• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr2xxx

Banned
Would a dedicated audio card be of any benefit if you connect your PC to a reciever? I'm guessing no since the reciever would do all the decoding/encoding whatever it's called.

Raxus

So far I have been working on building a new PC for this winter.

On my list I have:
  • 2 TB Hard Drive
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz
  • Asrock Z87 Extreme 3 LGA 1150 Intel 289 HDMI SATA 6GB/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard

I am willing to spend a little over 1000 for my rig and I am trying to decide on a graphics card.

I am between this and this.

Any suggestions?

kharma45

On my list I have:
  • 2 TB Hard Drive
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • Asrock Z87 Extreme 3 LGA 1150 Intel 289 HDMI SATA 6GB/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard

I am willing to spend a little over 1000 for my rig and I am trying to decide on a graphics card.

Any suggestions?

I wouldn't get either, at the 660 Ti price point the 7950 is better and at the 680 the 7970 is better, as is the GTX 770.

Make sure you get a 4770K btw not the regular 4770.

Either of these three are better buys

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MML1UA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009B6Y01Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125463

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127741

Addnan

On my list I have:
  • 2 TB Hard Drive
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM

Any suggestions?
They are pretty different cards, 660 is midrange at best. 680 is one of the top cards. If you go with 680 price range, get a 770 instead. Same price more performance.

The 7970 is priced at $400 comes with a few games, might be worth looking into that.

On my list I have:
  • 2 TB Hard Drive
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM

Any suggestions?

For winter? Haswell should keep you warm.
Why don't you take a look at the 770 instead? Or wait a bit.

I'm still obsessing over that Raven ITX case. That might be the HTPC to rule them all.

How can you see past all that plastic? :)

So dinky!
lian_li_033.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
It's the layout.

90 degree PCI-E riser, thin, and would fit in on a media center shelf.

Hopefully they will have a Fortress verison.

RoKKeR

How do I find what my "Memory Frequency" is? I'm OC'ing my i5 2500k right now on my P8P67, and I'm just not sure what the "Memory Frequency" is or how to find it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Ok....bear with me for sounding like an idiot, but my PC just exploded and I'm trying to figure out why.

After a little bit of Far Cry 3, I noticed a smoky smell, walked over to the computer and as I was getting ready to shut it off, a huge bang and shuts off. Everything in the case/mobo looks fine with no signs of any shorts or damage, CPU has proper paste between heat sink and all fans were fine. The unit doesn't have power so I can only guess at the moment the PSU popped. What I'm trying to figure out is if 600W was not enough for the following, even though I had no indication it wasn't: FX 4170, Radeon 7870 (box states 550W reccomended), 2x4GB DDR3 1600...did I strain my 600W psu with this?

Addnan

Ok....bear with me for sounding like an idiot, but my PC just exploded and I'm trying to figure out why.

After a little bit of Far Cry 3, I noticed a smoky smell, walked over to the computer and as I was getting ready to shut it off, a huge bang and shuts off. Everything in the case/mobo looks fine, CPU has proper paste between heat sink and all fans were fine. The unit doesn't have power so I can only guess at the moment the PSU popped. What I'm trying to figure out is if 600W was not enough for the following, even though I had no indication it wasn't: FX 4170, Radeon 7870 (box states 550W reccomended), 2x4GB DDR3 1600...did I strain my 600W psu with this?
Uh, 600W should be enough. What power supply was it?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Odrion

Banned

On my list I have:
  • 2 TB Hard Drive
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM

Any suggestions?
I say go wait for a 770 with 4 Gig video memory. The 660ti has some odd bottlenecks on it, and the 680 is outdated.

RoKKeR

Alright, so I got my i5 2500k running at 4.0GHZ, very stable, temperatures are nice. I'm running Prime95...do I just sit here and wait? How do I determine whether or not it is a "stable" overclock?

Also, I don't like how the CPU just fires up to full speed when just sitting at the desktop. Any way I can limit the CPU speed when it's not under load?

Addnan

Coolmax T-600V, got it like 4 years ago.
600W of a decent psu would have been more than enough. I have never heard of Coolmax before, so can't really say how their stuff is. Not much you can do. Get a good brand PSU and hope no other parts have been damaged.

Alright, so I got my i5 2500k running at 4.0GHZ, very stable, temperatures are nice. I'm running Prime95...do I just sit here and wait? How do I determine whether or not it is a "stable" overclock?

Also, I don't like how the CPU just fires up to full speed when just sitting at the desktop. Any way I can limit the CPU speed when it's not under load?
Pc will get unstable, usually BSOD.

TheExodu5

Banned
It's so full of win.

Speaking of ITX cases...

Shitty thermals but so dig this case. Would be fun with GTX 670 mini.

tu100-310513.jpg

Man...I'm really digging this case. Seems like such an awesome LAN case. Very interesting PSU placement. It's not going to be super quiet as you'll need to stick with stock coolers, but you can pack a lot of power into that tiny space. If I were building a LAN PC I think I'd pick one up.

mattiewheels

Just might have been its time.

600W of a decent psu would have been more than enough. I have never heard of Coolmax before, so can't really say how their stuff is. Not much you can do. Get a good brand PSU and hope no other parts have been damaged.
My main concern is that this happens a day after I put in a new CPU, and messed with the fan settings (Max 50C, 25% min. speed), so I feel like something went wrong there too.

mr2xxx

Banned

Let it run for 24 hours to be 99% sure it is stable and go outside and do do something else.

Did you diasable speed step in BIOS?

MedIC86

Well i finally made up my mind about my last components, and i ordered the last bits, new system:

- msi z87 G45 (the features of the GD65 werent worth the 40E more for me)
- 8gb corsair
- 780GTX

yay

appaws

Banned
Yeah, it's a really intelligent design. But it's so ugly, and the plastic makes the large cheap case look even cheaper.

I can see a purpose for it, but it certainly has no purpose in a grown man's house :p

I'm almost 39, way past the point of worrying about being a grown man or having a grown man's stuff.

My PC of today is the same thing as my GI Joe collection of 1986.

RoKKeR

Let it run for 24 hours to be 99% sure it is stable and go outside and do do something else.

Did you diasable speed step in BIOS?

Ok, sounds good.

Just went back to the BIOS and checked. Speed Step is ENABLED and at bootup the speed is 4000 MHz. Ugh. Why.

knitoe

Try 4.4GHZ, set the VCore to run at 1.35V, run some monitor programs and test with Prime95 for 10mins. If it doesn't crash, you can increase the OC to 4.5Ghz, or if you are happy at 4.4Ghz, try lowering the VCore to run at 1.30V and restest. Play with increasing/decreasing OC + VCore until you get the speed, temp and VCore you are happy with. Then, run prime for a 4 or more hours. If you want to be 99% sure, you can run it 24 hours. Stay under 1.35V VCore. And, instead of setting a manually VCore number, use OFFSET instead so the CPU will use less voltages when idling.

Just SpeedStep is not enough. I believe C1, C3 and C6 needs to be ENABLE, not just on AUTO.

My main concern is that this happens a day after I put in a new CPU, and messed with the fan settings (Max 50C, 25% min. speed), so I feel like something went wrong there too.
If the PSU goes, there's a decent chance it also took your MB. Get a new PSU from local shop to test. That way, it's easy to return the PSU for refund.

RoKKeR

Try 4.4GHZ, set the VCore to run at 1.35V, run some monitor programs and test with Prime95 for 10mins. If it doesn't crash, you can increase the OC to 4.5Ghz, or if you are happy at 4.4Ghz, try lowering the VCore to run at 1.30V and restest. Play with increasing/decreasing oC + VCore until you get the speed and VCore you are happy with. Stay under 1.35V VCore.

Thanks, will save this post. I'm still irked about Speed Stepping not working. I don't want the damn thing running at 4+ GHz when I'm just browsing GAF.

mkenyon

Banned

After a little bit of Far Cry 3, I noticed a smoky smell, walked over to the computer and as I was getting ready to shut it off, a huge bang and shuts off. Everything in the case/mobo looks fine with no signs of any shorts or damage, CPU has proper paste between heat sink and all fans were fine. The unit doesn't have power so I can only guess at the moment the PSU popped. What I'm trying to figure out is if 600W was not enough for the following, even though I had no indication it wasn't: FX 4170, Radeon 7870 (box states 550W reccomended), 2x4GB DDR3 1600...did I strain my 600W psu with this?
Were you overclocking your processor? What motherboard?

The thing to do is look for blown capacitors. Check your motherboard and power supply for discoloration and a capacitor that is all caddywhompus.
Thanks, will save this post. I'm still irked about Speed Stepping not working. I don't want the damn thing running at 4+ GHz when I'm just browsing GAF.
Even though it's running at that speed, it's not really using a lot more power. A processor running at 4GHz is a lot different than a processor running at 4GHz and is under load. We're talking a difference of MAYBE 10W, probably less.

RoKKeR

Even though it's running at that speed, it's not really using a lot more power. A processor running at 4GHz is a lot different than a processor running at 4GHz and is under load. We're talking a difference of MAYBE 10W, probably less.

So, it's not much to worry about then? Just don't know why speed step isn't working.

Hi all! This it the pc I am supposedly going to build:

CPU: athlon ii x4 640
BOARD: asrock 960gm/u3s3 fx
GPU: sapphire 7850 2 gb
RAM: corsair vengeance 8 gb 1600
PSU: corsair cx430 v2
CASE: antec one
PLAYER: asus drw 24b5st
HARD-DISK: still have to find one.

I expect o play the likes of bioshock infinite, tomb raider, mass effect trilogy, alice madness returns (NO crysis, battlefield ecc.) at medium settings, 1920x1080 and achieve around 40 fps.

I also plan to use the computer for light video editing (sony vegas, presumably mp4 files), programming (nothing really special, hopefully I will have the time to learn a little bit of opengl) and UDK (once again I am a beginner, therefore I don't expect to fully exploit the potential of such a engine).

I don't plan to overclock anything.

Any suggestion? Any compatibility issues? Should I really avoid barracuda?

demonkaze

Quick question regarding nvidia 3D vision glasses. I just got a BenQ XL2411T monitor that supports the 3D vision and my graphics card does too, what else do I need in order to use it, just the glasses?

Which brings me to my next question, where is the cheapest place to get a pair of them, are there any deals anywhere? I'm in the UK if that helps at all.

kharma45

Hi all! This it the pc I am supposedly going to build:

CPU: athlon ii x4 640
BOARD: asrock 960gm/u3s3 fx
GPU: sapphire 7850 2 gb
RAM: corsair vengeance 8 gb 1600
PSU: corsair cx430 v2
CASE: antec one
PLAYER: asus drw 24b5st
HARD-DISK: still have to find one.

I expect o play the likes of bioshock infinite, tomb raider, mass effect trilogy, alice madness returns (NO crysis, battlefield ecc.) at medium settings, 1920x1080 and achieve around 40 fps.

I also plan to use the computer for light video editing (sony vegas, presumably mp4 files), programming (nothing really special, hopefully I will have the time to learn a little bit of opengl) and UDK (once again I am a beginner, therefore I don't expect to fully exploit the potential of such a engine).

I don't plan to overclock anything.

Any suggestion? Any compatibility issues? Should I really avoid barracuda?

Where are you and what is your budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom