• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3z_

There will be other non-reference coolers for the 780's, not a terrible idea to wait on them considering the overclocking is temperature based and although the 780 cooler is great from a sound perspective the temps in all the reviews show it hitting that 80 degree thermal limit very easily.

kennah

There will be other non-reference coolers for the 780's, not a terrible idea to wait on them considering the overclocking is temperature based and although the 780 cooler is great from a sound perspective the temps in all the reviews show it hitting that 80 degree thermal limit very easily.

BUT LIMITED EDITTIIIOOOOOONNNNNN

I WANT ONE

ss_lemonade

Do non-GHZ 7970s easily hit ghz speeds? After looking at some reviews and benches, a 7970 seems like a good idea instead of spending nearly double for the 780. Someone was selling one here the other day so I can probably go with that

kharma45

Do non-GHZ 7970s easily hit ghz speeds? After looking at some reviews and benches, a 7970 seems like a good idea instead of spending nearly double for the 780. Someone was selling one here the other day so I can probably go with that

Most do yes as long as you've a good cooler and not a reference one.

I built my computer last year and this year I'm doing a bit of an upgrade and I need a little advice. I have this:

-i5-2500k cpu @3.30ghz
-24gb of ram(just found out windows 7 only utilizes 16gb???)
that sucks, but I am assuming if I upgrade to windows 8 it'll allow me to use all 24

- 256ssd for programs
-128-ssd for games
-3tb hd for files

-corsair 500w power supply

I've just been using my radeon 5770 pro for the past few years, probably THE best purchase I have ever made. Thing has been running all my games at pretty damn high settings and still is actually. But I want to make another good choice on videocard upgrade???

I've been looking around and I really wanna try out the nvidia route this time. Was going to go with a GTX680. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but will my 500w ps run it? Won't burn out the power supply super quick or anything?

kennah

I built my computer last year and this year I'm doing a bit of an upgrade and I need a little advice. I have this:

-i5-2500k cpu @3.30ghz
that sucks, but I am assuming if I upgrade to windows 8 it'll allow me to use all 24

- 256ssd for programs
-128-ssd for games
-3tb hd for files

I've just been using my radeon 5770 pro for the past few years, probably THE best purchase I have ever made. Thing has been running all my games at pretty damn high settings and still is actually. But I want to make another good choice on videocard upgrade???

I've been looking around and I really wanna try out the nvidia route this time. Was going to go with a GTX680. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but will my 500w ps run it? Won't burn out the power supply super quick or anything?

It should run it, but a 680 is kinda wasted money. Go for a 670 or the soon to release 770.

kharma45

-i5-2500k cpu @3.30ghz

- 256ssd for programs
-128-ssd for games
-3tb hd for files

Upgrade to professional or ultimate if you want to stick with W7 and you can use up to 192GB.

A 680 will be fine on your PSU, any single card will be. What you should do is overclock your 2500K and upgrade your GPU. Nvidia has launched the 780 today and the 770 is coming soon. They'll be the two most potent on the market out of the box although the 7970 still represents very good value.

mkenyon

Banned
You can already buy coolers for it that should keep it around ~40 degrees at full load with the highest OC settings.

23548.jpg

:p

Upgrade to professional or ultimate if you want to stick with W7 and you can use up to 192GB.

A 680 will be fine on your PSU, any single card will be. What you should do is overclock your 2500K and upgrade your GPU. Nvidia has launched the 780 today and the 770 is coming soon. They'll be the two most potent on the market out of the box although the 7970 still represents very good value.

Am I able to just do a simple upgrade somehow online with my windows 7 or will it require a fresh install??

That 780 looks badass, priced at 645 is still a bit much. I might be willing to wait a few more weeks to save up for the 780 though. Will the 780 still be ok for my 500w corsair?

bro1

Banned

-i5-2500k cpu @3.30ghz

- 256ssd for programs
-128-ssd for games
-3tb hd for files

Get a GTX670OC edition and save $100. In fact, I may have one if your looking to upgrade.

mkenyon

Banned
FCAT, yes. Frame latency, no.

The latter can be achieved by using Fraps. Frame latency is the only accurate way to analyze video card performance.

*edit*

And to be clear, FCAT also measures frame latency, but it does it from a different point in the pipeline that gives a more accurate view of multi card performance since where Fraps polls data from is before frame metering technologies are applied.

kharma45

Am I able to just do a simple upgrade somehow online with my windows 7 or will it require a fresh install??

That 780 looks badass, priced at 645 is still a bit much. I might be willing to wait a few more weeks to save up for the 780 though. Will the 780 still be ok for my 500w corsair?

You can just upgrade afaik.

A 780 would be still fine yeah. Keep an eye on the 770, it should be the 680 + 15% or so. It shouldn't be far off.

bro1

Banned
FCAT, yes. Frame latency, no.

The latter can be achieved by using Fraps. Frame latency is the only accurate way to analyze video card performance.

*edit*

And to be clear, FCAT also measures frame latency, but it does it from a different point in the pipeline that gives a more accurate view of multi card performance since where Fraps polls data from is before frame metering technologies are applied.

But with Nvidias frame metering built into the hardware, isn't it really a nonissue for single cards? I thought FCAT captured the runt frames and showed how much your perceived frames are actually choppy. Or am I wrong in my understanding?

mkenyon

Banned
The way to look at it is this:

Frame latency data is inherently more accurate. Because of how precise it is in measuring performance, things like runt frames and uneven render times were able to be discovered.

It's like looking at a cell with some low magnification optic compared to some insane electron based microscope. The latter can find things that the former can't, but it is still always a better tool for analysis.

*edit*

So you understand more, this is how the two systems work.

FPS - polls data once a second. It takes all of the frame times produced over the last second and averages them. So you can have 30-150 data points averaged out once a second.

Frame time/latency - Looks at every frame rendered, zero averaging. So you are looking at every bit and piece of data.

They both attempt to measure the same thing, but the latter measures ALL of it.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any miscellaneous cables I need when putting together my build? My WD hard drive didn't come with a SATA cable. Unless the cables are in my motherboard box which I haven't opened up yet.

Oxn

Im going to be picking up a 780 for my sis who isnt a techie by any standards, and doesnt play games. She fell into the cuda core hype

But she says she wants the best for graphic design

Told her itll be like 600 but she dun care

So the question now is, which brand should i pick up? Was thinking evga

mkenyon

Banned
Im going to be picking up a 780 for my sis who isnt a techie by any standards, and doesnt play games. She fell into the cuda core hype

But she says she wants the best for graphic design

Told her itll be like 600 but she dun care

So the question now is, which brand should i pick up? Was thinking evga
For what it's worth, they reduced some of the compute performance:

Speaking of things that don't matter much, Nvidia has decided to scale back the GTX 780's capacity for double-precision floating-point math. Double-precision support is built into the GK110 GPU because of the chip's compute-focused role aboard Nvidia's Tesla products. Real-time graphics basically don't require that level of precision. The Titan offers the GK110's full DP performance, so it can be used for scientific computing and other non-graphics compute applications. On the GTX 780, DP math executes at 1/24th the rate of single-precision math, just enough to maintain compatibility without truly being useful.

As to what brand you get, it doesn't matter at all for reference cards.

Addnan

whats the best way to 'ground' oneself... in the kitchen lol. No where else to tinker with my computer atm :(
I wouldn't be too scared of that. People say to touch the inside of your case to ground yourself.

I've built in a bed and that's probably the last place you want to and nothing happened,

jiffy38

ME for Canadian currently has i5 3570k + gigabyte GA-z77 hd3 mobo for 299.99. Makes me really wonder if haswell is worth the wait.

mkenyon

Banned
Another cross post. This is a GAF-only deal. Selling $825 elsewhere.

GTX 690 for $750.

This includes the stock cooler, a $130 waterblock, and a $30 backplate. That's $1160 of hardware new. It's also $100 more than the recently released 780 while outperforming it by a very substantial margin.

Price is shipped to US48, CA extra.

*edit*

In the process of buying a house, so can't spare the extra money to plop down on a brand new 780. Hurts to let it go at this price, but I'd be happy knowing it'd be going to someone on GAF.

Haswell Motherboards!
Taking notes in my BIOS is something I'm looking forward to. I always forget everything after I OC once.

Really not feeling that new gold and yellow color scheme for the asus boards. Looks like the kind of colors meant to get people to buy their higher end boards.

Guess I shouldn't care though since I don't normally like cases with windows.

You can just upgrade afaik.

A 780 would be still fine yeah. Keep an eye on the 770, it should be the 680 + 15% or so. It shouldn't be far off.

-i5-2500k cpu @3.30ghz

- 256ssd for programs
-128-ssd for games
-3tb hd for files

So I have done all these upgrades, but was goign to leave my processor the same. is the i5 ok? if i end up getting a 780 will my i5 be holding things back?

Addnan

-i5-2500k cpu @3.30ghz

- 256ssd for programs
-128-ssd for games
-3tb hd for files

So I have done all these upgrades, but was goign to leave my processor the same. is the i5 ok? if i end up getting a 780 will my i5 be holding things back?

2500K is still a good processor, but a bit of overclock always help performance. :)

kennah

Ok. Doing this build for a friend. What do you guys think?

i7-3820
Corsair H110
X79 Sabertooth
4x 8gig Crucial Ballistic Sport Low Profile 1.35V RAM (He does need 32gig)
GTX 780
256 gig Samsung 840 Pro
3TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard drive
550W Seasonic SSR-550RM power supply
Corsair C70 (Was essentially free)

Since some of the parts are used it's going to come in around $2,000 Canadian.

MedIC86

Okay im kinda of loop here, soon im getting my first 1440p screen.

Now im deciding on the GPU, the 780GTX is a real nice card, but its rather expensive (not that i dont have the money, but i dont know how future proof it is).

On the other hand i can go for a 7970ghz edit, which also performs okay on 1440p and is approx 30-50% cheaper, and i can upgrade later on (which wouldne feel as bad as when i bought a 780).

is the huge price difference worth it..

I never had a 1440p screen, so im not sure. Anyone has thoughts?

tarheel91

I've seen a lot hit 1.2GHz. Just make sure you get one with a good cooling solution.

If I have my steam library already not on my bootable hard drive, would I need to do anything fancy to 'back it up' so I can use after a fresh install?

And am I hearing this correctly? You can use your mouse in modern bios now? Insanity o_O.

mkenyon

Banned
Just copy/pasta the steamapps directory to wherever you install steam. Once you boot it up, it'll sync everything and work like magic.

squicken

This was at the end of the Tom's review. What is happening next week?

The GeForce GTX 780 is a sexy piece of graphics hardware built on top of an impossibly-complex 7.1 billion-transistor GPU. It’s very fast, very quiet, and includes several other attractive features. But, I’m going to wait a week before deciding what I’d spend my money on in the high-end graphics market. You’d be wise to do the same…

HoosTrax

But, I’m going to wait a week before deciding what I’d spend my money on in the high-end graphics market. You’d be wise to do the same…
What's supposed to be so fascinating about the 670 that would make people wait a week?

what are people feeling now both next gen systems are announced?

With games being cross gen for probably 2 more years... I'm feeling your average mid range card, which is what now, 560ti?, should be good for at least another year unless optimization goes to complete shit.

Akai__

I didn't watch the video about the GTX780, so I have just a little question. Will it have custom coolers from other companies, such light Asus, Gigabyte, etc.?

Was it even mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom