• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meteorain

Yeah Yodel can be a bunch of useless fucks, and City Link too. If there is ever the option for DPD I always take it.

The worst part is that I ordered the RAM and the mobo at the same time, in one order. Somehow they managed to use parcelforce for the mobo and yodel for the ram. I just do not understand that. Even then, parcelforce dropped off the mobo at my nearest post office, whilst ebuyer dont allow yodel to do that. What?

kharma45

The worst part is that I ordered the RAM and the mobo at the same time, in one order. Somehow they managed to use parcelforce for the mobo and yodel for the ram. I just do not understand that. Even then, parcelforce dropped off the mobo at my nearest post office, whilst ebuyer dont allow yodel to do that. What?

Could be because Parcel Force is owned by Royal Mail.

Eh, I got my Titan for $750. I'm happy spending an extra $100 for the better performance, more VRAM, better computational performance, and knowing I have "the best."

But I agree - I did expect the Titan to beat the 780 by AT LEAST 10% across the board; not 3-8%.

I ended up getting my Titan for $800 and I dont mind spending the extra $$.

Well my puter is all built now. Once I assembled everything and turned it on, it wouldn't boot up. Forgot to connect the 8-pin power cord to the mobo xD

Was having some OC issues at first but all seemed to have went away after I did a BIOS update. Hopefully all is well.

Now for the fun part: redownloading my Steam, Origin, and Battle.Net games -.-

Meteorain

Could be because Parcel Force is owned by Royal Mail.
Most likely explains the allowance of a drop off. Still not they would separate my order. Nor why they would use Yodel which apparently has been known for a while to be shit. Just so pissed at this ridculous situation. I told the guy to ring up the driver and tell him he can leave it with my neigbour but they refused.

Just whatever. I really do hope after this I never have to use Yodel again. Infwct I may call once I order something and specify they do not use them :lol

kharma45

Most likely explains the allowance of a drop off. Still not they would separate my order. Nor why they would use Yodel which apparently has been known for a while to be shit. Just so pissed at this ridculous situation. I told the guy to ring up the driver and tell him he can leave it with my neigbour but they refused.

Just whatever. I really do hope after this I never have to use Yodel again. Infwct I may call once I order something and specify they do not use them :lol

It'd be nice if sites let you choose the courier that stuff comes with. I believe that both Dabs and Overclockers do, or at least one of them.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
What do you mean what even? The difference in frames between a GTX 780 and Titan is roughly 5fps in multiple games. The Titan of course being the superior card.

I was never expecting the GTX 780 to literally be on par in some games or lacking by barely 5fps in multiple games. There is no point in buying a Titan now.

I knew it was relatively on par with a titan but I didn't know it was a matter of 5 fps.

mhayze

Apparently the GTX 770 is out next Thursday. I'm hoping it's 399, essentially dropping the price of a 680 by $100. The 760ti should be interesting too.

It's been a few days since my Modmic arrived, and I have to say, it is an impressive microphone. I bought it for $37. It arrived in 4 or 5 days.

My friends have been saying my mic sounds good on vent and in-game voice chat.
I am absolutely satisfied with the quality of sound, after trying some recordings.
The first thing I noticed, it is actually very small and lightweight. The length of the mic was just enough to reach the corner of my mouth, despite my long face (lol).

The only thing I would like improved is the quality of the steel frame+ the rubber housing of this frame. It gets ripped, as the holder gnaws on the housing and tears it away.
Overall a very good purchase though!

Gspark

With the Nvidia 700 series coming out as well as the new Intel CPU update coming out, is it safe to say to wait on building a new computer if my budget is $800?

kennah

Your best bet is to grab some amazing deals on used parts.

Look for
2500k with motherboard for around 200-250
670 for around 300
Get new ram for 65
Find an 840 120gig on sale for 90
Case 50-100
Good psu for $90

And bam. Amazing computer for cheap.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
So I got everything put together, only to realize that I don't have a power cable for the PSU. It says the AC input is 115V/230V, 8A/4A, 50/60Hz.

All of the cords I have are labeled 10A, 125V. I'm too afraid to plug any of them in, but I can't find the correct cable online. Am I screwed?

GHG

Gold Member
So i was thinking about flipping my 660 sli setup for a single 780... Then i saw the prices for a 780 here in the uk... Madness. I think I'll be ok for a long while. I'd be shelling out £300 for what is effectively a sidegrade. The pricing on nvidia's side has gotten out of hand.

kennah

So I got everything put together, only to realize that I don't have a power cable for the PSU. It says the AC input is 115V/230V, 8A/4A, 50/60Hz.

All of the cords I have are labeled 10A, 125V. I'm too afraid to plug any of them in, but I can't find the correct cable online. Am I screwed?
... They are standard. The numbers on the psu tell you the voltages it will work with. 115v @ 60 hz is north america, 230v@ 50 is uk/a chunk of europe. The numbers on your cable tell it's maximum safe rating. 125v at 10 amps. Since your power supply says it will draw a maximum if 8 amps you are well under its rating.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's been a few days since my Modmic arrived, and I have to say, it is an impressive microphone. I bought it for $37. It arrived in 4 or 5 days.

My friends have been saying my mic sounds good on vent and in-game voice chat.
I am absolutely satisfied with the quality of sound, after trying some recordings.
The first thing I noticed, it is actually very small and lightweight. The length of the mic was just enough to reach the corner of my mouth, despite my long face (lol).

The only thing I would like improved is the quality of the steel frame+ the rubber housing of this frame. It gets ripped, as the holder gnaws on the housing and tears it away.
Overall a very good purchase though!
Did you get the v2 or v3?
I've tried both and prefer the v2. Do you have an audio sample?

Can anyone recommend a cable wrap? Thinking about getting the cheapest one I can find.
Saw that Herman Miller slinky on eBay which was quite cute but even as a used office supply it's too much for something I would never look at.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm gaming on a 1080p TV, could I get advice on this planned setup as to whether it'll last me a good while?

-7870 2gb
-FX 4170 4.2ghz
-8gb DDR3 1600
-970 chip set mobo

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If you're going AMD get an FX 6300 over that. And a 7870 XT/Tahiti LE card instead.

Hmm, so a six core at 3.5 is better than a quad at 4.2? Interesting, I should think about that.

@Kennah

Dude, T180 Gunmetal Grey!!!!!!!!!

T180G_03_l.jpg
I wish I'd never seen this. It's like my perfect case and it'll cost too much to get over here.

Coldsnap

If anyone is upgrading their mobotherboard to haswell and selling their old one hit me up. Need something to over clock my i5 2500k.

MedIC86

for Haswell im looking for an MSI motherboard this time (had mostly asus and gigabyte my whole life). MSI nowadays is good right ?(and for the record i had both ASUS and gigabyte mobo's die on me in the past).

I really hate the fact that some company's are brining back fans/active cooling on the haswell motherboards. Eventually they get really noisy or die.

Addnan

for Haswell im looking for an MSI motherboard this time (had mostly asus and gigabyte my whole life). MSI nowadays is good right ?(and for the record i had both ASUS and gigabyte mobo's die on me in the past).

I really hate the fact that some company's are brining back fans/active cooling on the haswell motherboards. Eventually they get really noisy or die.

MSI is good, one of the more bang for your buck motherboards. I have had them in my last few builds. No problems so far and my GD65 with 3570K overclocks really well!

Their top end boards are good too, the mpower is one of the more recommended ones in here.

MedIC86

MSI is good, one of the more bang for your buck motherboards. I have had them in my last few builds. No problems so far and my GD65 with 3570K overclocks really well!

Their top end boards are good too, the mpower is one of the more recommended ones in here.

Thanks, im looking at the MSI Z87A-GD65 Gaming, feature set looks pretty good for the price.

Also, maybe anyone who has a better knowledge of audio can answer this. I believe gigabyte is coming with this new audio chip and were you could change the amps etc. But a seperate soundcard will always be better then what a motherboard can provide right?

Better upgrade, second 670 if they go down in price, or haswell i7 from i5 2500k? I was going to go second 670 a couple months ago, but I decided to wait until haswell and 700 series.

Atomski

So I am starting to look into buying a new PC. Im pretty behind the times on hardware.

Looking at videocards what is the best bang for my buck around 300 dollars?

iavi

So I am starting to look into buying a new PC. Im pretty behind the times on hardware.

You can probably find people unloading their 7970s and 680s for 300 in the BST thread or on ebay. 780 time.

Otherwise a 7950 is the best value card out there.

chrono01

I've had my current PC for a while now, and I'm looking to upgrade. A lot of the components are outdated, so I'm thinking of getting a brand new rig.

But here's the thing, I don't play many PC games at all [the majority of my time is spent on the consoles]. However, I have Final Fantasy XIV pre-ordered and I'm really looking forward to it, so whatever I get I'd like to be able to run it near maximum if I could.

I'm not planning on doing anything for a few months, since FFXIV's release isn't until August. I'm mostly trying to put together a list of the components so that I can plan/budget my money accordingly.

If someone could recommend me some parts to achieve my goal, it would be greatly appreciated.

If not, well, no harm in asking! >:)

So I have a check incoming next friday, it's going to be PHAT. I want to build a brand new gaming rig for myself. I tried searching on newegg and amazon for a 900~ dollar pc build, but honestly, being a noob, I feel like i am not doing this correctly? Can someone help me out a bit?

I want a BEAST of a computer. I want to run battlefield 4 on ultra with no problem, is that possible with a 900 dollar pc? Any tips and what not?

Smokey

So I have a check incoming next friday, it's going to be PHAT. I want to build a brand new gaming rig for myself. I tried searching on newegg and amazon for a 900~ dollar pc build, but honestly, being a noob, I feel like i am not doing this correctly? Can someone help me out a bit?

I want a BEAST of a computer. I want to run battlefield 4 on ultra with no problem, is that possible with a 900 dollar pc? Any tips and what not?

Look at the builds in the OP...specifically the Enhanced build as that is right around your budget....start there and if you have questions about certain parts ask away.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm gaming on a 1080p TV, could I get advice on this planned setup as to whether it'll last me a good while?

-7870 2gb
-FX 4170 4.2ghz
-8gb DDR3 1600
-970 chip set mobo
Fill out the OP.

Thanks, im looking at the MSI Z87A-GD65 Gaming, feature set looks pretty good for the price.

Also, maybe anyone who has a better knowledge of audio can answer this. I believe gigabyte is coming with this new audio chip and were you could change the amps etc. But a seperate soundcard will always be better then what a motherboard can provide right?
Correct, and I believe so.
Better upgrade, second 670 if they go down in price, or haswell i7 from i5 2500k? I was going to go second 670 a couple months ago, but I decided to wait until haswell and 700 series.
Both are not really large upgrades. You can look at going to a 780 I guess, and see how well Haswell OCs.

I'm not planning on doing anything for a few months, since FFXIV's release isn't until August. I'm mostly trying to put together a list of the components so that I can plan/budget my money accordingly.

If someone could recommend me some parts to achieve my goal, it would be greatly appreciated.
Come back then, and with a budget.

No.
Also, fill out the OP.

Did you get the v2 or v3?
I've tried both and prefer the v2. Do you have an audio sample?

Yeah, got the 2.0. I agree, I didn't really like the muffled quality of the 3.0 samples (although never tried).
I will try to post an audio sample despite my accent lol.

I tried asking in Tech Support thread, but no help...I'm having an issue where some of my files are playing incorrectly. In that, I play Spider-Man and it plays an episode of Home Movies. Not all my files are like this, but a decent amount are. Is this something that can be repaired easily? My drive has no physical errors on it.

Foxyone

Out of curiosity, how might the cost of PC gaming compare to the cost of console gaming in the long run? You have to pay a lot up front for PC gaming and some upgrades every now and again, while consoles are initially cheaper, but they charge you over time for subscriptions and games are more expensive for longer + less deals. How might it usually pan out in terms of price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom