• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Amazon order that I made on 5/31 has been updated and now shipping between June 26th - July 15th. :-/

I am hoping that it is one of those things where Amazon will get in a huge shipment and then send mine way before the estimated date.

RoKKeR

My Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Amazon order has been updated and now shipping between June 26th - July 15th. :-/

I am hoping that it is one of those things where Amazon will get in a huge shipment and then send mine way before the estimated date.

Shit, that's rough.

At least one EVGA 4GB model is supposed to come out in 1-2 weeks, so I'm going to hold off on my purchase until that I think.

Yeah, it was the early ones that had OC issues. They remedied that on the Gaming release, which is why I was looking closely at the Z87 ones as potential great buys.

Also, tentative Haswell update, which will remain separate of the main build guide until we have some better information on how the Z87 motherboards pan out.

aerJ3vT.png

just ribbing.

Anyways I assume the OCs were not that great due to lower phase power control and not as great quality components?

Also what's with that jibberish in the motherboard comment section :p

If the PS4 and Xbone have DRM and/or other shitty anti-consumer policies I'm coming back to the PC gaming scene. Here's my fuck-awesome build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/132rD

The M4 would be swapped with the 120GB Samsung 840 currently running in my Mac Mini server. I already have an unused licensed of Windows 7. At $899 shipped this build almost certainly costs less than the price of a PS4 and Xbone with sales tax, and it includes absolutely everything I would need (down to the thermal paste and shorter PSU cables).

Your move, console manufacturers.

By the by. Anyone got any good 140mm fan recommendations? Need them to be normal size and have normal 140 mounts. I usually use ty-141s but they will not work it seems.

Trying to find a way to make the 350d work for me before deciding to go with it, and it can fit 2 140s in the front, but only if they have the normal 140mm mounting holes. Also can't be any bigger since they fit in an exact slot, so I can't use the ty-141 even if I wanted to put my own holes in it since that fan is bigger then normal 140 fans in one dimension.

Not really that big of a problem since I could just use some of the ap-15s I got around, just weighting my options.

Thanks.

kennah

If the PS4 and Xbone have DRM and/or other shitty anti-consumer policies I'm coming back to the PC gaming scene. Here's my fuck-awesome build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/132rD

The M4 would be swapped with the 120GB Samsung 840 currently running in my Mac Mini server. I already have an unused licensed of Windows 7. At $899 shipped this build almost certainly costs less than the price of a PS4 and Xbone with sales tax, and it includes absolutely everything I would need (down to the thermal paste and shorter PSU cables).

Your move, console manufacturers.
Change that cpu for a 3570k (or don't bother with a z77 motherboard) and there is really no reason that you can't go with Haswell. There are a slew of amazing ITX boards coming out for the platform.

Another year, another mix of high highs and low lows at Computex.

Fuck you scogoth.

*continues shopping for blue bladed fans*

Anyone know anything about Deep Cool fans?
Worst comes to worst black goes with everything. Or have mkenyon talk you into painting them with real Subaru automobile paint
Or, keep it simple, and go with the best overall blue-bladed fan out (more so the 140mm model).*

31.jpg

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=160&page=1
http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/index.asp?itemid=11

Otherwise, Deep Cool is fine and, depending on your country, can be had under two different brands with minor to major differences. Just avoid Phanteks' blue fans.

*Assuming Prolimatech haven't already been mentioned, as I haven't exactly been around recently and it's such an obvious choice...

Change that cpu for a 3570k (or don't bother with a z77 motherboard) and there is really no reason that you can't go with Haswell. There are a slew of amazing ITX boards coming out for the platform.

Nah, the 3470 OC's fine to 4 GHz (one core) or 3.8 GHz (quad core). That's plenty for what will legitimately be a gaming console. I use my MacBook Pro for all of my actual computing, this PC would be stashed under the TV and boot straight into Steam big picture mode. I went with Ivy over Haswell to cut costs since there isn't a significant performance gain. Especially for a machine that will only be used to play games!

kennah

Nah, the 3470 OC's fine to 4 GHz (one core) or 3.8 GHz (quad core). That's plenty for what will legitimately be a gaming console. I use my MacBook Pro for all of my actual computing, this PC would be stashed under the TV and boot straight into Steam big picture mode. I went with Ivy over Haswell to cut costs since there isn't a significant performance gain. Especially for a machine that will only be used to play games!
Sounds like you've done your research. :) but the motherboards are so pretty!!!

slapnuts

As I edit my previous post, you also need to ENABLE C1, C3 and C6 in the bios for SpeedStep to work.

That is not true for all motherboards though... I have an Asus Z77-V series mobo and i only have speedstep on and all CIE C3 C6 and Package C all turned off..only speedstep on...and my 3770K idles or when not in heavy usage is idle at 1600mhz and when heavy usage/load it goes to my 4.8ghz OC.

Just wanted to chime on on that..maybe some motherboards are different.

I'm on a Sandy. Worth getting has, or going Ivy?

Also, thinking about going mini. Any ETAs on those mobos?
Neither, unless your CPU/mobo is a poor sample and/or you'd like to try the newer platform options (PCIe, USB, etc.). Going from an i3 to i5, or i5 to i7 may make sense depending on your use.

If you're Intel-only, staying on a mainstream socket and aren't hampered by your SB, you should likely be looking at Skylake/Skymont or Broadwell at the earliest.

slapnuts

I totally agree...Sandy's, Ivy's and Haswell are more than enough for the next 3 years or so..especially if you give it a average overclock to at least 4.2ghz - 4.4ghz and above imho will extend the longevity of the cpu. To me these intel CPU's.. these current three generations of intel cpu's are more than enough for gaming for the coming years.

The only thing i will probably upgrade is my graphics card which is currently a Sapphire Dual-X 7970 Ghz OC Edition which is stable at 1150mhz core/1600mhz memory. I am expecting that to be decent for my 1440x900 resolution i prefer for the next coming two years or so. Just gotta wait and see how these next gen console ports do after ported to the windows platform which i have a decent hunch will do fairly well porting

Also to me..it seems anything over 4.8ghz seems unneeded for gaming as for a performance boost from the cpu...at least from my testing and tinkering.

·feist·;61298693 said:

Neither, unless your CPU/mobo is a poor sample and/or you'd like to try the newer platform options (PCIe, USB, etc.). Going from an i3 to i5, or i5 to i7 may make sense depending on your use.

If you're Intel-only, staying on a mainstream socket and aren't hampered by your SB, you should likely be looking at Skylake/Skymont or Broadwell at the earliest.

My mobo was the one that got recalled... But I didn't send it back because I was foolish. It's failing to the point where I can have an optical drive OR a HDD but not both.

My CPU is not a K model. Vanilla 2500 because the k had no release date when I was purchasing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6985/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-at-1440p-adding-in-haswell-

Anandtech has a really lengthy review of Gaming CPUs and a broad overview of the roie of the CPU in games.
The information there should only be used as a supplement of information for someone who has a good knowledge base, and certainly not as a guide to purchasing a CPU for gaming.

Only using average frame rate is a joke.
CASE: Fractal Design Node 304
CPU: i3570K
RAM: 8 GB
MOBO: GA-Z77N-WIFI
VID: GTX-780
PSU: Corsair AX760i
SDD: Intel 520 120GB

So far the system is very fast and very quiet. I can't hear anything from the couch 10 feet away. I wanted something portable I can move from the office to the living room easily. I'll take more shots of the pc in the office when my dell u2713hm comes in this week.

A note on this build: in order to get the GTX-780 and the AX-760i to fit, I had to remove the PSU bracket (4 screws) and double-side tape the PSU onto the case for stability. Had a Corsair TX-650 which fit without removing the bracket, but I made the jump to modular because I couldn't stand the cable hell.
That is super nice. Great job.
I'm on a Sandy. Worth getting has, or going Ivy?

Also, thinking about going mini. Any ETAs on those mobos?
Neither, as said. Though I might have a 2600K for sale since I found out my work has a vice...

Crazy Kenyon, what's up? Been even busier than normal for months now, so kinda out of the loop somewhat. From a quick glance, it looks like you guys covered a lot of the note-worthy non-boutique, non-region-specific models coming up.

Corsair continues to underwhelm with overpriced products people will continue to buy anyway; BitFenix on their game; Cooler Master being surprisingly disappointing (maybe not?); Lian Li still not quite right on usability; Fractal Design finally makes the Arc XL official (remember how many months ago I mentioned it? And how many months old I said it was at that point in time?), Rosewill trying, but yeah...; others.

My mobo was the one that got recalled... But I didn't send it back because I was foolish. It's failing to the point where I can have an optical drive OR a HDD but not both.

My CPU is not a K model. Vanilla 2500 because the k had no release date when I was purchasing.
Unfortunate on both fronts, then. At least 1-2 Z87 m-ITX boards are already available, with the newer models releasing over the next handful of months. You won't get many specific launch dates with Computex debuts, mainly estimates.

Consider your usage, from the games and software you run, to how many of them you run concurrently and how taxing each one is. If the 3770K/4770K aren't prohibitively expensive where you live, they will have greater performance and flexibility, for longer than the i5s. Again, only if that higher price is worth it to you in how you use your PC and how long you intend to keep it.

That 2600K Haz mentioned, along with a used or moderately priced new board could also work as a low-cost route.

What kind of difference does memory make in gpus?

Like, a gtx 770 with 4gb is better than the 2gb version, but how? Is it worth fussing over if i cant find a 4gb one?

·feist·;61307705 said:
Unfortunate on both fronts, then. At least 1-2 Z87 m-ITX boards are already available, with the newer models releasing over the next handful of months. You won't get many specific launch dates with Computex debuts, mainly estimates.

Consider your usage, from the games and software you run, to how many of them you run concurrently and how taxing each one is. If the 3770K/4770K aren't prohibitively expensive where you live, they will have greater performance and flexibility, for longer than the i5s. Again, only if that higher price is worth it to you in how you use your PC and how long you intend to keep it.

That 2600K Haz mentioned, along with a used or moderately priced new board could also work as a low-cost route.

My most played games are the Paradox Grand Strategy ones (Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Crusader Kings etc). Company of Heroes 2 is the other main upcoming game I will be playing heaivly, but I do also play my share of Crysis, Metro or any other showcase games. Video editing is not something I do, nor is using any similar multimedia or productivity stuff. OTOH I am also worried about future proofing for my gaming.

I might build another PC in 2015, so ofc I should be fine with... just about anything.

The Haswell i7s are $30 more than Ivy Bridge i7s, although both are quite pricy and I'm not sure why I would need the i7s over the i5s.

iavi

ThoseDeafMutes said:
and I'm not sure why I would need the i7s over the i5s.

Hyperthreading. It's already shown to be incredibly effective in Cryengine3, and more and more titles will probably take advantage of it as next-gen rolls around.

bro1

Banned
How do you tell the difference between drivers or a bad gpu causing artifacts? I have a GTX 670 with 320.18 drivers installed and I have artifacts in BF 3. Batman AC has been fine as has NFS. However, The new Tomb Raider game artifacted in the last driver release and haven't tested it with the new.

My card in games is around 58c and in 3dmark around 64. I am going to run a loop of 3dmark to see what happens overnight. I never sleep well when this happens as I expect my pc is broken (rarely is). My CPU is at 3.8 and its a 3570k on a sabertooth mobo.

Question for those smarter than I in this.

My current CPU is: i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66

I've been debating building a new computer. Going to Ivy or Haswell, will I see a huge improvement?

The debate I'm having is just upgrading my video card for now and waiting on the CPU or what. I eventually want to have 2 desktops thinking my old one will function as a Steam box for my TV as my computer and TV are sort of far apart.

Sothpaw

Ok I just finished putting together my first pc. Only part yet to arrive is the RAM. I have 2 Corsair xms3 1600mhz 2x2gb 1.65v sticks of RAM. I am hesitant to put the old RAM into my new system to see if it works. Will the 1.65v cause problems? I have the new MSI 787 GD-65 mobo.

Also for the power switch connectors, will it break anything if I have the + and - transposed? Or will it just not work and I will have the chance to switch them?

xJavonta

Banned
·feist·;61298693 said:

Neither, as said. Though I might have a 2600K for sale since I found out my work has a vice...
Even if you're upgrading from a Sandy i3-2100? It'd just be better for someone like me to upgrade to a 2500k or 2600k? I want a new Mobo with USB 3.0, so I'd use it as an excuse to upgrade my little i3 to something faster but going to Haswell or Ivy isn't worth it?

TheExodu5

Banned
My man. Been like 7 years on mine and still see no reason to change it even with all the new stuff that comes out. Damn good mouse pad.

Heh yeah I bought a new one a few years back but never ended up using it. Used a Steelseries pad for a while since the Mamba had terrible feet and was too heavy to glide properly on the funcpad. Now that I'm back to it I friggin' love it.

Parts for my build are coming in tomorrow, at least the last of them.

CPU: i5 3570k w/ CM 212 EVO
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
GPU: Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X 3GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gb 1600
PSU: Seasonic M12ii 650
CASE: Antec Eleven Hundred
SSD: Samsung 840 pro 128 gb
HDD: WD Blue 1 TB

Pretty f'ing excited to have a mostly up to date PC.

What is reverse ATX and why would someone want it?

Mostly aesthetics, when you want you window on the right or when you want to be able to see the top of the GFX card. Sometimes it's for cooling, to be in the direct path of a fan. In the "old" days people though that the hottest components should be on top as heat rises, but it's been largely disproven that it matters when you introduce forced airflow into a case.

Colin.

Providing things go to plan, this is what I should be acquiring within the next few days. My main use will be gaming, as well as occasionally using Photoshop and the like. My one concern is the size of the SSD, but the prices of 256GB drives are insane, I could basically buy 2 128GB drives for the same price. If you think that is too low or think I should choose different parts in the same price range, then all advice is welcome.

Intel Core i5-4670K
Gigabyte Z87-D3HP
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Crucial Ballistix Tactical Memory (16GB)
Samsung 128GB 840 Pro

(I already have the parts that are missing)

M3z_

I really like that Asus Maximus VI Formula.

ASUS%20Maximus%20VI%20Formula%20Z87%20Motherboard%20with%20SupremeFX%20and%20CrossChill_0.jpg

+

Image_38S.jpg

Would be a great combo. I already have the case... Maybe I will find a moment of stupidity and switch to haswell to make that combo happen.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.54 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased)
Video Card: ECS GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($39.15 @ NCIX US)
Total: $441.64

Or

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased)
Video Card: ECS GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($39.15 @ NCIX US)
Total: $466.66

I have never overclocked anything in my life, I have no idea what I'm doing and I don't want to break anything.

However, I don't like the idea that I could limit myself in the future with something I can avoid now. If all it takes to learn how to set it up right is just watching a 10 minute youtube video, I don't want to have to re-buy a mobo and CPU down the line.

Any words of advice?

kennah

I have never overclocked anything in my life, I have no idea what I'm doing and I don't want to break anything.

However, I don't like the idea that I could limit myself in the future with something I can avoid now. If all it takes to learn how to set it up right is just watching a 10 minute youtube video, I don't want to have to re-buy a mobo and CPU down the line.

Any words of advice?

It's that easy. Even a modest overclock is a 20% increase in performance.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Have a budget of $270-300. Already replaced PSU (Corsair 600w), GPU (HD 7870 I just bought), Case (just bought a NZXT Source 210. Cheap and effective) and already have two hdd's and a monitor. Need Motherboard and CPU.

a) any need to upgrade my ram if it's fine? I suppose it would behoove me to purchase non OEM ram since that'll be the last piece of an old gifted PC. 8gb of something. Fairly cheap to get 8gb or even jump to 16gb. Plan for gaming and development stuff.

b) No plans on overclocking, really. Motherboard:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007R9CRGW/?tag=neogaf0e-20 as a motherboard? Don't need anything fancy tbh. And is it going to be a pain in the ass to transfer my windows license over? unfortunately it's an OEM key I have and there is absolutely no way in hell I'm going to buy a new license for windows at those prices.

c) CPU: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093H8NBY/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I know integrated graphics are disabled for this model, but it's relatively cheap and I already have an HD 7870...
a) If you hit your RAM limit just buy more. I thought I was fine on 8GB until I hit over that while exporting a rendered 1080p video.

b) I'd really really suggest a Z77 board since you can fit it in your budget like an AS Rock Pro 4

c) And....... you say you aren't overclocking, but the way things are seemingly lining up the CPU and Mobo you buy now will probably last you at least 2-3 years being top end. Imo it's better to spend a touch more and have the option of 25% more performance.

That said, your parts listed are fine. (Glanced at mobo, have the ASRock B75 PRO3 in the OP)
Even if you're upgrading from a Sandy i3-2100? It'd just be better for someone like me to upgrade to a 2500k or 2600k? I want a new Mobo with USB 3.0, so I'd use it as an excuse to upgrade my little i3 to something faster but going to Haswell or Ivy isn't worth it?
Going from a Dual to Quad is different. You'll want to upgrade to a SB/Ivy quad from that.

Haswell isn't worth a new socket for you.
Parts for my build are coming in tomorrow, at least the last of them.

CPU: i5 3570k w/ CM 212 EVO
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
GPU: Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X 3GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gb 1600
PSU: Seasonic M12ii 650
CASE: Antec Eleven Hundred
SSD: Samsung 840 pro 128 gb
HDD: WD Blue 1 TB

Pretty f'ing excited to have a mostly up to date PC.
Very nice. Will just say to not run over 1.25V load on your overclock as the Extreme 4 under reports CPU Volts. (It's removed on updated OP which is almost done).
Providing things go to plan, this is what I should be acquiring within the next few days. My main use will be gaming, as well as occasionally using Photoshop and the like. My one concern is the size of the SSD, but the prices of 256GB drives are insane, I could basically buy 2 128GB drives for the same price. If you think that is too low or think I should choose different parts in the same price range, then all advice is welcome.
You can get a 240GB Samsung 840 for $170

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
How hard is your budget? I'd 100% stretch to a Z77 and i5 'K'

These are updated OP (Not done yet)

http://i.imgur.com/4ak8u0d.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I wanted to stay on the close side of 400$ when I get the rest of it. I've already bought the video card and SSD, so the only thing left is...the majority of the parts.

[b]CPU:[/b] [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637i53570k]Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor[/url] ($219.99 @ Amazon)
[b]CPU Cooler:[/b] [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rrb10212pg1]Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler[/url] ($19.99 @ Newegg)
[b]Motherboard:[/b] [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z77pro4]ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard[/url] ($94.99 @ Newegg)
[b]Memory:[/b] [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cml8gx3m2a1600c9]Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory[/url] ($69.99 @ Amazon)
[b]Storage:[/b] [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7td120bw]Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk[/url] (Purchased)
[b]Video Card:[/b] [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ecs-video-card-ngtx550ti1gplif1]ECS GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB Video Card[/url]
[b]Case:[/b] [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-case-s210002]NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case[/url] ($39.99 @ Amazon)
[b]Power Supply:[/b] [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-vp450]Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply[/url] ($39.15 @ NCIX US)
[b]Total:[/b] $484.10

So this? 20 dollars more than the brand new CPU version.

Overclocking is better than getting a haswell is what you're saying?

The B75 motherboard doesn't do overclocking right? That's what I'm paying for on the Z77 correct?

Olivero

About to purchase my first rig, how is it?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($103.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($88.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-14D1XT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1327.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-05 00:38 EDT-0400)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom