• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

Gold Member
There haven't been any conclusive tests that demonstrate the 680/770 (it's the same card) performs better with 4GB than 2GB, even when memory is pushed to the limit. It has a fairly limited memory bandwidth, which reduces it's performance when it's memory is tapped out.

BUT, it might end up performing better. There's just no way to say for sure.

Will you be playing any games with Mods (e.g. Skyrim) or doing any downsampling? Do you plan to go SLI in the future?

If your answer is no to the 2 questions above, you're at 1080p and only plan on keeping it for 1.5 years then go for the 2GB.

Xdrive05

Was not expecting much out of Haswell, but the reviews left me disappointed anyway. I figured we'd see much better OC'ing this time around.

Durante

I have a question that seems best suited for this thread: have we had any indication of when Intel and/or AMD plan to go DDR4 on the desktop?

abunai

tock, a very marginal at that.

booooo.

booooooooooooooooooooo.

Oh well, Skylake it is then. Not that I'm CPU limited in anything currently. Although I imagine overclocking will continue to be disappointing with the die shrinks going down to 14nm.

I have a question that seems best suited for this thread: have we had any indication of when Intel and/or AMD plan to go DDR4 on the desktop?

RAM profit margins are tight so they'll be unlikely to do it for a while. IIRC samsung already makes 16GB DDR4 DIMMs for server clusters, but for the consumer space I believe it's coming 2015~

GHG

Gold Member

Its been said that Intel will next time round with Skylake. We will also likely see 6/8 core mainstream/high end CPU's from them as well.

RoKKeR

Very interesting point SpyGuy, just when I thought I was decided!

However, I feel that by the time 2GB is on it's way oit and 4GB is becoming the norm, I'll be looking to upgrade my 770. And considering I'm not a super enthusiast, the possible performance hit from not having 4GB won't be a big deal to me. Might as well save the $40-50 to get some great games for the summer before next gen hits.

nbthedude

Its been said that Intel will next time round with Skylake. We will also likely see 6/8 core mainstream/high end CPU's from them as well.

That sounds great.

I'm going to try to get another year out of my old Lynfield and wait for that.

I'm still on high settings for everything. I can deal with some "medium" for a while.

longdi

Banned
well coh2 at only 1920x1200 uses up to 2.66gb of vram...at full settings and 200% game resolution (supersampling).

without supersampling, it still hits up to 2.3gb of vram.

Guys, what would you say is the Haswell/1150 equivalent of the ASUS Z77 V-Lk motherboard? The ASUS Z87-A looks about the same as far as I can tell, but I am still new to this. NCIX US has that board and the i5 4670k in stock, so I could go ahead and order at any time. I'm kind of nervous, and wondering if I should wait for more information to come in before committing.

SpyGuy239

Very interesting point SpyGuy, just when I thought I was decided!

However, I feel that by the time 2GB is on it's way oit and 4GB is becoming the norm, I'll be looking to upgrade my 770. And considering I'm not a super enthusiast, the possible performance hit from not having 4GB won't be a big deal to me. Might as well save the $40-50 to get some great games for the summer before next gen hits.

agree with you on this as well!

to be honest, I hardly notice any difference between Ultra and High on BF3 so the 1GB wasn't the worst thing in the world. I did have to turn down the AA on some games though. But yes, you'll be fine with the 2GB for at least 6 months if not the next year or two I believe :)

Also, have you seen that reference 770? That' silver heat sink looks...phenomenal!

[IMG=900x675]http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2013/05/nvidia-geforce-gtx-770-2gb-review/Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-770-04.jpg[/IMG]

MedIC86

well coh2 at only 1920x1200 uses up to 2.66gb of vram...at full settings and 200% game resolution (supersampling).

without supersampling, it still hits up to 2.3gb of vram.

Its still in beta, a lot of games get optimized a lot later on. Also the game recommends 512mb ram per official system req, so 2gb will be enough.

Should I go with 3930K instead of Haswell? (first build)

Depends on what you want and how much time you want to spend reading about ocing and all that stuff.

RoKKeR

agree with you on this as well!

to be honest, I hardly notice any difference between Ultra and High on BF3 so the 1GB wasn't the worst thing in the world. I did have to turn down the AA on some games though. But yes, you'll be fine with the 2GB for at least 6 months if not the next year or two I believe :)

Also, have you seen that reference 770? That' silver heat sink looks...phenomenal!

Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-770-04.jpg
Yeah, the reference is sexy as hell. Can't find any place that's selling them though and the ACX cooling solution on that EVGA dual fan I linked earlier looks rad.

SpyGuy239

Its still in beta, a lot of games get optimized a lot later on. Also the game recommends 512mb ram per official system req, so 2gb will be enough.

Depends on what you want and how much time you want to spend reading about ocing and all that stuff.

I think the important question with this age old 2gb or 4gb ram question is how future proof do you want to go/is it really future proof at all?

and How much AA do you want? Do you like supersampling?

GHG

Gold Member
That sounds great.

I'm going to try to get another year out of my old Lynfield and wait for that.

I'm still on high settings for everything. I can deal with some "medium" for a while.

Yep, I plan on keeping my 3570k until early 2015 and will then upgrade once next gen has hit its stride. That way I'll know whats needed CPU wise for next gen games as right now there's a lot of uncertainty about whether 4 cores will be enough and whether those with 8 core AMD CPU's may actually be in a better position for the long-haul.

OW MAN ! :D:D

just got home and I see all these haswell + motherboard reviews can not wait to go through them make up a spec list and order stuff :D

Finally New generation is here

SpyGuy239

Yep, I plan on keeping my 3570k until early 2015 and will then upgrade once next gen has hit its stride. That way I'll know whats needed CPU wise for next gen games as right now there's a lot of uncertainty about whether 4 cores will be enough and whether those with 8 core AMD CPU's may actually be in a better position for the long-haul.

you got that right GHG. This 8 core question is bugging me as well. Alot of people say that the 8 core AMDs are still not comparable to Intels 4 core i5s and i7s. I wonder if this is the same case with the consoles?

(Although I'll admit I'm an Intel fan and will probably never buy AMD unless they really exceed intel in performance)

I'm still on LGA1156 & Lynnfield myself, an i7 860 at stock with no problems in any of the latest games e.g. crysis 3 etc. on high/max settings at 1080p (Although I don't subscribe to the need for 60fps so YMMV). This was with 1 GTX 560Ti, and I just got another one for cheap last week for my first SLI experience and it is incredible. Hoping this will last me till I graduate as well so that's 2 more years! I'm optimistic that it will! I got them all in Dec 2009 minus the GPU of course)

LGA1156 was perhaps the shortest lived CPU/Motherboard spec that I can remember unfortunately ): leaving us out of all the nice CPU upgrades.

Courage

I know nothing about OCing but I'm definitely gonna OC.

Courage

Building a PC during this time sucks. Everything seems to be half-baked and better things are coming down the road. I don't want to buy older parts because I know I'm gonna be tempted to get the newer ones down the road.

On the other hand, I've been waiting since January and want to start building already.

MedIC86

Building a PC during this time sucks. Everything seems to be half-baked and better things are coming down the road. I don't want to buy older parts because I know I'm gonna be tempted to get the newer ones down the road.

On the other hand, I've been waiting since January and want to start building already.

Things is, with the hardware world, there is always something better down the road. One advantage at least, the gains of new hardware isnt as huge as it was back in the days. now we have to make due with 10-20% increases.

I would personally dont spend to much, you said its your first build. Just try to see if you like it, get a decent build (one from the OP for example) and you can always go the enthousiast road in a year or so when you have more feeling for it.

Courage

Things is, with the hardware world, there is always something better down the road. One advantage at least, the gains of new hardware isnt as huge as it was back in the days. now we have to make due with 10-20% increases.

I would personally dont spend to much, you said its your first build. Just try to see if you like it, get a decent build (one from the OP for example) and you can always go the enthousiast road in a year or so when you have more feeling for it.

That's what I was going to do, so now I'm deciding between 3770K and a 4770K.

MedIC86

That's what I was going to do, so now I'm deciding between 3770K and a 4770K.

I think there is something good and bad to say for the both of em, but im going to upgrade to haswell, the 1150 is a new socket wich will probarly last you longer then the 1155.

Hi guys, am I allowed to jump right in here and ask for some advice/help?

I've never been clued up when it comes to buying PCs/laptops, and I've had a look through the OP a couple of times but it's very overwhelming and just have no idea what to go for.

I'm UK-based, if that helps at all, and although I have only really used a laptop in my room for the last 5-6 years, I hear a lot of people saying it's better to go desktop. I don't game at all on PC but it would be great to finally have a computer that is perhaps capable of running Dolphin or PS2 emulators, and maybe the option of running the latest games, if only for convenience. Is there anything else you would need info on for my needs?

I'd be so grateful if I could just get a push in the right direction as to what might be a great set up for me, because I really haven't got a clue about what the ideal CPUs and graphics cards etc are for someone like me.

Apologies if I shouldn't really be jumping in asking for help, but I don't really know anyone else that could offer me advice and I don't want to just go out and buy any old thing that might be out of date in a couple of years (like the way this laptop can't play basic games for shit).

Thanks to anyone kind enough to offer help. PM me if it's not advisable to help out in the thread.

Addnan

Hi guys, am I allowed to jump right in here and ask for some advice/help?

I've never been clued up when it comes to buying PCs/laptops, and I've had a look through the OP a couple of times but it's very overwhelming and just have no idea what to go for.

I'm UK-based, if that helps at all, and although I have only really used a laptop in my room for the last 5-6 years, I hear a lot of people saying it's better to go desktop. I don't game at all on PC but it would be great to finally have a computer that is perhaps capable of running Dolphin or PS2 emulators, and maybe the option of running the latest games, if only for convenience. Is there anything else you would need info on for my needs?

I'd be so grateful if I could just get a push in the right direction as to what might be a great set up for me, because I really haven't got a clue about what the ideal CPUs and graphics cards etc are for someone like me.

Apologies if I shouldn't really be jumping in asking for help, but I don't really know anyone else that could offer me advice and I don't want to just go out and buy any old thing that might be out of date in a couple of years (like the way this laptop can't play basic games for shit).

Thanks to anyone kind enough to offer help. PM me if it's not advisable to help out in the thread.
Fill out the little form in the OP. will help understand your need better.

Xdrive05

you got that right GHG. This 8 core question is bugging me as well. Alot of people say that the 8 core AMDs are still not comparable to Intels 4 core i5s and i7s. I wonder if this is the same case with the consoles?

(Although I'll admit I'm an Intel fan and will probably never buy AMD unless they really exceed intel in performance)

I'm still on LGA1156 & Lynnfield myself, an i7 860 at stock with no problems in any of the latest games e.g. crysis 3 etc. on high/max settings at 1080p (Although I don't subscribe to the need for 60fps so YMMV). This was with 1 GTX 560Ti, and I just got another one for cheap last week for my first SLI experience and it is incredible. Hoping this will last me till I graduate as well so that's 2 more years! I'm optimistic that it will! I got them all in Dec 2009 minus the GPU of course)

LGA1156 was perhaps the shortest lived CPU/Motherboard spec that I can remember unfortunately ): leaving us out of all the nice CPU upgrades.

8-cores are starting to matter already and we have every reason to believe this trend will continue when next-gen console engines are standard for PC games.

If you live within driving distance of a Micro Center, you can get a 3770k for about the same price you'd pay for a 3570k elsewhere. Not sure if they will do the same thing for 4770k though. Anyway, if you're planning a build for the long-haul, it would be advisable to go either 8-core or 4-core hyperthreaded.

Sorry for bombarding with questions; but for a first time build I'm thinking of going with a 4770K. Is that too much? I'm going with a 7950 graphics card. Not sure of the mobo yet but I just want to figure out which CPU to eye.

mkenyon

Banned
8-cores are starting to matter already and we have every reason to believe this trend will continue when next-gen console engines are standard for PC games.

If you live within driving distance of a Micro Center, you can get a 3770k for about the same price you'd pay for a 3570k elsewhere. Not sure if they will do the same thing for 4770k though. Anyway, if you're planning a build for the long-haul, it would be advisable to go either 8-core or 4-core hyperthreaded.
There aren't any 8 core processors though. The architecture of AMD's "8 Core" is far more similar to a quad with hyperthreading. Each core is a pair of two cores.

mkenyon

Banned
Gotcha.

I think the quad is going to be fine for awhile longer, but if one's budget allows for it, then the 4770K would be the way to go.

If you are down to cutting parts here and there, it's going to be far better to dump that $100 into a videocard though.

Courage

Sorry for bombarding with questions; but for a first time build I'm thinking of going with a 4770K. Is that too much? I'm going with a 7950 graphics card. Not sure of the mobo yet but I just want to figure out which CPU to eye.

As mkenyon said, that's a good option. It should be beneficial for the future.

I'd probably have built another gaming PC multiple times now if someone would release a goddamn mATX motherboard with Thunderbolt.

Why aren't there any?

Im not really computer savvy but this sounds wrong. At least I hope so.
The 780 is a bit more than twice as fast as the PS4 GPU which will not be enough to get 60FPS in all games, it will in a lot, especially the ones already running at 60FPS on consoles but the more demanding games won't.

When does Haswell go on sale? Also, when will Mkenyon and Hazaro designate the best bang for buck motherboard for us to go for?

nbthedude

Noob question: why is it that most PC builds do not include the operating system price?

It is also not a gurantee you need an OS. If you have an old laptop or old PC a lot of people just deactivate and reuse the key from an old system.

Also you can use Windows 7 for up to 90 days w/o an activation code.

But if you want to include the OS into your budget, just plan on adding an extra $80. You can usually find a version of Windows that cheap if you shop around.

kharma45

The 780 is a bit more than twice as fast as the PS4 GPU which will not be enough to get 60FPS in all games, it will in a lot, especially the ones already running at 60FPS on consoles but the more demanding games won't.

When does Haswell go on sale? Also, when will Mkenyon and Hazaro designate the best bang for buck motherboard for us to go for?

It'll take a while until we see pro reviews of them all and get consumer feedback. MSI GD65 is looking promising though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom