• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjay

You should scrap it all and go Intel, investing in a dead horse, or replace the mobo with a 2nd hand one off ebay for 15/20 quid and save up for a good Intel baby.

kharma45

I don't really want to spend too much more, i just need something to tide me over the sumer drought until next gen hits tbh. Would you guys suggest just upgrading the GPU then?

Yeah. You're throwing money at an extremely limited system though.

Hey all,

Since I really am new to this haswell stuff, can any type of RAM be used between different style mobo's and CPU's?

Thinking of grabbing this and want to know its a good start for my build without blocking out Haswell capability.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...1-L05D&AID=10657534&PID=749547&SID=rfdcb-d725

It'd work fine with Haswell. I'd look at this lower profile stuff though http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc..._-Corsair-_-20233280&AID=10592396&PID=3938566

duppolo

You are going to be severely limited by your CPU. You could wait a couple weeks and get a 760, but really even a 660 or 7850 would be huge performance increases for you. Anything you get will be hampered by your CPU though :(

tnx. how much should i spend to improve my cpu? should i have to improve my ram also?

kharma45

The only place realistically you could go with changing it would be to something more modern like IB or Haswell, and that would require money spent on a new motherboard and RAM too.

duppolo

now its not very much, but i think that this christmass i could rebuild a new pc from 0, if thats the better option. can i save something of my present pc?

CzarTim

How do you guys feel about splurging for a 500GB SSD rather than a 1TB @ 7200RPM? Is the speed/reliability worth it now that PC gaming is 100% off the drive?

Ocho

My computer is crashing while playing some 'intensive' games (mainly CSGO/BF3 - but not LoL [when I removed my OC]) as soon as the game loads (not the menu of the game, the 3d part). Computer restarts, no BSOD or anything like that. I experienced this issue after using my new 144hz monitor this monday, and I thought somehow that monitor was the issue, but the computer is crashing if I dual monitor, only use 144hz monitor, use that same monitor @ 60hz, or use my older 60hz monitor. However, it's extremely coincidental that before using this monitor my games were playing fine.

Temps seem fine, 60ish CPU, low 80s GPU (i have an evga 670 :( ) while gaming. That's how it has been for the past year. I hae a 750w PSU.

I was crashing while playing LoL until I removed my 4.5 OC to my 3570k. Ran memtest and there were no issues.

So basically it has come down to three (edit) things: my gpu is now failing and either overheats or crashes somehow, my PSU is lacking power for some reason, or my CPU is overheating/not enough power (I concluded this because when I removed the OC I could play LoL without crashing). What is the best way to test these things? Once again, temps seem fine before it crashes.

Thanks.

bro1

Banned
How do you guys feel about splurging for a 500GB SSD rather than a 1TB @ 7200RPM? Is the speed/reliability worth it now that PC gaming is 100% off the drive?

That's a huge splurge with very little ROI. Get a smaller one and spend the money elsewhere. Hell, I have a 128 SSD and get along fine with it as my only drive. Then again, I have 50mbs internet so that helps.

bro1

Banned
My computer is crashing while playing some 'intensive' games (mainly CSGO/BF3 - but not LoL [when I removed my OC]) as soon as the game loads (not the menu of the game, the 3d part). Computer restarts, no BSOD or anything like that. I experienced this issue after using my new 144hz monitor this monday, and I thought somehow that monitor was the issue, but the computer is crashing if I dual monitor, only use 144hz monitor, use that same monitor @ 60hz, or use my older 60hz monitor. However, it's extremely coincidental that before using this monitor my games were playing fine.

Temps seem fine, 60ish CPU, low 80s GPU (i have an evga 670 :( ) while gaming. That's how it has been for the past year. I hae a 750w PSU.

I was crashing while playing LoL until I removed my 4.5 OC to my 3570k. Ran memtest and there were no issues.

So basically it has come down to three (edit) things: my gpu is now failing and either overheats or crashes somehow, my PSU is lacking power for some reason, or my CPU is overheating/not enough power (I concluded this because when I removed the OC I could play LoL without crashing). What is the best way to test these things? Once again, temps seem fine before it crashes.

Thanks.

Is that a stock cooler on your 670? My windforce rarely goes about 60c. Turn off the OC and test a new PSU. If it still fails then it's your GPU.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Heading out to Microcenter in a few. Hoping they have that $229 3820 hidden somewhere, or at the very least, have a date for when they expect more. Cross your fingers for me, please!

kharma45

So apparently this is when Dabs in the UK will be taking orders for Haswell

947335_10151391004816650_450564440_n.jpg

scogoth

Thanks.

=( sorry that I haven't been ok bf3 at all, hope norua is still around.

Check the windows event viewer in system and application logs to see if there is anything logge at the time of the crash. Set everything back to stock and try the latest WHQL drivers not beta. You have more than enough power and your not over heating anything. You can also try and run EVGAs OC scanner to check for any artifacts (indicating GPU memory errors). Doesn't sound like a major hardware error to me because usually when hardware fails is pretty catastrophi and stops working all together.

If you can't figure it out in the next while ill be back may 31st so I can hop on mumble and help troubleshoot. Or maybe I can volunteer mkenyon to help you

Candeez

So I just bought a gtx-670 for $368, not knowing that the 700 series launches tommorow. Been looking at reports of the gtx-780, and it's apparently as performant as the Titan minus 3gb VRAM, and priced at $650 - $700.

What do you guys think? Is the difference between the 670 and 780 worth the $$$? I'm gaming on a 1080p plasma, so 1920x1080 will be the standard res.

References:

http://n4g.com/news/1262419/nvidia-...formance-revealed-almost-as-fast-as-gtx-titan

http://www.techpowerup.com/184311/geforce-gtx-780-pricing-revealed.html

kharma45

For 1080p the 670 is more than adequate. I wouldn't pay twice the price almost for a 780 for 1080p, but that's me probably being tight. See what price the 770 comes in at, might be worth DSRing your 670 if it is competitively done.

I have a GTX 680 and I've heard some musings about being able to upgrade to a GTX 770 with a bios update. Can anyone elaborate on this? And is there any performance advantage to doing so?

suppose I do this, and then later I buy an *actual* GTX 770. Will I be able to SLI them?

So I just bought a gtx-670 for $368, not knowing that the 700 series launches tommorow. Been looking at reports of the gtx-780, and it's apparently as performant as the Titan minus 3gb VRAM, and priced at $650 - $700.

My 670 crushes anything at 1080. You're golden for awhile.

mkenyon

Banned
I have a GTX 680 and I've heard some musings about being able to upgrade to a GTX 770 with a bios update. Can anyone elaborate on this? And is there any performance advantage to doing so?

suppose I do this, and then later I buy an *actual* GTX 770. Will I be able to SLI them?
It's just theory at this point. No one has done it.

haha finally decided to buy pc parts yesterday. Oddly enough it was after xbox thing :p

z77
coolmaster 212 plus
16gb ripjaws ram

16 bucks reward points. total $493

I'll get my next gen systems a bit later, thanks.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Heading out to Microcenter in a few. Hoping they have that $229 3820 hidden somewhere, or at the very least, have a date for when they expect more. Cross your fingers for me, please!

Drats! Sold out.

HOWEVER... the guy was super friendly. Said there were more in the warehouse that he expects to arrive in-store on Friday. He took my name and number and said he'd call me if they did. Awesome. Hoping for the best.

Smokey

haha finally decided to buy pc parts yesterday. Oddly enough it was after xbox thing :p

z77
coolmaster 212 plus
16gb ripjaws ram

16 bucks reward points. total $493

I'll get my next gen systems a bit later, thanks.

You're already in next gen+ after your purchases bruh congrats

Smokey

Drats! Sold out.

HOWEVER... the guy was super friendly. Said there were more in the warehouse that he expects to arrive in-store on Friday. He took my name and number and said he'd call me if they did. Awesome. Hoping for the best.

If not let me know and maybe I can scoop one for you and send it your way. My microcenter has 10+

Skel1ingt0n

If not let me know and maybe I can scoop one for you and send it your way. My microcenter has 10+

Oh really? Awesome; thanks. :) I'll hold out till that Friday shipment and hope for the best - dude seemed pretty confident. But if it falls through, I'll shoot you a PM.

Smokey

Oh really? Awesome; thanks. :) I'll hold out till that Friday shipment and hope for the best - dude seemed pretty confident. But if it falls through, I'll shoot you a PM.

No prob, just let me know. I've done it before for another gaffer regarding a mobo and cpu. MC is 2 minutes away from work. I can pick it up over break and continue on my way for some food.

MedIC86

I thought a site confirmed this to be wrong, it was just a modded bios where they oc'd it a bit and changed the name.

scogoth

Best GAF is best. Kennah who'd you pay it forward too? It's their turn to pay it forward

Also I has fans and accessories at home so in the next ten days or so I'll be posting some stuff.

ss_lemonade

Looks like a review for the 780 has been leaked. Comes pretty close to the titan, though I'm still not sure I'm willing to part with $650

Skel1ingt0n

16GB (4x4) of red Corsair Vengeance 2133 RAM ordered!

3sq feet of 3M Matte Black Vinyl ordered!

I need to get some actual work done...

Sober

Whew! Been looking to get a new PC for a while now and spent the last few days throwing together a list for one. Went ahead and used your guide in the OP, Hazaro, since I am a huge noob when it comes to most of this stuff (was aiming for the excellent "Excellent" build. I don't mind spending between 1000-1500 CAD, but not much more than that). I'm planning on having NCIX actually build it (don't laugh!) and here's what I have picked out:

------

-snip-

Any thoughts? Hopefully someone can take quick a look and see if I've made any glaring compatibility mistakes!
Any reasons you don't want to try building it yourself? I think it is a fantastic experience if you are willing to give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom