• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so the build is done, but I'm getting constant audio issues. Audio will play for a few seconds, then cut out.

I installed the Realtek HD drivers I got with the MOBO after installing the OS, then tried uninstalling them to no avail. I've tried downloading the latest catalyst; I've switched to HDMI in the BIOS settings; I've tried using Digital Audio (HDMI) and gotten pretty much the same thing. I've opened the case back up to see if the HD audio connector is in correctly, which it seems to be (Am I missing anything here?). Neither front panel or the back panels work either.

Please tell me I'm making a beginner's mistake - I really don't fancy having to take it apart and wait 90 days for another MOBO or something.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Okay, so the build is done, but I'm getting constant audio issues. Audio will play for a few seconds, then cut out.

I installed the Realtek HD drivers I got with the MOBO after installing the OS, then tried uninstalling them to no avail. I've tried downloading the latest catalyst; I've switched to HDMI in the BIOS settings; I've tried using Digital Audio (HDMI) and gotten pretty much the same thing. I've opened the case back up to see if the HD audio connector is in correctly, which it seems to be (Am I missing anything here?). Neither front panel or the back panels work either.

Please tell me I'm making a beginner's mistake - I really don't fancy having to take it apart and wait 90 days for another MOBO or something.
Use CCleaner and uninstall any audio drivers that were installed. Clean your registry, then restart.

Use the default Windows audio drivers (let it nab from internet if it needs to). See if it is working.

After that download the latest audio drivers from your mobo makers website.

Use CCleaner and uninstall any audio drivers that were installed. Clean your registry, then restart.

Use the default Windows audio drivers (let it nab from internet if it needs to). See if it is working.

After that download the latest audio drivers from your mobo makers website.

So what exactly am I looking for in CCleaner?

Okay so, I removed the AMD audio drivers and disabled automatic updates. Restarted.

Cleaned registry. Installed the latest Realtek drivers. Restarted. Opened Realtek Audio Manager and it has a 'switch' for HDMI or optical. It was on optical so I switched it over. It seems to be working much better now, but it's still cutting out at times.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Okay so, I removed the AMD audio drivers and disabled automatic updates. Restarted.

Cleaned registry. Installed the latest Realtek drivers. Restarted. Opened Realtek Audio Manager and it has a 'switch' for HDMI or optical. It was on optical so I switched it over. It seems to be working much better now, but it's still cutting out at times.

EDIT: Aaaaand now it's gone again..
Sounds like your setup is more complicated than Speakers -> Your headphones
List all your parts and hardware you are connecting.

Did you remove the Realtek Audio drivers at the start though?
And try to let Windows setup your audio automatically with default drivers to see if basic stereo out is working.

Sounds like your setup is more complicated than Speakers -> Your headphones
List all your parts and hardware you are connecting.

Did you remove the Realtek Audio drivers at the start though?
And try to let Windows setup your audio automatically with default drivers to see if basic stereo out is working.

I removed the Realtek Audio drivers last night while troubleshooting. That's when the AMD ones automatically downloaded.

- Asus P8Z77-V LK
- Intel i5 3570k
- Cooler Master 212 EVO
- Samsung Green RAM 8GB
- AMD Radeon 7950
- XFX 550W PSU
- Samsung AH-224 optical drive
- Samsung 840 120GB SSD
- Windows 7 64-bit
- Cooler Master 690ii Advanced case

I have looked in the case - the HD audio cable is plugged in fully. The USB 2.0 front panel doesn't seem to be working either and it's at the same end of the case. I might add that the power button and stuff is also there, so I'm not sure if it's a motherboard problem.

I have HDMI plugged in via the 7950 (PCIe), perhaps it's a slot issue. I do have 2 extra slots, is it worth trying them?

One more thing: When the machine boots up, it gets to the 'starting Windows' screen, freezes, turns purple for a moment and then opens Windows. I take it this is another problem?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I removed the Realtek Audio drivers last night while troubleshooting. That's when the AMD ones automatically downloaded.

- Asus P8Z77-V LK
- Intel i5 3570k
- Cooler Master 212 EVO
- Samsung Green RAM 8GB
- AMD Radeon 7950
- XFX 550W PSU
- Samsung AH-224 optical drive
- Samsung 840 120GB SSD
- Windows 7 64-bit
- Cooler Master 690ii Advanced case

I have looked in the case - the HD audio cable is plugged in fully. The USB 2.0 front panel doesn't seem to be working either and it's at the same end of the case. I might add that the power button and stuff is also there, so I'm not sure if it's a motherboard problem.

I have HDMI plugged in via the 7950 (PCIe), perhaps it's a slot issue. I do have 2 extra slots, is it worth trying them?

One more thing: When the machine boots up, it gets to the 'starting Windows' screen, freezes, turns purple for a moment and then opens Windows. I take it this is another problem?
The AMD Audio should only be for your GPU.

The HD Audio connector is just for your front panel, so I'd unplug that and your front panel USB as well (Might be a short in the case wiring). Uninstall audio drivers, clean registry, reboot, see if basic audio out (green headphone jack) is working or not. Default Windows drivers should try fine. If those don't auto work, install the audio chipset drivers.

If still no, take out your GPU as well and run your system from onboard video and try again.

Basic questions:
Anything (screws?) stuck behind the motherboard?
You installed the motherboard on standoff screws?
Anything sound loose?
All power plugged into where it should go? (4/8 pin mobo power, 6 or 6+2 power to GPU, nothing loose?)

Headed to bed now, hope you get it sorted out.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Next-Gen-NVIDIA-and-AMD-GPUs-Delayed-to-Q4-2013-325786.shtml

New gpu's may be delayed until q4 according to this. Not good if true but one would hope that the increase in performance would be bigger if there is such a delay.
Not buying into it until more info is known.

Momentary

Banned
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Next-Gen-NVIDIA-and-AMD-GPUs-Delayed-to-Q4-2013-325786.shtml

New gpu's may be delayed until q4 according to this. Not good if true but one would hope that the increase in performance would be bigger if there is such a delay.

Whew... I thought this was going to affect the release of Titan. Looks like it won't.

This even works to my advantage. I won't have to update until they do a Maxwell refresh. This is actually some pretty good news for me.

I'm hungover and installing drivers, so here's a couple of pics!

jjpZaS2xej5ip.jpg

jbtruEb1oHlmsW.jpg

Leckan

If you have a dedicated soundcard like the Asus DGX that has a headphone amp and Dolby headphone 5.1 for example and want to play games on your big screen plasma with headphones how do you get that to work. A single HDMI from the GPU won't activate the soundcard will it?

alcide

Banned
If you have a dedicated soundcard like the Asus DGX that has a headphone amp and Dolby HD 5.1 for example and want to play games on your big screen plasma with headphones how do you get that to work. A single HDMI from the GPU won't activate the soundcard will it?

Can't you just right click on the sound icon in the bottom right hand corner and click 'Playback Devices' and select whatever you want to use from there?

For example, I have headphones, 5.1 PC speakers and an HDMI cable which can all output sound. I can default one, or select another if I want.

Hey guys, had a quick question or rather just needed a bit of advice. I'm trying to put together my first PC. Something that can play most, if not, all of the modern games. I'm thinking about following the Standard build on the front page since it falls into my budget (around 500 at least, though trying to wiggle a little bit more). My concern really is the video card, or specifically the one I would like to buy:

XFX HD-687A-ZHFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150561

Some of the reviews say that the fan died on them, so I guess I just wanted to hear any feedback on the card...or really any advice on the build itself, if anyone has any. Appreciate anyone who reads this. Thanks in advance.

aristotle

So I reworked what I initially thought I was going to buy. I forgot how long I needed to use this rig for more than just games. I'll be running Maya, Adobe suite, light video editing, etc. Any advice or something else I should look into?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B09S

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($383.98 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Raider ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Microcenter)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($158.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1204.11

The case is just a placeholder, unless I can't find what I'm looking for @ Fry's. More than likely I'll be getting a 256gb SSD and a 1tb HDD too. I may upgrade to a bluray drive as well.

I used to work there years ago and I always forget they pricematch everyone, even online ads. Derp.

Right click Folder > Properties > Location > Move

Whoops, didn't create a new folder on my storage HD so it thinks the drive itself is the library folder now. Restore settings doesn't put it back on C, neither does deleting and remaking.

I can just delete it as a location, but is there another way to sort it? It will drive me mental if the libraries aren't all in the same place properly.

scogoth

Whoops, didn't create a new folder on my storage HD so it thinks the drive itself is the library folder now. Restore settings doesn't put it back on C, neither does deleting and remaking.

I can just delete it as a location, but is there another way to sort it? It will drive me mental if the libraries aren't all in the same place properly.

Right click SSD> Properties > Location > Move

Should be same thing

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Pics or it didn't happen ;)

Regarding the Microcenter thing, I found the CPU for a little cheaper so just went with it instead of burdening someone and all that. I appreciate the willingness to help though. I will be taking the obligatory lineup shots once I have all the main parts in my arsenal, you can bet on that.

fader

okay so I decided to "Nut up" and go beyond my budget by like over $100
basically i am going to use this to play game like Skyrim at near high levels with custom addons and such.
Also will be playing PS2 emulators also. and I wont be doing any video editing.

So... how is it?

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R $44
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz $220
HDD: OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G $50
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 $110
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 $29
GPU: HIS H785F2G2M Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 $190
Disc Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner $20
Power Supply: Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply $38

TOTAL: $707.92

aristotle

basically i am going to use this to play game like Skyrim at near high levels with custom addons and such.

So... how is it?

If you have a microcenter close or a fry's (and you hurry), the i7 3770k CPU is only $10 more.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/388575/Core_i7_3770K_35GHz_LGA_1155_Processor

MB is only $20 more.

Microcenter

Update:

USB front panel is now working. Onboard sound still cuts out via hdmi and I get no audio whatsoever from the stereo output on the rear panel.

The 'starting Windows' still freezes for a moment, turns purple then goes to desktop.

Koroviev

If you have a microcenter close or a fry's (and you hurry), the i7 3770k CPU is only $10 more.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/388575/Core_i7_3770K_35GHz_LGA_1155_Processor

MB is only $20 more.

Microcenter

Wow, that price is amazing! I would totally get in on that if I didn't already have a 3570k.

So... how is it?

I would grab that 128GB Vertex from LiquidMetal for $70. 60GB drives are slow and simply don't provide enough headroom once the OS has been installed.

Zeth

Any mouse opinions re: CM Storm Spawn vs Logitech G500? Looking in that price range, maybe a bit higher. edit: Should I care about laser vs optical? I'm not a competitive player or anything, just need a new one.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
CROSS POST - I have to work now but please PM me if interested

I'm putting this up now as I just got an offer for a slightly more expensive 256gb Samsung Pro.

Selling my current and really good Vertex 4 SSD 128gb with the latest FW, 90 shipped. This is a 130USD SSD that I've only had for a little over a month. Not a lot of wear and I always keep it at over 90GB full. Have the box, 3.5" bay adapter and everything in the box. Shoot me a PM as I asked two other friends but whoever answers first will get it.

I have lowered this to 70 shipped.

70 SHIPPED.

AS SSD benchmark. Bare in mind this is not far away from the score the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB drive gets.

asssdsaukt.png

Koroviev

Any mouse opinions re: CM Storm Spawn vs Logitech G500? Looking in that price range, maybe a bit higher. edit: Should I care about laser vs optical? I'm not a competitive player or anything, just need a new one.

I'm currently using the Xornet and it's working great for me. Exceptionally responsive and easy to use. Made me realize how lacking most mice are in the ergonomics department (i.e., designed in such a way that your ring finger is left floating there with no support).

Update:

USB front panel is now working. Onboard sound still cuts out via hdmi and I get no audio whatsoever from the stereo output on the rear panel.

The 'starting Windows' still freezes for a moment, turns purple then goes to desktop.

Does the Realtek software recognize when something is plugged in using its jack-detection? Double check in BIOS and make sure its set for HD Audio and not AC97. Check Sound, video and game controllers in device manager, how many ATI High Def items is it listing?

n0n44m

I tried that and it wouldn't work unless I re did the loop.... too much work.

the nice thing about the DGX is that it is only half-height, and cheap as well. Else I would've thought about getting a STX or something

Why 2x4GB of RAM and not a single 8GB stick?

1155 CPUs have dual channel memory, so they require two/four sticks

2011 CPUs are quad, so four or eight sticks

Zeth

I'm currently using the Xornet and it's working great for me. Exceptionally responsive and easy to use. Made me realize how lacking most mice are in the ergonomics department (i.e., designed in such a way that your ring finger is left floating there with no support).

That ring-finger thing sounds really good to me. Xornet family mice are at the top of my list I think. I've gone through a handful of Logitech's over the years and none of them ever wow'd me. And they seem to have retained similar ergonomics, so I'll probably change it up this time.

fader

Wow, that price is amazing! I would totally get in on that if I didn't already have a 3570k.

I would grab that 128GB Vertex from LiquidMetal for $70. 60GB drives are slow and simply don't provide enough headroom once the OS has been installed.

alright tnx. I never touched a SSD before so im glad you dropped that info. anymore critiques?

Dave_6

Ugh, wish there was a Microcenter close to me as I would jump all over that 3770K :/ I haven't bought a CPU yet and was planning on getting a 3570K, but to get an i7 for the same price would be great.

Does the Realtek software recognize when something is plugged in using its jack-detection? Double check in BIOS and make sure its set for HD Audio and not AC97. Check Sound, video and game controllers in device manager, how many ATI High Def items is it listing?

I haven't been able to reinstall the Realtek software for a few hours. I do have Windows drivers, however. I've removed the front panel HD audio entirely and have tried simply getting sound through the onboard basic audio (green jack) with two sets of headphones and some speakers and I get nothing.

Also, Windows is 'hanging' at the 'starting Windows' screen. The Windows logo spins around for a moment, freezes, then flashes purple for a moment before going to the desktop. Do you have any idea what kind of problem that is?

EDIT: Out of curiosity, is there any reason why sound would work absolutely fine with games and that 'Wildlife in HD' video and nothing else?

Alright NG, help me. I have my build ready. I have all parts picked out. Except the CPU and GPU. The GPU isn't really an issue since I'm just waiting for the GeForce Titan to be announced and see how powerful it is. My issue is the CPU. I had opted for a Core i7 3770K. Money isn't an issue but I won't say no to saving a few bucks. I'm a PC gamer and I like things to run well if not optimal. Is the 3770k worth it or should I just stick with a 3570K?

Any input from owners will be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom