaker per clock, but overclocks better) is in most games as good as a 1000$ six core i7, but if you plan on building a budget rig and won't play the most CPU intensive games an i3 will do great. Remember that the cores are all the same so a dual threaded game will run just as good on a 3.4Ghz Pentium as a 3.4Ghz i7 (not counting turbo).
In what games is the 7850 going to struggle @1080p?

Not if you don't mind playing on high or medium instead of very high in some games. I'm pretty impressed at how well my 7870 is doing maxing out Skyrim and Planetside 2 with PS2 being surprisingly smooth at 40-60fps (capped). In the Crysis 3 beta I can play at a mix of very high and high with some SMAA and get 30-60 fps. At high it was pretty smooth keeping itself above 60fps most of the time. It was even (kinda) playable at very high with higest SMAA at like 20fps :p

Kyq1iy1.png

Think this was either very high with no AA or the mix I talked about.

Banglish

Hey guys I was hoping someone could help me with a small problem.
I just installed a Saphire Radeon HD 5450 card. I was wondering why I can't set my resolution to 1920 x 1080? When I try I'm getting the "analog out of range, 67.5 Khz/60 Khz" screen. My monitor is a LG Flatron W2242TQ.

I would just do a fresh install...transferring data files is cake, but program files usually give me issues. And it helps me weed out the programs I actually use. But then, I'm partial to spartan storage...I have a 1TB HDD + 256gb SSD and the inferiority of the HDD bothers me.

Thanks I thought of this to but would I have to save a backup of my files to my HDD first then just restore them after windows is installed? Not exactly sure how to go about it. I'm assuming windows would recognize all my installed programs on my HDD so I don't have to install them again but I'm not entirely sure.

Pandemic

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs:
- WDC WD10EAVS-00D7B1 1000.2GB (WD stands for Western Digital Corporation)
Total - 953865 MB, Free - 524237 MB;
- RAM : 4096 MB DDR2 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 400.8 MHz (1:2) @ 5-5-5-15
Slot 1 : 2048MB (6400)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Team Group Inc.
Slot 2 : 2048MB (6400)
- Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT, 512 Mb
- Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-MA78G-DS3HP
- Not sure the name of the PSU but it's only 500W
- Case: Thermaltake (not sure the specifics, sorry)

Budget: $2000-$2500

Main Use: Gaming, General Usage, work (Word, Web, 1080p playback).

Monitor Resolution: Uh, not sure.. 1080p I guess...? I have a pretty crap monitor at the moment, it's a.. ViewSonic 24 inch monitor, pretty old, guess I could do with a new one, but still works perfectly. New monitor could be added on top of the $2000-$2500 if I were to upgrade.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Anything that will run the latest games on high/ultra settings and will last me for a few years (probably asking for to much, but then again I know nothing about computers)

Looking to reuse any parts?: Doubt any of my current PC specs are worth keeping.

When will you build?: Whenever is fine. I'll also probably get someone to build it for me since I'm terrible at using computers, let alone building one.

Will you be overclocking?: Uh.. Not sure if I've ever overclocked this current PC, so I don't know.

Guess no-one is interested, should I try building a PC myself and then posting the specs here for it to be.. ''approved'' I guess you could say..?

Ultrabum

Guess no-one is interested, should I try building a PC myself and then posting the specs here for it to be.. ''approved'' I guess you could say..?

You have a really large budget, check the OP, go with one of the higher teir builds. I suggest the fractal R4 as a case, GTX 680 with kind of money.

Get a SSD 128 or 256.

Your gonna love your PC.

Post additional questions.

If the $/gb is similar enough between 2TB and 3TB WD Greens, is there any reason not to get the 3TB? Or does shit get weird over 2TB? And if not, is the 3TB WD Green the best option for upgrading mass storage?

Hooked up my old Viewsonic (Trinitron tech) to test out some stuff and wow... CRT is still king!

1600 x 1200 @ 99Hz and I'm an FPS GOD :)

Seem to notice more microstutter in SLI tho... :-(

NoRéN

I did play Saint's Row The Third maxed out and it ran well. Of course, it's no Skyrim but I was very happy with the performance.

Basically, I really doubt hazaro would recommend a build that would not run games well, regardless of budget. Also using a MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GB.

M3z_

I saw a article benchmarking an i3 3225 or 3220 I don't remember which with a 7970 in various games and it really just depended what game you were playing as to whether the i3 would hold you back or not. Some games like Skyrim saw as much as 30FPS difference between an i3 3225 with a 7970 v an i7 3770k with 7970 and other game saw as little as 2FPS difference between the two processors. Different games use your processor differently, most games don't require much of it, but then there are a few game that will.

I been trying to find the article but have yet to find it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom