• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Man, 120Hz LightBoost is just insane. 120Hz gives you incredible fluidity, and LightBoost gives you CRT-like pixel response. I'm really surprised at how much LightBoost improves things...night and day.

lowbeat

Neo Member
Ty TheD and mkenyon for answering, I ll probably go with the new 4770k cpu, so I ll add a bit more money to get 840 pro 120gb.

Fredescu

Anyone have an opinion on building your own NAS vs getting a HP Microserver? I really want something that runs Windows and uses very little power. I would rather build my own stuff, but the HP Microservers seem like very good value for money.

Addnan

What sort of prices can I realistically expect from Haswell and the new GPU lines? Can I expect to pay much more than I would if I got parts that are available now? I know nothing of PC part prices over time.
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/11OSh (the sort of level I'm going to go for)

Haswell will be probably be priced the same as Ivy is right now, the new GPUs are an interesting one. The GTX 770 is priced similar to the 670, but the 780 is much more expensive than the 680, so we can't really know how the 760ti and below will be priced. Going to assume it will be the same as 660ti and below. The price of old parts probably won't go down.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
We're getting there.

jbxBlOCOYVBha4.JPG

Oxn

Can someone help?

So i have 2 laptops that are 1366 x 768

But whenever i connect them to my 1080p tv the sides and top and bottom, always get cut off a little bit, why is that?

They are both 16:9.

Same thing when i connect to my 720p old tv.

How can i fix this?

Oxn

What sort of prices can I realistically expect from Haswell and the new GPU lines? Can I expect to pay much more than I would if I got parts that are available now? I know nothing of PC part prices over time.
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/11OSh (the sort of level I'm going to go for)

Retail wise yes the ivy and haswell will probably be about the same price.

However...... if you have a microcenter around you, you can get the 3770k for 230, and get 40 off a mobo.

Thats some huge savings there. So i went with the 3770k and saved over a hundred bucks just a few weeks before haswell launches.

RayStorm

Out of curiosity, why would anyone use sleep states? I just don't get it at all. It's bad for SSDs, and turning the PC takes just as much time if you have an SSD. If not, it's like 20 seconds with a standard HDD.

Beyond that, they can cause havoc with OC'd systems, which all gaming systems *should* be.

There's just no upside to sleep.

Can't go wrong there.

Hrm. I was not aware of this. I have been using sleep constantly for around 3 years with my current SSD. In fact, I will admit to leaving my system on pretty much 24-7 aside from a restart once or twice a week.

Now I have extra incentive not to do this. I already knew I should stop being lazy and turn the damn thing off and it made me feel guilt for the wasted energy. But now I have extra incentive.

Just to clarify...
In Windows Sleep is Suspend to Ram. If you disable Hybrid Sleep in the advanced power options, your SSD is not used for sleep at all. Irregardless of that, aside from the downside of minimal power consumption there are three major upsides for me by using sleep: 1) I can use the PC almost the same instant I awaken it and 2) I can awaken the PC by moving my mouse and don't have to reach for the power button and 3) It's back in the state I last left it (e.g. open windows, window position, open programs, open settings etc.)

The 3rd advantage stays when using Hibernation mode as well. But then you definitely have a longer wake up time and tax your hdd/ssd. That being said the major concern I imagine is the "limited" read/write cycles an SSD has when using hibernate. But that number is fairly high so I doubt that this should be a worry for anyone at home though.

squicken

Overclocking is worse?

"Combine higher temperatures under the heatspreader with a more mobile focused chip design, and overclocking is going to depend on yield and luck of the draw more than it has in the past."

Overclocking is worse?

"Combine higher temperatures under the heatspreader with a more mobile focused chip design, and overclocking is going to depend on yield and luck of the draw more than it has in the past."
Nope. Apparently it's the same as Ivy Bridge:
In terms of overclocking success on standard air cooling you should expect anywhere from 4.3GHz - 4.7GHz at somewhere in the 1.2 - 1.35V range. At the higher end of that spectrum you need to be sure to invest in a good cooler as you’re more likely to bump into thermal limits if you’re running on stable settings.

nbthedude

squicken

Nope. Apparently it's the same as Ivy Bridge:

"And although it appears we received fairly overclockable samples of the -4770K, industry consensus amongst the companies with hundreds of these chips on-hand is that, at safe input voltages, 4.3 or 4.4 GHz should be OK. The luckiest enthusiasts might get 4.5 or 4.6 GHz. Skill won’t get you far; Haswell is all about luck of the draw due to its integrated voltage regulator. "

Guess I am looking at it as someone who was thinking of upgrading from SB. I was kind of set on upgrading, but now I'm going to wait on the 4670k reviews

brentech

that's a real bummer if a work around isn't figured out.
Never considered waiting for Haswell, but still glad I went with what I did.
If its not worked out, hopefully they don't stick with the same plan for broadwell.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Fuck.
The only saving grace would be if i3 chips come soon and you can BLCK overclock them.
i9rMgEr.png

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i7_4770k_review,12.html
Overclocking looks pretty straight forwards. Similar results to Ivy from what I'm reading.

No change improvements in gaming performance over Ivy though:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i7_4770k_review,23.html
I'll wait for some frame latency data, but my hopes are not high.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Can someone help?

So i have 2 laptops that are 1366 x 768

But whenever i connect them to my 1080p tv the sides and top and bottom, always get cut off a little bit, why is that?

They are both 16:9.

Same thing when i connect to my 720p old tv.

How can i fix this?

Sounds like an overscan or underscan issue. All you have to do is go in to the control panel of the card and find the resolution part that lets you resize the screen to deal with it.

CoherentRambler

Neo Member
As a Core 2 Duo owner, I like what I'm seeing. I'll be moving to Haswell this month, if the financials permit it.
Even though I can understand the disappointment from SB/IB owners, my question is: why? It's not like you were gonna upgrade? Or...? o_O

kennah

As a Core 2 Duo owner, I like what I'm seeing. I'll be moving to Haswell this month, if the financials permit it.
Even though I can understand the disappointment from SB/IB owners, my question is: why? It's not like you were gonna upgrade? Or...? o_O

I think if it were able to do 5GHZ+ easily on air some people would have upgraded.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Had high hopes for overclocking.
Now that OC potential seems bunk, marginal savings on power with a small % in speed are combined with a new socket that doesn't add anything for an enthusiast.

Qassim

I'll be upgrading from an i7 920 to a 4770k so it should be a decent boost for me. As I'll be upgrading via EVGA's step up program to a 780, I don't think I should hang off any longer as I'll may be seeing bottlenecks soon.

Are there any Haswell prices yet?

Edit: For a first time builder I should just go with Haswell for the new socket? Or should I get a current gen? Based on the early reviews now that there out.

abunai

Was Haswell a tick or a tock? I can't remember and am on my phone with limited signal so can't google, either. Seems disappointing regardless.

Edit: For a first time builder I should just go with Haswell for the new socket? Or should I get a current gen? Based on the early reviews now that there out.
Prices are in the OP (and on all review sites now)

IMHO, go for Haswell.
It's newer, it's somewhat faster, but most importantly, it's more future proof since it has LGA 1150 socket that will be used in the next architecture after Haswell (Broadwell).
Was Haswell a tick or a tock? I can't remember and am on my phone with limited signal so can't google, either. Seems disappointing regardless.
It's a tock. ;)

nbthedude

Depends on price. If they are same, I would say go ahead and get Haswell. You'll have the new socket motherboards with some imprivements and a potential upgrade path and it is a little faster.

If you find a deal wherein the Ivy and/or ivy motherboard equivalent ends up being cheaper, go with Ivy. You get better overclocking and save some cash.

mkenyon

Banned
Fuck.
The only saving grace would be if i3 chips come soon and you can BLCK overclock them.

i9rMgEr.png

I'll wait for some frame latency data, but my hopes are not high.

The BCLK adjustment gives you a little more flexibility when overclocking, but you still need a K-SKU to take advantage of the options

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RoKKeR

Yesterday I thought I had decided to sleep on the 770, but after sleeping on it I have decided to go for it. I am currently at a 570 and a two year upgrade cycle is the norm for me. Waiting for 8xx will put me right in the middle of next gen console launches, so my PC wont be getting as much use. My thinking being, pick up a great card that can handle this year's most demanding games and early next gen ports, then pick up a refined/refreshed 8xx later down the line.

So, my lingering question is that of RAM. In the 770 thread there are lots of discussions on whether or not 2GB would be enough VRAM for the foreseeable future. (2 years, early next gen games) Personally I feel like, at least for the initial next gen games through 2013/2014, the 770 will handle those ports just fine. Do I really need 4GB right now? Should I wait for 4GB models to become available?

Thanks.

mkenyon

Banned
So, my lingering question is that of RAM. In the 770 thread there are lots of discussions on whether or not 2GB would be enough VRAM for the foreseeable future. (2 years, early next gen games) Personally I feel like, at least for the initial next gen games through 2013/2014, the 770 will handle those ports just fine. Do I really need 4GB right now? Should I wait for 4GB models to become available?

Thanks.
There haven't been any conclusive tests that demonstrate the 680/770 (it's the same card) performs better with 4GB than 2GB, even when memory is pushed to the limit. It has a fairly limited memory bandwidth, which reduces it's performance when it's memory is tapped out.

BUT, it might end up performing better. There's just no way to say for sure.

MedIC86

Yesterday I thought I had decided to sleep on the 770, but after sleeping on it I have decided to go for it. I am currently at a 570 and a two year upgrade cycle is the norm for me. Waiting for 8xx will put me right in the middle of next gen console launches, so my PC wont be getting as much use. My thinking being, pick up a great card that can handle this year's most demanding games and early next gen ports, then pick up a refined/refreshed 8xx later down the line.

Thanks.

IMO, just go for it now. The 4GB will cost more, and by the time 4gb will be the norm the 770 is way to slow. you can safe the money that you spare by buying 2gb instead of 4gb for a new gpu in 1.5/2 years.

mkenyon

Banned
anand review said:
Overclockers may be disappointed at the fact that Haswell is really no more of an overclocker (on air) compared to Ivy Bridge. Given the more mobile focused nature of design, and an increased focus on eliminating wasted power, I don’t know that we’ll ever see a return to the heyday of overclocking.
Why the caveat? Is that from the LN2 records being broken?

RoKKeR

IMO, just go for it now. The 4GB will cost more, and by the time 4gb will be the norm the 770 is way to slow. you can safe the money that you spare by buying 2gb instead of 4gb for a new gpu in 1.5/2 years.

This was sort of my gut feeling, thanks. I'll go with 2GB, I honestly don't see it being much of an issue for at least the foreseeable future, and if it ever became one like you said, I'd probably be looking to upgrade anyways.

Any model recommendations? I'm a fan of EVGA and this is what I've been looking at.

mkenyon

Banned
This was sort of my gut feeling, thanks. I'll go with 2GB, I honestly don't see it being much of an issue for at least the foreseeable future, and if it ever became one like you said, I'd probably be looking to upgrade anyways.

Any model recommendations? I'm a fan of EVGA and this is what I've been looking at.
Yeah, from what I'm reading, that EVGA dual fan cooler looks to be the new king.

That's what I'm recommending as the premiere non-reference cooler.

I just got the Gigabyte Windforce and it's amazing. So quiet and powerful compared to my old 580.

SpyGuy239

Thanks.

I made a post about this earlier. Hope it helps. This is just my opinion. I'll leave it below:

My opinion comes partly from reading the 770 review from anandtech:

"Having 2GB of RAM doesn’t impose any real problems today, but I’m left to wonder for how much longer that’s going to be true. The wildcard in all of this will be the next-generation consoles, each of which packs 8GB of RAM, which is quite a lot of RAM for video operations even after everything else is accounted for. With most PC games being ports of console games, there’s a decent risk of 2GB cards being undersized when used with high resolutions and the highest quality art assets.....The solution for better or worse is doubling the GTX 770 to 4GB. GTX 770 is capable of housing 4GB, and NVIDIA’s partners will be selling 4GB cards in the near future, so 4GB cards will at least be an option.....4GB would certainly make the GTX 770 future-proof in that respect, and I suspect it’s a good idea for anyone on a long upgrade cycle, but as always this is a bit of a gamble."

And I agree with anadtech and also suggest going with the 4GB if you can because a few years ago I got myself an MSI 560Ti Hawk. Yes I picked the super OC'ed edition over the no/less OC'ed 2GB version and that was my mistake. When it comes to running BF3 on Ultra or Crysis 3 on Ultra in 1080p, there are no major issues, but occasionally there can be alot of stuttering, and I understand this is due to my 1GB ram limit. Meaning I have to compromise and turn down shadows, AA etc. I can't remember exactly but I read somewhere that BF3 on Ultra at 1080p should at least have more than 1GB available on the graphics card.

But if you picked up the 770 at 2GB, that's a great buy!! Definitely a good, buy I wish I could buy that in fact if I had the $ (also the stock cooler looks damn sweet). Right now and probably for the next 6 months at least it's gonna be way more than sufficient to run all the ports and PC games at 1080p at least at Ultra settings I'm quite sure.

I was just suggesting that if you were going to buy a 770 right now, might as well go for the 4GB version if you can. Seems like the best route to pick for future games/ports (even though we know future proofing your PC is just about the most useless thing one can do :p) Also, I think anad mentioned a price difference of about $30-40 more, which isn't too much. Also depends on what brand you're going for I guess (I'm thinking MSI :p)

All the best!

MedIC86

If you take a reference card brand doesnt matter, for aftermarket cards EVGA is not a bad choice. But you have to take note you can easily overclock yourself and safe a bit of money.

according to some sites the launch price of the 4gb will be 499$, wich is like 80 dollars more then the EVGA SC you linked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom