• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oy maybe y'all can help me now. Got my computer back up and running (new PSU and GPU with a fresh install of windows n all that jazz) but I seem to be running into a problem with random hard lock ups where the screen will lock and do nothing until I restart, blue screen, or play an ungodly noise and then reboot. I have it narrowed down to a driver issue (possible graphics? I had this same problem I kinda ignored earlier but it was rare) or my harddrive going bad. I wonder if it's more likely my harddrive going since there isn't much installed driver wise, and I had a similar problem with a laptop that would do similar things with vista that turned out to be a bad drive.

There's a way to check for bad sectors through windows, right?

nbthedude

Oy maybe y'all can help me now. Got my computer back up and running (new PSU and GPU with a fresh install of windows n all that jazz) but I seem to be running into a problem with random hard lock ups where the screen will lock and do nothing until I restart, blue screen, or play an ungodly noise and then reboot. I have it narrowed down to a driver issue (possible graphics? I had this same problem I kinda ignored earlier but it was rare) or my harddrive going bad. I wonder if it's more likely my harddrive going since there isn't much installed driver wise, and I had a similar problem with a laptop that would do similar things with vista that turned out to be a bad drive.

Download Soluto and use it to a full check of everything. It will go throught the whole deal: harddrive check, RAM check, videocard check, etc.

It also keeps track of your apps that crash and gives you a easy list of apps that load on start up and lets you disable stuff and tell you how much time it is contributing to your boot time. It also gives you the temperature and fan levels of everything. Hell, it even gives you a break down of your energy usage estimate per month and will also keep you up to date on all drivers and give you a nice weekly over view of your system. Soluto is awesome and it's free.

www.soluto.com

Transferred to a new case and
*4 pin CPU power
*24 pin main power
*PCIE power
*Front panel leads
*CPU and case fans power

are all triple checked, no loose components, PSU turned on and no response at all
It is a pain in the ass, but unplug everything except for the mobo, power button wire, and CPU power. At least you can narrow it down to the motherboard or PSU.

knitoe

Use Windows disk check:

Open the "Computer" window
Right-click on the drive in question
Select the "Tools" tab
In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

Or, goto the HDD manufacturer's website, download their HDD software and run it.

nbthedude

Use Windows disk check:

Open the "Computer" window
Right-click on the drive in question
Select the "Tools" tab
In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

Or, goto the HDD manufacturer's website, download their HDD software and run it.

Soluto has a single system check that does that but also checks RAM, videocard and monitor and gives you a breakdown of everything.

kharma45

Anyone got any experience with the Noctua NF-S12B FLX? Looking at them and the Scythe Gentle Typhoon amongst others.

Looking for some quiet but reasonably priced case fans.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I could not get that working to my satisfaction. I don't know if I messed up somehow, but the end result was a dim-looking monitor that displayed images with a crisp aftertrail.

I had the same problem. I decided to leave it disabled.

kharma45

Arctic Cooling F12, Cougar Vortex, Corsair AF120 Quiet.

AC F12 is the best value of the bunch.

I didn't think those Arctic Cooling would be so highly recommended since they're so cheap (Amazon won't ship them on orders of less than £20). They're about half the price of the Noctua and ever more than the Scythe Gentle Typhoon's that I've also been eyeing up.

mkenyon

Banned
I didn't think those Arctic Cooling would be so highly recommended since they're so cheap (Amazon won't ship them on orders of less than £20). They're about half the price of the Noctua and ever more than the Scythe Gentle Typhoon's that I've also been eyeing up.
They're $10 here, which is kind of the standard price for you basic GOOD fan. Cougar Vortex, AC F12, BitFenix Spectre Pro, Swiftech Helix, lots of others.

kharma45

They're $10 here, which is kind of the standard price for you basic GOOD fan. Cougar Vortex, AC F12, BitFenix Spectre Pro, Swiftech Helix, lots of others.

Not usual that we've the better pricing on something, the AC F12 are $5.50 here.

I'll mull them over, could add three of those for the price of one Gentle Typhoon.

mkenyon

Banned

Kingven

My new Rig:

guUjOrB.jpg

y7HWvbul.jpg

Not seen in the picture: 60 GB SSD ADATA

Im just waiting for an 212 Hyper Plus Cooler Master and some 12 cm fans...

Gurthang

Banned
Yeah still has that!

As I said Gurthang, you're better off building or if not try to find a slightly higher clocked i5 if you can as mkenyon is right, it's a bit low.

I see. I have no problem building my own PC. So i5-3470K @ 3.4 GHz would do with a similar setup? cause my budget is around 700$

cory64

The case (NZXT 210 Elite) also seemed to have off PCI slots, couldn't push the GPU in all the way. Think I'm just going to get a new one + PSU anyway. Anything else under $60?

kennah

The case (NZXT 210 Elite) also seemed to have off PCI slots, couldn't push the GPU in all the way. Think I'm just going to get a new one + PSU anyway. Anything else under $60?
Loosen your motherboard screws, reseat the video card, retighten.

lowbeat

Neo Member
I will be only getting new Motherboard, CPU, Ram, and SSD for now, so only look into these 4 parts, or recommend me something else for this budget, High end CPU is a must for movie encoding.

Your Current Specs:
e7200 2x2.53 / 2x2gb(DDR2) / Gigabyte EP43-s3l / GTX 560T ti zotac / CM Silent Pro modular 700w / CM 690 II

Budget:
~650eur - Germany (Amazon.de)

Main Use:
Movie encoding (X264), Gaming, Video Editing, 3D/Model work, (1080p playback full BDS).

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
1920x1080, not anytime soon, no.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? Will you use CUDA accelerated software?
MeGUI, 3dsmax, photoshop, 20+ Virtual machines at the same time, new PC games.
30 Frames is acceptable for now until i upgrade my gpu(I ll allow only GPU bottlenecking my fps for now, not any other part). I wont use any CUDA accelerated software as far as I know, but nvidia physix is a must.

Looking to reuse any parts?:
I will reuse all parts but: Motherboard, CPU, Ram, and SSD.

When will you build?:
I will build it in a month or 40 days to be more specific.

Will you be overclocking?:
Yes, definitely Yes.

nbthedude

Hi. yeh it's my first post
I'm thinking of getting this. I'm pretty sure it would be capable of running most of the games in my backlog but then can it run the games within the next two years on medium-high on about 25-35 fps?
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=7_124&item_id=059766

It's not terrible. It will run everything out today pretty excellently. But take the plunge and build your own. It's fun, it's cool, it's rewarding. You get to interact with a community and it will save you some dough on a great system. Lots of friendly people here to help recommend parts and putting it together will likely take you around an hour or less and you have free tech support. :)

nbthedude

This has nothing to do with this thread but Max Payne 3, pretty damn awesome. At least for $5 as part of the current Amazon bundle. I'm pretty impressed with the production values. It's like an action movie that carefully sets up it's action scenes and seamlessly transitions into them and from them. Five hours in and I'm very happy so far. Also runs fantastic at full settings on my 4 year old Lynfield and looks stunning. :)

Dave_6

This has nothing to do with this thread but Max Payne 3, pretty damn awesome. At least for $5 as part of the current Amazon bundle. I'm pretty impressed with the production values. It's like an action movie that carefully sets up it's action scenes and seamlessly transitions into them and from them. Five hours in and I'm very happy so far. Also runs fantastic at full settings on my 4 year old Lynfield and looks stunning. :)

Glad you got your copy to work! I got the bundle yesterday and can't get MP3 or GTA IV to play. MP3 gets hung up on the stupid Social Club sign-in and won't do anything. GTA IV tells me I need Windows Vista SP1 and I'm running Windows 7. I know I'm a noob but this is incredibly frustrating.

nbthedude

Glad you got your copy to work! I got the bundle yesterday and can't get MP3 or GTA IV to play. MP3 gets hung up on the stupid Social Club sign-in and won't do anything. GTA IV tells me I need Windows Vista SP1 and I'm running Windows 7. I know I'm a noob but this is incredibly frustrating.

I googled a fix for that exact problem in Max Payne 3 yesterday, actually. All I had to do was uninstall the Social club thing which was a separete .exe file in the in the Game's Steam folder and then reinstall the social club thing afterward. Just click on that file, select "uninstall" and then after it's done click on it again to reinstall it. It has worked fine ever since.

The file is

Social Club v1.1.0.1 Setup.exe

It should be in your Max Payne Folder (My computer ---> C: (or whatever drive it's installed in ---> Steam Apps ----> Common ---> Max Payne 3

Click it and select "uninstall." After it is done. Click it again and select "install."

As for GTA 4. I never had that problem but you can always go to the game folder, find the .exe file, right click on it and go to "Properties." There will be an option there that says "Run in Compatibility mode." Click it and Apply.

Sometimes these things can be a bit of a pain in the ass, especially with console devlopers that do sloppy ports. But hey, $5 for the a better looking version of the game. I'm willing to use google for 10 min. every now and then to find a solution to someone's fuck up.

vocab

I reformatted, and now my audio is giving me audio crackle at high audio levels. Is this my headphones going? Is there some audio setting im missing?

By the by. Gentle Typhoon AP-15s still good? Been a while since I looked into fan tech and that was my go to 120 fan for most stuff. Need to start looking into stuff again what with new builds coming.

Dave_6

I googled a fix for that exact problem in Max Payne 3 yesterday, actually. All I had to do was uninstall the Social club thing which was a separete .exe file in the in the Game's Steam folder and then reinstall the social club thing afterward. Just click on that file, select "uninstall" and then after it's done click on it again to reinstall it. It has worked fine ever since.

The file is

Social Club v1.1.0.1 Setup.exe

It should be in your Max Payne Folder (My computer ---> C: (or whatever drive it's installed in ---> Steam Apps ----> Common ---> Max Payne 3

Click it and select "uninstall." After it is done. Click it again and select "install."

As for GTA 4. I never had that problem but you can always go to the game folder, find the .exe file, right click on it and go to "Properties." There will be an option there that says "Run in Compatibility mode." Click it and Apply.

Sometimes these things can be a bit of a pain in the ass, especially with console devlopers that do sloppy ports. But hey, $5 for the a better looking version of the game. I'm willing to use google for 10 min. every now and then to find a solution to someone's fuck up.

Many thanks to you! Like I said, I'm new to PC gaming and after the long day I had at work my patience is nonexistant right now. I'll try both of these fixes in a few minutes and see what happens.

nbthedude

Many thanks to you! Like I said, I'm new to PC gaming and after the long day I had at work my patience is nonexistant right now. I'll try both of these fixes in a few minutes and see what happens.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

I tried a different fix for MP3 first and it didn't work for me. But the simple uninstalling and re-instalilng of the Rockstar social features did.

Also, I recommend playing MP3 with the "hard lock" which makes it like Call of Duty where you auto-target with one button and shoot with the other. It's less challenging but lets you just kind of enjoy the ride and gives you more opportunity to do the cool hero stuff like slam yourself out of windows and 360 shoot bad guys. :)

Is there a way to use a wacom tablet with touch support like an ipad? As in your finger on the tablet working like an ipad, instead of just moving the mouse around on screen?

knitoe

Is there a way to use a wacom tablet with touch support like an ipad? As in your finger on the tablet working like an ipad, instead of just moving the mouse around on screen?

You tablet screen has to have Capacitive (touch) and Electromagnetic Panel (Wacom) layers. My old Asus EP121 can be use both ways.

Smash88

Banned
Big update:

Bought a couple of items today:

• Graphite 600T

• Corsair AX860i (It was on sale and on par in price with the AX760 - Crazy lucky.)

• Corsair H100i

• Das Keyboard MX Brown

• Sensei MLG Edition Mouse

• A Razer Goliathus mouse pad (this thing is awesome - I had some cheapo mousepad from Staples before)

• My 27" Dell monitor came in today (U2713H). This color REPRODUCTION OH MY GOD. MY EYES IT'S SO GOOD - SCREW 120HZ. I'm an IPS man for life.

I preordered and paid for the i7 4770k and ASUS Z87 Sabertooth motherboard - $711 w/ 13% tax.

I was told Haswell is coming out June 2nd, and they have everything in the back already, just they aren't allowed to put it out until then. PREPARE FOR JUNE 2nd PEOPLE!

Feep

Banned
Uh, so I just picked up my 3 XFX HD 7850's (among many other things) from NewEgg today. The graphics cards were supposed to come with a coupon that can be redeemed for Blood Dragon, Tomb Raider, and Bioshock Infinite.

I assumed they would be inside the XFX boxes (why wouldn't they be?), but there was no coupon in any of them. Do they come separately? Were they in the bottom of a box that I threw out, or something? I am sad. = (

TheD

The Detective
I will be only getting new Motherboard, CPU, Ram, and SSD for now, so only look into these 4 parts, or recommend me something else for this budget, High end CPU is a must for movie encoding.

Your Current Specs:
e7200 2x2.53 / 2x2gb(DDR2) / Gigabyte EP43-s3l / GTX 560T ti zotac / CM Silent Pro modular 700w / CM 690 II

Budget:

Main Use:
Movie encoding (X264), Gaming, Video Editing, 3D/Model work, (1080p playback full BDS).

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? Will you use CUDA accelerated software?
30 Frames is acceptable for now until i upgrade my gpu(I ll allow only GPU bottlenecking my fps for now, not any other part). I wont use any CUDA accelerated software as far as I know, but nvidia physix is a must.

When will you build?:

Yes, definitely Yes.

Well if you want to do video encoding and overclocking then your best options are limited to the Intel 3770K, 2700K or 2600K, all 3 are about 300 Euros, a motherboard (like the Asrock Z77 Extreme 4) will set you back 120-ish Euros, 16GB of DDR3 RAM (like the G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB sticks) is around 120 Euros.

That leaves about 60 Euro for an SSD (thus it would have to be a 64GB one).

Redx508

Uh, so I just picked up my 3 XFX HD 7850's (among many other things) from NewEgg today. The graphics cards were supposed to come with a coupon that can be redeemed for Blood Dragon, Tomb Raider, and Bioshock Infinite.

I assumed they would be inside the XFX boxes (why wouldn't they be?), but there was no coupon in any of them. Do they come separately? Were they in the bottom of a box that I threw out, or something? I am sad. = (

bottom of a box

HoosTrax

Three 7850s? Bitcoin mining?

JCizzle

Got a7970 from amazon two weeks ago and the code was emailed to me

mkenyon

Banned

Your Current Specs:

Budget:

Main Use:

When will you build?:

Yes, definitely Yes.
4770K + Z87 motherboard to be added to the OP + Ripjaw Z 1866/2133/2400 + SSD of your choice.

I'd personally suggest a Crucial M500, Samsung 840 Pro, or Samsung 840 (non pro) if you get 256GB.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
People still do that? No, I'm building three computers for my office.

I don't think I got anything in my E-mail...it's Friday, so I guess I have to wait until Monday to call XFX. Blah.
GL on the call.
iirc coupons are bottom of box. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom