• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

I didn't watch the video about the GTX780, so I have just a little question. Will it have custom coolers from other companies, such light Asus, Gigabyte, etc.?

Was it even mentioned?
EVGA's superclocked version has their own cooler, so I am sure in time ASUS etc will have theirs.

kharma45

I didn't watch the video about the GTX780, so I have just a little question. Will it have custom coolers from other companies, such light Asus, Gigabyte, etc.?

Was it even mentioned?

Gigabyte has one already, more will come

22132439118l.JPG

what are people feeling now both next gen systems are announced?

With games being cross gen for probably 2 more years... I'm feeling your average mid range card, which is what now, 560ti?, should be good for at least another year unless optimization goes to complete shit.

You mean the 660ti? The 5XX series is pretty much old now..

Demon Ice

Banned
They're still not using FCAT or Fraps for frame latency? Wow, talk about obsolete. HardOCP quickly going the way of Tom's in irrelevance.

I think they balance that out be specifically going for what settings feel playable. In instances where frame latency is an issue (IE, in reviews with Crossfire), they will repeatedly state that the Crossfire set up felt very stuttery, and as a result, they lowered the settings until fluidity returned. They're not like most sites that just run canned benchmarks and report average FPS numbers. All their testing is done with the guy actually playing through a level of the game.

mkenyon

Banned
It's not just about stutter with frame time testing though. I'll give you an example that I ran myself.

Here we have the avg/min/max of 4 runs each on steppings of 200Mhz with a 3570K and 7970:

That's barely an appreciable difference, right?

Now we look at 99th percentile stats for the exact same runs:

That's a difference of over 20 frames per second. That's not felt in just stutter, but in increased response time/decreased input lag, less chug, and smoother illusion of motion.

I'm going to put this bluntly. Deciding not to use frame time testing, whether that be through FCAT, Fraps, or both, is going to be due to one of two things. One, laziness, as it takes a lot more time to put the data together. The other is plain ignorance on behalf of the tester not understanding what frame time testing is all about. If it's the former, shame on them. If it's the latter, shame on them for not doing their research. This is a website dedicated to giving out solid consumer advice. They need to keep up with the times or be ignored.

You have choices with Tech Report and PCPer of getting much much more in depth reviews that give consumers a completely accurate picture of performance. There's no reason to give clicks to someone who decides to give less accurate information that has been proven to be completely unreliable.

Oxn

Can someone explain to me how usefull a good GPU is for Graphic design? (photoshop, premier, 3d graphic design)?

Im trying to talk my sister out of buying a top of the line GPU (780) because I have always been under the assumption that its the least useful aspect of the computer dedicated to graphic design (with CPU and ram being the most usefull). I already bought her a 3770K and 16gig of ram. Maybe Im wrong.

So Im trying to tell her you could spend a few hundred less on a 770 (or even lower like a 760) instead of a 780, because you will never see the difference if there even if any.

Am I wrong? She dont really care about the price difference, but if there isnt any performance difference, then she can be talked out.

Can someone explain to me how usefull a good GPU is for Graphic design? (photoshop, premier, 3d graphic design)?

Im trying to talk my sister out of buying a top of the line GPU (780) because I have always been under the assumption that its the least useful aspect of the computer dedicated to graphic design (with CPU and ram being the most usefull). I already bought her a 3770K and 16gig of ram. Maybe Im wrong.

So Im trying to tell her you could spend a few hundred less on a 770 (or even lower like a 760) instead of a 780, because you will never see the difference if there even if any.

Am I wrong? She dont really care about the price difference, but if there isnt any performance difference, then she can be talked out.

Depends on what she's doing. you can run photoshop on integrated graphics card with no problem >.>"

but if she's rendering all kinda stuff... 780 is still overkill for pretty much anything work related.

But we all know she wants to downsample games ;P

don't stop her, unless it's coming out of your wallet :/

Oxn

Depends on what she's doing. you can run photoshop on integrated graphics card with no problem >.>"

but if she's rendering all kinda stuff... 780 is still overkill for pretty much anything work related.

But we all know she wants to downsample games ;P

don't stop her, unless it's coming out of your wallet :/

No not coming outta my pocket, just dont want her to spend so much on stuff that would make 0 difference to her work.

She the type that think the higher the number the better it is. Instead of a 780 for 650, I might tell her to get a 2gig 680 for over 200 cheaper instead.

Which aftermarket cooler is the best on these graphics cards? Looking for best balance of quietness and coolness, although I prioritize quietness. Thinking the ASUS DCII or Gigabyte Windforce?

kennah

Which aftermarket cooler is the best on these graphics cards? Looking for best balance of quietness and coolness, although I prioritize quietness. Thinking the ASUS DCII or Gigabyte Windforce?

Those aren't 'after market' they are 'non-reference' ;) But yes, they are good and quiet. Full custom loop is the quietest, but most expensive.

HoosTrax

Goddammit if Handbrake takes any longer to encode this Youtube video, I have a feeling there's going to be a few hundred dollars tossed at a CPU upgrade instead of a new video card >:|

This might be one of the few things that Ivy Bridge is a nice upgrade over Sandy Bridge for...

Must say the latest announcments have made me happy for my little HTTPC.
What makes me less happy is my XFX 7950 - the heating situation in my Node isn't ideal.
In some games, I need the GPU fan at 50% though to keep it at 60'C - so I might upgrade to a water cooler for my CPU (which is at 40-45ish C) in case it's heat emission from it making the GPU a tiny bit hotter.

Then come christmas I'll see if I can jump on the GT 780 train if it's at an interesting price point.

kharma45

If you want quiet then look to the ASUS, the Windforce is certainly cool but not quiet.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My feeling on the GTX780 is pretty lukewarm. Hopefully the 770 pricing is aggressive and OCs much higher.
Alright so after reseating the 670's heat sink and testing out the furmark stress test, these are the results. I'm getting max 83 degrees normally and I tried removing the side panel and putting a fan next to it blowing through, max of 72 degrees then. So is that telling me I need better air flow? Should I put a side fan in as well?
Post pics. That's still super high. Is your fan profile actually on? What is it?
Hazaro, please purchase every single board and ascertain which is best for a 3-way GTX TITAN SLI system.

Many thanks in advance :)
I'd never run 3-way until it makes actual sense to do so and it doesn't introduce more latency kthx :p

Also mobo testing takes way too long.
The 7990 benchmarks really are making me consider a second 7970. Crossfire is still a mess right now isn't it? And I'd probably need to replace my Corsair 650TX, too. Ahhhh, it's probably a dumb idea. I'll just wait another year and do a full system build.
Shits broke.
huh, so I might not need a clean install. And i'm still staying in the same family of chips kinda (well c2q's are a bit old, so a few generations). Based off how driver packages work these days... would the smart thing to do is just dl and install the intel drivers before doing the swaps so they load up afterwards smoothly?

I probably also should deactivate stuff with keys and what not (Which is pretty much just photoshop these days).

On a side note, if I do have to do reinstall, if I have all my steam games on a separate HD from my boot drive, is it possible to sync up the library with a fresh install steam? Not in the mood of redling 100s of gigs.
You can try to move it, see what happens.
I believe you can just sync / copy the folders in for Steam.
Okay im kinda of loop here, soon im getting my first 1440p screen.

Now im deciding on the GPU, the 780GTX is a real nice card, but its rather expensive (not that i dont have the money, but i dont know how future proof it is).

On the other hand i can go for a 7970ghz edit, which also performs okay on 1440p and is approx 30-50% cheaper, and i can upgrade later on (which wouldne feel as bad as when i bought a 780).

is the huge price difference worth it..

I never had a 1440p screen, so im not sure. Anyone has thoughts?
7970 Ghz is clearly best value for money.
This was at the end of the Tom's review. What is happening next week?
Tom's? Come on dude. This is a good thread.
I'm going to put this bluntly. Deciding not to use frame time testing, whether that be through FCAT, Fraps, or both, is going to be due to one of two things. One, laziness, as it takes a lot more time to put the data together. The other is plain ignorance on behalf of the tester not understanding what frame time testing is all about. If it's the former, shame on them. If it's the latter, shame on them for not doing their research. This is a website dedicated to giving out solid consumer advice. They need to keep up with the times or be ignored.

You have choices with Tech Report and PCPer of getting much much more in depth reviews that give consumers a completely accurate picture of performance. There's no reason to give clicks to someone who decides to give less accurate information that has been proven to be completely unreliable.
*nods*
I was reading the thread and saw [H] and Tom's mentioned. [H] is a good data point due to how they review, but really I came to post these:

http://techreport.com/review/24832/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-graphics-card-reviewed
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...e-GTX-780-3GB-Graphics-Card-Review-GK110-Mini
If you want quiet then look to the ASUS, the Windforce is certainly cool but not quiet.
Windforce is both. It's stupid quiet, as I'm sure the ASUS is.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I have no idea what the hell they are doing. TPU says it's quiet, rest don't.

My OC'd and overvolted GB 670 OC idles at 20% speed around 40C, and I never let it go above 50% fan speed while it stays under 65C load.

Garou

If it's just graphics design and no gaming she should consider something from the Nividia Quadro-Line which are specifically made for that purpose (and give some enhanced features in Pro-Apps).

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-desktop-gpus.html

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Tempted for a GTX 780, but not like this. Not $650 for stock clocks and 3 GB.

I may cave in if 5 GB with 20% minimum OC happens at that price, but looks like it would take a move from AMD for that to happen.

Currently I have 6950 CF, which doesn't really work so I have a 6950.

Smash88

Banned
Calling EVGA tomorrow to cancel my order and get the 780 instead.

I'm pretty upset now. :(

Paying $300 more for ~10fps more is not worth it.

Fuck my life.

So I'm in the process of building my first rig, and I'm pretty inexperienced. I'm debating between these two boards because of the price. Can anyone clear this up for me?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130653

v.s.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157330

Pay attention to the board and what it supports and what your plans are. For example if you plan on going either SLI or Crossfire then the first mobo is fine, the second however only supports Crossfire.

Also are you going to overclock the processor?

That MSI board also wasn't rated view well, is anything from MSI ever?

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/09/10/msi_z77ag41_lga_1155_motherboard_review/#.UZ7Wv7U898E

Heya PC-GAF! I'm back to ask more questions!

I've been contracted by the owner of the company my dad works at to build a really powerful PC for him to handle stuff he's working on. He's going to be running a lot of heavy simulations, so he wants lots of SSDs and lots and lots of memory. I don't think I can say exactly for sure what he'll be working on, but just by his descriptions, it seems like it's going to be pretty memory intensive and he's going to be doing a lot of reading and writing of data. So far, I have this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZruY

But he wanted as much memory as possible, and wanted 64 gigs. Does anyone think this would be a build that could suffice for tons of daily data writing, or would a build with 64 gigs of RAM be possible for not a huge price raise? If anyone could offer any help on any potential 64 gig builds that would be too huge in a price spike, that would be great.

Also, for the 32 gb build, would that cooler be fine for what the computer would be used for, or should it be upgraded to something more powerful?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, PC-GAF! Thanks in advance! :D

Heya PC-GAF! I'm back to ask more questions!

I've been contracted by the owner of the company my dad works at to build a really powerful PC for him to handle stuff he's working on. He's going to be running a lot of heavy simulations, so he wants lots of SSDs and lots and lots of memory. I don't think I can say exactly for sure what he'll be working on, but just by his descriptions, it seems like it's going to be pretty memory intensive and he's going to be doing a lot of reading and writing of data. So far, I have this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZruY

But he wanted as much memory as possible, and wanted 64 gigs. Does anyone think this would be a build that could suffice for tons of daily data writing, or would a build with 64 gigs of RAM be possible for not a huge price raise? If anyone could offer any help on any potential 64 gig builds that would be too huge in a price spike, that would be great.

Also, for the 32 gb build, would that cooler be fine for what the computer would be used for, or should it be upgraded to something more powerful?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, PC-GAF! Thanks in advance! :D

Looks good, but may want to up the PSU with all those drives. The cooler is a decent one and would do well unless you want to go a little further and get a self enclosed water cooler.

Problem with the ram is not knowing exactly what the PC will be used for. How heavy / intensive are the programs going to be? I can tell you I have 32GB in my rig and I do a lot of virtualization and 32GB is barely enough.

Also... DAMN at those 512GB SSD's. I'm jealous.

I have no idea what the hell they are doing. TPU says it's quiet, rest don't.

My OC'd and overvolted GB 670 OC idles at 20% speed around 40C, and I never let it go above 50% fan speed while it stays under 65C load.

Maybe a dumb question, but how are you getting 20% fan speeds? I only ask because I'm using EVGA Precision and its locked at 40% (GTX 580).

Looks good, but may want to up the PSU with all those drives. The cooler is a decent one and would do well unless you want to go a little further and get a self enclosed water cooler.

Problem with the ram is not knowing exactly what the PC will be used for. How heavy / intensive are the programs going to be? I can tell you I have 32GB in my rig and I do a lot of virtualization and 32GB is barely enough.

Also... DAMN at those 512GB SSD's. I'm jealous.

Any recommendations on what wattage of a PSU to go for?

Also, the only reason I haven't gone with a self enclosed water cooler is because from what I've read on Anandtech, while those tend to be more helpful, they also tend to be louder, and he didn't really want that, unless there's a really good one that isn't too much louder from the cooler I have, I might stick with this one.

And he's going to be running a lot of intensive trading simulations using lots of variables at the same time, running over massive sample sets, basically. I'm really considering leaning towards 32 GB just considering what I've looked at that might need to be upgraded to which would cause a huge spike in price, but if this (well, with slight variation for upgrading the PSU/potentially the cooler) can suffice, then I'll go with that.

So the two fans in my case at the front started makin a weird noise.....So I blasted the shit out of it with can air. Alot of dust came out then the fans just stopped working. I switched the power cables around. Its in the front so its really hard to see whats going on, but is this a major issue with heat? Do I need to keep my computer off??? So I just have a back fan now....

Smokey

Been reading quite a few reviews on the GTX 780.

GTX 780 looks to be a great buy, but only if you're going to be playing at 2560x1440 or higher (IMO). When applied in that situation it really stretches its legs out over the GTX 680. Not far behind a Titan either which makes the $650 tag a little easier to swallow. If you're at 1920x1080 though I'd probably pass and see what the GTX 770 has to offer due to the price of the 780.

knitoe

Any recommendations on what wattage of a PSU to go for?

Also, the only reason I haven't gone with a self enclosed water cooler is because from what I've read on Anandtech, while those tend to be more helpful, they also tend to be louder, and he didn't really want that, unless there's a really good one that isn't too much louder from the cooler I have, I might stick with this one.

And he's going to be running a lot of intensive trading simulations using lots of variables at the same time, running over massive sample sets, basically. I'm really considering leaning towards 32 GB just considering what I've looked at that might need to be upgraded to which would cause a huge spike in price, but if this (well, with slight variation for upgrading the PSU/potentially the cooler) can suffice, then I'll go with that.

Shouldn't you be looking at a Intel 6 core & socket 2011 MB? The more cores would be worth for the workload. Plus, the socket 2011 offers 8 dimm slots making it easily to have 64GB of RAM.

You probably blew the bearings in your fans. You have to keep the blades still when you blow them with air.

fuuuuuuuudge, I don't know if I can open the case to get to that front fan?? Will my computer overheat and mess things up? Computer these days usally run pretty cool dont they? I am not doing any OC'n at all.

knitoe

fuuuuuuuudge, I don't know if I can open the case to get to that front fan?? Will my computer overheat and mess things up? Computer these days usally run pretty cool dont they? I am not doing any OC'n at all.

It might run warmer, but doubtful it will overheat. Run HWmonitor and see you temps.

mkenyon

Banned

GTX 780 looks to be a great buy, but only if you're going to be playing at 2560x1440 or higher (IMO). When applied in that situation it really stretches its legs out over the GTX 680. Not far behind a Titan either which makes the $650 tag a little easier to swallow. If you're at 1920x1080 though I'd probably pass and see what the GTX 770 has to offer due to the price of the 780.
What if you need to have the most baller card in your system?

Stop hating.

xJavonta

Banned
what are people feeling now both next gen systems are announced?

With games being cross gen for probably 2 more years... I'm feeling your average mid range card, which is what now, 560ti?, should be good for at least another year unless optimization goes to complete shit.

I was gonna upgrade, I really really really need to (pitiful 5670 1GB still hanging on), but I think I'll just be disappointed if I do it now with the new consoles coming out this year. Perhaps next year when new cards hit so I don't feel completely ripped off

Smash88

Banned

The thing is I'm extremely pissed off that the Titan doesn't gain at least 15-20fps increase over the GTX 780. In all reviews that I've read today. The difference was at best ~5fps. For $350 more, that is a joke.

I'm just mad at myself for not waiting longer.

I'm having to use Intel's IB stuff for this but Haswell won't change prices much when it launches.

Using the upper budget of £600

or

You'd be looking at systems similar to that. You could also stick a Hyper 212 Evo onto the AMD build and OC it.

Thanks, duder. That looks reasonable. I've never built a PC before but I've installed graphics cards, etc, and it seems okay.

I'm guessing I might need to update these items you've given me though as I'm not buying until next month and Haswell will be out, right?

dazzgc

Banned
OS question-

is windows 8 ok for gaming? or is windows 7 64bit still the way to go?

What are the pros and cons between windows 7 and 8? Can 8 run in "legacy" mode? i saw that UI and shuddered :/

kharma45

Thanks, duder. That looks reasonable. I've never built a PC before but I've installed graphics cards, etc, and it seems okay.

I'm guessing I might need to update these items you've given me though as I'm not buying until next month and Haswell will be out, right?

Watch a few videos, read a few articles and just take your time when building and you'll be fine if you do choose to do it.

Yeah it'll change next month when Haswell launches, prices will remain similar though.

OS question-

is windows 8 ok for gaming? or is windows 7 64bit still the way to go?

What are the pros and cons between windows 7 and 8? Can 8 run in "legacy" mode? i saw that UI and shuddered :/

8 is fine. You can run the OS solely in desktop mode if you wish and never visit the new Start should you so wish. At present you need a Start replacement to boot to desktop but the option should be coming in Windows 8.1.

The new Start is good though, don't let the looks put you off. It's worth giving it a try and if then you don't like it ignore it and install something like Classic Shell.

Alright so after reseating the 670's heat sink and testing out the furmark stress test, these are the results. I'm getting max 83 degrees normally and I tried removing the side panel and putting a fan next to it blowing through, max of 72 degrees then. So is that telling me I need better air flow? Should I put a side fan in as well? Thinking of ditching the fractal fans that came with the R3 and just buying 4 corsair AF 120's and putting two in front, one in back and even one in the side. Thoughts?

Shouldn't you be looking at a Intel 6 core & socket 2011 MB? The more cores would be worth for the workload. Plus, the socket 2011 offers 8 dimm slots making it easily to have 64GB of RAM.

I'm not entirely sure what to look for in that case, at least not sure what to look for that wouldn't also jack the price up dramatically. Hence why I'm asking for advice on the current build I listed and what else I could do for reasonable (well, for that type of price range) prices.

MedIC86

Anyone here thinks an X6 1100t will bottleneck a 780GTX? first i thought about upgrading my whole system to haswell, with a 7970 or something. but i could use those funds to keep what i have now (1100t @3.3ghz, 8gb ram) and go for a faster GPU. Im not sure what is wise to get the best performance in games.

Branson

So going from a 580-780 would be a pretty big jump I guess? I have a 2500k, that wouldn't cause a bottleneck I would think?
Game at 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom