• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newline

I believe my brother had a similar problem with his build. For him it was his processor which he had replaced and that solved it. You may have to look at the CPU or mobo at this point I believe.

Yeah seems like that is the case, thanks! He will be returning them both in the next couple of days :)

zychi

Banned
I have a question, that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to.

I have 4 slots for ram, I originally had 4x2gb ddr3s in there.
I just bought 2x8gb, and installed them. I now have 20gb ram(i plan on getting the another 2x8gb in the future)

I'm fine with leaving it at 20gb right? Nothing terrible is going to happen? I always see 2gb/4gb/8gb/16gb/32gb in people's machines, so I was just hoping I'm correct with my odd ball RAM amount

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I have a question, that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to.

I have 4 slots for ram, I originally had 4x2gb ddr3s in there.
I just bought 2x8gb, and installed them. I now have 20gb ram(i plan on getting the another 2x8gb in the future)

I'm fine with leaving it at 20gb right? Nothing terrible is going to happen? I always see 2gb/4gb/8gb/16gb/32gb in people's machines, so I was just hoping I'm correct with my odd ball RAM amount

I'd guess that if they're paired correctly (slots 1 and 3 for the 2x4 and 2 and 4 for the 2x16) you wouldn't have a problem.

The timing difference between them would be more of a problem than the actual number, i'd think. Some mobos are more sensitive than others in that regard. I don't know if in that configuration your entire system is bottlenecked by the slower ram of the two, but I'd guess yes.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Would I be better off just removing the 2x2gb and having two slots filled with 2x8gb?

There's an old saying that no motherboard likes to have all their memory banks filled.

Unless you're running some heavily Database Servers or Video editing, the difference between 16 and 20 is minimal.

I'd probably run at 40, but at any sign of problem, removing those 2 4 sticks would be the first thing I'd do.

Also, do a double check on the timings of the ram modules (try downloading CPUz if you don't want to crack open your case again, as CPUz will show the SPD mode your ram is running at and the SPD speeds the ram support per slot). Depending on the speeds, the 8 gig could be bringing your overall memory access down.

Would I be better off just removing the 2x2gb and having two slots filled with 2x8gb?
Unless you really need that 4GB, you should go with 2x8GB. Doing that should improve your overall reliability by easing the load on your memory controller and may improve your bandwidth/memory latency.

zychi

Banned
I appreciate the help guys, should I have the 2x8gb plugged into specific slots? Like a previous poster said, should I do Slot 1 and Slot 3? Or does it not matter overall? I have it setup like this right now"

knitoe

I appreciate the help guys, should I have the 2x8gb plugged into specific slots? Like a previous poster said, should I do Slot 1 and Slot 3? Or does it not matter overall? I have it setup like this right now"

Both in the same color coded ram slots, usually 1/3 or 2/4, assuming it's a dual channel MB.

Depends on the board. 1/3 or 1/2 is best depending on which slots are set up together for dual channeling. Check your motherboard's manual if you have it.

Most of the time, they'll be the same color slot. I've seen a couple boards that didn't do that, though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Check your motherboard manual to see if you have DualChannel support.

Dual Channel means that your system can both read and write to the ram at the same time. Usually, the ram sticks need to be installed in specific slots for that.

That's usually why there's two color slots on the ram banks. You're supposed to match the colors with the ram sticks you're putting into them. USe this image as an example:

06_memory.jpg

The 2x8 sticks should go on the Blue slots while the 2x4 sticks should go on the black slots (or vice-versa).

however, some motherboards are the opposite and you're supposed to put them on DIFFERENT colors (those are older motherboards and that's no longer a thing, afaik). That's why you really should check your motherboard manual.

For gaming and stuff, I wouldn't bother with the extra 4 gigs - they'll just stress the memory controller and most certainly one of those sets of RAM will run at a slower pace (as I doubt they're the same specs).

Is the 500$ build in the OP still pretty good? My room mate wants to get into PC gaming after the abysmal Xbone announcement (he's hardcore 360 guy). Currently he's juggling buying a pre built from Cyberpower and sticking with that until he can guy a beefier GPU around Christmas time.

Thoughts?

kennah

Is the 500$ build in the OP still pretty good? My room mate wants to get into PC gaming after the abysmal Xbone announcement (he's hardcore 360 guy). Currently he's juggling buying a pre built from Cyberpower and sticking with that until he can guy a beefier GPU around Christmas time.

Thoughts?

Wait a couple weeks. New stuff is coming out.

I have another question. I built my PC about 5 or so years ago, and I'm thinking of upgrading the CPU, right now I have an Intel Core i5 650 3.20GHz and my motherboard is an ASUS P7P55D. Do you guys think my cpu is good for awhile yet?

DagsJT

Anyone know the url to download Windows 8 Pro 64-bit iso? Trying to do a reinstall using the built-in options but it says files are missing and I need the install media.

Edit: Nevermind.

kennah

I have another question. I built my PC about 5 or so years ago, and I'm thinking of upgrading the CPU, right now I have an Intel Core i5 650 3.20GHz and my motherboard is an ASUS P7P55D. Do you guys think my cpu is good for awhile yet?

Are you overclocked? You could find a Socket 1156 i7 and drop it in there for probably 100-150. Might give you a little bit of a boost. What do you have a for a GPU and are you satisfied with the performance you're getting? Your CPU is right on the edge of keep/replace. If you're happy with it you can probably keep it for a while. If you aren't, Haswell and it's new socket would be a good upgrade.

Are you overclocked? You could find a Socket 1156 i7 and drop it in there for probably 100-150. Might give you a little bit of a boost. What do you have a for a GPU and are you satisfied with the performance you're getting? Your CPU is right on the edge of keep/replace. If you're happy with it you can probably keep it for a while. If you aren't, Haswell and it's new socket would be a good upgrade.

No, I haven't overclocked. My graphics card is a GeForce GTX 460, I do plan on upgrading that in the next few months. I can run most of the older games on high/max settings, but I'm starting to notice that some of the newer games I can't run on max anymore. Another thing I'm planning on doing is getting into livestreaming, so I want to have enough power for doing that as well.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible my PC isn't working because I didn't use the standoffs when putting my motherboard in the case? Some were already in the case where I screwed it in but not all of them. I hope I didn't fry everything.

Addnan

Is it possible my PC isn't working because I didn't use the standoffs when putting my motherboard in the case? Some were already in the case where I screwed it in but not all of them. I hope I didn't fry everything.

Yes, open it up and line up the stand offs that are needed and the ones that are needed only (The holes that line up). The motherboard will short out if it is not placed properly.

Manp

you have to arrange them to match the holes on the motherboard. if you left some there where they're not supposed to be yes you can fry the motherboard.

just take it out and start all over.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, open it up and line up the stand offs that are needed and the ones that are needed only (The holes that line up). The motherboard will short out if it is not placed properly.

you have to arrange them to match the holes on the motherboard. if you left some there where they're not supposed to be yes you can fry the motherboard.

just take it out and start all over.

If the CPU fan is running does that mean the mobo didn't fry?

mkenyon

Banned
Today is a good day.

I just got an offer for a straight trade, Titan for my 690.

I also put an offer on this, my future back yard.

EbE57AE.jpg

It goes to that treeline in the distance :p

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Today is a good day.

I just got an offer for a straight trade, Titan for my 690.

I also put an offer on this, my future back yard.

EbE57AE.jpg

It goes to that treeline in the distance :p

Congratulations, man! That's a freaking killer backyard. Awesome.

Sure dwarfs my exciting delivery :(

8829403684_b3f0dcbba8_c.jpg

But that's okay, a house should be more exciting. Hope it works out for ya!

Smash88

Banned
I really hate EVGA.

They are making me open the package, then register the Titan, in order for me to get a refund and I have to pay $60 to ship it back. On top of that I have to wait 2 weeks for a refund.

This whole thing has been a nightmare. This is why I hate ordering parts online. Nothing but trouble and a money sink.

Never ordering from EVGA again, never ordering Online again. I hate this.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I'm getting this 660 for my build but I'm being recommended to jump it to a 670 card. What would be a good 670 that will work out well without a massive price jump?
Wait a week for Haswell. Don't buy a dead socket.

On GPU, a 660/660Ti is a great card. Also look at a 7950 for much better performance/$.

I like the Gigabyte 670 a lot.

Thoughts?
It is, and unless any information changes regarding Haswell i3 launch it'll stay there.
I really hate EVGA.

They are making me open the package, then register the Titan, in order for me to get a refund and I have to pay $60 to ship it back. On top of that I have to wait 2 weeks for a refund.

This whole thing has been a nightmare. This is why I hate ordering parts online. Nothing but trouble and a money sink.

This is why Amazon is first on the list of US part sellers.

eVGA does have a good warranty policy, but will try and sort out everything before hand which can be frustrating. You shouldn't have to pay back shipping fees, I'd have asked for a higher up.

Omiee

PC GAF i need some help

I have some files and folders in my pc in my libraries that i can share.

Is it possible for people outside my wifi to connect to my files and view them? Or only people that are connected trough my modem or wifi?

Same goes for my mybook live. I have it hooked on to my modem and can view said external hdd on my ps3 and ipad etc. Is it possible for people outside my wifi and modem to view what is on my mybook live?

Mad Max

Congratulations, man! That's a freaking killer backyard. Awesome.

Sure dwarfs my exciting delivery :(

8829403684_b3f0dcbba8_c.jpg

But that's okay, a house should be more exciting. Hope it works out for ya!

Those are some familiar looking boxes:). I remember thinking I got shafted with a 10yo refurb unit, when I first saw that VP655 box. Turns out alphacool hasn't learned the magic of nice packaging.

Have fun!

kennah

I really hate EVGA.

Sorry dude. This one is all on you. Everyone has been talking about new cards soon for weeks but you go ahead and buy a thousand dollar card anyway? It's a lesson.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
That's what I gleamed. Basically only the super low voltage states matter, but I wasn't sure what 'not supported' actually entailed.

Thank you Cooler Master, hopefully we'll see some of this information confirmed by others.

Smash88

Banned
Sorry dude. This one is all on you. Everyone has been talking about new cards soon for weeks but you go ahead and buy a thousand dollar card anyway? It's a lesson.

I know it's on me, but I never figured the there would be a difference of ~5fps between the Titan and GTX 780. It's absurd that that even exists. I figured the Titan would at least be ~15-20fps better, but this is ridiculous. Oh well, lesson learnt.

What even?

0rqcbJc.png

What do you mean what even? The difference in frames between a GTX 780 and Titan is roughly 5fps in multiple games. The Titan of course being the superior card.

I was never expecting the GTX 780 to literally be on par in some games or lacking by barely 5fps in multiple games. There is no point in buying a Titan now.

Meteorain

Yodel surely is the worst courier company I have ever come across.

Delivery was supposed to be on monday, I get a notification that I was supposed to have received my package at 10am friday but apparently I was not in. Except I was. So fuck that firstly. Then I go to the depot today (saturday) to collect it, but the guy at the reception tells me that they went out to be dispatched again today, but they will try to deliver it twice. I wont get back in time for the first one because the van would be there soon, but no worries the guy would try again later. If it does not arrive by 5 to call them. So 5 goes buy and I call them, guy tells me no worries they deliver up to 10 o clock. It is quarter past 12 and fucking nothing. Not even a little card to say they missed me again or something.

So now I have my computer fixed and ready to go, but no RAM. Cannot not even use my old stuff because thats ddr2. So basically fuck Ebuyer for using Yodel, and especially fuck them for not using the policy of allowing that shit to be dropped off with the neighbour.

Bank holiday weekend as well. Will have to wait till tuesday. GG.

Anyone else ever had experience with this courier company?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Eh, I got my Titan for $750. I'm happy spending an extra $100 for the better performance, more VRAM, better computational performance, and knowing I have "the best."

But I agree - I did expect the Titan to beat the 780 by AT LEAST 10% across the board; not 3-8%.

kharma45

Yodel surely is the worst courier company I have ever come across.

Delivery was supposed to be on monday, I get a notification that I was supposed to have received my package at 10am friday but apparently I was not in. Except I was. So fuck that firstly. Then I go to the depot today (saturday) to collect it, but the guy at the reception tells me that they went out to be dispatched again today, but they will try to deliver it twice. I wont get back in time for the first one because the van would be there soon, but no worries the guy would try again later. If it does not arrive by 5 to call them. So 5 goes buy and I call them, guy tells me no worries they deliver up to 10 o clock. It is quarter past 12 and fucking nothing. Not even a little card to say they missed me again or something.

So now I have my computer fixed and ready to go, but no RAM. Cannot not even use my old stuff because thats ddr2. So basically fuck Ebuyer for using Yodel, and especially fuck them for not using the policy of allowing that shit to be dropped off with the neighbour.

Bank holiday weekend as well. Will have to wait till tuesday. GG.

Anyone else ever had experience with this courier company?

Yeah Yodel can be a bunch of useless fucks, and City Link too. If there is ever the option for DPD I always take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom