• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
What is a good graphics card for 1080p 60fps gaming on Ultra settings with Modern games? I don't want to buy more than I need, but I want something good.
What's your budget?

I would recommend at least a GTX 670/680 if you're an Nvidia type individual

EDIT beaten

As the owner of an XL2420, you want the ASUS.

That Asus is using a better panel right now. Benq is also using the same panel in another cheaper monitor, the xl2411, but it seems to only be for sale in euroland. May get a xl2421 with that same 144Hz panel someday, but who knows. That is just speculation on my part.

Thanks! I can't wait to get rid of this 1600x900 monitor.

mkenyon

Banned
Dumb question about metal cases:

If your fans were to break, wouldn't it make the system hotter?
No, because they could then dissipate the heat via conduction. Aluminum more so.
Hey, been looking at building a desktop for the first time here and looking for opinions/suggestions.

Messing around with PCPartPicker and reading the first post has really helped out. Wondering if anyone has opinions on swapping P8Z77 Deluxe for Pro, or any case suggestions?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/datchairman/saved/1CyJ
Wait a few weeks for Haswell. June 3rd/4th.

kharma45

Thinking about upgrading from a radeon 6950 unlocked to the 6970 shaders. Is it worth upgrading? Thing runs pretty hot and loud.

Only you can tell when you need an upgrade, is it not giving you the performance you desire?

What is a good graphics card for 1080p 60fps gaming on Ultra settings with Modern games? I don't want to buy more than I need, but I want something good.

How much you got to spend?

Dumb question about metal cases:

If your fans were to break, wouldn't it make the system hotter?

Usually would.

Deku Tree

Any games in particular? You can't go wrong with 670/7970/680 and up

Lots of games. Mass Effect 3. Far Cry 3. Tomb Raider. GTA5. Beyond Good And Evil 2 (eventually). Etc.

What's your budget?

I would recommend at least a GTX 670/680 if you're an Nvidia type individual

EDIT beaten

Noob question. What is the big difference between Nvidia and AMD in terms of graphics cards?

How much you got to spend?

I have a good job. I can spend whatever I want within reason, really. But I don't like to throw money away, and I only want to buy what I will notice and enjoy.

Thanks!

kennah

@Kennah

Dude, T180 Gunmetal Grey!!!!!!!!!

T180G_03_l.jpg

CAN YOUR FRIEND BUY ME ONE!?

*edit*

oh man, sold out. I just died a little bit inside.

*edit 2*

Oh! They have the shiny black and silver still!

http://www.abee.co.jp/Store/product/acubic_t180.html

No. Mine. I'm gonna get one just to taunt you with it.

legacyzero

Banned
Noob question. What is the big difference between Nvidia and AMD in terms of graphics cards?

I've used both, and I prefer Nvidia for easier downsampling, better drivers, and it has all around been a better experience.

EDIT: LOL wtf? I can't quote for shit it seems.

I'm probably going to build a new PC this summer or this fall but I want a case that has handles. My current PC that I built in 2009 is in a Storm Scout case, which I love because it has handles which makes moving it around super easy.

So what cases have handles for easier mobility? So far I've found mostly Cooler Master cases- the Storm Scout 2, Storm Trooper, Storm Stryker and Cosmos II. Of those I'm leaning towards the Storm Stryker, but are there any other cases I should be looking at? Are there any smaller form factor cases with handles?

kharma45

Lots of games. Mass Effect 3. Far Cry 3. Tomb Raider. GTA5. Beyond Good And Evil 2 (eventually). Etc.

I have a good job. I can spend whatever I want within reason, really. But I don't like to throw money away, and I only want to buy what I will notice and enjoy.

Thanks!

Go for something out of the 670, 680, 780 or 7970.

770 is coming next week too.

What the actual fuck MSI? (erring on the side of NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0lrwoYRgw7g#

hilarious and sad

"No fear installing the CPU
wife material right there"

-Hazaro

just hilarious

Completed my first build over the weekend with an i5-3570k deal from Microcenter. It was a lot easier than expected, but also took some time. Spent about $1200 altogether. Looking forward to stream some games!

I got an EVGA 650 Ti Boost SC graphics card for it with the idea of upgrading 2-3 years from now as I needed. I also registered for the EVGA step-up program and have about 80 days or so to decided if I want to get a better card.

Thanks for the guide!

GHG

Gold Member
hilarious and sad

just hilarious

Completed my first build over the weekend with an i5-3570k deal from Microcenter. It was a lot easier than expected, but also some time. Spent about $1200 altogether. Looking forward to stream some games!

I got an EVGA 650 Ti Boost SC graphics card for it with the idea of upgrading 2-3 years from now as I needed. I also registered for the EVGA step-up program and have about 80 days or so to decided if I want to get a better card.

Thanks for the guide!

Nice, you'll have a very cheap potential upgrade path there in 6-12 months time if you chose to SLI (provided your motherboard supports it).

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Rumor is that AMD is doing the OEM only for HD 8000 and prepping for 20nm HD 9000 in December (probably paper launch, actual availability in January like HD 7000 in 2012). I'm probably going to do that. Postpone Rome Total War 2 playthrough, get "next gen" console(s) and then beast out my PC in 2014. This makes sense to me because AMD has a low R&D budget, so I doubt it's worth it for them to chase the minor redesign release and instead accelerate the real redesign. Engineers can focus in on a single release allowing it to be earlier while they avoid all of the logistical costs of multiple, nearly frivolous, models.

I'm guessing Nvidia will counter with GTX 780 OC + 4-5 GB RAM and do Maxwell mid 2014. Complete out of my ass speculation.

Now what to play in the meantime...man slim pickings.

kennah

Man, just having bad luck with MacBooks these days. The 1TB drive that I put in the one Scogoth sent me kicked the bucket today. Last backup is more than a month old. Lost some work stuff plus some videos of the kids and such. Sad panda. DiskWarrior didn't help, going to try some other restore software to see if that'll help. But yeah...

So - don't trust hard drives kids! This was a WD Blue that was manufactured in February.

demented

Currently have my 7970 fan set up in msi afterburner at 1c=1%, it's usually under 40 when idleing, not sure what's ingame but I see it going faster.
Is this good enough or is there a better fan curve?

thinking about upgrading my CPU, currently running AMD Athlon II x4 640 ...what can i upgrade to with a $300-$400 budget? I'm looking at the AMD FX 8150..should i even bother with new AMD chip? I heard good thing about them and they do offer more bang for the dollar...or should i go i5 or i7? I don't need a new graphic card yet, still running an AMD 7850 which does it job for me...

GHG

Gold Member
thinking about upgrading my CPU, currently running AMD Athlon II x4 640 ...what can i upgrade to with a $300-$400 budget? I'm looking at the AMD FX 8150..should i even bother with new AMD chip? I heard good thing about them and they do offer more bang for the dollar...or should i go i5 or i7? I don't need a new graphic card yet, still running an AMD 7850 which does it job for me...

To be honest I'd hold off until the end of the year if I were you to see how the 1st batch of next gen games are coded and what CPU's are coping better. I personally think that people with 8 core AMD processors will be in a good position but time will tell. I'm kind of worried about my i5 and how it will cope.

To be honest I'd hold off until the end of the year if I were you to see how the 1st batch of next gen games are coded and what CPU's are coping better. I personally think that people with 8 core AMD processors will be in a good position but time will tell. I'm kind of worried about my i5 and how it will cope.

interesting...i did see somewhere on some comparison video on youtube where they stated some games run better on AMD chip, and they said some game engine works better on AMD, especially newer generation engines ....i guess i'll wait and see, im in no rush ..thanks

kennah

interesting...i did see somewhere on some comparison video on youtube where they stated some games run better on AMD chip, and they said some game engine works better on AMD, especially newer generation engines ....i guess i'll wait and see, im in no rush ..thanks
There is one video that is full of shit and tests that can't be duplicated

So apparently my issue is a LOUD PSU fan. I switched on the PC and stopped the CPU, GPU and back fans by hand...sound coming from PSU area.

Any ideas?

What PSU do you have in your system? If it bothered me enough, I would replace it with a quieter one. You could always sell the one you have now.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I knew I was going to screw something up when building my first computer. I finally plugged everything in and there is no display on my TV when I power on. I'm doing this through HDMI. The power is working because the fans turn on and the LED in the front is on. Any suggestions on what to check in order to get it working?

DTKT

I knew I was going to screw something up when building my first computer. I finally plugged everything in and there is no display on my TV when I power on. I'm doing this through HDMI. The power is working because the fans turn on and the LED in the front is on. Any suggestions on what to check in order to get it working?

Try the DVI/VGA port with a monitor, you might need to install the most recent drivers to enable HDMI out.

zeelman

So now my computer gives BSODs when downloading stuff. I was just downloading Defiance from Steam when it happened. I did some Googling and this can be caused by a variety of issues, from hardware failure to bad software. I have the newest BIOS for my motherboard, along with the newest drivers for my ethernet and audio. I guess I'll try updating my graphics card again and see if that helps.

I just read the crash dump and it says GRAPHICS_DRIVER_TDR_FAULT. I'm currently on Geforce Drivers 314.22. "314.22 problems" comes up right away in Google with this particular error message as well. I hope these new drivers work properly.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Are the non-Modular versions of the PSUs listed on the OP just as good? I mean, is the the Seasonic S12II-620 (SS-620GB) Bronze just as good as the SeaSonic M12II-650 (SS-650AM)?
Is the Corsair TX650 just as good as the AX650 (as I understand, both are built by SeaSonic)?

I don't live in the US and modular alone is a 60+ dollars difference.

I'm leaning towards the Corsair. I don't even need that much power, 600w would be good, but I just want to be safely on the 80 percentile.

Mad Max

Are the non-Modular versions of the PSUs listed on the OP just as good? I mean, is the the Seasonic S12II-620 (SS-620GB) Bronze just as good as the SeaSonic M12II-650 (SS-650AM)?
Is the Corsair TX650 just as good as the AX650 (as I understand, both are built by SeaSonic)?

I don't live in the US and modular alone is a 60+ dollars difference.

I'm leaning towards the Corsair. I don't even need that much power, 600w would be good, but I just want to be safely on the 80 percentile.

I have a TX650 V2 (non modular) which is made by seasonic and I'd say it's a pretty decent PSU overall. However my first unit came with a faulty fan controller (the fan ran at full speed all the time), which is a common complaint for this model around the net. Still, I got a brand new unit from corsair within a week and that one is pretty much dead silent.

But the AX models should definitely be a bit better, although I'm not too sure about the real world performance difference between them. The claimed efficiency of the AX models is much higher though (80plus bronze vs platinum).

demonkaze

I'm still looking at the pre-built gaming PC's and i was wondering just how much better the 680 over the 670? I've found a good deal on scan.co.uk but it comes without a monitor (something i'm gonna need) and is around £1350 and comes with the 680 http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ConfigureSystem.asp?SystemID=1430#

The other one I was looking at was on Yoyotech.co.uk and it's a bit cheaper (which I could do with truth be told) but comes with the 670 and this one does include a monitor (http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ConfigureSystem.asp?SystemID=1430#).

I'm looking at playing most games on the highest settings so I don't want to take a massive hit for the sake of £200 (although getting a monitor is gonna add to the first option a lot more).

GHG

Gold Member
I'm still looking at the pre-built gaming PC's and i was wondering just how much better the 680 over the 670? I've found a good deal on scan.co.uk but it comes without a monitor (something i'm gonna need) and is around £1350 and comes with the 680 http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ConfigureSystem.asp?SystemID=1430#

The other one I was looking at was on Yoyotech.co.uk and it's a bit cheaper (which I could do with truth be told) but comes with the 670 and this one does include a monitor (http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ConfigureSystem.asp?SystemID=1430#).

I'm looking at playing most games on the highest settings so I don't want to take a massive hit for the sake of £200 (although getting a monitor is gonna add to the first option a lot more).

The difference between the 670 and 680 is certainly not worth £200.

I just bought some more case fans and I'm wondering what the best config is. Have an option to have up to 5 fans if needed, I'm not happy with my gpu's temps. I have the Define R3.

demonkaze

The difference between the 670 and 680 is certainly not worth £200.

In that case, where is a good place to get a decent monitor for a good price, I was looking at Ebuyer for monitors (I'm in the UK if it helps), i'd like a 3D vision one at some point but that can wait for a while.

GHG

Gold Member
In that case, where is a good place to get a decent monitor for a good price, I was looking at Ebuyer for monitors (I'm in the UK if it helps), i'd like a 3D vision one at some point but that can wait for a while.

Try overclockers or amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom