• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Banned
I know what you're saying. The 3820 gets overlooked often because of what you just said. In this case it happens to be on 2011, is cheaper than the 3770k/4770k, and is really OCable. The Titan is great but if you dropped it down to a 680/780 that would free up some funds for the 3930k. Whether you think you'd use a hex core to it's full potential or not, when you reach 4k on a PC practicality has already been thrown out of the window. You would have a bit more of a balanced high end machine if you went that route and lowered the GPU option to "only" a 680/780. If you ever felt the need to upgrade, GPUs are easy to resale. I sold my 580s earlier this week.

Only reason I'm banging on this is because everything else in your machine is top end stuff. Even down to the Das keyboard. The CPU deal is really the only thing that jumps out at me.

Fair points.

You've given me some things to think about. I'm going to consider the price of the GTX 780 vs. Titan, then look at some game benchmarks between 3770k and 3930k. As well, if I were to go 2011, I would just wait for the 4930k to come out by that point. So I would be waiting another 3 months. Also I feel that going 2011 would only be needed if I do video editing/streaming or something of the sort - going with the 2011 would be moot as any potential increase a hexa-core CPU would give me is a waste; if this was a video editing/gaming/etc. build then I would agree, but like I said I have to see how things go. I understand your point about the price of the build itself being so high, I might as well go with the 2011 socket, but for me the change of CPU for a weaker GPU, when the difference in games from a 2011 vs. 1150 will be non-existent, whereas the difference between a better GPU is indeed noticeable especially at 1440p.

All this waiting makes me anxious - especially since I've been waiting since the 3770k release.

I guess I have 2-3 weeks to think about things.

DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO PLAY AT 20FPS in Battlefield 3 @ 1920x1080? D:

EDIT: Also sorry for the poor sentence structure. I'm adding in my thoughts/ideas as they come across, so things may seem jumbled. :D

Smash88

Banned
Yes yes the true power of my new gpu will be seen in my impressive Minecraft FPS reports in the coming weeks.

Don't worry the first thing I'm doing is going to do is post a 1024x768 Faster Than Light screenshots - and then continue to play League of Legends and Binding of Isaac with the $4000 system. With it's blazing fast frames.

Also I demand excel spreadsheets of your Minecraft endeavor.

kharma45

Might we need to think again on the Z77 Extreme4 being the default choice for motherboards?

Looking around it appears to have these issues

• Low-quality D-PAK MOSFETs, which have a tendency to overheat and wear out with high overvolts
  • Claiming to have a digital VRM which is actually analogue
  • Under-reports voltage, which can be very dangerous for your CPU
  • Looks like an 8-phase VRM on top, but they actually parallel them in pairs so it's only 4-phase.

More info http://www.overclock.net/t/1333812/asrock-z77-extreme4-z77-extreme6-review

Not that it is a bad board just that maybe something like the Biostar TZ77XE3/4, MSI Z77A-GD55 and Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H (which has even been used to overclock to 7.03 GHz on LN2).

Thoughts?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Might we need to think again on the Z77 Extreme4 being the default choice for motherboards?

• Low-quality D-PAK MOSFETs, which have a tendency to overheat and wear out with high overvolts
  • Looks like an 8-phase VRM on top, but they actually parallel them in pairs so it's only 4-phase.

More info http://www.overclock.net/t/1333812/asrock-z77-extreme4-z77-extreme6-review

Not that it is a bad board just that maybe something like the Biostar TZ77XE3/4, MSI Z77A-GD55 and Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H (which has even been used to overclock to 7.03 GHz on LN2).

Thoughts?

I would like to know more as well, since this is the mother board I am supposed to order.

musicjunkie

Neo Member

If I don't plan to OC my CPU would any of this matter to me? Just curious.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
There's a quad core on LGA 2011 that is cheaper than the 3770K. 3820 is the best bang for the buck in the processor world. 5.0GHz overclock? Why not.

Then should I go with the 3820? I don't mind spending a bit more on the mobo - was gonna get a decent one, anyway.

I'd love to have the option to bump up to a 6-core in the next year or so if next-gen games perform better. But I keep hearing that 2011 is a waste for gaming - which I guess it is - but for a few dollars more... why not?

Madouu

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a new GPU as I'm looking for a bit more performance in my games. I'm still satisfied with the current rig I built more than two years ago but could use a little extra punch. Current build:

CPU: i5-760 OC'd to 3.8 Ghz
Mobo: P7P55D-E PRO
PSU: Corsair TX 750W
RAM: G.Skill 2*4GB @ 1600
Heatsink/fan: Coolermaster hyper 212+
Graphic card: GTX 460 1GB.

Additional notes: I do most of my gaming at 1080p and I'm not particularly looking into building a new tower yet. I think I can squeeze out a bit more out of my CPU too as it's running very stable right now. Probably two years from now would be when I'm expecting to build a new rig.

Right now I'm looking at this: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=68593&vpn=FX795ATNFC&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1079 which fits in my budget for a graphic card.

I'm open to any other alternatives or better deals, also I'm in no hurry! Thanks!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Then should I go with the 3820? I don't mind spending a bit more on the mobo - was gonna get a decent one, anyway.

I'd love to have the option to bump up to a 6-core in the next year or so if next-gen games perform better. But I keep hearing that 2011 is a waste for gaming - which I guess it is - but for a few dollars more... why not?

Yes. I got a Sabertooth x79, lots of bells and whistles. I just upped my game and got a 3930k but a 3820 is a great CPU compared to any 4 core CPU.

Waste for gaming is never really accurate. A 6 core 3930k is great for multi tasking and thread heavy activity but it's also really setting yourself up for the future. Right now, many things are optimized for lesser cores but you better believe things will start going further into usage of more cores thus utilizing the best CPU's even more.

decon

So I'm thinking about upgrading my HDD to a new SSD, and maybe also the motherboard. Djing, producing music, photoshop, general usage, academic work (text editing, etc.) and programming are the main uses.

My system is a Dell Studio XPS (http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-studio-xps/4505-3118_7-33396858.html) with these specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.67Ghz (bloomfield), LGA1366 Socket
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0R849J A03 with a intel x58 chipset
RAM: 8192MB DDR3, Triple Channel (531mhz, 2:8, 7.0,7,7,20,59,2T)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260
Case: crappy small dell case, I might get a new if I can find a cheap one :)
PSU: Corsair HX520W
HDD: 2x Samsung HD103UJ (Windows is installed on one of these), 1x Western Digital 1,5TB (from ex. hdd where the USB plug broke)

Budget: around 850USD, I live in Denmark so parts are about 25% more expensive. UK prices are more like prices here in DK.
Overclocking: yes please

I want to upgrade as soon as possible. As I've already mentioned, my main concern is the HDD slowing down the system. I need min. 250GB of storage, and use the other hard drives to store all of my 2TBish of music and video files. Are there other parts that I should think about upgrading, like the motherboard, CPU or RAM? I would very much like to overclock, but I'm not sure if the motherboard is right for it... I would rather wait for the new Intel CPUs to come out in June, and then first upgrade the SSD, and maybe the CPU and motherboard if there's any real performance to be found.
No advice gaf :/? My primary concerns are motherboard and CPU as I don't have much knowledge in those areas.

Xdrive05

Wait a week or two for Nvidia's new stuff and see how/if pricing reacts if you're in no rush.

7950 is a good solid card though.

This is good advice. The 7950 is an amazing value. My MSI 7950 boost runs 24/7 at 1150 / 1600, which is like a 45% overclock from the reference stock GPU. And from what I've read almost every unlocked 7950 will do that, with many going to 1250 and higher.

That being said, no point in jumping the gun until you see what the Nv 700 series has to offer, or how it will affect market pricing.

nbthedude

No advice gaf :/? My primary concerns are motherboard and CPU as I don't have much knowledge in those areas.

For performance gains, SSD is the probably the last thing you should upgrade. It's nice to have an SSD. Windows loads extremely fast and it will cut down the load time between areas, but it isn't going to boost your overall performance unless you are concerned about boot times for the OS and software.

As for the processor An i920 can still run most software and games pretty well, especially over clocked. I have an i930 and I still run most games at max settings including demanding stuff like Witcher 2 and Bioshock Infinite. The difference is I have a Radeon OC 7970. The 920 will still become a bottleneck eventually but right now it is your graphics card that is really holding you back.

Look into the 7950 w/ Boost. It's a great value and comes with 3awesome games (Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 3, and Blood Dragon). it will also continue to serve you well down the line when you decide to upgrade the CPU and motherboard.

For example this Sapphire 7950 3GB for $270 is a great deal. You'll have way more VRAM for your applications and a much faster card and 3 new games to toy around with. It's the best bang for the buck upgrade you could do. Sapphire is a good brand. I have the 7970 model and a friend of mine put in this exact model and they both have done us well.

A new graphics card and a new case (so that the graphics card will fit) would be a considerable upgrade and a good longer term investment if/when you decide to upgrade the motherboard and processor.

I ran into a problem this weekend. My computer:

i3 3220
Gigabyte 7750
Shitty 300w power supply

Has been only booting into windows every now and then. It would mainly just not display anything out of the 7750. It finally just would not even attempt to run out of the graphics card. I hooked up the integrated graphics and it would go from the ASRock splash screen into a windows loading screen, then back again over and over.

I tried resetting the bios battery and a reinstalling AMD drivers, but nothing. So this lead me to believe that this was all just a slow death of the 300w power supply the computer came with.

So I ordered a corsair 650w which I will install Wednesday. A few questions:

Does this sound like a power supply issue?
Do you think I've fried my card or mobo? Please say no to that one.
Is it possible to get too big of a power supply, or will it just use what juice it needs at a particular time? I didn't want to upgrade to another supply down the line, so I got one that I believe is good quality and will last power anything I will put in in the future.

HoosTrax

I ran into a problem this weekend. My computer:

i3 3220
Gigabyte 7750
Shitty 300w power supply

Has been only booting into windows every now and then. It would mainly just not display anything out of the 7750. It finally just would not even attempt to run out of the graphics card. I hooked up the integrated graphics and it would go from the ASRock splash screen into a windows loading screen, then back again over and over.

I tried resetting the bios battery and a reinstalling AMD drivers, but nothing. So this lead me to believe that this was all just a slow death of the 300w power supply the computer came with.

So I ordered a corsair 650w which I will install Wednesday. A few questions:

Does this sound like a power supply issue?
Do you think I've fried my card or mobo? Please say no to that one.
Is it possible to get too big of a power supply, or will it just use what juice it needs at a particular time? I didn't want to upgrade to another supply down the line, so I got one that I believe is good quality and will last power anything I will put in in the future.
300W PSU? Is that some generic PSU that came with your case?

There is no such thing as "too big" when it comes to PSU capacity. A one kilowatt PSU doesn't draw one kilowatt from the wall when your system is only pulling 300W. The possible disadvantage is that the really high capacity PSUs can be too large for some cases.

There is an advantage to using a PSU with some headroom, on the other hand -- noise. A PSU working at only 50% capacity is not going to require its cooling fan to spin as quickly as it's capable of.

Yeah I got the computer set up through an independent builder and it was advertised as 330w or 350w, I don't remember. I pulled the thing out and it says 300w on the side. I can't remember the brand, but it wasn't anything I've heard of.

I'm hoping it didn't destroy my other components.

Madouu

Wait a week or two for Nvidia's new stuff and see how/if pricing reacts if you're in no rush.

7950 is a good solid card though.

This is good advice. The 7950 is an amazing value. My MSI 7950 boost runs 24/7 at 1150 / 1600, which is like a 45% overclock from the reference stock GPU. And from what I've read almost every unlocked 7950 will do that, with many going to 1250 and higher.

That being said, no point in jumping the gun until you see what the Nv 700 series has to offer, or how it will affect market pricing.

Thanks again. I'll wait and see then while keeping an eye on the 7950.

legacyzero

Banned
Welp. Time for a new monitor?

Help me GAF, you're my most trusted source. Sure there's monitors in the OP, buy I'm looking at more personal recommendations.

My requirements:

-$350 max
-27 inch give or take
-2 MS response
-good for downsampling
-Should I care about 60 or 120hz?
-I like a decent aesthetic.

Otherwise go wild. What should I buy GAF?

mkenyon

Banned
Welp. Time for a new monitor?

Help me GAF, you're my most trusted source. Sure there's monitors in the OP, buy I'm looking at more personal recommendations.

My requirements:

-$350 max
-27 inch give or take
-2 MS response
-good for downsampling
-Should I care about 60 or 120hz?
-I like a decent aesthetic.

Otherwise go wild. What should I buy GAF?
A 24" 120/144Hz monitor from the OP.

More PCI-E Lanes. Socket 1150/1155 only have 16 PCI-E lanes and use PLX chips to multiply them which introduces latency. 2011 has 48 PCI-E lanes. Plus quad channel.

The only crappy thing about 2011 is that just about every motherboard that isn't ASUS is total crap when it comes to OC'ing the 3820. Go up to the 3930K and your choices increase to ASRock and MSI. Gigabyte and EVGA 2011 boards are all not great. EVGA's in particular are better used as paperweights.

I think Haswell will still be the right choice for the vast majority of gamers. 2011 is more the hardcore enthusiast/tinker socket. Ivy-E chips later on is a nice little bonus.
Also...way to be a bro and go with that 2560x1440 panel. Eat it MK
That's okay. It's like knowing there are more scrubs for me to destroy.

Clott

Here is a question, I am thinking of building a new rig when Haswell comes out, but I won't be upgrading until I can buy a 1-3 TB SSD at a price that is bellow insane, and by insane I am talking 2 grand. How long will I have to wait or do I simply have to bite the bullet when the time comes?

mkenyon

Banned
tl;dr from what I'm reading:

The board doesn't push really high overclocks well. Well, it's not meant to.

The board was listed in there because for a good 5 month span it was available at $95-115 consistently. It's gone up in price a bit, and probably should be reevaluated. But with Haswell less than a month away, kind of a moot point now.

mt1200

I'm done with all my pc's overheating problems.

Back in 2011 I purchased a Xigmatech Dark Knight, but It doesn't fit very well my AM3 CPU, so it works better than the stock cooler, but my cpu can easily hit 70°C ( or 80°C+ if I haven't cleaned my computer) whenever I play any videogames.

I just had to quit one great AOE2HD match because my CPU was burning, the annoying 85C° mobo beep didn't let me focus

What's the VERY BEST AM3 CPU cooler under 100U$ ?.

Self-quoting/answering my own post..

I've read that the Noctua DH-14 does quite a good job, is there anything cheaper and better?

mkenyon

Banned
Are you pushing overclocks hard? If not, it's not mounted properly.

When it comes to AM3 procs, the more you spend on a heatsink, the more you can OC your processor generally. So it's a simple matter of picking out a price point that you are comfortable with.

I think spending $50-100 on a cooler when that could go towards a new mobo and Intel processor is a bad investment though.

kharma45

tl;dr from what I'm reading:

The board doesn't push really high overclocks well. Well, it's not meant to.

The board was listed in there because for a good 5 month span it was available at $95-115 consistently. It's gone up in price a bit, and probably should be reevaluated. But with Haswell less than a month away, kind of a moot point now.

Fair point with Haswell coming, it'll not matter. Hopefully they don't do the same again with their Z87 boards as giving wrong voltage figures is pretty shit.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Thoughts?
Hmm. Those MOSFETs aren't that old. It's nice to know that they have moved on to newer things on higher end mobos.
Dislike them reporting dVRM.
Voltage reporting doesn't seem that big a deal to me (unless I'm missing that this is different to vdroop) *I need to look more at load numbers I think, there's a big ass thread on it. Main guy posting is running 1.4V+ at 4.8Ghz, fwiw. Will keep reading later.
Concerns that the phases are basically working in parallel isn't that big a concern to me because unless you set the BIOS to use all of them at the same time, parallel is probably pretty close to distributing the load nicely.

I'd have to see indepth reviews of other boards in that price range, which I'm sure aren't all cupcakes and rainbows either.
I will say that since the price has relatively gone up, might be a time later to look around for boards, but Haswell is soon.
If I don't plan to OC my CPU would any of this matter to me? Just curious.
Shouldn't be if you use a sane 24/7 voltage and stay under 4.5Ghz

*Oh if you aren't OC'ing? Yeah, doesn't matter really.

kharma45

Hmm. Those MOSFETs aren't that old. It's nice to know that they have moved on to newer things on higher end mobos.
Dislike them reporting dVRM.
Voltage reporting doesn't seem that big a deal to me (unless I'm missing that this is different to vdroop)
Concerns that the phases are basically working in parallel isn't that big a concern to me because unless you set the BIOS to use all of them at the same time, parallel is probably pretty close to distributing the load nicely.

I'd have to see indepth reviews of other boards in that price range, which I'm sure aren't all cupcakes and rainbows either.
I will say that since the price has relatively gone up, might be a time later to look around for boards, but Haswell is soon.

The first three listed all use analogue VRM instead of what the ASRock board is using (those low end doubled 4+1 design with bottom-barrel D-PAK mosfets). The MSI and both Biostars are using true 6+1 phase designs with better (LF-PAK) for the Biostars and even better (DrMOS) for the MSI mosfets.

With regards to voltage from that review
Here is the max CPU overclocks, however 24/7 OC is much lower. On the Z77 Extreme4 you can do a max OC almost as high as that on the Extreme6.
Here you need to take a look at how LLC works on these motherboards, they have the same strength LLC per setting, however CPUz reporting is so much different than real voltage being applied. Look how different the CPUz report and real voltage readouts are! A video is also provided to show you this discrepancy.

LL

mt1200

Are you pushing overclocks hard? If not, it's not mounted properly.

My PC has had that problem since I bought it, first I couldn't use the stock cooler to play anything because it got 70°, I mounted it several times and it always happened.

So I decided to purchase the Dark Knight, only to find out later that it doesn't fit the AM3 socket properly. If you place one in an AM3 CPU, about 1/3 or 1/4 of the CPU's metal plate will remain exposed. It worked way better than the stock cooler though, and I had no money so I decided to leave it.

I can't currently have too much dust on the case because the CPU will still overheat and get past 80°C . I want to buy a proper cooler, so i'm considering the best option that i can get under 100$.

Smash88

Banned
That's okay. It's like knowing there are more scrubs for me to destroy.

I've been destroying scrubs (like you) with a 60Hz monitor for ages. 120Hz will not make an impact when it all comes down to skill. :D

Also the only good thing about 120Hz is a more smoother transition; it doesn't mean much when 60Hz monitors will still allow for me to aim and see people moving, except it won't be "soap-opera smooth". Also I can't do sub-par resolution on a 27" monitor.

Mordeccai

Alright PC GAF two questions.

My desktop has been fucked with by The Old Republic for the past three months. Randomly when playing my monitor will display plaid colored vertical lines and the computer will become unresponsive. If team speak or a music player is running in the background it will still function but there is no alt tabbing out or pulling up the task manager to reset. So I would have to push the restart button to get the computer working again.

SWTOR is the only game to do this to my comp. Hundreds of hours in Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry, witcher 1/2 have done nothing like this.

Well last week the plaid lines happened and I reset. My computer gets to the window 8 splash screen, looks like it loads, and then the screen goes black. Sometimes I get the option to repair my windows with the install disc but that's the only other thing that pops up.

If I reinstall windows, will everything be fixed? I will reinstall SWTOR and give it one more shot but at the next crash I'm done with that game.

Also, my laptop is slow as hell and has a lot of junk on it. Can I slap windows 8 on it as well? Will this make it any faster? And is my install disc tied to one computer or can I have one serial key running on my laptop and desktop

mrklaw

MrArseFace

how do you overclock the 7950? I'm only just managing minecraft at 60fps on the rift mod with AA and I'd like to see if I can push the framerate up a bit so it never drops below 60. I have a gigabyte 7950 running vanilla at the moment

LCGeek

formerly sane
how do you overclock the 7950? I'm only just managing minecraft at 60fps on the rift mod with AA and I'd like to see if I can push the framerate up a bit so it never drops below 60. I have a gigabyte 7950 running vanilla at the moment

A program called TriXX. You might want to google search your gpu card and see if it's not voltage locked.

Anyone got experience shipping from the US to the UK? If so how much do you think it'd cost to ship something like this? Considering buying something from the US spare parts store on principle because the EU branch is more than 3x the price. Beats buying a new case, I've grown to like this one one.

jCIjsWsKH2bmg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom