• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Whats a more well rounded upgrade

A 3570k to a 3770k

or

A 3570k to a 4670K?

Neither. Minimal performance gains for gaming. Slightly better performance gains going from the i5 to the i7 if you're using multithreaded software like video rendering.

If you have a 3570K now, just keep it for a couple years.

Xdrive05

how do you overclock the 7950? I'm only just managing minecraft at 60fps on the rift mod with AA and I'd like to see if I can push the framerate up a bit so it never drops below 60. I have a gigabyte 7950 running vanilla at the moment

I use Evga Afterburner, which has an "unlock voltage" toggle in the options. And use GPU-Z to monitor your true voltage, and to monitor your vram temperatures. Your gigabyte may be voltage locked, however, especially if it was manufactured more recently.

But even with locked voltage you should still hit 1000-1100, depending on the card.

scottzorus

Neo Member
Really want to build a computer but will wait for Haswell. I was hoping the Nvidia 7 series gpu's would have more vram, would it be safe to build a Haswell build and wait for the third party 7 series/8 series without being left behind, or would it be recommended to buy all at once?

Hellish

8759344291_03d5df13cd_z.jpg

kennah

Really want to build a computer but will wait for Haswell. I was hoping the Nvidia 7 series gpu's would have more vram, would it be safe to build a Haswell build and wait for the third party 7 series/8 series without being left behind, or would it be recommended to buy all at once?
I feel it is more recommended to build slow and keep an eye out for deals. My current computer started last August and I'll be surprised if it is done by July.

Any new Socket 2011 boards on the horizon or is what we got what we are getting?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
My gpu is busted. Overheating within minutes of turning pc on :(

I know there are new cards coming soon but I don't expect to be spending a lot on a new card. I have a gtx 460 and that has done fine for me for what I game with. Sucks to not have use of pc right now lol.

Guess ill need to read up on this thread again from last few pages to catch up.

Xdrive05

My gpu is busted. Overheating within minutes of turning pc on :(

I know there are new cards coming soon but I don't expect to be spending a lot on a new card. I have a gtx 460 and that has done fine for me for what I game with. Sucks to not have use of pc right now lol.

Guess ill need to read up on this thread again from last few pages to catch up.

Have you checked the heatsink and fan(s)? If it came loose it may be fixable.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Have you checked the heatsink and fan(s)? If it came loose it may be fixable.

One of the fans came loose while I was messing around with it today but I put it back on and still having the issues. Afterburner shows its running at 70% speed but I can visually see that is probably not correct. Its been a problem I been having for awhile but usually a pc reset would fix the issue.

I've repasted the thermal paste so that isn't the issue

squicken

This is a bummer. My USB ports are flaking out on my Z68/2500k. I have no idea if it is the CPU or motherboard, but I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard. A few months ago the USB 3 ports started reporting over-voltage errors, and now the USB2 ports are constantly discovering new hardware that has been plugged in for months

I had no intention of upgrading any PC part, but now seems like I may have to. If I get an Ivy Bridge motherboard I'm at an upgrade dead end, but Haswell would require me buying a new CPU. Lame. I hope Haswell shows something cool that makes it worth it. My 2500k overclocks like a champ, which of course might be why the board is now failing on me

Smokey

This is a bummer. My USB ports are flaking out on my Z68/2500k. I have no idea if it is the CPU or motherboard, but I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard. A few months ago the USB 3 ports started reporting over-voltage errors, and now the USB2 ports are constantly discovering new hardware that has been plugged in for months

I had no intention of upgrading any PC part, but now seems like I may have to. If I get an Ivy Bridge motherboard I'm at an upgrade dead end, but Haswell would require me buying a new CPU. Lame. I hope Haswell shows something cool that makes it worth it. My 2500k overclocks like a champ, which of course might be why the board is now failing on me

RMA the board

Candeez

Y U NO HAV Fractal Design Nodal 304?

ChsE4Kw.jpg

kvp2RWY.jpg

O92MHgG.jpg

vSJjHk1.jpg

Funny, I just did a build over the weekend using the Fractal Design Node 304.

I'll get pics up as soon as I can, but so far it's a dream box. Small, fast, silent, cool.

Specs:

GA-z77n-wifi mobo
i5-3570
Asus GTX-670
8gigs RAM
120GB intel ssd 520 primary
100 GB Kingston ssd secondary
3TB seagate USB 3.0 external

Using Gigabit ethernet in-house wiring instead of wifi
Hooked up to Panny 54 inch Plasma, Xbox 360 wireless controller for games that support it.
Audio is hdmi out from gtx-670 to pioneer dolby pliiz receiver, 7.1 (height speakers for awesome rain/helicopter/ambient noise)

kennah

Funny, I just did a build over the weekend using the Fractal Design Node 304.

I'll get pics up as soon as I can, but so far it's a dream box. Small, fast, silent, cool.

Specs:

GA-z77n-wifi mobo
i5-3570
Asus GTX-670
8gigs RAM
120GB intel ssd 520 primary
100 GB Kingston ssd secondary
3TB seagate USB 3.0 external

Using Gigabit ethernet in-house wiring instead of wifi
Hooked up to Panny 54 inch Plasma, Xbox 360 wireless controller for games that support it.
Audio is hdmi out from gtx-670 to pioneer dolby pliiz receiver, 7.1 (height speakers for awesome rain/helicopter/ambient noise)

Solid. Can't wait for pics.

Asturie

I've had nothing but trouble with my USB 3 ports on my Z68 board. Can only get them to work after disabling the controller and re-enabling it with a device plugged in. And even then speed is about half of what it should be.

Smokey

My backup PC is in even worse shape. Would be without a PC at home for up to 4 weeks. Just really can't do that

I have an ASUS P8P67 board...it's pretty old but your 2500k will still work until you can find something else. It's been boxed up for a while, if you want it I can send it to you. TexansGAF bros have to look out for each other.

squicken

I have an ASUS P8P67 board...it's pretty old but your 2500k will still work until you can find something esle. It's been boxed up for a while, if you want it I can send it to you.

Thanks Smokey I'll let you know. I think I'll run it by Microcenter and see if they can test it. They are so much cheaper than Amazon/Newegg that it won't be too bad if I have to upgrade

dazzgc

Banned
Hi guys, what's a good I7 cup to get that won't bottleneck my intended gtx 680 purchase? I want them to sync well together not have one bottleneck the other. I also probably want to future proof the cpu more than the gpu

Any of the cases in the OP, or recent are all very solid. Take a look at the dimensions of the XL and see if you really need it. The regular Shinobi is a great case and smaller.

Yeah I think I'm gonna switch to the regular Shinobi

Features above the $130 pricepoint are 'sweets'. Extra power regulation for overclocking, more PCI-E lane bandwidth, more USB 3.0 ports, better onboard audio, BIOS reset buttons, pretty colors, etc.

K. Is the Extreme 6 a solid choice? Is there anything I'm gonna regret missing out on with that board? I saw that the MPower has the "easy OC" switch and built-in wifi....

3570K is on a dead socket. Haswell is literally 2 weeks away. 5% boost, but main thing is it might OC to the moon and have a better drop in upgrade.

I just don't see the benefit. I'm not going to be upgrading my CPU within two years anyway and I'm not likely to OC my current chip to any wild extremes because I'm not gonna invest in the cooling to do it.

Again, waiting 2-3 weeks for GTX 770 would be a good idea here

I guess it can't hurt to wait, but isn't the 770 a rebranded/upclocked 680? If so it's going to come in a bit above what I want to pay anyway, I imagine.

Or is this a thing where I should wait because maybe the current card prices will drop?

BUY THE ASUS 144HZ PANEL!!!! DO IT.

Which one is that?

Ocho

Hey guys,

So today I got an Asus 144hz monitor. Before today, all my games were working fine, no crashes or anything like that. However, since I plugged this monitor, when I play some games, my computer completely crashes (and reboots). No blue screen. If I play LoL, it works fine. Also played EVE with no issues. I'm having trouble running CSGO and BF3. So, what is my computer not working with this new monitor? Any hits? I really don't think it's a ram problem because there's no bluescreen. Overheat?

EDIT: After further testing, if I have the monitor connected (but disabled - not in use), PC crashes. If I disconnect it, game works fine. I have my PC overclocked, could that be it?

EDIT2: Basically, having the monitor connected running or not running is crashing my computer when gaming.

I just don't see the benefit. I'm not going to be upgrading my CPU within two years anyway and I'm not likely to OC my current chip to any wild extremes because I'm not gonna invest in the cooling to do it.

Well the hope is that you will not need crazy cooling to do so, just an aftermarket air cooler. You seem like a man who has already weighed the options there though so not gonna preach to you about it. May be better off even though it is only a few weeks off since who knows if first adopters will suffer something similar to what happened with the first sandy bridge motherboards.

Demon Ice

Banned
There's a quad core on LGA 2011 that is cheaper than the 3770K. 3820 is the best bang for the buck in the processor world. 5.0GHz overclock? Why not.

Was wondering if that was overclockable at all since it didn't have the "K" in the name, is it actually unlocked too? I thought you could only OC unlocked K processors.

Ty4on

Just found this kind of funny.

I use afterburner for a custom fan profile because I have a blower 7870. The stock fan profile seems to be made by people who didn't realize that full fan speed is really high which means the fan can easily stay at 50-60 and cool keep the GPU core at 80C while under full load. 100% fan speed is like 6000RPM so I've only set it to ramp up to 100% if temps go much above 80C.

Anyway the problem with a custom fan profile and an AMD card is that pretty much every time I start the computer fan speed ramps up to 50% and I have to open afterburner (happens if I have started it as well) and mess with the fan till it goes back to normal fan speed. Don't know if it was me or afterburner, but I did that and it went to a constant 25%. It works in an odd way so that up to like 20% "fan speed" it is a constant 1100ish RPM so it's basically idle speed (30% is stock idle speed). The I started gaming a somewhat demanding game and suddenly noticed the GPU flicked into 100% fan speed and realized what was going on. Wonder what the GPU's fail safes are, but it is nice to know one very audible warning :p

Here's a funny pic of the situation. Right after that the temp peaked at 102C. You can see where the fan curve goes up and slowly comes down that I managed to get it back into auto fan speed.
gSD7KZw.png

It's also really interesting to see how efficient 25% fan speed is to cool a 100C card idling. I have set the fan profile so that it can reach 60C untill it hits the lowers fan speed possible with the stock fan profile. For less GPU intensive stuff (like the game I was playing without supersampling or videos) or in a different profile where I've underclocked the GPU the difference is day and night as the stock profile keeps ramping up and down while mine is dead silent. Should be noted the GPU hasn't suffered any noticeable damage, but I think TJmax is 105 this was like 3 seconds ^^

Smash88

Banned
Was wondering if that was overclockable at all since it didn't have the "K" in the name, is it actually unlocked too? I thought you could only OC unlocked K processors.

It's not unlocked, but it has some OC potential. From various sites a stable 4.8ghz OC was common.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I've been storing all of my Steam games on a portable 1TB hard drive using Steam Mover. When I get my PC up and running, will I be able to just copy them all from the external? It would take days to download everything again on my crappy connection.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I've been storing all of my Steam games on a portable 1TB hard drive using Steam Mover. When I get my PC up and running, will I be able to just copy them all from the external? It would take days to download everything again on my crappy connection.

Install Steam, copy across the game files to the SteamApps folder. You might then have to go into Steam itself and "install" each game to make it appear in the Installed list, which is a drag, but far faster than actually downloading everything again.

If you're going to install Steam to C: and the games to D:, download one game first to create a new, linked SteamLibrary folder on D:, like so:

steaminstallxdjzj.png

Then copy the games across to this new folder.

Well the hope is that you will not need crazy cooling to do so, just an aftermarket air cooler.

Well, what level are we talking about? I'm not planning on enthusiast overclocking here, exactly, so I figured I'd play it pretty conservative until I got comfortable. If Haswell pushes up the limit on what serious OCing can do, it's not going to do much for me. On the other hand, if it significantly improves what you can accomplish with basic cooling and simple tweaks, it'd be worth waiting for.

To a pretty big degree I'm not really looking to max performance here, just get a good value for my money. If I have to wait three months to do a build just waiting for Haswell to shake out on the marketplace it's probably not worth it to me.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Install Steam, copy across the game files to the SteamApps folder. You might then have to go into Steam itself and "install" each game to make it appear in the Installed list, which is a drag, but far faster than actually downloading everything again.

Excellent, thanks. I'll be putting everything together right before I have 4 days off, so I'm glad my break won't be wasted waiting for everything to download.

Looks like Friday is going to be my big day. I'm having a buddy over who has built a couple rigs already to help me put everything together, since I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Well, what level are we talking about? I'm not planning on enthusiast overclocking here, exactly, so I figured I'd play it pretty conservative until I got comfortable. If Haswell pushes up the limit on what serious OCing can do, it's not going to do much for me. On the other hand, if it significantly improves what you can accomplish with basic cooling and simple tweaks, it'd be worth waiting for.

To a pretty big degree I'm not really looking to max performance here, just get a good value for my money. If I have to wait three months to do a build just waiting for Haswell to shake out on the marketplace it's probably not worth it to me.

No one really knows for sure just yet. The hope is that it will be more like sandy, in that you can just slap an aftermarket hsf on it and shoot it to the moon consistently.

Honestly the only reason why I would tell people to wait for it right now is because of how close to launching it is. Most of the time waiting for the next big thing will leave you constantly waiting but two weeks doesn't really put you in that mindset. Unless someone really needs a new computer now there really isn't anything to lose in two weeks. Well...unless next month microcenter decides to just not sell the old cpus at their massive discount anymore.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

It's possible a faulty USB cable or device is causing that. Have you tried not having certain items plugged in?
Hi guys, what's a good I7 cup to get that won't bottleneck my intended gtx 680 purchase? I want them to sync well together not have one bottleneck the other. I also probably want to future proof the cpu more than the gpu
Need info on rest of rig.
What is new? What is your budget?
What do you have now?
K. Is the Extreme 6 a solid choice? Is there anything I'm gonna regret missing out on with that board? I saw that the MPower has the "easy OC" switch and built-in wifi....
  • The MPower is a sexy and solid board... I'll also highly recommend the ASUS ROG boards. A lot of nice features you probably won't use!
  • Same price, 5% faster, less power. People hoping for nice 5Ghz+ easy air OCs. Always good to have options open to you. Investing is a $30 air cooler.
I guess it can't hurt to wait, but isn't the 770 a rebranded/upclocked 680? If so it's going to come in a bit above what I want to pay anyway, I imagine.
  • Probably, but same time period or sooner, so might as well see what happens :)
Or is this a thing where I should wait because maybe the current card prices will drop?
  • Doubtful from the big players, but there will be a nice dump of used card which I don't think you are interested in.
Which one is that?
  • ASUS VG248QE

Fast clock speed is what keeps CPUs relevant as time goes on. For example if you have a 3.8Ghz first gen i5 / i7 you'd still be very set today. More CPU clocks for your money is pretty important.
OC results are generally pretty spread out. We'll see how it does. Hopes are high.
Hey guys,

So today I got an Asus 144hz monitor. Before today, all my games were working fine, no crashes or anything like that. However, since I plugged this monitor, when I play some games, my computer completely crashes (and reboots). No blue screen. If I play LoL, it works fine. Also played EVE with no issues. I'm having trouble running CSGO and BF3. So, what is my computer not working with this new monitor? Any hits? I really don't think it's a ram problem because there's no bluescreen. Overheat?

EDIT: After further testing, if I have the monitor connected (but disabled - not in use), PC crashes. If I disconnect it, game works fine. I have my PC overclocked, could that be it?

EDIT2: Basically, having the monitor connected running or not running is crashing my computer when gaming.
I poked quickly around and didn't see anything specific, so...

Temps in check?
Cable secure? Is it a good quality DP cable?
Have you updated your Drivers?
Check if your OC is stable recently?

Sorry you are having issues.

Haswell's only hope is either a huge performance-per-clock boost or absurd overclocks. I don't think this is breaking NDA or anything but the processor's packaging definitely emphasises the big improvement in graphical performance.

kharma45

Haswell's only hope is either a huge performance-per-clock boost or absurd overclocks. I don't think this is breaking NDA or anything but the processor's packaging definitely emphasises the big improvement in graphical performance.

It won't be the former so we're hoping it's the latter.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Looking at 5% performance per clock boost, a nice big leap for onboard GPU (Important, but I don't care personally), possibly really high OCs.
new video card in europe: now, after summer or after christmass? i can wait if there are reason to do it
Need more info

duppolo

i will rebuilt a whole pc, but now its y birthday and i can ask only for a video card.
my pc is this
CoolerMaster RC690 Nero ( RC-690-KKN1-GP ) 74,00€
Corsair HX 520 Watt
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 step G0 Boxed
Asus P5Q Pro ( Chipset Intel P45 )
Ram: 2x2GB Corsair 800MHz DHX C5 ( TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX )

gtx 460

Sistema Operativo: Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit OEM

Ocho

Temps in check?
Cable secure? Is it a good quality DP cable?
Have you updated your Drivers?
Check if your OC is stable recently?

Sorry you are having issues.

My OC has been stable for a couple of months now. Temps are the same. I've continued testing and no luck so far. I reinstalled nvidia drivers. Updated to beta drivers. If I remove my OC, I can play the game, but if I do some kind of multitasking (like Chrome), it crashes. That's as close as I've gotten. Ran memtest and nothing.

What could be related to my OC being removed that it lets me game, but if I multitask and other things, computer instantly crashes? Not enough juice?

kennah

i will rebuilt a whole pc, but now its y birthday and i can ask only for a video card.
my pc is this
CoolerMaster RC690 Nero ( RC-690-KKN1-GP ) 74,00€
Corsair HX 520 Watt
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 step G0 Boxed
Asus P5Q Pro ( Chipset Intel P45 )
Ram: 2x2GB Corsair 800MHz DHX C5 ( TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX )

gtx 460

Sistema Operativo: Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit OEM

You are going to be severely limited by your CPU. You could wait a couple weeks and get a 760, but really even a 660 or 7850 would be huge performance increases for you. Anything you get will be hampered by your CPU though :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom