• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up the HAF XB, 660 Ti FTW Signature 2, Corsair CX600M PSU, and Corsair H60 Water Cooler for this rebuild pictured here.

I love to call this build, "The Hell in a Cell" due to its cube cage like size. LOL!

900x900px-LL-40f1a744_HAFXB4.jpeg

You're already in next gen+ after your purchases bruh congrats

yep! Got a 7870xt and a new case a few months ago, realize that i've been pretty much just upgrading gpu over the past half decade. So in a sense, new pc build, weirdly out of order.

I probably should do a fresh reinstall...

Time to backing stuff up and writing down a list of softwares and all my cd keys for adobe stuff and what not :(

I have been running on this copy of windows 7 (upgraded to 8) for like 3-4 years now, which is impressive. I usually get some virus or something in a few months to a year.

kennah

Best GAF is best. Kennah who'd you pay it forward too? It's their turn to pay it forward

Also I has fans and accessories at home so in the next ten days or so I'll be posting some stuff.
No one took me up on the core 2 duo (which I still have for giveaway)

But I have something big in the works....

WarMacheen

For those of you looking for parts I have these

For Sale

i5 2500k $150

i7 2600k $225

MSI 7970 (Reference) $300 (SOLD)

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB ram (Blue/Orange LED) $50

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 Mother Board $90

Prices include shipping (US Only)

Meteorain

Well I would like to thanks Kharma45 and to a lesser extent Sanjay (but fuck that guy) for helping me with my mono replacement issues.

<3

What is the optimal arrangement of case fans and which direction should they point?

I've got 1 fan mounted on the rear of the case which is currently where the LC attached fan is blowing out. I also have 1 fan mounted on the bottom front of the case which is blowing in. That's it right now. As far as unused fan locations, I believe my case supports:

a) 2 additional fan mounts on the top
b) 1 additional fan mount on the bottom
c) 1 additional fan mount on the front

How many additional fans should I connect for best airflow, and where should I put them / which direction should they flow?

Oublieux

Is it worth to get an SSD when I only have sata 2? Also, if so is there any cheap ssd's that are worth my time?

Yes, it is worth having an SSD even if you have SATA 2. When running synthetic benchmarks, SSD's running on SATA 3 are undoubtedly faster, but when it comes to real world use both are nearly on par (and if there are differences they only amount to 1-3 seconds in real time).

There's an article on Tom's Hardware that goes over this but it is still most definitely worthwhile to get a SSD.

ACE 1991

So for those holding out on upgrades until next gen hits, what do you think will be "the" card to buy if one wants to play next gen games at mostly max settings, 30fps and @1080p? I'm currently rocking an i5 2500k @4.0ghz, 8gb of ram and a 1GB 6950. I'm assuming my CPU still has plenty of life left in it, but I'll definitely need a new GPU soon. I'll be looking to spend around $300.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What is the optimal arrangement of case fans and which direction should they point?

I've got 1 fan mounted on the rear of the case which is currently where the LC attached fan is blowing out. I also have 1 fan mounted on the bottom front of the case which is blowing in. That's it right now. As far as unused fan locations, I believe my case supports:

a) 2 additional fan mounts on the top
b) 1 additional fan mount on the bottom
c) 1 additional fan mount on the front

How many additional fans should I connect for best airflow, and where should I put them / which direction should they flow?
Check the fan info link in op under news.

Rear, side, front, top.

jiffy38

I seem to be having a hard time deciding between an i5 3570k and a i7 3770k for my first gaming pc. Assume I would use a gpu no higher than a gtx 670. To be safe for next gen and play most games at high to highest settings with good frame rates is there a big selling point between the two? I do no video editing and this is purely a gaming pc.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So for those holding out on upgrades until next gen hits, what do you think will be "the" card to buy if one wants to play next gen games at mostly max settings, 30fps and @1080p? I'm currently rocking an i5 2500k @4.0ghz, 8gb of ram and a 1GB 6950. I'm assuming my CPU still has plenty of life left in it, but I'll definitely need a new GPU soon. I'll be looking to spend around $300.
guys, is it better to get 4x4GB ram, or 2x8gb ram, or does it not matter?

for gaming ofc
2x8GB
I seem to be having a hard time deciding between an i5 3570k and a i7 3770k for my first gaming pc. Assume I would use a gpu no higher than a gtx 670. To be safe for next gen and play most games at high to highest settings with good frame rates is there a big selling point between the two? I do no video editing and this is purely a gaming pc.
Haswell i5

HoosTrax

Where would the bottleneck be if I'm seeing a framerate drop when run FRAPS? Is that more of a HDD issue or a video card thing?

Edit: I have a pair of unused VRaptors lying around. I don't want to go to the trouble of installing and RAIDing them if it's not going to help.

vocab

Where would the bottleneck be if I'm seeing a framerate drop when run FRAPS? Is that more of a HDD issue or a video card thing?

Edit: I have a pair of unused VRaptors lying around. I don't want to go to the trouble of installing and RAIDing them if it's not going to help.

Recording?

Ocho

=( sorry that I haven't been ok bf3 at all, hope norua is still around.

Check the windows event viewer in system and application logs to see if there is anything logge at the time of the crash. Set everything back to stock and try the latest WHQL drivers not beta. You have more than enough power and your not over heating anything. You can also try and run EVGAs OC scanner to check for any artifacts (indicating GPU memory errors). Doesn't sound like a major hardware error to me because usually when hardware fails is pretty catastrophi and stops working all together.

If you can't figure it out in the next while ill be back may 31st so I can hop on mumble and help troubleshoot. Or maybe I can volunteer mkenyon to help you

Hey Scogoth. I see Norua online some times, but we don't really play. It's fine, we can use a break until BF4.

Regarding my issue, I'm pretty sure my video card simply decided to stop working after I used my 144hz. Something went wrong since then and now it doesn't work in some occasions. I ran memtest again, everything fine. I even updated my BIOS. I opened my PC and cleaned everything up. I even reformat.

I discarded my PSU on the reasoning that when my computer crashes it instantly boots up and lights in the motherboard don't really go away. If it were my PSU, I would expect a hard crash no reboot or anything.

And the only change from this weekend, when it was working good, was the addition of this new monitor. Therefore new monitor = GPU = crashes only when running certain games. Although now it reboots even if using only my previous monitor.

The only thing that perplexes me is that I can play LoL only when I removed my OC. Before removing my OC, it crashed. How can this be related? Maybe my OC made LoL to perform better therefore hitting whatever note my GPU needs to reach for crash?

I'm so sad. Time to contact EVGA.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Will there be any new cards released at this price point that performs significantly better than the 7950 between now and when the new consoles hit?
760Ti after 770/780 launch in next 0-2 weeks, but significant is relative. I highly doubt a 7950 purchase now with the bundle stuff will cause regret later.
Somewhat silly question but, does this case (http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031500&sku=75044&promoid=1146) need to have it's front door open for the fans in the front to work properly? I've been looking for another case because I'm not liking the looks of mine anymore.
Closed is fine. Intake is from side of door.
I have the game installed to my SSD and I'm recording to my Caviar Black :(

Depends on what you are recording. Is your CPU maxing out when you do so?
Try a short clip to the SSD.
Hey Scogoth. I see Norua online some times, but we don't really play. It's fine, we can use a break until BF4.

Regarding my issue, I'm pretty sure my video card simply decided to stop working after I used my 144hz. Something went wrong since then and now it doesn't work in some occasions. I ran memtest again, everything fine. I even updated my BIOS. I opened my PC and cleaned everything up. I even reformat.

I discarded my PSU on the reasoning that when my computer crashes it instantly boots up and lights in the motherboard don't really go away. If it were my PSU, I would expect a hard crash no reboot or anything.

And the only change from this weekend, when it was working good, was the addition of this new monitor. Therefore new monitor = GPU = crashes only when running certain games. Although now it reboots even if using only my previous monitor.

The only thing that perplexes me is that I can play LoL only when I removed my OC. Before removing my OC, it crashed. How can this be related? Maybe my OC made LoL to perform better therefore hitting whatever note my GPU needs to reach for crash?

I'm so sad. Time to contact EVGA.
Did you ever recheck if you OCs were good? They can wear overtime and stuff that you thought was stable, might not really be.

Banned
Ok PC-Gaf, I need some advice. It's time for a PC upgrade. I just don't know if I should wait till June (Haswell, GTX 700 series, new LGA 1150 socket motherboards).

I built my first rig in December 2009. I've only added more RAM, an aftermarket CPU cooler, and upgraded my GPU from a GTX 295 to a GTX 570 (2.5GB edition)

Core i7-920 2.7GHz (Overclocked up to 4Ghz)
Asus Rampage II Extreme Motherboard (LGA 1366, a poor socket choice :( )
18GB DDR3 RAM 1600mhz
Corsair TX 850Watt PSU
GTX 570 2.5GB GDDR5
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower case (Supports all ATX formats, even E-ATX)

My main reason for wanting to upgrade are:

I want USB 3.0
I want SATA 3.0
Most importantly, I want PCIe 3.0 x16 for faster GPU speeds.

But, since I have a first gen intel CPU, I won't be able to keep it. A new motherboard means a new CPU. As of now I am eyeing an Asus Maximus V Formula (Asus onboard sound is good enough for my gaming experiences, including software, and I only buy Asus motherboards) and an Intel Core i7-3770k for the overclocking ability and hyperthreading.

Now, my current i7 was a waste for HT, as no game ever used it, until now (Crysis 3). Some current games, and I expect next gen games, will make use of hyperthreading on CPU's to make up for the lack of cores most PC's have compared to PS4/X1's 8 cores. It's just a theory, but Hyperthreading is important to me. So, I won't feel comfortable going lower then an i7 for next gen.

I like to dabble in some overclocking of RAM and CPU's, and the Bios in the Republic of Gamers boards are easy to do that.

But, my timing seems poor. Haswell CPU's are coming out next month, and they use an LGA 1150 socket. Asus is releasing maximus VI boards and new sabertooth boards soon. I prefer maximus because it comes with on board audio.

I buy intel and nvidia and asus only. I prefer EVGA as my gpu dealer. My plan was to buy this setup next month:

Asus Maximus V Formula
Intel Core i7-3770k 3.5GHz (turbo boost 3.9Ghz)
GTX 780
Leftover components from old CPU like RAM and PSU.

But, should I wait a month for Haswell CPU's and LGA 1150 motherboards?
I don't want to spend more then $1000 upgrading my PC.

Am I spending too much for what I want? Should I get a cheaper sabertooth board and buy a mid-tier sound card? I don't SLI, so I don't want more then two PCIe 16.0x slots. I only game at 1080p, and one monitor, but I accept nothing less than 60fps at maximum settings (except for Crysis 3, poorly optimized lol).

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Cross-post from the B/S/T.

I have two gently used EVGA Nvidia GTX670 Cards. These are the SC editions and each come with a backplate. These are both 4GB models.

Condition wise, they both look and work great. I'm just not a huge fan of SLI. First time running it - been doing so for about two weeks - and yeah, the extra work and the fact that not all games are optimized super well just makes me yearn for a single card again. So, I just bought a Titan.

I have the boxes for each - I think I may have a couple extra cables, but not sure about that. Boxes are in fair condition. Note that I did buy one from a user here, and one from a user on another forum. While I was assured they were treated well (and I assume that's true, as they work great), I just wanted to fyi-ya.

I'd like $650/shipped for the pair. I'd prefer to keep them together for now. Also, not interested in trades, but thanks! Payment via Paypal or Amazon Payments works for me.

Looks good!

Thanks kenyon. I had the Fractal Design Node 605 for about 2 weeks before this case and it was too tight trying to work with the case, but is still worth picking up for a sleek HTPC. The HAF XB though has so much room to work with.

I like the 660 Ti FTW, but keep thinking I probably should of gone with the 670 FTW, but oh well.

Ocho

Did you ever recheck if you OCs were good? They can wear overtime and stuff that you thought was stable, might not really be.

I removed my OC altogether. I'm on 3.4 stock now.

I downloaded EVGA OC Scanner X and as soon as I hit stress test my computer crashes. Now I'm not sure if it's my GPU or my PSU since I read that type of crashes can be attributed to insufficient power.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ok PC-Gaf, I need some advice. It's time for a PC upgrade. I just don't know if I should wait till June (Haswell, GTX 700 series, new LGA 1150 socket motherboards).

I built my first rig in December 2009. I've only added more RAM, an aftermarket CPU cooler, and upgraded my GPU from a GTX 295 to a GTX 570 (2.5GB edition)

Core i7-920 2.7GHz (Overclocked up to 4Ghz)
Asus Rampage II Extreme Motherboard (LGA 1366, a poor socket choice :( )
18GB DDR3 RAM 1600mhz
Corsair TX 850Watt PSU
GTX 570 2.5GB GDDR5
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower case (Supports all ATX formats, even E-ATX)
Looks like all you really need is a GPU upgrade.
My main reason for wanting to upgrade are:

I want USB 3.0
I want SATA 3.0
Most importantly, I want PCIe 3.0 x16 for faster GPU speeds.
USB 3.0 you can use an add-on card (Yeah, yeah it's not front ports)
SATA 3.0 unless you are actively doing ridiculous transfers is an extremely small difference in daily use (300MB/s instant access vs 500MB/s instant access)

PCIe 3.0x
Tq4VxIt.jpg

But, since I have a first gen intel CPU, I won't be able to keep it. A new motherboard means a new CPU. As of now I am eyeing an Asus Maximus V Formula (Asus onboard sound is good enough for my gaming experiences, including software, and I only buy Asus motherboards) and an Intel Core i7-3770k for the overclocking ability and hyperthreading.

Now, my current i7 was a waste for HT, as no game ever used it, until now (Crysis 3). Some current games, and I expect next gen games, will make use of hyperthreading on CPU's to make up for the lack of cores most PC's have compared to PS4/X1's 8 cores. It's just a theory, but Hyperthreading is important to me. So, I won't feel comfortable going lower then an i7 for next gen.
The biggest jump here would be going from your current i7 to something like a 5Ghz OC Haswell (or higher) Give you a solid 35%+ boost in CPU power.
I like to dabble in some overclocking of RAM and CPU's, and the Bios in the Republic of Gamers boards are easy to do that.

But, my timing seems poor. Haswell CPU's are coming out next month, and they use an LGA 1150 socket. Asus is releasing maximus VI boards and new sabertooth boards soon. I prefer maximus because it comes with on board audio.
See above.
I buy intel and nvidia and asus only. I prefer EVGA as my gpu dealer. My plan was to buy this setup next month:

Asus Maximus V Formula
Intel Core i7-3770k 3.5GHz (turbo boost 3.9Ghz)
GTX 780
Leftover components from old CPU like RAM and PSU.

But, should I wait a month for Haswell CPU's and LGA 1150 motherboards?
Wait, since Haswell will be with the 780 launch anyway at the same prices. Be dumb not to.
I don't want to spend more then $1000 upgrading my PC.

Am I spending too much for what I want?
Should I get a cheaper sabertooth board and buy a mid-tier sound card? I don't SLI, so I don't want more then two PCIe 16.0x slots. I only game at 1080p, and one monitor, but I accept nothing less than 60fps at maximum settings (except for Crysis 3, poorly optimized lol).
Yes you are, but everything is relative. In terms of strictly looking at frame latency per $, just dropping in a 780 on your existing system is by far the best bet and frees up a ton of money.

If Haswell overclocks to the moon I'll be tempted to upgrade, but there isn't a good logical reason for me to do so on a gaming benefits side if you are only playing at 60FPS. Above that is probably another story...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I removed my OC altogether. I'm on 3.4 stock now.

I downloaded EVGA OC Scanner X and as soon as I hit stress test my computer crashes. Now I'm not sure if it's my GPU or my PSU since I read that type of crashes can be attributed to insufficient power.
Can you post your whole system specs again?

If you stress the CPU only does your PC crash?
Any visible damage on mobo or GPU? Everything clean? Can you check load GPU temps before it crashes?
Have you replugged all power and data connectors, along with the GPU from the PCI-E slot?

Banned
Looks like all you really need is a GPU upgrade.

USB 3.0 you can use an add-on card (Yeah, yeah it's not front ports)
SATA 3.0 unless you are actively doing ridiculous transfers is an extremely small difference in daily use (300MB/s instant access vs 500MB/s instant access)

PCIe 3.0x
Tq4VxIt.jpg

The biggest jump here would be going from your current i7 to something like a 5Ghz OC Haswell (or higher) Give you a solid 35%+ boost in CPU power.

See above.

Wait, since Haswell will be with the 780 launch anyway at the same prices. Be dumb not to.

Yes you are, but everything is relative. In terms of strictly looking at frame latency per $, just dropping in a 780 on your existing system is by far the best bet and frees up a ton of money.

If Haswell overclocks to the moon I'll be tempted to upgrade, but there isn't a good logical reason for me to do so on a gaming benefits side if you are only playing at 60FPS. Above that is probably another story...
Thank you! I was under the impression my PCI 2.0 would handicap a GTX 780. But, that CPU jump does seem nice.

Maybe I can get some money back by selling the motherboard and cpu and gtx 570?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thank you! I was under the impression my PCI 2.0 would handicap a GTX 780. But, that CPU jump does seem nice.

Maybe I can get some money back by selling the motherboard and cpu and gtx 570?
The thing is that the CPU bump in speed will be nice, but gaming at 60FPS it's really not going to make too large a difference besides some extra smoothness for high intensive CPU games like 32/64 man BF3, Arma, Planetside 2 (what is optimization?), Civ V, or StarCraft.
It would be nice if more people ran benchmarks to really get some concrete evidence on how CPU speed in real world scenarios actually matters. :/

I can certainly understand the upgrade bug if you are on a first gen i7. Either choice isn't wrong.
And not a single mATX or miniITX board. I am disappoint...
They are there, but with the same stylings so I didn't post them. I left a lot out.

Ocho

Can you post your whole system specs again?

If you stress the CPU only does your PC crash?
Any visible damage on mobo or GPU? Everything clean? Can you check load GPU temps before it crashes?
Have you replugged all power and data connectors, along with the GPU from the PCI-E slot?

Asus Maximus V Gene, 3570k, 670 evga ftw, crosair tx professional 750w psu

Stress testing my CPU atm with prime95 (if something is better, please recommend). So far so good.

No visible damage to mobo or GPU. In fact, I didn't move my PC before crashes began. Today I thoroughly cleaned everything (fans, gpu, psu, dust mesh, inside of case, I even cleaned my CPU air heatsink and reapplied paste in the hope to fix this). Temps are compeltely fine before crash: I'm talking 30s cpu 50s gpu.

I replugged GPU cords (I even removed the extensions I have and plugged directly to PSU). I switches PSU slots (my PSU is modular) and still crashes. Have yet to unplug all the other, though. Will do after a couple of minutes of CPU stress test.

tarheel91

So, I've got a Gigabyte 7950. Aside from being a thermal beast (maxes out in the highs 50s in a 24C environment at 50% fan), I'm able to overclock this thing to well past anything I've seen at stock voltages. I've got it at 1100 MHz on stock voltage, whereas the most I've seen anyone else get is 1040MHz. Is there any danger to this? I thought I was playing it safe at stock voltage, but I just wanted to make sure.

Jafku

So, I've got a Gigabyte 7950. Aside from being a thermal beast (maxes out in the highs 50s in a 24C environment at 50% fan), I'm able to overclock this thing to well past anything I've seen at stock voltages. I've got it at 1100 MHz on stock voltage, whereas the most I've seen anyone else get is 1040MHz. Is there any danger to this? I thought I was playing it safe at stock voltage, but I just wanted to make sure.
Do you notice any artifacting? If not and its on stock voltage, then your good imo.

Ocho

Unplugging replugging seems to have worked! What is this magic?

Edit: spoke too soon. At least the stress test lasted a couple of seconds instead of insta crash. Also, stress tested my cpu and no errors.

zoku88

dumb question, but OS is stored on the harddrive right?

So can I can swap out cpu/mobo/ram without a fresh install?

That is OS dependent.

Not sure if you can do that in Windows (at some point, the license will think you just installed it on a different computer.)

I think it might be tied to the mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom