• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I was wondering how an i5 750 overclocked to 3.8 GHz stands to to current Ivy Bridge Processors. From my understanding, overclocked first gen core cpus are nothing to sneer at, so I was wondering how much I'm missing out on, if at all.

If I make the jump to Haswell in the next few months, what kind of a leap should I expect to see?

dazzgc

Banned
ok. im doing it.

looking at getting a GTX titan, i7 3770k and an ssd.

have case, ram etc.

Is this future proof for a good 3-4 years for gaming@1080p?

im not interested in SLI.

also, im flying to california from australia next week, anyone know of any good retail storefronts with good prices that i can pay cash?

thanks in advance!

Ocho

Any reason why my 12v+ railing isnt showing in hwmonitor?

1x5P2jr.png

kennah

ok. im doing it.

have case, ram etc.

also, im flying to california from australia next week, anyone know of any good retail storefronts with good prices that i can pay cash?

thanks in advance!

The only thing that is future proof is to buy midrange stuff and continually upgrade instead of getting top of the line once.

It is better use of the same money. Buy a 300$ video card now. A $300 one in two years and another $300 one in four years.

What sort of temps are too high for a gigabyte 670? I'm getting pretty damn high temps (up to 88 Celsius) when playing Skyrim enb and sleeping dogs. I have a fan profile set already and it's pretty damn loud at those temps.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Buying a new heatsink seems to have fixed my problems with my graphics card (gtx 460). Idling around 30c now instead of 90+ lol.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is there anything wrong with the Samsung 840? I remember hearing people not to get em, but I'm not quite sure why.
It uses less durable NAND (Should be perfectly fine for consumer use) and is slower (Still stupid fast). Samsung, Intel, and Crucial all have lowest failure rates and best track records as well.

I've really been coming around to it. Before it was basically the same price as competition, now it's $30 cheaper. I'd feel comfortable using a 120GB at $90.
Asus Maximus V Gene, 3570k, 670 evga ftw, crosair tx professional 750w psu

Stress testing my CPU atm with prime95 (if something is better, please recommend). So far so good.

I replugged GPU cords (I even removed the extensions I have and plugged directly to PSU). I switches PSU slots (my PSU is modular) and still crashes. Have yet to unplug all the other, though. Will do after a couple of minutes of CPU stress test.
Sounds like a GPU problem then. Did you try a different PCI-E slot yet?
So, I've got a Gigabyte 7950. Aside from being a thermal beast (maxes out in the highs 50s in a 24C environment at 50% fan), I'm able to overclock this thing to well past anything I've seen at stock voltages. I've got it at 1100 MHz on stock voltage, whereas the most I've seen anyone else get is 1040MHz. Is there any danger to this? I thought I was playing it safe at stock voltage, but I just wanted to make sure.
My GB 670 clocks well above average. Go for higher if it's stable.
dumb question, but OS is stored on the harddrive right?

So can I can swap out cpu/mobo/ram without a fresh install?
You can swap everything but the motherboard iirc. Then it'll ask to renew/reactivate your license (and you need to redo drivers).
ok. im doing it.

have case, ram etc.

thanks in advance!
MicroCenter.
I hope so, jesus. I'd also highly consider a GTX780 instead to save $3-400.

If you are arriving after June 3rd, pickup Haswell instead (Unless you want to save some cash and go with a nice MicroCenter bundle).
Any reason why my 12v+ railing isnt showing in hwmonitor?
PSU Voltage reporting has never been good on any software.
What sort of temps are too high for a gigabyte 670? I'm getting pretty damn high temps (up to 88 Celsius) when playing Skyrim enb and sleeping dogs. I have a fan profile set already and it's pretty damn loud at those temps.
My GB 670 never breaches 65C load, so I'd clean it out, maybe reseat the heatsink. Anything blocking its intake?
Buying a new heatsink seems to have fixed my problems with my graphics card (gtx 460). Idling around 30c now instead of 90+ lol.
Yay

dazzgc

Banned
You can swap everything but the motherboard iirc. Then it'll ask to renew/reactivate your license (and you need to redo drivers).

MicroCenter.
I hope so, jesus. I'd also highly consider a GTX780 instead to save $3-400.

If you are arriving after June 3rd, pickup Haswell instead (Unless you want to save some cash and go with a nice MicroCenter bundle).

thanks! i will be there from june 1 until june 14th so that will definitely be an option. will there be a substantial difference in price for the 3770k "equivilent" haswell cpu?

also, will the GTX780 be readily available in retail between that time?

Zhuk86

Banned
So I've been running my current system for 4 years now, and it is as follows:

Phenom II x6 (upgraded from x3 in 2010)
4gb RAM
HD 5770
128gb SSD

I have never felt the need to upgrade as it is lightning fast, plays any game I throw at it and has lots of cores. I'm very happy with the longevity AMD has provided me over the years. That said, with the next gen consoles approaching I think it might be time for an upgrade of the GPU.

I read Anandtech's review of Kabini/Jaguar and its nice to know that even my old Thuban is still much more powerful than the CPUs in the next gen consoles. So I am thinking I will leave the CPU as is and just upgrade to:

8gb RAM
GTX 770/780 or 8970 (When released)

What say you GAF?

kennah

thanks! i will be there from june 1 until june 14th so that will definitely be an option. will there be a substantial difference in price for the 3770k "equivilent" haswell cpu?

also, will the GTX780 be readily available in retail between that time?

No difference in price and "probably"

Alright so I did reapplied my 670's thermal paste etc and the temps dropped a little but not as much as I hoped. 81 degrees under full load. So it's probably a case airflow issue then? I have the define R3, two fans in front, 1 exhaust at back. Should I add a side fan?

kharma45

So I've been running my current system for 4 years now, and it is as follows:

Phenom II x6 (upgraded from x3 in 2010)
4gb RAM
HD 5770
128gb SSD

I have never felt the need to upgrade as it is lightning fast, plays any game I throw at it and has lots of cores. I'm very happy with the longevity AMD has provided me over the years. That said, with the next gen consoles approaching I think it might be time for an upgrade of the GPU.

I read Anandtech's review of Kabini/Jaguar and its nice to know that even my old Thuban is still much more powerful than the CPUs in the next gen consoles. So I am thinking I will leave the CPU as is and just upgrade to:

8gb RAM
GTX 770/780 or 8970 (When released)

What say you GAF?

More RAM if you feel you need it, you can still get away with 4GB though. What I would do is GPU upgrade and OC your Phenom.

Alright so after reseating the 670's heat sink and testing out the furmark stress test, these are the results. I'm getting max 83 degrees normally and I tried removing the side panel and putting a fan next to it blowing through, max of 72 degrees then. So is that telling me I need better air flow? Should I put a side fan in as well?

The 7990 benchmarks really are making me consider a second 7970. Crossfire is still a mess right now isn't it? And I'd probably need to replace my Corsair 650TX, too. Ahhhh, it's probably a dumb idea. I'll just wait another year and do a full system build.

Smokey

Hazaro, please purchase every single board and ascertain which is best for a 3-way GTX TITAN SLI system.

Many thanks in advance :)

Titan is old news bro

Felix crossfire is a dumpster fire right now. Wait until June or July as that is when amd is supposed to be releasing a driver to alleviate some of the problems.

Dave_6

I'm having buyers remorse right now as I feel like I should have waited for Haswell and the newer GPUs, plus I will be buying a PS4 too. Guess I can always upgrade later and sell my current mobo, CPU and GPU whenever the time comes.

Plus I'm still having minor boot/startup issues with my current build. Other than that it works fine.

kharma45

The 7990 benchmarks really are making me consider a second 7970. Crossfire is still a mess right now isn't it? And I'd probably need to replace my Corsair 650TX, too. Ahhhh, it's probably a dumb idea. I'll just wait another year and do a full system build.

Yeah you'd need a new PSU, plus hope that AMD get the drivers sorted next month. What is your 7970 not giving you performance wise?

Well time to stop revising and read all this. OC3D should have their videos up soon.

huh, so I might not need a clean install. And i'm still staying in the same family of chips kinda (well c2q's are a bit old, so a few generations). Based off how driver packages work these days... would the smart thing to do is just dl and install the intel drivers before doing the swaps so they load up afterwards smoothly?

I probably also should deactivate stuff with keys and what not (Which is pretty much just photoshop these days).

On a side note, if I do have to do reinstall, if I have all my steam games on a separate HD from my boot drive, is it possible to sync up the library with a fresh install steam? Not in the mood of redling 100s of gigs.

Courage

hahaha how is the 7970 GE benchmarking higher than this thing? I might just go with the 7970 GE and wait for the Volcanic Islands 2.0 GPUs in 2014.

Felix crossfire is a dumpster fire right now. Wait until June or July as that is when amd is supposed to be releasing a driver to alleviate some of the problems.

Crazy inconsistent frame times, right?

Yeah you'd need a new PSU, plus hope that AMD get the drivers sorted next month. What is your 7970 not giving you performance wise?

For most games it's great, no performance issues, downsampling, no problem, but there are still specific games in specific sections that dip and in some cases dip hard. Maybe it's my CPU or maybe there's just nothing that really can be done in those cases.

I get these cravings to upgrade as well, pop in here and I usually get talked off the ledge.

Man, this thread is going to be helpful.

I've just started a new, better-paying full-time job and I want a new PC. I've been on a Macbook Air for the past 18 months, which obviously has messed up my gaming. I've been keeping up on Steam sales, though, and Humble Bundles.

I'm really tempted to buy a mid range pre-built PC though.

kharma45

Man, this thread is going to be helpful.

I've just started a new, better-paying full-time job and I want a new PC. I've been on a Macbook Air for the past 18 months, which obviously has messed up my gaming. I've been keeping up on Steam sales, though, and Humble Bundles.

I'm really tempted to buy a mid range pre-built PC though.

You'll end up with mediocre components though going down that route. Building your own will result in a higher quality machine and it is fun to do. It's worth considering.

You'll end up with mediocre components though going down that route. Building your own will result in a higher quality machine and it is fun to do. It's worth considering.

I know, I know!

The only think I has is immediacy. I won't be able to afford all the components in one month, so I'd be pissed off buying things with an eye to the next month! :-(

Is there any good way of building a decent system that's upgradeable? I don't want top of the line. I haven't had a gaming-capable machine in 2 years and even that was a Bootcamped Macbook Pro.

kharma45

I know, I know!

The only think I has is immediacy. I won't be able to afford all the components in one month, so I'd be pissed off buying things with an eye to the next month! :-(

Is there any good way of building a decent system that's upgradeable? I don't want top of the line. I haven't had a gaming-capable machine in 2 years and even that was a Bootcamped Macbook Pro.

Intel's new 1150 socket for Haswell will have one more CPU generation after it so you could buy a Haswell i5 and then upgrade to a broadwell i7, or even just get a Haswell i3 and go from there.

AMD also will have another generation of CPUs coming to their current AM3+ socket with Piledriver's successor Steamroller reusing it, so you could get say an FX 6300/6350 and upgrade it when Steamroller launches.

What sort of budget were you eyeing up for a pre-built machine?

Ocho

Sounds like a GPU problem then. Did you try a different PCI-E slot yet?

Tried it after your suggestion to no success. Tomorrow I'll take my GPU to a friend's house and see if it crashes on his computer. Hopefully it does so I can RMA this thing soon. I've been chatting with EVGA guys and basically we've come to this last test.

Intel's new 1150 socket for Haswell will have one more CPU generation after it so you could buy a Haswell i5 and then upgrade to a broadwell i7, or even just get a Haswell i3 and go from there.

AMD also will have another generation of CPUs coming to their current AM3+ socket with Piledriver's successor Steamroller reusing it, so you could get say an FX 6300/6350 and upgrade it when Steamroller launches.

What sort of budget were you eyeing up for a pre-built machine?

Bearing in mind I have done little research, I was looking at spending between £500 and £600 one something that can play games decently and could maybe be upgraded.

kharma45

Bearing in mind I have done little research, I was looking at spending between £500 and £600 one something that can play games decently and could maybe be upgraded.

I'm having to use Intel's IB stuff for this but Haswell won't change prices much when it launches.

Using the upper budget of £600

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZmwS
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZmwS/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZmwS/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (£139.92 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£99.10 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£38.91 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.99 @ Dabs)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£150.96 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.90 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Be Quiet Pure Power L8 530W PSU (£63.95)
Total: £592.73

or

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZmBy
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZmBy/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZmBy/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£85.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£101.99 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£38.91 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.99 @ Dabs)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£150.96 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.90 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Be Quiet Pure Power L8 530W PSU (£63.95)
Total: £541.69

You'd be looking at systems similar to that. You could also stick a Hyper 212 Evo onto the AMD build and OC it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom