• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzgc

Banned

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
This

LL

+ This

900x900px-LL-6a69f1ca_30755_1_evga_debuts_new_itx_box_at_computex_taipei_2013_full.jpeg

= one very sexy lanbox...

RoKKeR

In reference to this post...

Try 4.4GHZ, set the VCore to run at 1.35V, run some monitor programs and test with Prime95 for 10mins. If it doesn't crash, you can increase the OC to 4.5Ghz, or if you are happy at 4.4Ghz, try lowering the VCore to run at 1.30V and restest. Play with increasing/decreasing OC + VCore until you get the speed, temp and VCore you are happy with. Then, run prime for a 4 or more hours. If you want to be 99% sure, you can run it 24 hours. Stay under 1.35V VCore. And, instead of setting a manually VCore number, use OFFSET instead so the CPU will use less voltages when idling.

In my P8P67-M bios, I don't have the option for editing "VCore", I honest to God can't find it. So, about OFFSET, do I use the same numbers as kinote recommended for VCore, just in the OFFSET section?

mkenyon

Banned
Nope. Vcore = CPU voltage. Offset means that it will increase/decrease volts at load/idle. So lets say at load your highest vcore is 1.25V. "+0.20" offset would mean that your highest load vcore would go to 1.45V.

It's a bit tricky to find the right curve for your CPU.

RoKKeR

Nope. Vcore = CPU voltage. Offset means that it will increase/decrease volts at load/idle. So lets say at load your highest vcore is 1.25V. "+0.20" offset would mean that your highest load vcore would go to 1.45V.

It's a bit tricky to find the right curve for your CPU.

Ok. So in that case...I can't any options to edit Vcore. I've searched all over for it.

knitoe

In reference to this post...

In my P8P67-M bios, I don't have the option for editing "VCore", I honest to God can't find it. So, about OFFSET, do I use the same numbers as kinote recommended for VCore, just in the OFFSET section?

No, you want the VCore to be 1.35V. If you can manually input 1.35V, it more easy, but the VCore will stay at that input number idle or under load. Thus, it's better to use OFFSET, but it's much more complicated to use. Settings that add voltage: default (1.10V?) +-OFFSET +LLC(%) +phase control(%) +etc. First, don't OC CPU, leave OFFSET 0, set the other settings using lowest/lower options. Startup Windows, run monitoring programs and Prime95 to see what the VCore is. Now, you have your VCore number. Now, use OFFSET to bring the VCore to 1.35V. It will tie you a few tries to get it right. Then, OC the CPU 4.4GHz and test with Prime95 for 10min. If stable, try going to 4.5-4.7GHz. Retest with Prime95 each time. If crash, go lower until you find the perfect stable OC speed, voltage and temps.

RoKKeR

It should just be listed as CPU Voltage. iirc, it's right above offset in BIOS for the ASUS P67 stuff.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

Yep.
Now that's worrying...

In just that first screen everything on mine matches up until OC Tuner. I don't have that. After that I only have Load Line Calibration, nothing underneath that. And when you get to voltage, I only have Offest, DRAM, VCCIO, and PCH.

That's weird and annoying as hell. ???

mkenyon

Banned
The Z77A-G45 Gaming was released last month, and comes with a better NIC, as well as 6 phase power control with high quality components.

mkenyon

Banned
You are recommending MSI Z77's now?

:p
Yeah, it was the early ones that had OC issues. They remedied that on the Gaming release, which is why I was looking closely at the Z87 ones as potential great buys.

Also, tentative Haswell update, which will remain separate of the main build guide until we have some better information on how the Z87 motherboards pan out.

aerJ3vT.png

RoKKeR

No, you want the VCore to be 1.35V. If you can manually input 1.35V, it more easy, but the VCore will stay at that input number idle or under load. Thus, it's better to use OFFSET, but it's much more complicated to use. Settings that add voltage: default (1.10V?) +-OFFSET +LLC(%) +phase control(%) +etc. First, don't OC CPU, leave OFFSET 0, set the other settings using lowest/lower options. Startup Windows, run monitoring programs and Prime95 to see what the VCore is. Now, you have your VCore number. Now, use OFFSET to bring the VCore to 1.35V. It will tie you a few tries to get it right. Then, OC the CPU 4.4GHz and test with Prime95 for 10min. If stable, try going to 4.5-4.7GHz. Retest with Prime95 each time. If crash, go lower until you find the perfect stable OC speed, voltage and temps.
Duh. Haha, took me a while, but I JUST understood all of this, alright. Ok so I loaded my default settings at the bios and after 10 minutes of Prime95, my core voltage seems to be about 1.22V.

Now, what are the values that I should start with in the Offset field to bring up my voltage?

knitoe

Duh. Haha, took me a while, but I JUST understood all of this, alright. Ok so I loaded my default settings at the bios and after 10 minutes of Prime95, my core voltage seems to be about 1.22V.

Now, what are the values that I should start with in the Offset field to bring up my voltage?
Different MB have different OFFSET increments. Just slowing increase the +OFFSET until you hit 1.35V. After a few tries, you will know how much each increment adds to the VCore. Once you hit 1.35V, time to OC the CPU. Try 4.2-4.5GHZ. If stable, try even higher.

RoKKeR

Different MB have different OFFSET increments. Just slowing increase the +OFFSET until you hit 1.35V. After a few tries, you will have how much each increment adds to the VCore. Once you hit 1.35V, time to OC the CPU. Try 4.2-4.5GHZ. If stable, try even higher.

Ok, great. Thank you so much to you and mkenyon. Will update on my progress.

I decided on the MSI Z87-G45 and i5 4670k, so it's good to see those parts in the tentative Haswell update. I realize it's early, though. Just gonna hope for the best.

Tremas

So, I'm in the market for a new desktop which I plan to build within the next week or two.

Current Specs: I'm using a laptop for all my needs at the moment, and it hasn't been cutting it for a while. It has an i7 720QM @ 1.6ghz, 4GB RAM, GTX 260M and a 500gb hard drive. Pretty much anything will be an upgrade.
Budget: I'm in the UK with a budget of around £1500-£1600 or so all inclusive with OS, monitor and keyboard/mouse.
Main Uses: Gaming, general usage, and some fairly heavy Photoshop/Lightroom activity with large RAW files.

This will be my first self built desktop, with my only hardware experience being limited to installing new memory and graphics cards. With regards to overclocking, a firm maybe on that front. I'm looking at a 4770k for my processor but other options are welcome.

Few caveats, I have my mind set on an ASUS VG248QE monitor and a GTX 780 as well as an SSD for OS and a few other programs.

Everything else is up for grabs.

Roland1979

Planning to build a gaming PC. Budget around €1000,= with some flexibility.
NeoGAF please help/comment/advise. Thank you.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Case Fans: Corsair SP120 (High) Performance Edition / efficient 140mm fans (5 or 6)
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 600W
MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
CPU Fan: Noctua NH-D14
GPU: Radeon HD 7950 Boost
SPU: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D
RAM: 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24 1.5V
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 250 GB
HDD: not decided/buy later, SSD will do for a while

kharma45

So, I'm in the market for a new desktop which I plan to build within the next week or two.

Current Specs: I'm using a laptop for all my needs at the moment, and it hasn't been cutting it for a while. It has an i7 720QM @ 1.6ghz, 4GB RAM, GTX 260M and a 500gb hard drive. Pretty much anything will be an upgrade.
Budget: I'm in the UK with a budget of around £1500-£1600 or so all inclusive with OS, monitor and keyboard/mouse.
Main Uses: Gaming, general usage, and some fairly heavy Photoshop/Lightroom activity with large RAW files.

This will be my first self built desktop, with my only hardware experience being limited to installing new memory and graphics cards. With regards to overclocking, a firm maybe on that front. I'm looking at a 4770k for my processor but other options are welcome.

Few caveats, I have my mind set on an ASUS VG248QE monitor and a GTX 780 as well as an SSD for OS and a few other programs.

Everything else is up for grabs.

What version of Photoshop are you using?

Case Fans: Corsair SP120 (High) Performance Edition / efficient 140mm fans (5 or 6)

Don't get the Extreme4, the MSI GD55/65 or Biostar TZ77XE3/XE4 are better buys.

I'd look to Seasonic or XFX for your PSU too, I would have more faith in them.

mkenyon

Banned

Swap the Extreme 4 for the MSI G45 Gaming or ASUS V-LK.

Corsair SP's are for radiator/heatsink duty. AF's are for case airflow. The high performance ones are quite loud, you'd want to go with the Quiet Editions. But, the stock fans will do fine with airflow.

Recon3D is a really bad sound card, get the Sound Blaster Z.

NH-D14 is outclassed by Noctua's recent 120mm options.

Everything else looks good!

Roland1979

Swap the Extreme 4 for the MSI G45 Gaming or ASUS V-LK.

Corsair SP's are for radiator/heatsink duty. AF's are for case airflow. The high performance ones are quite loud, you'd want to go with the Quiet Editions. But, the stock fans will do fine with airflow.

Recon3D is a really bad sound card, get the Sound Blaster Z.

Everything else looks good!

Thank you, you seem to know your stuff.
Will the MSI G45 Gaming or ASUS V-LK also do well with overclocking?
Stock fans I will use but I don't think they give you enough, so I have to buy like 2 more probably?
Soundcard is not really important to me but will look into that (otherwise I would just use onboard right?).
NH-D14 Has a really good name. Is there a new one that already has build some reputation?
How much more expensive are the newer ones? And is there some hard numbers comparing the NH-D14 with newer ones?
How are those "heatpipes" on the newer ones? Is fan the most important thing on it?
Again, thnx for helping! You too kharma45!

RoKKeR

Alright, so while running IntelBurnTest with my current CPU Offset value, my Core Voltage hops between 1.336V, 1.344V, and 1.352V. Is this a good range to be in? I don't think I should go any higher because I'm hitting that 1.352 mark.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
mattiewheels said:
Ok....bear with me for sounding like an idiot, but my PC just exploded and I'm trying to figure out why.

After a little bit of Far Cry 3, I noticed a smoky smell, walked over to the computer and as I was getting ready to shut it off, a huge bang and shuts off. Everything in the case/mobo looks fine with no signs of any shorts or damage, CPU has proper paste between heat sink and all fans were fine. The unit doesn't have power so I can only guess at the moment the PSU popped. What I'm trying to figure out is if 600W was not enough for the following, even though I had no indication it wasn't: FX 4170, Radeon 7870 (box states 550W reccomended), 2x4GB DDR3 1600...did I strain my 600W psu with this?

Were you overclocking your processor? What motherboard?

The thing to do is look for blown capacitors. Check your motherboard and power supply for discoloration and a capacitor that is all caddywhompus.

I wasn't overclocking, but the fact that it happened right after a new CPU made me wonder. Well I got lucky, since all I did was pop in a new Corsair 700W and everything runs as normal. I'm shocked since that mini explosion seemed pretty damaging when it happened. Old PSU smelled awful when I took it out, I wish I knew exactly what caused it to blow up.

mkenyon

Banned
Thank you, you seem to know your stuff.
Will the MSI G45 Gaming or ASUS V-LK also do well with overclocking?
Stock fans I will use but I don't think they give you enough, so I have to buy like 2 more probably?
Soundcard is not really important to me but will look into that (otherwise I would just use onboard right?).
NH-D14 Has a really good name. Is there a new one that already has build some reputation?
How much more expensive are the newer ones? And is there some hard numbers comparing the NH-D14 with newer ones?
How are those "heatpipes" on the newer ones? Is fan the most important thing on it?
Again, thnx for helping! You too kharma45!
NP.

Yeah, both of those are fine for overclocking with an air cooler.

Onboard sound might be fine, it's up to you.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Noctua/NH-U12S/

It's a bit less expensive than the D14.
Alright, so while running IntelBurnTest with my current CPU Offset value, my Core Voltage hops between 1.336V, 1.344V, and 1.352V. Is this a good range to be in? I don't think I should go any higher because I'm hitting that 1.352 mark.
As long as it is stable, and temperatures are oaky, then yes.

Ah Computex. The time of the year where I have to constantly remind myself that I don't really need new or high end computer parts.

So has Noctua shown off another D series cooler that they are not going to release again yet?

I was thinking that this looks like the poor mans Caselabs case. I think it looks good too, hopefully Tom Logan gets to do a video review of one soon. He does the best, most complete enclosure reviews on the internets.

Only reason to watch him I think. Even if his reviews tend to gloss over faults of certain companies he at least shows off just about every single thing about the cases he reviews in clear detail with measurements along the way. Needs to go back to more case reviews and less other stuff.

Also picked up a Logitech G400S mouse which I absolutely adore. Huge upgrade from my Razer Mamba. The weight is perfect...it glides far more smoothly across my funcpad than my Mamba ever did.

My man. Been like 7 years on mine and still see no reason to change it even with all the new stuff that comes out. Damn good mouse pad.

Karmum

Banned
Can't remember if I have a 600w or 700w PSU, but I imagine if it was the former, that'd it be completely fine with a single GTX 770? Obviously more would be better, but I can't recall what mine is without opening up my case.

If I wanted to upgrade (after the first upgrade) down the line, what would be the ideal w for two 770s? Any particular 770 stick out from the rest?

Edit - It's 700w, which I imagine is more than enough for one 770.

kharma45

Grand job, was just wonder as anything pre-CS4 didn't support OpenGL. Not that it matters anyway as I forgot you wanted a 780.

Anyway, look along the lines of this. Ends up over budget though :\

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/131dF
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/131dF/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/131dF/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£259.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£118.99 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£88.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£128.39 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£540.96 @ Dabs)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£75.59 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£88.08 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£69.00 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor (£274.97 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei RAW Wired Laser Mouse (£35.50 @ Ebuyer)
Other: Logitech K200 Media Keyboard (£9.15)
Total: £1714.10
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-05 00:24 BST+0100)

Could always cut back on the case and on the PSU, to say a Bitfenix Shinobi and a smaller SSD to get it within £1600
PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/131hW
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/131hW/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/131hW/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£259.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£118.99 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£88.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£75.96 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£540.96 @ Dabs)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.90 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£52.53 @ Dabs)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£69.00 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor (£274.97 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei RAW Wired Laser Mouse (£35.50 @ Ebuyer)
Other: Logitech K200 Media Keyboard (£9.15)
Total: £1600.43
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-05 00:27 BST+0100)

Smokey

Can't remember if I have a 600w or 700w PSU, but I imagine if it was the former, that'd it be completely fine with a single GTX 770? Obviously more would be better, but I can't recall what mine is without opening up my case.

If I wanted to upgrade (after the first upgrade) down the line, what would be the ideal w for two 770s? Any particular 770 stick out from the rest?

Edit - It's 700w, which I imagine is more than enough for one 770.

You're plenty good with that PSU.

Are you sure you don't mean the 140mm options? Pretty sure it still beats the u12s(even with two fans), but the u14s can give it a run for the money until a higher overclock.

Just a bit, but with two fans it would be around the same if not more. Can get the d14 for less then the u14s as well I think, even before buying a second fan. If the d14 still cost around $100 it may be a better value, but think its going around at $75 now.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_u12s_u14s_review,1.html

Another review that shows them alongside the d14 and at higher overclocks/voltages. Could also just be a difference in reviewers showing different results, as well as difference in the level of overclock between the two reviews.

RoKKeR

Sorry to keep hounding away with my OC questions, but here's another one.

So I boot up at 4.4GHz and at idle my Core Voltage hovered right around 1.350V. Now, here I am running IntelBurnTest and the highest I've seen it go on CoreVoltage is 1.320V. Is this alright/acceptable for an OC?

ITB says I'm stable...

EDIT: After ITB finished the Voltage went back up to fluctuating between 1.344 and 1.352. Is this normal?

mkenyon

Banned
Sorry to keep hounding away with my OC questions, but here's another one.

So I boot up at 4.4GHz and at idle my Core Voltage hovered right around 1.350V. Now, here I am running IntelBurnTest and the highest I've seen it go on CoreVoltage is 1.320V. Is this alright/acceptable for an OC?

ITB says I'm stable...

EDIT: After ITB finished the Voltage went back up to fluctuating between 1.344 and 1.352. Is this normal?
Yeah, that happens.

Volts are only a consideration if you blue screen (not enough volts) or if your temps are too high (too much volts). Every processor is going to require different amounts of volts at different frequencies due to silicon lottery.

Have a budget of $270-300. Already replaced PSU (Corsair 600w), GPU (HD 7870 I just bought), Case (just bought a NZXT Source 210. Cheap and effective) and already have two hdd's and a monitor. Need Motherboard and CPU.

a) any need to upgrade my ram if it's fine? I suppose it would behoove me to purchase non OEM ram since that'll be the last piece of an old gifted PC. 8gb of something. Fairly cheap to get 8gb or even jump to 16gb. Plan for gaming and development stuff.

b) No plans on overclocking, really. Motherboard:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007R9CRGW/?tag=neogaf0e-20 as a motherboard? Don't need anything fancy tbh. And is it going to be a pain in the ass to transfer my windows license over? unfortunately it's an OEM key I have and there is absolutely no way in hell I'm going to buy a new license for windows at those prices.

c) CPU: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093H8NBY/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I know integrated graphics are disabled for this model, but it's relatively cheap and I already have an HD 7870...

or http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087EVHVW/?tag=neogaf0e-20 for $20 extra?

RoKKeR

Yeah, that happens.

Volts are only a consideration if you blue screen (not enough volts) or if your temps are too high (too much volts). Every processor is going to require different amounts of volts at different frequencies due to silicon lottery.

Ok. So...can I go for it then and just keep an eye on temps and everything?

Smokey

Even for two?

You should be good, although maybe cutting a little close:

GeForce GTX 770 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce GTX 770 2x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 700~800 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
GeForce GTX 770 3x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 1000~1200 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

Karmum

Banned
You should be good, although maybe cutting a little close:
Appreciate it, thanks. At hat point if I'm going all out on a second 770, I probably should just bit the bullet and upgrade the PSU.

Finally, any 770 special over another / the rest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom