• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin.

Idle temps are around 30-35C.

Last CPU? Do you mean default clocks? Not sure what you mean by that last question.

Sorry, I'll rephrase that. What CPU did you have previously and did you run it under the same test? if so, what were the results? I'd also be curious to find out what temperatures you get under normal high load conditions, opposed to stress tests. As I doubt I would strain mine too much when I get it.

Smash88

Banned
I'm at 4.0 and I can barely break 50C on passive air cooling. Somethings wrong.

I haven't tested this new OC. I will be updating you guys as I go along.

Prior to this the default clocks and voltage were ATROCIOUS.

My CPU would auto voltage to 1.295 @ 3.9GHZ. It was ridiculous. So I'll probably get around 50-55C.

Also 50C on passive air cooling is insane, how cold is your room. Also it depends on what games you play? Some games use the CPU more than others. I am basing this on a 1 hour playthrough of BF3 on a 64-man server.

Just checked again and my room is hitting 27C now.

EDIT: Idle temps on my CPU is 38C right now for anyone wondering.

And that pic makes me sad Addnan. :( I mean it sucks I can't get lower temps using Prime95, but I know I'll never reach that in a game.

Also Addnan you are running a 4/4 CPU, versus my 4/8 CPU. Just wanted to put that out there, and that could be a reason for a larger heat gap as well.

Addnan

Is a 64GB ssd okay for windows 7?
It will work, but space could become an issue. You will have to be careful. I would really recommend a 120Gb at minimum if you can.

Quick test on my Ivy. Just how can they be so different :/ Ivy was pretty shit at overclocking to begin with and then you thought it couldn't get worse..

oCgQVPF.png
http://i.imgur.com/oCgQVPF.png

jiffy38

Hmm all the negative haswell info has me wondering if I should jump on a one day sale on i5 3570k for 210 at tiger direct. Cheaper mobos as well. Wonder what real reason there is to go haswell if I'm not moving up to an i7 other than the nice new socket mobos.

scogoth

What tubing size are you using? And be prepared to rip all the skin off your fingers with those

EDIT: Also this from Martin's Liquid Lab

The TFC compression style I simply could not recommend as I have had leaks in testing with this one when moving the tubing around. There just isn’t enough barb and the compression ring while being a little sharper than the others, just does feel as secure as the others.

I would look at XSPC for finger compression fittings and it you can afford it I can't recommend the Monsoon fittings enough. Just be sure not to over tighten if you have acetal blocks.

Smash88

Banned
Hmm all the negative haswell info has me wondering if I should jump on a one day sale on i5 3570k for 210 at tiger direct. Cheaper mobos as well. Wonder what real reason there is to go haswell if I'm not moving up to an i7 other than the nice new socket mobos.

Honestly it's all on you. If you want to play the lottery and potentially get a CPU that cannot OC past 4.5 or 4.6 and high temps, you can get a Haswell. But you have to remember you will never reach these temps in a game, ever. The most you'll hit is 60C-70C. Depending on the game. You can also upgrade to Broadwell, once that comes out (as it will use the same socket as Haswell - 1150) - which could potentially lower heat, but that is just me speculating at this point. It really is your choice in the end. If you fear mediocre OC capabilities and potentially high heat, then go with the 3570k. You can't go wrong with that CPU, and the difference in games will be minimal.

sprinkles

I need a ~3TB HDD to backup my NAS. The problem is: only my (really quiet) gaming PC has space. Are Western Digital Reds silent enough to be put into the living room? Or are there other hard drives recommended for file storage? Is the drive reliability situation still so dire (the reason I only put a big SSD into my gaming rig)?

ss_lemonade

If you're into dolphin emulation, seems like haswell is a pretty good upgrade. There isn't enough data yet but in the dolphin forums, there's a wind waker benchmark thread where someone with a 4770k oc'ed to 4ghz (stock cooler) is getting better results than 5ghz sandy/ivy boards. I think his stock scores are even better than my 4.6ghz 3570k

kennah

What tubing size are you using? And be prepared to rip all the skin off your fingers with those

EDIT: Also this from Martin's Liquid Lab

I would look at XSPC for finger compression fittings and it you can afford it I can't recommend the Monsoon fittings enough. Just be sure not to over tighten if you have acetal blocks.

Bah. Was hoping to save a buck. Thanks The only thing I have so far is the EK block for my 670. mkenyon sent me a care package, but it looks like it's been lost to the Canada Post ether. Splash should get here this decade, so trying to prepare. Putting an order in with DAZ before the Canada Waterblocks sell out. And it's my birthday tomorrow so I could get away with an order I think :p

Also it depends on what games you play? Some games use the CPU more than others. I am basing this on a 1 hour playthrough of BF3 on a 64-man server.

Playing BF3 and using freeware stress tests, the highest I can get it to go is 53C. Monitoring is through Gigabytes Easy Tune software.

Also as I've mentioned before, I have the 4670K - not your 4770. Still.....

scogoth

Bah. Was hoping to save a buck. Thanks The only thing I have so far is the EK block for my 670. mkenyon sent me a care package, but it looks like it's been lost to the Canada Post ether. Splash should get here this decade, so trying to prepare. Putting an order in with DAZ before the Canada Waterblocks sell out. And it's my birthday tomorrow so I could get away with an order I think :p

Yeah buy what you can from dazmode but I think you will end up having to buy stuff from sidewinder or frozenCPU anyway because dazmode's selection is limited and his inventory is generally small. I would suggest you put together a list of parts and mkenyon can verify it and make changes and I can go through what you can get from dazmode vs the US. If you can get someone to accept the shipment from the US then ship it to you can save a lot on customs.

kennah

I'm going to order the block, gpu bridge and a little bit of tube and one fitting so I can play around with... something.

jiffy38

Honestly it's all on you. If you want to play the lottery and potentially get a CPU that cannot OC past 4.5 or 4.6 and high temps, you can get a Haswell. But you have to remember you will never reach these temps in a game, ever. The most you'll hit is 60C-70C. Depending on the game. You can also upgrade to Broadwell, once that comes out (as it will use the same socket as Haswell - 1150) - which could potentially lower heat, but that is just me speculating at this point. It really is your choice in the end. If you fear mediocre OC capabilities and potentially high heat, then go with the 3570k. You can't go wrong with that CPU, and the difference in games will be minimal.

Appreciate the advice. Thanks.

kharma45

If you're into dolphin emulation, seems like haswell is a pretty good upgrade. There isn't enough data yet but in the dolphin forums, there's a wind waker benchmark thread where someone with a 4770k oc'ed to 4ghz (stock cooler) is getting better results than 5ghz sandy/ivy boards. I think his stock scores are even better than my 4.6ghz 3570k

That seems higher than I would expect.

SpyGuy239

Cause there's no reason for 32GB on a gaming machine.

I question 16gb of ram even! But this is curious. I would pick 2x8Gb over 4x4gb anyday. It allows for future expansion, and less excessive communication between the sticks and the board/cpu as well.

Unless the high density 8gb rams are premium priced till it's better to go the 4gb route...

mkenyon

Banned
With the quality of IMC's on Ivy and Haswell, I wouldn't worry about any issues of the memory bogging down the BUS to the point that it could cause an unstable OC. We're just looking at 1600MHz kits here, so even a tiny difference would only be noticeable on the most insane of synthetic benches.

As of right now, the 4GB sticks are cheaper. If someone needs 32GB of memory, or even sees it as a possible upgrade in their future have very specific needs that are outside of any gamer.

8GB is still kind of overkill, 16GB is overkilling the overkill. 32GB is 'I want a RAMDisk and to edit photos/video'.

scogoth

I'm going to order the block, gpu bridge and a little bit of tube and one fitting so I can play around with... something.

Yeah WC in Canada sucks I have found. First order from frozenCPU I was dinged with $350 for "brokerage fees". Use USPS if you are ordering from the states.

But try out the XSPC from dazmode and see if you like them

Smash88

Banned
Playing BF3 and using freeware stress tests, the highest I can get it to go is 53C. Monitoring is through Gigabytes Easy Tune software.

Also as I've mentioned before, I have the 4670K - not your 4770. Still.....

You are running 4/4, could be why I am gaining so much more heat than you. Also I have no idea how you are getting that on air. That seems too good to be true. Try using HWMonitor and Coretemp, and tell me what your temps were under the same conditions.

I'm genuinely curious - or maybe you were lucky and got a really good CPU. If so, congrats. A lot of others are reporting similar results, so it's not off, it's just weird you have a -30C difference.

FWIW, you may have had a bad mount with the H100.

That'd be the first thing I'd do if I were in your shoes. 100% sure the pump is fully powered as well?

Also keep in mind that frequency matters very little for temperatures. It's all about the volts. Two processors with the exact same cooler and exact same ambient at 4.4GHz will vary based on volts, and to a very large degree.

Checked Corsair Link, working fine. Could it be bad paste? I might have to remount and get some custom thermal paste.

If it wasn't powered properly, I doubt I would be getting 30-32C Idle and hitting 80C 100% Load. It would be something crazy like 50C Idle.

I'll have to go out and buy some paste. Any recommendations on some good thermal paste?

mkenyon

Banned
You are running 4/4, could be why I am gaining so much more heat than you. Also I have no idea how you are getting that on air. That seems too good to be true. Try using HWMonitor and Coretemp, and tell me what your temps were under the same conditions.

I'm genuinely curious.
FWIW, you may have had a bad mount with the H100.

That'd be the first thing I'd do if I were in your shoes. 100% sure the pump is fully powered as well?

Also keep in mind that frequency matters very little for temperatures. It's all about the volts. Two processors with the exact same cooler and exact same ambient at 4.4GHz will vary based on volts, and to a very large degree.

clav

Anyone know when the 35 W TDP processors will be out?

Been waiting for a while. I thought all the Haswell CPUs would be released in the same week.

Smash88

Banned
That's kind of what I'm thinking. Your temps seem really high - and not just compared to me. If my temps were that high I'd reseat everything. If that didn't help maybe try to exchange the chip.

I don't think I can exchange the chip, if there is nothing truly faulty about it other than higher temps. And if I take it and they test and say it runs fine, then I still wasted all that time.

I'll probably try reseating the cooler and reapplying thermal paste. I'm just trying to figure out what thermal paste to buy.

Willectro

Banned

I'm genuinely curious - or maybe you were lucky and got a really good CPU. If so, congrats. A lot of others are reporting similar results, so it's not off, it's just weird you have a -30C difference.

Checked Corsair Link, working fine. Could it be bad paste? I might have to remount and get some custom thermal paste.

If it wasn't powered properly, I doubt I would be getting 30-32C Idle and hitting 80C 100% Load. It would be something crazy like 50C Idle.

I'll have to go out and buy some paste. Any recommendations on some good thermal paste?

I just posted this morning. I have a 4770k, with a H100i in a HAF XB without the doors on and no GPU yet. Idle is around 28-30°C, the short test in Prime95 got it up around 65°C (according to Real Temp). When I ended the test, it rapidly dropped back to 30. I ran the Asus diagnostics and everything seemed ok. The corsair link displays similar temps.

I was a little concerned when installing the backplate as when I put in the 4 screws the backplace wasn't snug as I assumed it would be. After reading a few posts online in various places, this is apparently common and some people have used extra rubber washers to tighten the fit. However, when I tightened down the thumbscrews after seating the heatsink, everything seemed secure. I was careful to sit the heatsink down once in the center and applied equal pressure when tightening the thumbscrews.

Edit: I haven't OC'd it yet though, still stock.

Smokey

Also check that your fans on the h100 are both facing the same direction. If you want it as an exhaust make sure it's not fighting the airflow in your system (i.e. You have air coming into the case from the front but accidentally have he h100 fans set as an intake, air has no where to go).

And don't use that paste that comes in the h100

Hickee

I've been waiting for about 3 months to compile a build and after reading everyones views on Haswell, I've decided to stick to Ivy. I've been out of the game for nearly 6 years PC wise so I'm pretty much starting from scratch again, read the OP and it's extremely helpful in that regard so many thanks to Hazaro and many others for their input in this thread.

Of what I can remember my current build is:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33Ghz
8Gb 1333
Geforce GTX 260

Budget: £800 - £880
Main use: Gaming 5 emulation 3 General Usage 1
Monitor Resolution: 1680 x 1050 Not buying a new monitor unless this one dies.
Games that must run well: Arma 2, Battlefield 3 (hopefully 4 too as I've skipped everything really since Bad Company 2 ran like crap on this machine and Battlefield 3 just laughed at me) Arma 3.
60fps preferably although I know the Arma engine is badly optimised so not expecting miracles (I get about 5 to 20fps if I'm lucky in DayZ atm), although everything else I kinda want as smooth as possible.
I wont be reusing any parts bar the mouse etc.
Overclocking: maybe, so I added the reccomended cpu fan.
I have a friend who's building this for me within the next 2 weeks or so.

This is what I have so far:
PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/13jQV
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/13jQV/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/13jQV/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£101.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.97 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (£312.09 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.90 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£62.50 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.19 @ Aria PC)
Total: £881.61
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-05 21:24 BST+0100)

Just wondering if there's any way to improve this while still staying below budget? I decided on the 7970 due to the 3gb ram, trying to future proof as much as I can to ward off the upgrade monster for as long as possible, would this generally see me through longer or just go for the 7950?

We've been saving for a bit in preperation for this and it looks like both me and my girlfriend will be made reduntant quite soon (both work for the same company, been there 16 years) so the budget is pretty much set in stone :)

Try using HWMonitor and Coretemp, and tell me what your temps were under the same conditions.

Interesting. Using HWMonitor I'm already seeing about a +7-8C difference at idle between that and the EasyTune software. So I suspect my load temps would be higher as well. Although the readings in HWMonitor are showing some 10C spikes that last for about .5 seconds. Seems erratic. Is that normal?

I'll try load in a minute here.

Smash88

Banned
Here we go:

T9MBqtp.jpg

Is the H100i paste that bad?

I haven't looked at thermal paste in a while. Any recommendations?

Also ignore the SSD temperature, that's the program being dumb. It's around 30-32 based on HWMonitor.

I also was forced to set my fans as exhaust as the stupid 600T does not have enough headroom for fans and creates a huge noise when the fans are placed as intake versus exhaust. Corsair disappointed me in that one regard.

kharma45

I've been waiting for about 3 months to compile a build and after reading everyones views on Haswell, I've decided to stick to Ivy. I've been out of the game for nearly 6 years PC wise so I'm pretty much starting from scratch again, read the OP and it's extremely helpful in that regard so many thanks to Hazaro and many others for their input in this thread.

Of what I can remember my current build is:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33Ghz
8Gb 1333
Geforce GTX 260

Budget: £800 - £880
Main use: Gaming 5 emulation 3 General Usage 1
Monitor Resolution: 1680 x 1050 Not buying a new monitor unless this one dies.
Games that must run well: Arma 2, Battlefield 3 (hopefully 4 too as I've skipped everything really since Bad Company 2 ran like crap on this machine and Battlefield 3 just laughed at me) Arma 3.
60fps preferably although I know the Arma engine is badly optimised so not expecting miracles (I get about 5 to 20fps if I'm lucky in DayZ atm), although everything else I kinda want as smooth as possible.
I wont be reusing any parts bar the mouse etc.
Overclocking: maybe, so I added the reccomended cpu fan.
I have a friend who's building this for me within the next 2 weeks or so.

This is what I have so far:
PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/13jQV
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/13jQV/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/13jQV/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£101.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.97 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (£312.09 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.90 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£62.50 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.19 @ Aria PC)
Total: £881.61
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-05 21:24 BST+0100)

Just wondering if there's any way to improve this while still staying below budget? I decided on the 7970 due to the 3gb ram, trying to future proof as much as I can to ward off the upgrade monster for as long as possible, would this generally see me through longer or just go for the 7950?

We've been saving for a bit in preperation for this and it looks like both me and my girlfriend will be made reduntant quite soon (both work for the same company, been there 16 years) so the budget is pretty much set in stone :)

Change the Extreme4 to the GD55 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007JRGWC2/

Change that PSU to this http://www.ebuyer.com/283835-be-quiet-pure-power-530w-modular-psu-bn181

mkenyon

Banned
I don't think I can exchange the chip, if there is nothing truly faulty about it other than higher temps. And if I take it and they test and say it runs fine, then I still wasted all that time.

I'll probably try reseating the cooler and reapplying thermal paste. I'm just trying to figure out what thermal paste to buy.
Phobya HeGrease, Prolimatech PK-3. Indigo Extreme if you want a perfect mount.
Where can I get computer parts without paying California tax? I know Tigerdirect is one.
Maybe NCIXUS?
Here we go:

Is the H100i paste that bad?

I haven't looked at thermal paste in a while. Any recommendations?

Also ignore the SSD temperature, that's the program being dumb. It's around 30-32 based on HWMonitor.

I also was forced to set my fans as exhaust as the stupid 600T does not have enough headroom for fans and creates a huge noise when the fans are placed as intake versus exhaust. Corsair disappointed me in that one regard.
It's not great, but it's not bad. The best and worst TIM with a similar mount will only net you a few degrees.

The issue might be with the mount. Make sure you are tightening it in the same way you would do a car tire.

If it is:

1 2
3 4

You want to do 1-4-3-2-1-4-3-2

You can actually install the H100 through the larger fan holes, allowing you to offset it and clear your MOSFET heatsink if that is of interest.

I have a *lot* of experience with the 600T, and I'll dig up some extra tips to improve airflow. Need to finish some work first though.

Addnan

Shouldn't there be a Sandy-E build in the old OP?

Do the other z77 Asrock boards have similar problem as extreme4? There's quite a few still in OP, mostly pro4in the lower budget builds.

kharma45

Shouldn't there be a Sandy-E build in the old OP?

Do the other z77 Asrock boards have similar problem as extreme4? There's quite a few still in OP, mostly pro4in the lower budget builds.

I am pretty sure the Extreme6 is fine from what I remember.

mkenyon

Banned
It's pretty much impossible to find a budget board that isn't lacking in one way or another. You more or less have to pick which issue is going to be the least (or not at all) noticeable.

The issue with the Extreme 4 is that we erroneously put it in the same category for the person that might be trying to push an OC fairly hard, which is when things start to go wrong with that board.

Addnan

I've been lobbying for this for a long while now.

Force him to put it in OP :p. Price wise it seems worth going for a 3820 if you are in for the top end of builds in the OP.

I guess that makes sense about the Asrocks then. Thanks for clearing that up people.

kharma45

Force him to put it in OP :p. Price wise it seems worth going for a 3820 if you are in for the top end of builds in the OP.

I guess that makes sense about the Asrocks then. Thanks for clearing that up people.

It'll happen when I get some AMD in at the low end :p

There's definitely a discrepancy between HWMonitor and the Gigabyte software, which is odd to me, don't they take their reading from the same..... thing? I would think the motherboard would only be able to record a single temperature, and that this software just pulls from that.

So under load HWM was floating mainly between 58-60C while EasyTune was showing about 51C. HWM readings still seemed a bit erratic though..... Regardless, I'm well below the need to worry, I have a small OC going, and my heatsink is completely silent. I'm more than happy.

Temps_zps207732d0.jpg~original

Smash88

Banned
There's definitely a discrepancy between HWMonitor and the Gigabyte software, which is odd to me, don't they take their reading from the same..... thing? I would think the motherboard would only be able to record a single temperature, and that this software just pulls from that.

So under load HWM was floating mainly between 58-60C while EasyTune was showing about 51C. HWM readings still seemed a bit erratic though..... Regardless, I'm well below the need to worry, I have a small OC going, and my heatsink is completely silent. I'm more than happy.

Temps_zps207732d0.jpg~original

Yeah I don't get it either. I've always used HWMonitor and Coretemp, and it's always resulted in correct readings. I can't tell you why it's not working properly.

What's really weird is your GPU is running at 25C? That's insane, I wish I had those temps, my GPU idles @ 37C @ 30% fan. Is your fan profile different? Everything just seems 10C cooler for you versus my setup. Is it the room, or do you have cooling throughout your house? Also am I reading this correctly? Your GPU fan is @ 10%?

Also reposting for new page:

Smash88 said:
Unfortunately I can't get my hands on any of those.

I do have some Arctic MX-2 left from a couple years ago.

Also if you didn't like that and had to pick which one from this list:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/adva...128&keywords=thermal&cPath=&sort=2&filter_id=

kharma45

Lets not go crazy now. People are trying to save money on the low end builds, not increase their electricity usage :D
I actually know very little about the low end AMD

I think the Athlon 750K and Phenom II X4 965 are genuinely better options over the Pentium at the low end, and the FX 6300/6350 over the 3220 i3.

mkenyon

Banned
Unfortunately I can't get my hands on any of those.

I do have some Arctic MX-2 left from a couple years ago.

Also if you didn't like that and had to pick which one from this list:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/adva...128&keywords=thermal&cPath=&sort=2&filter_id=

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=27174&vpn=NT-H1&manufacture=Noctua

That'll do too
It'll happen when I get some AMD in at the low end :p
But when they have enough money to upgrade, they'll be stuck with a AM3+ motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom