• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
The post in the last page has got me thinking:

Is there any way I can improve my cable management/aesthetics in the main space?

gtUjk.jpgFront

Granted this might be a bad photo, but it doesn't quite look as neat as I want it to.
I'm also going to have to take a better picture than this :/

mkenyon

Banned
The post in the last page has got me thinking:

Is there any way I can improve my cable management/aesthetics in the main space?

Granted this might be a bad photo, but it doesn't quite look as neat as I want it to.
I'm also going to have to take a better picture than this :/
Not really, but a few ideas You could pull your cables tighter and then secure them in place on the back panel to have less cable coming out of the holes, and then try to hide your fan cables a bit more.
Will my setup need water cooling?
No such thing as a setup that needs watercooling. Your 3930K would benefit from a better cooler if you want to push it to the 4.8ish region though.

MysticX

hm, I´m unable to do anything, I try chkdsk /f or /r and it says it´s in read only mode, shutdown command is not found, bootrec shows no windows partitions.....

this is hurting my brain now

MysticX

hm, I´m back in, better make a system restore point fast and back the shit up of everything worthwile

I believe the fail was when I did the boorec.exe /fixmbr and it fixed the wrong one, since it´s 2 2TB disks and 2 drives (RAID 0 does not support >2TB) and it fixed the wrong one, apperantly

I don´t know what caused it, but I am definetly going to disable AMD Overdrive now

I also believe I will make a new raid 0 by using 2 1TB´s instead of 2´s to avoid further confusion

Coldsnap

I need some sort of wireless internet card for my desktop PC.. since in my new apartment the router is in another room. Before running to Tiger Direct to get one, is there ones to avoid? Are the USB ones crap?

garath

I need some sort of wireless internet card for my desktop PC.. since in my new apartment the router is in another room. Before running to Tiger Direct to get one, is there ones to avoid? Are the USB ones crap?

Maybe look at powerline ethernet instead? I'm sure some people use wireless successfully but I'm always a fan of a hard line whenever possible.

Coldsnap

I don't play any shooters or anything twitchy enough to need a really fast connection. I usually like hardline ethernet but don't have the energy to route another cable

mkenyon

Banned
The link I posted yesterday said it wouldn't be called 780?

Either way if this is legit.. Shit just got real

Edit.. I dunno.. I may go with fake. It's hard to wrap my head around that performance from a single card...
I'm thinking fake based on the 780 part.
Hey Gaf I'm pretty interested in doing an ITX build do you guys know any cases that would be a good choice?
Check out the OP for the SFF guide.

Not really, but a few ideas You could pull your cables tighter and then secure them in place on the back panel to have less cable coming out of the holes, and then try to hide your fan cables a bit more.

Thank mkenyon.
I guess this will suffice for my first build and as a broke college student haha.
Someday I'll build a classy one with cable sleeves n' all :)

Bleeether

I want to upgrade the fans on my H100 (too loud).

I'm thinking of going with Noctua, but are there any other brands i should consider that are just as good/quiet before i purchase?

mkenyon

Banned
Holy shit. Just realized the launch window for Titan perfectly lines up with an "extremely special and huge presentation with Tom Petersen from NVIDIA" at PDXLAN next month.

I was about to sell my ticket, but I think I might keep it just for this and the mod contest.

*edit*

Last time there was something this big, they showed us the 580 and 570 3 days before launch.

iavi

I want to upgrade the fans on my H100 (too loud).

I'm thinking of going with Noctua, but are there any other brands that i should consider are just as good/quiet before i purchase?

Corsair SP120s are said to be fantastic fans. If you like, go with the performance editions, and use the included voltage step-down adapter if you think them to loud.

@V0mitg0d

1. Love the name.
2. Are you opposed to ITX? Do you need more than a single expansion slot?
3. If you do want it fully watercooled, are you interested in having someone build it for you? If yes, are you in the States or Canada? If you are interested in building it yourself, this is what I'd suggest:

Is this your build? It looks amazing. What are the major drawbacks of using mini ITX? No SLI / Crossfire is obvious, but what about longer graphic cards?

Helping out someone with soon to be a new reg and trying to figure out if the PSU we choose would be enough

CPU: 3570K
GPU: GTX 680 2GB(either the Asus or the Gigabyte model)
P8Z77 v-LK motherboard
8GB of RAM

Would something like this be enough ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139040

Also if both prices are the same which model would you choose, the Asus DC2T or the Gigabyte tripe fan one ? (Personally slightly leaning towards the Asus one)

kharma45

Helping out someone with soon to be a new reg and trying to figure out if the PSU we choose would be enough

CPU: 3570K
GPU: GTX 680 2GB(either the Asus or the Gigabyte model)
P8Z77 v-LK motherboard
8GB of RAM

Would something like this be enough ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139040

Also if both prices are the same which model would you choose, the Asus DC2T or the Gigabyte tripe fan one ? (Personally slightly leaning towards the Asus one)

CX models aren't great, for that money you could have this instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119&Tpk=seasonic g 550

Anything 500w and above is more than plenty for that set up. I think the ASUS is slightly better btw for the 670.

DEO3

Is it normal for voltage to be all over the place with a 3570K? I'm overclocking it on an ASRock Extreme4 Z77, and I'm having a hard time determining how much I should be adding because by even adding a little I will often see it spike into the 1.3-1.4 range, which really freaks me out. For the time being I'm simply running it at 4.2Ghz since I can do that without any additional voltage, but I know I can go higher - if only I didn't have to worry about such high spikes.

Okay sooo...

My parts are here, but I'm really not sure about how to ground myself. I've got an anti-static wrist strap, but I've read in some places that it's not enough alone. I've also read how you can plug it in at the wall, but I've also read that that's really dangerous.

Any tips?

kennah

Don't work on carpet. Don't drag your feet. Plug in the power supply. You're fine. Stuff isn't nearly as sensitive as it used to be.

Bleeether

Corsair SP120s are said to be fantastic fans. If you like, go with the performance editions, and use the included voltage step-down adapter if you think them to loud.

Ya, see those mentioned a lot. I have a sort of Corsair theme in my computer, so there is that thing going for it.

All the options charts and data out there are overwhelming it makes it so hard to decide.

mr2xxx

Banned
Okay sooo...

My parts are here, but I'm really not sure about how to ground myself. I've got an anti-static wrist strap, but I've read in some places that it's not enough alone. I've also read how you can plug it in at the wall, but I've also read that that's really dangerous.

Any tips?

I haven't used wrist straps in probably 15 years on countless builds. Just don't do anything stupid and you should be fine.

Anton668

Don't work on carpet. Don't drag your feet. Plug in the power supply. You're fine. Stuff isn't nearly as sensitive as it used to be.

this.

pretty much dont go wearing furry pjs while having fuzzy slippers on when working on thick carpet dragging your feet all over.

if you watch the newegg viddy about building a pc they just say to make sure you ground yourself one in a while by touching something metal.

mkenyon

Banned
No fucking way,thats crazy,I would believe it if it was a dual GPU but a single. .... C'mon man. I still can't wait for the next gen cards though.
Titan is out next month, and it isn't a next gen card. It's already in use in the enterprise world as the Tesla K20.
Is this your build? It looks amazing. What are the major drawbacks of using mini ITX? No SLI / Crossfire is obvious, but what about longer graphic cards?
It is not, it's a friend's that I helped plan out though.

abunai

Power supply died. RIP :(
New seasonic should be here tomorrow though. Got a new heatsink too (noctua) since the backplate on my prolimatech megahalem managed to curve and the heatsink now vibrates?

Literally no idea how that happened since it was fine and rigid a day ago.

Cassius

@V0mitg0d

1. Love the name.
2. Are you opposed to ITX? Do you need more than a single expansion slot?
3. If you do want it fully watercooled, are you interested in having someone build it for you? If yes, are you in the States or Canada? If you are interested in building it yourself, this is what I'd suggest:

I'm familiar with the case but what parts are you using to get that look on the inside? Looks great. Especially the cooler.

Jburton

Banned
5 month old Gigabyte board bricked!!

Had nothing but issues with it (boot loop), did a bios update (have done a couple of times already so well versed in correct procedure) and upon restart it sits at the bios splash screen and nothing more, can't access the bios and it goes to black screen after 5 minutes.

Going to RMA it and get it replaced / repaired and sell it on.

Have a MSI z77a-g45 on the way tomorrow, which will be an upgrade over my z68 gigabyte.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Is there a reason you have the SPs positioned for intake at the top? Heat rises.

I have to AF120s--quiet editions at the top of my 550d too. Set for exhaust. I'm also getting an AF140quiet for the top/rear exhaust, and an SP120performance for the hyper 212 evo. I've removed the drive bays and taped my ssd behind the motherboard tray, so the two performance edition AF12os at the front for intake face absolutely no obstruction.

I have air as an intake from the top as I am doing push/pull. I talked to several folks on dedicated forums and 2 users here who have the same setup with either an h80 or h100i. I would rather bring cool air in from the top as that will be cooling the CPU plus bringing in cooler air from outside into the case. My exhaust is on the upper rear and I have 2 front 120mm intakes plus 1 bottom 120mm intake next to the PSU.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm familiar with the case but what parts are you using to get that look on the inside? Looks great. Especially the cooler.
Aquacomputer 670 block, Alphacool ST30 240mm radiator, D5 pump + res.
I have air as an intake from the top as I am doing push/pull. I talked to several folks on dedicated forums and 2 users here who have the same setup with either an h80 or h100i. I would rather bring cool air in from the top as that will be cooling the CPU plus bringing in cooler air from outside into the case. My exhaust is on the upper rear and I have 2 front 120mm intakes plus 1 bottom 120mm intake next to the PSU.
This is formed by anecdotal silliness.

Test for yourself, but in all my testing, it was a 1-2C difference on the CPU. BUT, the GPU temps suffered majorly because of it. We're talking a difference of 6-10C on it.

Considering that almost all cases are designed for a bottom/front intake and rear/top exhaust, screwing with that by having an additional intake on the rear/top throws it off.

iavi

I'm not getting how it would operate cooler. Even with fans on radiator duty, it'd be better to channel air in, up, and out right?

Well, coming from the top does get air cross the socket quicker, I guess, but still...

edit: I hadn't even considered how the gpu would suffer.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah. Top/rear as exhaust unless you are completely changing the thermal layout of your case.

Definitely have the H100/H80 as exhaust instead of intake.
I'm not getting how it would operate cooler.
In theory, people say this because the temperature of the air directly above your case is cooler than the ambient air inside of the case.

However, the air that H100 is going to be exhausting is air that has been in your case for only a very very tiny amount of time, which was pulled in from the front. It hasn't had the time to heat up.

I've even put my ambient air sensor directly next to the CPU with a similar setup on my fractal (H60 on rear exhausting), and the temperature was 2C different than ambient room temp.

Poker360

Can anyone assist with a motherboard?

Building my first PC, thought I was set on this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R21JJK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

but then started second guessing myself. I kind of would like Wi-fi and bluetooth built in, do people normally do that or buy external devices for that?

Going to be attaching a i5 3570k, EVGA GTX670, 8gb DDR3 1600 ram, Samsung 840 pro SSD, 1 TB HDD, etc.

suggestions? I know nothing about motherboards really... Don't wanna spend over $150

LiquidMetal14

I'm not getting how it would operate cooler. Even with fans on radiator duty, it'd be better to channel air in, up, and out right?

Well, coming from the top does get air cross the socket quicker, I guess, but still...

edit: I hadn't even considered how the gpu would suffer.

Air does run upward but that's what the upper rear exhaust is for.

Holy shit. Just realized the launch window for Titan perfectly lines up with an "extremely special and huge presentation with Tom Petersen from NVIDIA" at PDXLAN next month.

I was about to sell my ticket, but I think I might keep it just for this and the mod contest.

*edit*

Last time there was something this big, they showed us the 580 and 570 3 days before launch.

You have tickets to shows like that? awesome...!

Live tweet/blog gogo! lol

mkenyon

Banned
You have tickets to shows like that? awesome...!

Live tweet/blog gogo! lol
PDXLAN.net

Anyone can get a ticket! It's also an awesome weekend of gaming.

550+ now, so it's the largest LAN on the West Coast. I think QuakeCon might be a bit bigger though for biggest US LAN.

Hawk269

*edit*

Yes, keep your tickets. This way we get hands on information.

On the Titan Subject, I think it might be real based on the comments from Nvidia a while back in regards to the 110. If it does provide this performance, it will not come cheap. If they can produce a card that out-performs the 690 by over 1000 X Points and the 690 is a $1000.00 card, well you all know where I am going here. I think it will be just a very high end card ala the 3930x/3960x, basically enthusiasts grade GPU.

With that said...I want two of them and under water! :)

LiquidMetal14

Aquacomputer 670 block, Alphacool ST30 240mm radiator, D5 pump + res.

This is formed by anecdotal silliness.

Test for yourself, but in all my testing, it was a 1-2C difference on the CPU. BUT, the GPU temps suffered majorly because of it. We're talking a difference of 6-10C on it.

Considering that almost all cases are designed for a bottom/front intake and rear/top exhaust, screwing with that by having an additional intake on the rear/top throws it off.

Alright, so use it as an exhaust then. I'm racking my brain over this ><

LiquidMetal14

Just test for yourself, then you don't have to make sense of it since you have exact data :p

So I'm clear, your saying that bringing air via push/pull would cause my 2 GPU's more strain? I am planning on removing one of the 2 drive cages for better air directly to the cards plus I have the 200mm left side pane fan blowing right onto the GPU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom